[DevDiary] Fairy Area Improvement: Animating

Mil

http://devblog.runescape.com/view_post.ws?post_id=17

Hello, I am Mod Biscuits and I would like to take you through the experiences I had producing the new fairy quest.

fairyscenethumb.jpg

With the fairy concept art and models looking great it was up to me as the animator to give them personality and life. It was the first time I had responsibility over the animation of an entire race in RuneScape. Before I could start I needed a clear understanding of how these fairies would behave. To do this I worked closely with Mod Alec, Mod GG and Mod Ingrid to discuss how they would move and interact in the world of RuneScape.

Developing the characteristics of the fairies

fairyframesthumb.jpg

Two frames of animation

We decided to make the fairies quite similar to insects with very fast beating wings and fast, erratic movements. I also wanted to stay clear from the stereotypical cute fairy, while still keeping a delicate and feminine feel to them. Previously, all the fairies moved in a similar way, now the Fairy Queen, Godfather and his henchmen all have unique animations that set them apart. The Fairy Queen and Godfathers movements are less erratic than the generic fairies to give them a more regal feel. The Fairy Queens motions are steadier and more graceful, reflecting her royalty. The Godfather is very similar to the Fairy Queen, with less movement compared to his henchmen, and he hovers with his hands behind his back to show superiority. The Godfather's henchmen both have their own unique style also. Slim Louie looks dangerous and ready for a fight and Fat Rocco is awkward and unfit - he holds on to his hat when he moves and occasionally needs to pull his trousers up.

Techniques used in animation

fairyanim.gif

Best viewed in Mozilla Firefox

I wanted to produce the effect of motion blur on the fairies' wings to enhance the feeling of speed, but it is very difficult to achieve this effect without processor-heavy graphics techniques. Motion blur is an effect usually seen on film when something is moving too fast for the shutter to capture, thus resulting in a blurred image. In a game, the image is drawn to the screen as quickly as the screen can refresh, resulting in no blurred effect. In order to make the wings look as though they are moving fast enough to blur, Ive modelled the path of the wings' motion with polygons. I can then animate the transparency value of these polygons to fake the effect of motion blur. This makes the wings look like theyre beating faster than they actually are.

Im glad I had the chance to animate such a unique race in Runescape. This project has been a lot of fun and I hope everybody likes what we have done with the fairies.

We've animated a few of the fairies, as you can see, but we still have a fair few more to finish off before the project can to go to QA.

I don't like the attempt at motion blur. It doesn't look right, and looks more like someone stuck half of one of those cones vets put around a dog's head onto the fairy.

[hide]

Damnit, I tripped over Magzar's half inflated blow-up doll and hurt myself. I wish he wouldn't leave that thing lying around. -.-

[/hide]

Interesting enough, although I don't really care much for the fairy quest line. I want to see the completion of the dwarf quest line.

Mod Biscuits > Mod Cake

Mod Kebab>Mod Biscuits>Mod Cake

:mrgreen:

On topic, Fairy quest is interesting. I like it. :D

Does the fact that the main topic of discussion here is the name of the mod say more about the mod's name, or about the diary?

The name. I don't even read the diaries, I just like looking at the pictures \'

wl7w9j.png

I don't like the attempt at motion blur. It doesn't look right, and looks more like someone stuck half of one of those cones vets put around a dog's head onto the fairy.

I think when it is actually put into the game you wont notice the cone like look behind it as there will actually be a background.

The process of animating was neat to read and it looks like it will look great in the game.

Mod Biscuits ftw! ::'

Interesting enough, although I don't really care much for the fairy quest line. I want to see the completion of the dwarf quest line.

Mod Biscuits > Mod Cake

Mod Kebab>Mod Biscuits>Mod Cake

:mrgreen:

On topic, Fairy quest is interesting. I like it. :D

Nah:

Mod Cuppa Tea > Mod Biscuits > Mod Cake

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

They're so cute and childlike!

Reminds me of the scene in Artemis Fowl where Arty captures a female fairy and is all like 'she's so small and dainty... nonono she's my prisoner now and dammit she had a gun shut up conscience'

... Or something like that.

Byeah. I laaaike these new fairies. They're muuuch better.

Balance may be power, but chaos is still pretty damn fun.

Lielac.png

Canada can't be second rate, polar bears are their main mode of transportation.

You all seem so obsessed with Mod Biscuits, but you seem to forget something :ohnoes:

To do this I worked closely with Mod Alec, Mod GG and Mod Ingrid to discuss how they would move and interact in the world of RuneScape.

Am I the ONLY one to notice "Mod GG"? :shame: :ugeek: :twisted:

cheap_labour.png

Woohoo........

Am I the ONLY one to notice "Mod GG"? :shame: :ugeek: :twisted:

I'm confused.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Mod Biscuits, I would die for a name like that. That's an awesome name.

Nice work coming along on the Fairies though, I can't wait to walk around in Zanaris 3.0