02-Mar-2010 - Cheating and Exploits

Aidos Drakon

Well I hope that at least you realize that many people will not agree with you on that one. This is not exactly a minor bug, you can make potentially millions in just a few hours, how is that minor?

If this was major, Jagex would have gone mass banning everybody who enchanted bolts, just like the penguin glitch.

Oh and also, the abusers are not bringing new cash into the game, only new supplies. This obviously wouldn't cause inflation, only a drop in the price of d bolts.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm under the impression that while enchanting bolts you could actually got more than what you started with ... I got banned for replacing the 1,000 that I lost while fighting black dragons with 400 or so bolts
According to the hiscores, your not banned. Stop being dumb and acting like your banned.

let's see ... I'm not banned .... let's start with the forums ...

YOU ARE BANNED

Your user account T Fal has been banned from the Forums for breaking the rules in game. You will not be able to post on the Forums until this ban has ended or been lifted.

hi-score still around ... but my adventure log ... nonexistence ...

Your account has been banned. You will not be able to see your Adventurer's Log until your account is no longer banned. Click here to view the status of your account.

following that link ... I get this

Billing Home

Welcome to the Billing Home page, where you can view your current credit status and manage your subscriptions.

Your account is currently banned for violation of our Terms and Conditions.

You may not purchase a subscription while your account is banned.

If you wish to appeal your ban, select the 'Appeal an Offence/Ban' link from our front page. Go back to the main page.

I could go on and on with screen shots and related pictures that CLEARLY show the word BAN in bright red ... but it's not necessary

If you think you are innocent, send in a polite appeal to Jagex explaining in detail what you did for the past few days. Give as much information as you can and ask them whether you were banned for the bolt dupe or something else.

Use powerful but polite words to grab their attention like "Possible Incorrect Banning". Never swear, curse or tell them they are blatantly wrong. Always be on the tame side you want them to even read your appeal.

If you have responded the way you did in this forums, they probably won't take your appeal seriously (because most bug abusers who got band would be using very rude words at Jagex). From your response in this forums, we are all currently inclined to think that you have abused a bug. In contrast, more would believe you if you had spoken in a better tone.

If you are found to be innocent, they will give you free membership as reimbursement.

Well I hope that at least you realize that many people will not agree with you on that one. This is not exactly a minor bug, you can make potentially millions in just a few hours, how is that minor?

If this was major, Jagex would have gone mass banning everybody who enchanted bolts, just like the penguin glitch.

Oh and also, the abusers are not bringing new cash into the game, only new supplies. This obviously wouldn't cause inflation, only a drop in the price of d bolts.

Or maybe Jagex upgraded their systems so they know exactly who did or not do, or because the codes at fault here is competely different from the penguins so the cheaters are more easily recongized. Just because Jagex did not mass ban does not make it minor. So you are saying if it does not cause inflation it is minor? You do not think it is tad unfair that people have gained money in just few hours while it may take honest players months of play time? Just because it does not have a huge impact on the economy does not mean it is minor, economy is not the entire game mate.

11-1.jpg[

Guild Wars 2-In game screenshot, the MMORPG you are waiting for. Click for thread.

I'm under the impression that while enchanting bolts you could actually got more than what you started with ... I got banned for replacing the 1,000 that I lost while fighting black dragons with 400 or so bolts
Losing the 1k isn't Jagex's fault, so that's not even kind-of an excuse. What I think you got banned for was not stopping the "bug abuse" even after you realized that you were getting an abnormally large number of bolts back in return. Anyone would've figured out that it was a bug, and it also happens to be common knowledge that when presented with a bug, you stop, report, and not abuse it again. I also doubt that Jagex mistook your money gain from other sources with your bug abuse. I know for a fact they have extensive logs, so it wouldn't have made a difference if you got 5 million dragon bolts from a drop party the day you abused the bug because Jagex would be able to figure out the difference. If I were you, I'd appeal and just apologize your [wagon] off and hope Jagex feels some pity. You really have no case otherwise. Tell them you didn't mean to abuse the bug.

I never said that it was Jagex's fault for me acting stupid and looking away while fighting black dragons (in the Evil Chicken Lair) ... but I died and lost 1000+ enchanted emerald bolts .... ranging ammy ... obby cape ... a few other things that I figured up to be about 1.6 mill

alas ... stupid me for looking away ... time to replace my bolts, so I went about and made new ones ...I'm playing the game that way it was supposed to be played ... honest

and the first I ever heard about any bug was whenI went to log in Tuesday and saw that I was banned for bug abuse ... me ??? .... the first thing that went thru my mind was someone stoled my account

abnormally large amount of bolts back in return ... WTF ???

