The F2P General Discussion Thread

lionesshunt

Ok then that's spear sorted assuming you're correct.

Fire staff/catalytic staff? Longbow/shortbow? Offensive binds will always trump defensive binds in dg unless you're keying on a bad team in p2p.

How different do you think p2p to f2p dg? You're acting like you can't apply the same techniques to avoid damage in p2p to f2p. I also speak from experience and about 4x more than nufftuff (I didn't want to go into that, but you cant seem to get past it.) By what you're saying, f2pers enter a dungeon and are presented with unsafespotable/unkitable/unlureable/unprayable-against monsters. It doesn't take experience in f2p to know that's not true.

There's exactly one monster that magic is better than spear against. Level 80+ warriors in argonite. He shows up once every few in a large and almost never in smalls. Fracite arrows are weaker than mith arrows. There isn't a single monster that can be out DPSed by ranged. Some bosses are more convenient to range but nevertheless it's rare that you end up using ranged at all.

And no, I never said you can't kite/safespot. There's no need though. The toughest monster you will ever face is a level 90 shade (extremely rare). Most GDs will have a few level 17 mages, a level 47 spider and various <50 skellies, zombies. Kiting around and safespotting is a humongous waste of time.

Ok then that's spear sorted assuming you're correct.

Fire staff/catalytic staff? Longbow/shortbow? Offensive binds will always trump defensive binds in dg unless you're keying on a bad team in p2p.

How different do you think p2p to f2p dg? You're acting like you can't apply the same techniques to avoid damage in p2p to f2p. I also speak from experience and about 4x more than nufftuff (I didn't want to go into that, but you cant seem to get past it.) By what you're saying, f2pers enter a dungeon and are presented with unsafespotable/unkitable/unlureable/unprayable-against monsters. It doesn't take experience in f2p to know that's not true.

There's exactly one monster that magic is better than spear against. Level 80+ warriors in argonite. He shows up once every few in a large and almost never in smalls. Fracite arrows are weaker than mith arrows. There isn't a single monster that can be out DPSed by ranged. Some bosses are more convenient to range but nevertheless it's rare that you end up using ranged at all.

So why not bind magic for when you do run into an argonite+ warrior?

And no, I never said you can't kite/safespot. There's no need though. The toughest monster you will ever face is a level 90 shade. Kiting around and safespotting is a humongous waste of time.

Say you're being attacked by a ranger and a meleer in a gd - > Safespot the meleer in between spear hits by hiding behind the ranger. 0 time wasted. This can be applied to so many different situations and in many different ways, it just makes plate seem like such a waste of a bind. Praying accordingly in gds helps too. I could go in more depth to this but I assume you get the general gist (if you don't already apply these tactics yourself, that is.)

Edit for your edit: if they're so low level what is the point in even binding a plate in the first place?

C1Geq.png

Edit for your edit: if they're so low level what is the point in even binding a plate in the first place?

Exactly what I'm wondering. But I'm guessing since they're so level, binding a plate REALLY makes a difference, lol.

By the way, I hear that ranged can do some serious output with a shortbow at 90+-99. Not sure if this is really true though.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

So why not bind magic for when you do run into an argonite+ warrior?

Say you're being attacked by a ranger and a meleer in a gd - > Safespot the meleer in between spear hits by hiding behind the ranger. 0 time wasted. This can be applied to so many different situations and in many different ways, it just makes plate seem like such a waste of a bind. Praying accordingly in gds helps too. I could go in more depth to this but I assume you get the general gist (if you don't already apply these tactics yourself, that is.)

Because that blastbox will come in handy for that one floor and save you a minute . The cosmics will save you more time over the course of a full run.

Although the monsters may be low leveled, cumulatively over an 18 min large they will do some damage. GDs are also only a partial cause of damage. I can't give a percentage but I would wager a majority of damage comes from nonsafeable things like running past monsters to get to a door, failing skill doors, traps and bosses. You are right though, w61 dgers don't use safespotting and they could benefit from that. But for most, it's not worth the trouble. I've never seen a single w61 dger bother with that ranger/melee tactic you described. That includes the very best f2p dgers

By the way, I hear that ranged can do some serious output with a shortbow at 90+-99. Not sure if this is really true though.

Not compared to 99 str/att.

Offense is better than defense. I still don't see the platebody as being an efficient bind. And Sonic, I stick with my point that armor can only be useful at bosses - well, a few at the least, such as Sagi and the skeleton horde.

