Skills or Wealth Getting Rewards

Danqazmlp

After viewing the RSOF, wanting to see the views on the removal of the new high level potions on PVP, I came across somebody saying this:

'Do you like the idea of Future High Level content rewarding the Player, rather than the wealthy? '

This basically means, should new content, be buy able, or need high skills to use.

The majority of the answers to that have been yes, the player should get more rewards than the wealthy. Meaning having high skills should be worth just as much, and give just as much of an advantage in the game as GP does. Currently, this is barely happening, apart from things like quest rewards, such as ancients, or RFD gloves, most skills only give you an advantage in the sense you can use something after buying it.

Now i know a lot of skills actually take money to raise, which imbalances the question in part, but if skills actually gave an advantage, i would estimate that alot of skills which are currently money pits, would in some ways become profitable.

So basically, I'm ask you guys as the Tip.It community, Do you like the idea of Future High Level content rewarding the Player, rather than the wealthy?

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

The people that wine about GP and buying skills are all noobs, look them up they have lame totals. The more you play this game the more cash you make. It gets to a point in your runescape characters life where the only thing left to spend your cash on is skills. Then the poor lazy noobs wine because you have an advantage. Gee i wonder who it was that slayed 50k dragons so i could get 99 prayer, chances are its the same noob crying because i bought prayer.

Same with herb, where do you think all the herbs and seconds i used to get 99 came from. Chances are it was from a lower leveled character making cash on their way up the runescape ladder. All this wining by low leveled characters chaps my [wagon]. The herb nerf was not needed and ruined the best update of the year.

jagax removed the RWT from the game so WHY SHOULDENT THE CASH WE MAKE ON THE WAY UP ADD UTILITY AND VALUE TO OUR CHARACTER. Its not like we have a GP PLEASE button we can mash for free cash.

You think these potions ruin PvP? what about all the noobs PvP tricking brining all the cash into the game INFLATING THE VALUE of everything AND decreasing the value of the gold people have. You want to fix something in the game fix that ffs.

Im willing to bet the smithing and prayer updates are going to suck monkey balls because of these noobs.

GF jagax you are MMORPG dev noobs AND CAN SMOKE MY POLE.

Fools_Taco.png

Whilst I agree with you statement to a point - I'd love to use my 99 Slayer to obtain an untradeable drop that enabled me to 'enhance' an existing piece of equipment or just obtain a drop that was actually useful to me (maybe brawlers outside of PVP!!), I'm also in the camp that if you've spent time, effort & money training hard there should be some form of financial rewards involved. After all, this is the way most of us generate wealth to spend on other things (veiled dig at merchanters).

So, I feel the content reward should be an element of both player & financial rewards.

the_lad_1.png

They're equate to the same thing. The high leveled are (usually) the wealthy. The wealthy train the skills, the wealthy reap the benefits.

Every skill can be 'bought' in some shape or form except for Slayer--which is why the Slayer Cape is still one of the most respected capes out there.

hzvjpwS.gif

They're equate to the same thing. The high leveled are (usually) the wealthy. The wealthy train the skills, the wealthy reap the benefits.

Every skill can be 'bought' in some shape or form except for Slayer--which is why the Slayer Cape is still one of the most respected capes out there.

just because they can be bought doesnt always mean that it's the most efficient or fun way to train it or the way they got their capes. multi-tasking and being smart about what you buy, and what you dont sell or buy is part of the skill behind training the skills well. a lot of things have changed in the game and some people never had those"benefits" etc.

how would you buy 99 thieving, 99 mining, 99 agility, 99 fishing, 99 woodcutting, 99 hunting, and saying you can buy 99 runecrafting is a stretch too. so much for those "respected" capes in your view?

also, smart players use their time wisely in the game. to train slayer to 99 can be a great accomplishment but not so much if it's at the expense of your other skills and a more well rounded character, so i'm not really big on saying 1 cape or one style of play is so much better than another.

i do believe though that those that do take the time to train a skill deserve good rewards for their efforts and i also see those rewards as incentives to those with lower levels to achieve.

rich and poor in this game. having skills in this game > any amount of money. because you can make money with skills. though some people cant see past their personal experience and think having money=buying skills. i mean you can spend a portion on skills but multi-tasking like picking up herb seed drops, farming and herblore, fishing and cooking still exist.. and personally i enjoyed the days i mined my own ores and fished as much as i enjoy doing what i do now. and i still mine occasionally and fish etc. all part of the game and what i feel like doing. end rant.

[hide=-this is my signature- guides i've written]full list is at the top of <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?f=180&t=775754">viewtopic.php?f=180&t=775754</a><!-- l -->[/hide]

Untradeable high-level rewards are good, but shouldn't come at the cost of less new items/things that can't be accessed by anyone. It's up to JaGeX to find the balance here, but I personally would love to see more high-leveled rewards that you actually have to work for, and not see lvl 90s walking around in stuff like Bandos (yeah yeah, they've earned the money, blah blah, but it's still not a good sight.).

dirk4slayer.png

Chuck Norris doesn't ever need a compass; he randomly points somewhere and north goes there in order not to anger him.

As expalined above, the problem is, "Future High Level content rewarding the Player" is often using high level skills. But those high level skills are often "purchasable" and in turn creates the problem all over again.

As seen in this herblore update. Something that "rewards the player" still requires money to get that skill high enough to "reward the player". Its fine and dandy on paper, but it fails to provide anything to players who dont have the levels at the update. It makes leveling for them much much harder.

