200M in all Skills

Makilio

So lets say at 18 I make a successful company, end up doing extremely well - make 20million from it. Decide that 20m is enough for 1 lifetime and play runescape after. Would that be a leech on society or retirement? :lol:

Not saying I indend on doing that, id continue working even if i made my fortunes but if I didnt id hardly say id be a leech.

Well, technically speaking, at that point you've stopped contributing to society, so by one definition you are indeed a leech (and a NEET).

Now, if you consider that you can still contribute to society without attending school/job training/being active employed, then maybe not so much. Or if you take the view that once you've achieved a certain degree of success it is permissible to stop contributing to sciety, as you have reached your quota for life.

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

I like the way it has boiled down to other people deciding whether or not you have achieved in life. Achievement is subjective, a person could obtain high levels of life satisfaction and fulfillment by counting every item made out of wood in the country he lives in then logging (pardon the pun) his findings in a filing cabinet and feeling as though he has really achieved something in his life. Does that mean his life was a waste?

It's a horrific example but it's the best I could come up with on the spot.

Athymy.png

I like the way it has boiled down to other people deciding whether or not you have achieved in life. Achievement is subjective, a person could obtain high levels of life satisfaction and fulfillment by counting every item made out of wood in the country he lives in then logging (pardon the pun) his findings in a filing cabinet and feeling as though he has really achieved something in his life. Does that mean his life was a waste?

The issue is that there are two viewpoints to answer that question from: The viewpoint of the individual says that it's not a waste at all (he's happy, isn't he? That's all that matters, right?), while the view of the community says that it's a horrible waste (Did he make the community any better? Unless they desperately needed such a log, definitely not, and bettering your community is all that matters, right?).

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

The issue is that there are two viewpoints to answer that question from: The viewpoint of the individual says that it's not a waste at all (he's happy, isn't he? That's all that matters, right?), while the view of the community says that it's a horrible waste (Did he make the community any better? Unless they desperately needed such a log, definitely not, and bettering your community is all that matters, right?).

I'm all for bettering the community and the advancement of human kind, but could you define this, in your own words?

Would you say that all of the people that follow the set pattern that society has laid out for them really contribute to the advancement of human kind, or do they mindlessly follow orders to make the minority even richer?

In my opinion, the people that feel that they have something to contribute will do so, the people who don't won't. Do you think people like machine line factory workers, right up to wealthy bankers do what they do to contribute to society, or do they do it to either scrape by in life/reach personal ambitions, respectively?

Edit: This has gotten so far off topic that I am certain that the mods are going to swoop in within minutes.

Athymy.png

I'm all for bettering the community and the advancement of human kind, but could you define this, in your own words?

Would you say that all of the people that follow the set pattern that society has laid out for them really contribute to the advancement of human kind, or do they mindlessly follow orders to make the minority even richer?

In my opinion, the people that feel that they have something to contribute will do so, the people who don't won't. Do you think people like machine line factory workers, right up to wealthy bankers do what they do to contribute to society, or do they do it to either scrape by in life/reach personal ambitions, respectively?

Edit: This has gotten so far off topic that I am certain that the mods are going to swoop in within minutes.

Oh, I definitely don't think following society's set pattern results in a bettering of overall community/human kind. I tend to side with the individual's point of view in my description above; I was mostly explaining the view of James2k06 as being loosely valid, even if he doesn't say it as such.

I think most, if not all, people are motivated on an individual basis, and for the most part that winds up benefiting society in one way or another.

ETA: Sorry, sometimes I forget that my vocal inflection and body language don't carry over well online; I've probably been misunderstood a bit in this thread. I'll try to be more clear.

Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

That story was great, such a perfect ironic ending.

Even though life is so much easier (easier meaning very easy to stay alive, unless you had the great misfortune of being born in certain different countries than I) for many of us than it ever was in human history, it's very apparent to most observers that in general people aren't feeling any happier than they used to.

I think this goes to show that trying to make the world "a better place" and contributing to society is a futile gesture in some ways because what people really want is happiness, not an easy ride. Therefore, people who nolife Runescape, the Massively Single Player Online Career brought to you by JageX, aren't being the evil scumbags who need to stop being slaves online and be a slave IRL that we sometimes think they are.