30 gems (roughly), use a chisel and turn them into bolt heads ... 12 tips x 30 gems = 360 tips ... I said roughly, i may have had a few more, maybe a few less, not quite sure on the exact number, but roughly 30 gems)

I ended up with around 400 or so finished bolts

I understand that the "duping" part allowed some one to get 10 bolts for every one that they enchanted ...

that being the case I should of had over 3500 bolts

that's a far cry from the PUNY AMOUNT OF 400 I put into my bank

I feel that I should not have to apologize for something that I DID NOT DO ... on the other hand, they are the ones that OWE ME an apologize

wrong place, wrong time

T_Fal.png

Creating bolts with an alch value of several K's a piece is not bringing new cash into the game? Check your facts Sonic.

Edit: I just checked MY facts and realised I was wrong about that alch value. My bad Sonic. I still think that bug was a major one though.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

Banned. On the run.

Sorry, I'm just in a retro mood today. :-D

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

So appearantly some people are misinformed here. The bug pertained to ALL bolts. It involved tricking the game into enchanting 1 bolts into the full 10 (or is it 12 per?). While it could be done on any bolt, the majority of people went straight to dragon bolts because they had a high GE value of ~7k and the parts used to make them were easily attainable in the GE. These soon became unsellable and were used in junk trades redistributing wealth fairly significantly. Even though you could alch them, they give 525 gp per alch. Thus with a nature rune leaving the game and a previously nonexistsnt bolt leaving as well. Only 200 GP worth of wealth is entering the game.

The issue lies with the people who chose to dupe onyx bolts. Because these bolts already had a GE values near their alch value. Players who duped them were able to alch the bolts for nearly the same value as the GE price. This kept the onyx bolt dupe low key even though people knew that it was happening with dragon. By alching the onyx bolts, players gained 9k from one nature and a previously nonexistant bolt. This brought massive ammounts of GP into the game. Perhaps not as far as being on par with PvP tricking, but a significant amount nonetheless.

When Jagex ban's you, they will have an evidence log for you to look at. Make sure you know the reason for the ban. It may be due to something else.

I doubt you didn't know you were breaking the rules. But if you believe you're innocent, appeal the ban and state your case.

Also, with the they owe me an apology attitude, you will not get your account back. You need to apologize, or your appeal will not stand a chance. I speak from experience.

When Jagex ban's you, they will have an evidence log for you to look at. Make sure you know the reason for the ban. It may be due to something else.

I doubt you didn't know you were breaking the rules. But if you believe you're innocent, appeal the ban and state your case.

Also, with the they owe me an apology attitude, you will not get your account back. You need to apologize, or your appeal will not stand a chance. I speak from experience.

That Jagex-auto-response-bot don't care about attitude.

I never said that it was Jagex's fault for me acting stupid and looking away while fighting black dragons (in the Evil Chicken Lair) ... but I died and lost 1000+ enchanted emerald bolts .... ranging ammy ... obby cape ... a few other things that I figured up to be about 1.6 mill

alas ... stupid me for looking away ... time to replace my bolts, so I went about and made new ones ...I'm playing the game that way it was supposed to be played ... honest

and the first I ever heard about any bug was whenI went to log in Tuesday and saw that I was banned for bug abuse ... me ??? .... the first thing that went thru my mind was someone stoled my account

abnormally large amount of bolts back in return ... WTF ???

30 gems (roughly), use a chisel and turn them into bolt heads ... 12 tips x 30 gems = 360 tips ... I said roughly, i may have had a few more, maybe a few less, not quite sure on the exact number, but roughly 30 gems)

I ended up with around 400 or so finished bolts

I understand that the "duping" part allowed some one to get 10 bolts for every one that they enchanted ...

that being the case I should of had over 3500 bolts

that's a far cry from the PUNY AMOUNT OF 400 I put into my bank

I feel that I should not have to apologize for something that I DID NOT DO ... on the other hand, they are the ones that OWE ME an apologize

wrong place, wrong time

honestly, if there's truly been a misunderstanding - you need to get your mother, or someone pretending to be your mother, to ring up irately on your behalf and rage at jagex for unjustly upsetting her sensitive son

if you're mistreated by a real company and you ring them up or send angry letters - they are going to look into your case and want to keep your goodwill

my uncle got sent a free case of wine and flowers because his phone company significantly overbilled him and he kicked off majorly

jagex treats its customers like [cabbage], -banking on intimidated kids not knowing quite what to do and the addiction factor keeping them hooked in

'Rock Hard' boss pure - 60/60 Attack | 99/99 Range | 1/1 Defence | 44/44 Prayer | 99/99 Strength | 99/99 Mage - level 79 combat EOC

## '07 Server ## "Best Runescape update ever: Removing 6 years of updates."

Rock_Hard.png

"Warning: If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all that claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think every thing you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told to want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned- Tyler"

It's been said so many times in the past, I didn't know anyone still believed this.

