Help test a game in Cambridge

Nukearcher

What the hell Jagex?!? What. The. Hell. Why are you asking for random kids in Cambridge to test your update when you could, far more easily, just ask a few members on the forums? Why not just saunter down to the high level forum and ask? They would, obviously, be the most help testing ANY update. Just have them agree to a confidentiality agreement and there it you are. Done. And it could be done over the internet. Much easier. Instead, they do this.

*sigh* I wish they would ask us to test. Or at least the pmods (I'm not a pmod). They don't want us, obviously.

Ah, well. Now we know that their target group really IS 11-16.

It seems so.

Does it SAY players? No. It says "Jagex Games Studio, the Cambridge-based computer game developer, is looking for a number of 11- to 16-year-olds to test a new update to RuneScape, the worlds most popular free-to-play game." Not necessarily players. It may be IMPLIED but you can't infer anything when it comes to the business world. Furthermore, if they are players, they may be very inexperienced and young. I don't know about you, but I don't want an eleven year old F2P with a 789 skill total telling Jagex what he thinks of an update prior to release and when in a position that gives his opinion more weight.

Lol yeah we are gonna end up with kiddie content!

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmmm, sounds Big...

Too bad I live on the other side of Cambridge (sorta) -.-

Plus game vouchers? :?

Elricedward.png
Barrows Items: 1x Dharok's Platelegs, 1x Veracs's Plateskirt, 1x Dharok's Greataxe, 2x Torag's Platelegs, 1x Akrisae's War Mace, 1x Ahrim's Robeskirt, 3x Akrisae's Robetop, 1x Guthan's Warspear, 1x Akrisae's Robeskirt, 1x Torag's Helm, 2x Verac's Brassard, 1x Karil's Pistol Crossbow

I hope that the kids who play RS in their offices give them good feedback.

Hopefully Jagex will finally go, "Oh..."

Someone needs to go in there with a screen capturing program on a USB and maybe take some footage for all us people not in England. :D

Big_Stingman.png

What the hell Jagex?!? What. The. Hell. Why are you asking for random kids in Cambridge to test your update when you could, far more easily, just ask a few members on the forums? Why not just saunter down to the high level forum and ask? They would, obviously, be the most help testing ANY update. Just have them agree to a confidentiality agreement and there it you are. Done. And it could be done over the internet. Much easier. Instead, they do this.

*sigh* I wish they would ask us to test. Or at least the pmods (I'm not a pmod). They don't want us, obviously.

It seems so.

Does it SAY players? No. It says "Jagex Games Studio, the Cambridge-based computer game developer, is looking for a number of 11- to 16-year-olds to test a new update to RuneScape, the worlds most popular free-to-play game." Not necessarily players. It may be IMPLIED but you can't infer anything when it comes to the business world. Furthermore, if they are players, they may be very inexperienced and young. I don't know about you, but I don't want an eleven year old F2P with a 789 skill total telling Jagex what he thinks of an update prior to release and when in a position that gives his opinion more weight.

Player moderators who are fun orb players got to test the kickabout game before it was released. So maybe Jagex is trying to actually make content that won't make you lose 300M if you logout or make monster not retaliate.

@Raven I'm sure if you apply to be a tester stuff like time played and levels will come into play when they choose who to accept (well I hope atleast).

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

It seems so.

Player moderators who are fun orb players got to test the kickabout game before it was released. So maybe Jagex is trying to actually make content that won't make you lose 300M if you logout or make monster not retaliate.

@Raven I'm sure if you apply to be a tester stuff like time played and levels will come into play when they choose who to accept (well I hope atleast).

They released a kickabout beta so everyone got to test it before it was done. I did. 'Show'd me not to waste my time, it's not my type of game.

I don't know if it's been mentionned in the thread yet, but Jagex probably already have enough testers that are of working age.

This is a call to people they can't hire to test: kids and teens.

Just because they are looking for this demographic to test something doesn't mean that this is their target demographic. For those who wish that they asked them to test their updates, I'm pretty sure you could simply apply for a job in Cambridge and hope you get pick.