EDIT: and I hope the mods don't swoop in because I feel this is very relevant to 200m all skills.

@VIv wouldn't Ayn Rand be hatin hard on people like Suomi? That's what I gathered from reading Atlas Shrugged (don't bother reading that shit, it's such a tl;dr with a fantasy philosophy and impossibly perfect characters and a female protagonist who sleeps with three perfect men lol) I'm not sure that people being completely motivated for themselves and playing video games all day ends up benefiting society in the end.

noobs crowding hill giants? not on my watch

Oh, I definitely don't think following society's set pattern results in a bettering of overall community/human kind. I tend to side with the individual's point of view in my description above; I was mostly explaining the view of James2k06 as being loosely valid, even if he doesn't say it as such.

I think most, if not all, people are motivated on an individual basis, and for the most part that winds up benefiting society in one way or another.

ETA: Sorry, sometimes I forget that my vocal inflection and body language don't carry over well online; I've probably been misunderstood a bit in this thread. I'll try to be more clear.

Ayn Rand lol :P
StarViv.png

Good prediction.

Discussing leeches of society in a topic titled 200M in all Skills is a bit of a stretch to call on-topic.

I'd like to remind you all of this post in the very first page of this topic:

EVERYONE READ

I would like to remind everyone of some of our Tip.It Forum Rules:

• Section 1.2 - Spamming: If your post is not a substantial contribution to the topic, don't post at all. We do not permit pointless replies.

• Section 1.3 - Flaming: We do not tolerate flaming, insulting, or personally attacking other users. This includes but is not limited to calling people names (saying people are idiots/ignorant/stupid/etc.), attacking people for having poor grammar/spelling, and harassing/insulting people for whatever reason.

• Section 1.4 - Stay on Topic: All posts in a thread must be on topic. We understand that some threads evolve naturally, but drastic and/or sudden topic changes are not permitted. It is irksome and disruptive for the people who actually want to discuss the topic at hand. If you want to talk about something else, you need to create a new thread or take it to private message. Unrelated conversations are not permitted.

• Section 2.8 - Tip.It Staff: When a moderator comes in to remove posts and/or put an end to an argument/off topic conversation, you need to listen to them. If you feel that their actions were unfair or unwarranted, you should not complain on the thread or criticize the moderator publicly. You should PM an administrator with links to the thread/posts and present your case. The administrator will thoroughly review the situation. If the actions were acceptable, the situation will be thoroughly explained to you to help you understand why the actions were taken. If the actions were inappropriate, they will be reversed.

We are serious about these rules guys. If you feel that any of these rules are unfair or need revising, create a thread in Forum Updates & Suggestions. If you want to complain about a specific moderator and/or their actions, you're welcome to PM me or any other admin. Don't complain about it here.

I hope we can avoid any future off-topic rants in the future. We don't want to dish out warnings or bans but if the rule-breaking persists, we don't have much of a choice. I hope this is a fair warning to everyone.

If you want to talk about retirement, leeches of society, etc, please take it to the Off Topic forum instead of this thread.

hzyi3.gif

Thanks to Iglw for the amazing signature!

That story was great, such a perfect ironic ending.

Even though life is so much easier (easier meaning very easy to stay alive, unless you had the great misfortune of being born in certain different countries than I) for many of us than it ever was in human history, it's very apparent to most observers that in general people aren't feeling any happier than they used to.

I think this goes to show that trying to make the world "a better place" and contributing to society is a futile gesture in some ways because what people really want is happiness, not an easy ride. Therefore, people who nolife Runescape, the Massively Single Player Online Career brought to you by JageX, aren't being the evil scumbags who need to stop being slaves online and be a slave IRL that we sometimes think they are.

EDIT: and I hope the mods don't swoop in because I feel this is very relevant to 200m all skills.