I would rather see updates "rewarding the player" in which all players could participate, but higher level skillers would have a significant advantage.

One example: A Redwood Tree, which can be fletched into a Redwood bow.

There is a redwood tree somewhere in runescape. Players must cut down the entire tree to get 1 log, and any player can start cutting it even at level 1 Woodcutting. The advantage is, it might take a level 1 woodcutter an hour to cut the tree down 100%, while it might only take a level 99 woodcutter 5 mintues.

Something like that is an example where everyone can participate, but people who have much higher skills have a clear advantage in the form of time. Money would have no factor at all.

That type of content is something we need more of, rather than things that are based on set levels. Since set level requirements typically have an ill effect on the economy, or nobility of a skill.

dawnsigblue-3.png

As expalined above, the problem is, "Future High Level content rewarding the Player" is often using high level skills. But those high level skills are often "purchasable" and in turn creates the problem all over again.

As seen in this herblore update. Something that "rewards the player" still requires money to get that skill high enough to "reward the player". Its fine and dandy on paper, but it fails to provide anything to players who dont have the levels at the update. It makes leveling for them much much harder.

I would rather see updates "rewarding the player" in which all players could participate, but higher level skillers would have a significant advantage.

One example: A Redwood Tree, which can be fletched into a Redwood bow.

There is a redwood tree somewhere in runescape. Players must cut down the entire tree to get 1 log, and any player can start cutting it even at level 1 Woodcutting. The advantage is, it might take a level 1 woodcutter an hour to cut the tree down 100%, while it might only take a level 99 woodcutter 5 mintues.

Something like that is an example where everyone can participate, but people who have much higher skills have a clear advantage in the form of time. Money would have no factor at all.

That type of content is something we need more of, rather than things that are based on set levels. Since set level requirements typically have an ill effect on the economy, or nobility of a skill.

interesting idea, but then all the lower levels will whine, and it will get nerfted <_<

Linkzelda30.jpeg

image2ez.png

[hide=Siggy credits]The Awesome, Epic, Amazing, S3xah A-10 Sig By Unolexi! I wub u Uno!

InsanityV2 Did the Franz Ferdinand Sig.

Killerwatt is responsible for the Arctic Monkeys sig.

Pat_61 did the B-2 sig and the raptor sig.[/hide]

I wasn't aware agility was buyable.

Guest TrixStar

I've been on a soap box for rewarding skills over riches for years. Sorry but there should be gear that only lvl 99 combat stats can wield/wear. There should be things that only lvl 99 stats can do/accomplish. It will never happen though b/c Jagex caters to complainers too much.

I've been on a soap box for rewarding skills over riches for years. Sorry but there should be gear that only lvl 99 combat stats can wield/wear. There should be things that only lvl 99 stats can do/accomplish. It will never happen though b/c Jagex caters to complainers too much.

How can you say something like that about Jagex? What about the Herbl- oh... right...

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Absolutely

I would love level 80 defense armor which was untradeable and obtainable from a monster drop (boss or not, idc)

Note: I would not like it if Jagex came out with level 80 armor which was untradeable, but, was only obtainable from high level Smithing (I believe that's too much like DIY; which isn't the feel of RS)

bike.png

Suggest a poll for Tip.it - Here!

Absolutely

I would love level 80 defense armor which was untradeable and obtainable from a monster drop (boss or not, idc)

Note: I would not like it if Jagex came out with level 80 armor which was untradeable, but, was only obtainable from high level Smithing (I believe that's too much like DIY; which isn't the feel of RS)

They could always do both. I'd say the monster drop armor should also be a tad bit better as well, since it would likely be harder to obtain.

FairTraders.net (Merchant Guides + Grand Exchange Update Notifier)

Get FREE Grand Exchange updates through the website, by email, or through your mobile device!

ftsig.png

(cheap comment:) Skill cape can only be worn by 99ers.

But yes, I agree. A 99 slayer has earned the right to for instance upgrade their whip or something similarly silly.

spuriousmonk.png

spuriousmonk.png

It doesn't really matter if the skill is buyable or not, since it still takes time to get the money. Sure you can train construction very fast, but the amount of time spend on getting the money equals things out with skills like agility. Higher lvl's often pair with bigger wealth. So in the end, if they make high lvl untradable stuff or expensive stuff, it will always be the same people whining about how 'unfair' it is to them.

nekusig2fcopy.jpg

There are three sides to every story: There's one side, there's the other, and there's the truth.

The high level players have been asking for untradable items for quite awhile now and Jagex finally decides to listen. However, they always seem to back out of everything that is in favor of people whole train skills and cater to the whiny players. With the removal of the extreme pots from PvP I'm afraid the next few high level updates will be great then get nerfed or they will just stink because they are afraid of getting whiners and rewarding those who actually skill.

Along with runecrafting and mining. It could be argued that slayer is in fact buyable as one could cannon and piety almost every single task. However most don't and we are going with the majority here.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

sorry - I should have added: and they should definitely do this for smithing - there's a skill desperately in need of a reason to train it...

Agreed, smithing would be the best skill for this. Perhaps prayer as well. To steal an idea from another thread, the ability to bless certain armors.
hopesolopatriot.jpg

Why not both? If you have a high level you can use it, but you also should be able to buy things if your rich.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

It sounds good in theory, but it wouldn't make much of a difference because the higher levels are obtained by wealth.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg