07-Oct-2009 - High-level Herblore Potions

Mdeoxys

This update kind of bothers me. Now it's essentially a requirement for all accounts that want to viably participate in pvp to raise herblore, a noncombat skill. Runescape has always had a large if not total degree of separation of combat and noncombat skills and it's really weird for them to suddenly change that policy without any kind of notice. Firemaking for the hand cannon, and now this? What's next, super powered weapons you can't have unless you make them with fletching / smithing? Devastating spells only from untradeable tabs made with high RC and Construction? I think if they're going to make high skills a requirement for combat, they need to address the combat level system and the necessity of multiple accounts for pvp.

not really, almost no one has it so there is currently no obligation

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This update kind of bothers me. Now it's essentially a requirement for all accounts that want to viably participate in pvp to raise herblore, a noncombat skill. Runescape has always had a large if not total degree of separation of combat and noncombat skills and it's really weird for them to suddenly change that policy without any kind of notice. Firemaking for the hand cannon, and now this? What's next, super powered weapons you can't have unless you make them with fletching / smithing? Devastating spells only from untradeable tabs made with high RC and Construction? I think if they're going to make high skills a requirement for combat, they need to address the combat level system and the necessity of multiple accounts for pvp.

not really, almost no one has it so there is currently no obligation

Hey, if we go back to old school Jagex, then this is in line with some of their oldest beliefs. OSJ, and this was back before even RS2, but they constantly derided and criticized pures/skillers. They didn't like the idea of them producing this whole game and then people only playing a certain part of it and ignoring the rest. If they're going back to that, then yes we could see more stuff like this, which I absolutely love. I pray for nontradeable, powerful weapons that you're required to make yourself.

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

Yeah, I think high levels do deserve to have exclusive rights to certain equipment that they have to make themselves.

Besides, when I was messing with PvP a while ago, some people called me out for using super sets, so frankly, if they're going to complain about x-sets or od (that's what we're calling them now, right? saying "extreme set" or "overdose" seems a bit too long for illiterate rs players), they can go *censored*.

Anyway, does anybody else think that Overdose looks a bit....sinister? I mean, you would think that mixing five really strong potions together would create a pitch black substance, but it just sits there waiting for somebody to drink it so that it can own them. It's like supersteroids or something, zammy brew doesn't even come close.

8f14270694.jpg

Quick question in regards to special attack energy. Does it refill based on a ongoing timer (similar to skills and hp), or does it only start refilling once you've emptied some?

it's ongoing. if you time it right you can msb spec twice in a row

In that case, it would still be possible to double spec with dark bow (and pot). Jagex changed dark bow to use up 65% of bar, in an attempt to avoid double specs, but if you time it right (like the example of msb spec), you'll be able to Spec (100-65=35), Drink pot (35+25=60), then have a bit of your SA energy recharged for the extra 5% needed.

Dbow pkers will simply have to use an ongoing timer to measure spec recharge.

Another thought: Jagex has set a new precedent for untradeable equipment (perhaps in an attempt to discourage merch clans). One might gain smithing levels, for the odd chance that Jagex releases untradeable weapons which must be self-made (smithing prices would skyrocket).

Koanga.png

Barrows: Verac's flail, Karil's top, Karil's skirt, Guthan's skirt (x2), Dharok's plate, Torag's hammers.

Oye, IDEA!

I think the high level potions SHOULD be tradable.

But have a minimum herblore to use.

That way you can do fun things like potting up your herblore just expecting your fight... and if potions damaged your herblore just because you quaff one to many, that's a whole 'nother level of interesting.

Wait, you think OD is more of a PvM thing? Seriously? I mean, if you take a look at pures, they've sacrificed their entire playing style in order to be able to get a surprise big hit in to end the fight. Just think of how much more likely you are to score the fatal hit if you suddenly juice up and crank all your combat stats (aside from HP) by 26 points or so since it scales, then take the next swing. And since it won't actually affect you combat level, this pretty much plays into the hands of a pure with a lot of money to burn.