@VIv wouldn't Ayn Rand be hatin hard on people like Suomi? That's what I gathered from reading Atlas Shrugged (don't bother reading that shit, it's such a tl;dr with a fantasy philosophy and impossibly perfect characters and a female protagonist who sleeps with three perfect men lol) I'm not sure that people being completely motivated for themselves and playing video games all day ends up benefiting society in the end.

lol not sure but she values peoples personal choice to do anything the want and yea i didnt read that shit ^.^.

on topic - we will see how many people are accually members of rs when highscores changes any bets? they cant overestimate and brag the amount of subscribers now!

crazy how suomi has a 600m lead on elias/jd ect....

StarViv.png

It's true, S U O M I has an ungodly lead on almost everyone. Only three other people have hit 3b exp, and he's already at 3.6b? Unreal. It's also interesting to point out that he has more than double the xp of the last few players on the front page. I'm excited to see him plow through rc xp as well; in fact he's already well on his way.

Also, I truly truly truly wish I could be a NEET :D [bleep] society, tbh.

O sweet, a nolife debate, we haven't had 1 of dem for like 300 page, reminds me of th' good ol' days

OT: Do you guys want me to still include the inactives in updates, personally I'd rather not support Jagex's greedy moneymaking scheme and take people such as my dear friend Elias out of his position that he rightfully earned - But it's up to you guys. What say ye?

A13d.png

O sweet, a nolife debate, we haven't had 1 of dem for like 300 page, reminds me of th' good ol' days

OT: Do you guys want me to still include the inactives in updates, personally I'd rather not support Jagex's greedy moneymaking scheme and take people such as my dear friend Elias out of his position that he rightfully earned - But it's up to you guys. What say ye?

Eh, if there not going for 200m skills, why should they be in the update?

Miseryism | Completionist

Anyone who criticizes SUOMI for how much time he spends playing runescape, remember that what he is going to accomplish is going to so colossal that it will most likely be the grandest achievement in MMORPG history. So in other words, he will be breaking a world record.

So those of you who criticize SUOMI should go get the latest Guinness Book of World Records and point to 80% of the world record holders and mock them as well.

I hate to quote a diabolist, but "do what thou whilt".

Assuming you aren't killing people or something of that nature. That is obviously different.

Oh and the guy who said that SUOMI is a leech of society, that is not correct. He doesn't live off the government or money borrowed from others, so he is not a leech.

the-graduate-bus.png

Because I'm not going to write an update that consists solely of Suomi, Dragonseance, Gemeos2, and the next person who posts.

A13d.png

Because I'm not going to write an update that consists solely of Suomi, Dragonseance, Gemeos2, and the next person who posts.

I laugh every time someone mentions gemeos2 in this thread.

But yeh, theres also no point in saying -inactive- every update, unless of course they gain some moar ez expz

Personally I think that the hiscores are supposed to show them simply because they have invested the necessary time and effort to earn their rightful place... I'm not going to screw up what the hiscores should be just becauase Jagex is doing it for monetary purposes... (Unless of course, the vote is pretty much unanimous for me to exclude inactives in the updates)

A13d.png

Personally I think that the hiscores are supposed to show them simply because they have invested the necessary time and effort to earn their rightful place... I'm not going to screw up what the hiscores should be just becauase Jagex is doing it for monetary purposes... (Unless of course, the vote is pretty much unanimous for me to exclude inactives in the updates)

No, i just thought the list was for updating people on exp gains, goals etc.

Anyway, are most of the inactives F2P?

No, i just thought the list was for updating people on exp gains, goals etc.

Anyway, are most of the inactives F2P?

according to alog telmo isnt but elias is i guess zarfot is and paper and aasiwat are.

maybe include them at the bottom - high exp inactives? i mean they all arent gunna get 200m all but are closer than the people below them...

StarViv.png

I think you should keep inactives on the updates list. The updates are a list of the top 15 with overall experience - it wouldn't make sense to me if you removed them simply because they aren't currently playing.

I don't think it would be fair to strip people of their ranking and give it to those who haven't yet earned it.

hzyi3.gif

Thanks to Iglw for the amazing signature!

There's pretty much a universal consensus against the hiscores update; I haven't heard anything positive about it that didn't come directly from Jagex, at any rate.

I just hope Jagex stops shooting themselves in the foot when they just so recently got a huge victory over bots.

Edwin_Hubble.png