By the way, the DGS folk did do an F2P dungeon recently with all combatants, and they finished under 20 minutes. (I think.) I suppose they could repeat that success if they only had 2 combatants and 3 real skillers (that do not afk.)

Prepare to Die! Path of Exile RPG

1emk2e.png

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

i for myself cut the argument, some answers here are immature and show pure ignorance, i will always respect everything i dont know about, until i am mentally and physically involved, gl on your progress in dungeoneering whatever you bind or whoever you team with

F2p's fastest leveling person :), check out my blog:

My Goal-thread to max F2P within a year and a half :P.

Nuffbutmage.png

I have longbow+arrows as my second bind/ammo. I have switched to a shortbow for awhile at 90 range. Since most of my ranging is reserved for bosses, I ended up switching back to long pretty soon after. The extra accuracy outweighs the speed against high level monsters/bosses.

I got most of my current dg lvl (93) with 45-49 def and it was a pretty easy choice for me to not bind a plate over range. Extra offense, even if relatively rarely used, is more useful for me. I was dging on another acc with around 70 str and range. First bind was a 2h and it was supremely annoying for me to not have my spine bow for certain bosses. I had to go out and train range up a few levels so the starting table would give me bow+arrows until I got up to a 2nd bind on there.

I'll argue against plate as a 2nd bind, but I'll also say plate as a 3rd bind is probably the best for almost anyone. F2p doesn't have the extra offensive binds like blood necks and ssh + a staff isn't really useful enough to constitute it as a bind imo. The only situation I can think of where gaunts would be better than plate is if you have a shortbow bound and you range majority of the monsters in the floor, but in that case a dromo body would probably be better.

It's been interesting following this. It's amazing how high level players can get so animated about two completely valid (from where I sit, anyway) yet different approaches to the same skill.

I can see how a plate might not be worth it for those who have high def/con/range, but what about us little people (ie: me) with low 50's for str/def/con and only 40 range? There are plenty of times that I need the extra protection given by a Fractite plate (...and legs...and helm...and anything else I can get my hands on) so I don't have to blow through all the food I find before I even get to the boss.

My DG is only at 38 atm, but I'll hopefully be making it to 50 before long and had always assumed I would simply grab a Fractite plate as my 2nd bind but now I'm not so sure.

Thoughts? Other than "lol noob levels you suck!" of course. ;)

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

It's been interesting following this. It's amazing how high level players can get so animated about two completely valid (from where I sit, anyway) yet different approaches to the same skill.

I can see how a plate might not be worth it for those who have high def/con/range, but what about us little people (ie: me) with low 50's for str/def/con and only 40 range? There are plenty of times that I need the extra protection given by a Fractite plate (...and legs...and helm...and anything else I can get my hands on) so I don't have to blow through all the food I find before I even get to the boss.

My DG is only at 38 atm, but I'll hopefully be making it to 50 before long and had always assumed I would simply grab a Fractite plate as my 2nd bind but now I'm not so sure.

Thoughts? Other than "lol noob levels you suck!" of course. ;)

With range that low it might not be worth it to have range bound, so yeah, plate.

Also, in my last post I was thinking more of people who have higher offensive skills and fairly even range and melee. Now that I think about it, that probably doesn't apply to majority of people. Oh well. If you have low stats you can always train.

I'll argue against plate as a 2nd bind, but I'll also say plate as a 3rd bind is probably the best for almost anyone. F2p doesn't have the extra offensive binds like blood necks and ssh + a staff isn't really useful enough to constitute it as a bind imo. The only situation I can think of where gaunts would be better than plate is if you have a shortbow bound and you range majority of the monsters in the floor, but in that case a dromo body would probably be better.

Do f2pers have 3rd binds? If they do, gaunts are also an offensive bind & like you said dromoleather body is also offensive if you have a bow as your 2nd.

C1Geq.png

Do f2pers have 3rd binds? If they do, gaunts are also an offensive bind & like you said dromoleather body is also offensive if you have a bow as your 2nd.

Yes, at 100. Gaunts/boots have low enough str bonus where they're not worth binding for me. Having your max hit raised by 6 lp doesn't make a considerable enough difference considering how often you max (not often).

Dromo body would only be ideal if range is your primary attack style, which I'd say is a small amount of players.

For the p2p-f2p comparison a big part of the difference comes from the shadow silk hood. From my perspective mages are the real bad guys, so it is obvious that a plate offers very little to them. Again from my opinion, in p2p the quicker you are able to kill the ones who can see you the less damage you will take, so maximizing offense helps to eliminate hits.