Of course, if you're a true pure, you'd only need the strength pot, but now everybody else can get in on that.

Besides, in PvM, you have plenty of time to down the whole x-set without the horrific consequences, plus you won't waste the magic and ranged pots.

8f14270694.jpg

What irritates me is that we all complain and moan about how there's not enough high level content. When they finally put something like this out, everyone complains because it's too high level for THEM and they can't buy it, you actually have to put some effort in.

Winters Omen.png

5,693rd to 99 Slayer on 10/08/2009

Well, yeah, nobody really wants to spend a lot of money training or farming, and magic doesn't help there. The only way they'd get that done is if they forced you to use magic to hurt the creature, and that would be just sort of tacked on. Magic has its uses, though...

8f14270694.jpg

This was a good update, it helped magic out a LOT in PvP. However magic is still completely useless in PvM.

Ice barrage will hit 45's now :ohnoes:

Magic stack anyone?

arcane_stew.png

Hypocrite. You tell others to be nice then attempt to murder people. Nice going, you just failed life.

I've completed my review of this update for my blog! Click here to view it in its entirety.

The gist: This is a great example of successful high-level content. By making the potions usable only by those with high enough herblore to brew them, Jagex has effectively provided strong incentives to train what was previously an utterly useless skill.

What's more, besides giving the rich players a new pit in which to throw their money, the rising prices of herblore ingredients as a result of the increased demand is a boon to poorer players as well, who will see increased income from farming, gathering seconds, killing chaos druids, or even typical herb-dropping slayer tasks.

All in all, thumbs-up from me. :thumbsup:

...the rising prices of herblore ingredients as a result of the increased demand is a boon to poorer players as well...

And us poor players trying to make quest levels?

Cash in on the supply-side while you wait for the prices to drop again. :thumbup:

...the rising prices of herblore ingredients as a result of the increased demand is a boon to poorer players as well...

Cash in on the supply-side while you wait for the prices to drop again. :thumbup:

You realise that might take over a month, and that even then herbs will probably be 30% more expensive.

Definitely a good update in the long run. I think I might actually consider Herblore as worth the money, but it's not going to happen for a few months yet. For the next month or two all the ingredient prices are going to be so messed up it simply won't be worth it to train until things settle back down. Hopefully we get a Farm update to fill the whole "nothing-after-85" gap.

78 herb + stew = antifire and spec pots! 70 atm

if im right the overload pot restores your stats withing seconds of dropping so if you brew you can still stay potted i think, it says it lasts 5 mins, not wearing away like other pots, and on sosolid2ks vid after 1 min his stats went down to 124 then instantly back up to 125, and when he potted his att was behind from drinking beer buy 5 seconds later it went up more to catch the rest so realy if your 0/99 att ur going to get a +125 out of it if you wait patiently

a_final_name.png

Summary:

Overload = Powerthirst (Extreme Attack) + High Octane Redbull (Extreme Defense) + Illegal Steroids (Extreme Strength) + Concentrated Nitrous Oxide (Extreme Range) + Chuck Norris Sweat (Extreme Magic)

umvc3_sig3.jpgTokiHakurei-SatellizerelBridget2.png

Click the "Signed in as..." go to Manage ignored users, copy paste Toki_Hakurei.

I'm pretty sure having boobs is the most broken super power anyone can ever have. 0_0

Do it like us poor players who played RS before the GE and get them yourself.

Hmmmm. 27m from 80-90 herblore. Worth it or no? I LOVE this new update, even though I can't do it. It gives me a reason to train it, like agility and mining. My current goal is 85 agility and 80 mining, only because of those new items, and no i want 90 herblore, because of this update, otherwise I wouldn't have. YAYAYAY

FEARLESStag.jpg
stuff.png

what i'm doing now:

soundcloud.com/student1