Jagex Mods read every appeal that they get. But due to the sheer volume of appeals, they can't take the time to write up a 200 word desription of why you're banned. So they use premade templates that they copy-paste onto the appeal and change it slightly if needed.

honestly, if there's truly been a misunderstanding - you need to get your mother, or someone pretending to be your mother, to ring up irately on your behalf and rage at jagex for unjustly upsetting her sensitive son

if you're mistreated by a real company and you ring them up or send angry letters - they are going to look into your case and want to keep your goodwill

my uncle got sent a free case of wine and flowers because his phone company significantly overbilled him and he kicked off majorly

jagex treats its customers like [cabbage], -banking on intimidated kids not knowing quite what to do and the addiction factor keeping them hooked in

That's the last thing he needs to do. What people fail to realize is that by acting like a jerk, you aren't helping anything. What needs to be done is to talk it out respectfuly. Sure, jagex's system doesn't really allow dirrect talks like that, but what you can do is take the time to write a well thought out appeal which states your case in a mature way. By 'raging' all you succeed in doing is alienating yourself even more. Sure, companies send you wine and flowers to make you happy, but they are just doing it to get you off their backs. That solves nothing, it just puts a little bandaid over the gash and assumes that it will all be okay.

I have to get to class and might update this later, we'll see the responses I get. Someone will probably just rage :rolleyes:

That's the last thing he needs to do. What people fail to realize is that by acting like a jerk, you aren't helping anything. What needs to be done is to talk it out respectfuly. Sure, jagex's system doesn't really allow dirrect talks like that, but what you can do is take the time to write a well thought out appeal which states your case in a mature way. By 'raging' all you succeed in doing is alienating yourself even more. Sure, companies send you wine and flowers to make you happy, but they are just doing it to get you off their backs. That solves nothing, it just puts a little bandaid over the gash and assumes that it will all be okay.

I have to get to class and might update this later, we'll see the responses I get. Someone will probably just rage :rolleyes:

hey, whatever you think tbh, but as someone who's worked a lot in customer service, telesales and general 'can i lick your boots please, sir?' stuff - the angry rude customers who kick up a fuss are the ones I have to suck up to and give a load of free [cabbage] to to shut them up

be vocal about your rights, speak up or nobody gives a [cabbage]

'Rock Hard' boss pure - 60/60 Attack | 99/99 Range | 1/1 Defence | 44/44 Prayer | 99/99 Strength | 99/99 Mage - level 79 combat EOC

## '07 Server ## "Best Runescape update ever: Removing 6 years of updates."

Rock_Hard.png

"Warning: If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all that claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think every thing you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told to want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned- Tyler"

Wow, it's good to see Jagex posting something like this again. It sucks for those guys who just lost their accounts but that's what they get. If I was a betting man I'd say that a few, if not all, of those guys thought "Well I'll only do it a few times, just to get me a few mil so I can (insert random reason here). Then I won't do it anymore, Jagex won't catch me." "Even if they do I have a lot of play time/a high total level, so they'll be lenient on me, I'll be fine." Although it could be just the opposite and they just wanted a lot of free/quick gp and decided to abuse a bug and just hoped they wouldn't get caught.

That small lapse in judgment just cost them everything. It's good that they got what was coming to them.

user1-dark.png 

Huge_Noob.png

It's been said so many times in the past, I didn't know anyone still believed this.

Jagex Mods read every appeal that they get. But due to the sheer volume of appeals, they can't take the time to write up a 200 word desription of why you're banned. So they use premade templates that they copy-paste onto the appeal and change it slightly if needed.

Lol, wow.

Jagex do use auto respond bots, that's obvious from the sheer number of successful appeals where the appeals are filled with nothing but profanity.

Zerker_jane.png

I have gotten my account back, but still with no REAL explanation as to why I was banned in the first place

unless you count this as reason ...

We have evidence that suggests that you have exploited an in-game bug for your own gain.

what gain ???