I don't know what the fuzz is with people being annoyed by their target demographic so much. I mean what do you want them to say? Would you want them to state : Our target demographic are young males ages 12 to 25 who are scared of girls, live with their parents and would rather play on the computer than hang out with friends on a friday night...

Just throw your insecurities out the window and enjoy the game.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

I didn't know that. :)

In reality,JaGex just wants to throw the blame on these 11-16 year old testers when someone loses 350mil from a buggy update.

I lol'ed. What about mechscape?

I hope those lil kids know what they are doing...come to thinkof it I know quite a few 14 yr olds who know more about RS than me. Let's hope they get a lot of those.

See I don't understand Jagex, I really REALLY don't. They get some random GOD DAMN kids to beta test an update instead of their actual GOD DAMN players who PLAY AND LOVE the game and will give feedback just as well probably even better.

They do open beta test for FunOrb why the **** not RuneScape?!!?!?!?

xxteargodxx.png

See I don't understand Jagex, I really REALLY don't. They get some random GOD DAMN kids to beta test an update instead of their actual GOD DAMN players who PLAY AND LOVE the game and will give feedback just as well probably even better.

They probably have lots of beta testers on the payroll. What they lack is the behavior of kids and mid teens and since they can't hire them...

I would bet that these kids who will show up for testing are established players and not some random kids. People are jumping to wrong conclusions a lot on these boards.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

They probably have lots of beta testers on the payroll. What they lack is the behavior of kids and mid teens and since they can't hire them...

I would bet that these kids who will show up for testing are established players and not some random kids. People are jumping to wrong conclusions a lot on these boards.

People also seem to be missing the fact these have to be LOCAL people.

This clearly implies it is something that cannot be tested over the net and has to be at jagex HG.

So its either:

Something very intricate and precise that needs supervision

Something physical (eg security key) and thus not usable over the net for testing means.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Shows you who Jagex is designing the game for no matter what president BS writes in his clan chat. :-#

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

Shows you who Jagex is designing the game for no matter what president BS writes in his clan chat. :-#

Accept that 2 posts or so above you there confirmation from RSOF that the age rnage the ad states atm is wrong and it was supposed to be 2 years higher, aka 13 - 18.

Equally as pointed out ten zillion times already the key about this is: You can't legally hire young teens.

Jagex QA team will be made up of adults, all minimum 18+ (probably nearer 20+)

A testing focus group allows them to work with the younger ages they can't hire.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

OMG 18 means I can go *freaks out*

I'm going to calculate how much a train to Cambridge will cost now. *drools*

I'm tempted to go but I'm 22 :(

I'll ask if I can go though lol :D

Surely this is [/hype]...?

Ideally applicants would not be familiar with Runescape.

The purpose for their testers is probably something we couldn't even guess

johannase.jpg

Thank you to tripsis for an awesome sig!

Wait, so MMG needs kids to come down and worship him in person? Suppose the kids worpshipping on on the Forums isn't enough.

Kinda sad. -.-

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

Well Racheya if you go I demand pictures and insider info! :twisted:

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

Wait, so MMG needs kids to come down and worship him in person? Suppose the kids worpshipping on on the Forums isn't enough.

Kinda sad. -.-

Err... no. They're asking for game testers :|

It's what companies do, make games and test them.

Trust me I would do :twisted: I are sekrit Tip.It ninja.

Although the chances of me going are pretty slim considering it'll take a 5 hour train to get there =/

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Kinda sad. -.-

Err... no. They're asking for game testers :|

It's what companies do, make games and test them.

Trust me I would do :twisted: I are sekrit Tip.It ninja.

Although the chances of me going are pretty slim considering it'll take a 5 hour train to get there =/

I was kidding, but on a serious note, you just know they're asking for someone to suicide bomb them over the removal of old wild, unbalanced trades, etc.

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

*explodes* Wow that would be amazing, it's perfect for me! I live not too far from Cambridge, I'm 16, I'll be applying for University there, and the experience would really help my application.

Wow.

Do it. DO IT!

If I could I'd travel to Cambridge. It's literally HOURS away but I would ;(

You think? I might send in an email then. I mean, it would be quite nice to actually find out what working there would be like.

EDIT: Just for confirmation, do you guys think this would be a good idea?

~ W ~

sigzi.png