F2p binds, maybe there is an optimum bind sequence, it probably does not include the platebody. For a game I think it is most important to bind based on your play style; w61 person maximize speed that is why you are there so go for broke;

w7 with randoms keyer probably a good idea to grab that plate and cosmics;

w7 knowing what they are doing team less need for that plate;

perm team doing 1-35 together maximize the smalls saving 5 mins on 30-35 is the same as saving :45 per on 1-29.

Before reading this I had thought there was not many bind choices in f2p d'eering, but Jagex sneakily and rather skllfully gave us very close and subtle options.

Hey guys,

A very long, hard journey is about to come to a close. I am getting 99 prayer on Friday May 20 at 4:30 PM EST! Come join us on World 113 at the Port Sarim altar. The time so far is tentative, but I hope to see you there!

jOi7G.png

~PM me and I'll do my best to make you a signature!~

Another mystery of mine: regarding the spear it seems to have a rather low slash/crush compared to other weapons.

Does the versatility of the spear make up for the low accuracy? Or would it be better to bind a battleaxe/2h as a secondary for this?

If they are still inferior, and there really are no other options, I guess a plate will have to do for my 3rd.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

To Isthatok, congratulations, that is a big achievement.

Also, what is a good way to train magic for F2P, presuming I'm not interested in bones to bananas, high/low alch, superheat, any of the spells that use body runes, or teleporting?

Wish granting fairies? :lol:

Seriously though, that pretty much limits you to fire blast/crumble like K4ylan said or xp lamps.

The best thing I've found for Magic is combining it with other skills. RC + teleports, Mining + superheating, etc...

Edit: A very big congrats to Isthatok. That's an amazing accomplishment. :thumbsup:

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Also, what is a good way to train magic for F2P, presuming I'm not interested in bones to bananas, high/low alch, superheat, any of the spells that use body runes, or teleporting?

Water bolt with air staff and tome of ice or crumble undead; that said with nature runes at the price they are at..... I would alch.

Hey guys,

A very long, hard journey is about to come to a close. I am getting 99 prayer on Friday May 20 at 4:30 PM EST! Come join us on World 113 at the Port Sarim altar. The time so far is tentative, but I hope to see you there!

Very nice Istha, I hope I can make it :thumbsup:

B71AkU0.png      Fire_Hawk154.png

Another mystery of mine: regarding the spear it seems to have a rather low slash/crush compared to other weapons.

Does the versatility of the spear make up for the low accuracy? Or would it be better to bind a battleaxe/2h as a secondary for this?

If they are still inferior, and there really are no other options, I guess a plate will have to do for my 3rd.

Reposting.

In regards to magic training via combat, fire bolt/blast with the magical blastbox beats water bolt/blast with the tome of frost. Runes, especially elemental ones, barely cost anything nowadays, so conserving air runes doesn't matter. (Although, using the blastbox DOES conserve an air rune with fire spells...)

Add that to the extra damage every 5 hits. Definitely worth using in my opinion.

Also, gratz on your 15th 99 Isthatok! :thumbsup: When will you finish up rc, btw?

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

To Isthatok, congratulations, that is a big achievement.

I found superheating to be very effective, since you can train smith at the same time. But it all boils down to repetitive clicking, so I guess only magic spells that doesn't require such attention focused nature would suit your need? I started superheating to train my smith, and my mage has long surpass lvl 99 since I started even though my smith is not even 97 yet.

a happy Runescaper

In regards to magic training via combat, fire bolt/blast with the magical blastbox beats water bolt/blast with the tome of frost. Runes, especially elemental ones, barely cost anything nowadays, so conserving air runes doesn't matter.

Ah good call on the rune prices, my numbers were from ~1 year ago when the air rune price was at about 10-15. Also forgot about the saved air rune :doh!: At current blastbox fire bolt goes for about 2 gp/xp, water about 2.3

I know you mentioned that you don't want to superheat, but superheating is the way to be.

I superheated - there isn't really a better method besides high-alch, but you'll likely want to superheat for smithing anyway, which conveniently gets your mage up to 99 anyway. At least, that's how I did it, so I found no need to to high-alch.

Also, thanks everyone for the early gratz!

jOi7G.png

~PM me and I'll do my best to make you a signature!~

@isthatok early gratz on another 99:D

Btw where did you do you mining,and what was the xp per hour?

Also where did u do you woodcutting,and what was the xp per hour?

Those are my least favourite skills, so I am looking to get them both at 70:P