I never sold anything, nor alch anything, so what gain did I achieve ???

the first thing I did when I discovered that my account was given back was to go look to see just how many bolts I actually had ... 689 enchanted emerald bolts

(although I thought it much closer to 400 ... )

with a bank roll of more than a few dollars, one would wonder WHY I did not go the route that some of the others did and create million and millions and millions of more monies to add to my measly stash ...

why waste 3 days mining for emeralds in Shilo, when I could of easily bought them in GE ... heck why not just buy premade emerald bolts altogether and just enchant them 1 at a time to make millions and billions (as others have suggested that I did, or at least alluded to)

why didn't I do this ??? because I never knew the bug existed until yesterday, and that was only after about 3 hours of channel surfing to find the answers I was looking for

I asked in the official forums for a simple explanation as to what I did that was so wrong, here is what was said

For the actual offence I'm afraid that system information can't be released as players could find ways around our systems. Any information that can be given will have been included in the offence information and in-box messages

copied straight from my ban page ...

Offence Information

Offence: Bug Abuse Type: Ban

Offence Date: 02-Mar-2010 Offence Expiry: 02-Mar-2011

Service: Jagex

nothing here about 24 hours, or 2 weeks ... just 02-Mar-2011 (NEXT YEAR)

as far as my membership goes ... I only have 20 days left ... yesterday it was 22 ... thanks for the refund

Kalafa you were right, it was a temporary ban, but from my point of view, there was nothing to support that, in fact it looked as if I was going to get banned for a year for something I STILL AM NOT SURE what it was that I was supposed to have done

this from customer support pages ...

We will not reveal the evidence we have gathered, as most cheats only want the evidence so they can avoid getting caught the next time.

I'll buy that, and even respect that ... but then Jagex also makes this comment

We realise that players occasionally commit offences without realising it, perhaps because they are not sufficiently familiar with the Rules of RuneScape. For this reason, we strongly recommend that you take the time to review the evidence given for each offence, so that you do not waste your time appealing an offence of which you are, in fact, guilty.

if you are not being told why you were banned (other than the pre-formed "we have evidence") then how can an innocent person avoid doing something wrong in the future

I would really hate to have to cruise the forums for hours in order to find out if fletching yews today is a bannable offense, or if cooking sharks tomorrow will be illegal

if I made thousands and thousands of bolts and then sold them for a stupid amount of money, okay .... but that is not the case here ... I simply made enough to replace what I had lost/used up a few weeks prior ... 689 bolts is hardly the work of a bug-exploiter (and emerald on top of that, not dragon or onyx)

The Offence Appeal system gives us at Jagex the opportunity to ensure that penalties are not inadvertently given to innocent players.

hahaha .... look at me, then go look thru the forums (be it here, or the 'official' forums or any other fansite or any other gaming site and read the rants of how many times people have been banned for unknown reasons)

to the one who said I should have my mother call, I wish I could ... but seeing as how she passed away 2 years ago from cancer, it's kinda hard to do that

and no, I'm not some dumb 12 year old ... in fact I'm over 21 years old (much older) ... own my own house (3 bedroom, ranch styled on 1.5 acres with the bathroom and kitchen just remodeled) ... 2 cars in the driveway ... hers is a 2009 Camry, while mine is 2001 Black Monte Carlo SS (had to have it when I saw it 4 years ago ... RIP Dale)

I have an Associate Degree in Applied Science and will be starting my Bachelor's Degree in the fall of 2010. I am also a veteran of the US Air Force, Law Enforcement Specialist, Senior Airman (E4)

quick question to all those that are attacking me ... why are you so quick to judge people, when you have no knowledge of me or my background

T_Fal.png

Calm down bro. Jagex [bleep]ed up and then fixed it. Honestly I'm surprised that they even did that. If you have some way of coming into contact with a jagex mod you could probably ask them to give you a better explanation.

I'd have to say they just did a blanket ban on everyone who made over x number of bolts between certain hours so they could prevent them from doing something last minute like buying rares to get them out of the game and then review the bans later.

Sucks that you were unlucky enough to be part of that though.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

those top 10 accounts definately all got temporary bans.

That's jagex for you; go lenient on those with high levels.

Proof?

11-1.jpg[

Guild Wars 2-In game screenshot, the MMORPG you are waiting for. Click for thread.

Lol, wow.

Jagex do use auto respond bots, that's obvious from the sheer number of successful appeals where the appeals are filled with nothing but profanity.

Not sure how you're using this as evidence. It may just mean that one person at Jagex disagrees with how the ban was placed or that they reread through the evidence and found nothing incriminating. Just because you're immature in your appeal doesn't mean that you deserve to be wrongly banned. I mean, Jagex is a company, they kind of want to make in money.
hopesolopatriot.jpg

I have gotten my account back, but still with no REAL explanation as to why I was banned in the first place

-snip-

Well, it's good to see your appeal worked. :)

Still, I think Jagex took the bannings the wrong way. They should have only banned players who used dstone bolts (since they were the ones used to abuse).

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention