02-Mar-2010 - Cheating and Exploits

Aidos Drakon

There are still cheats from 2007/2008 which only a handful of people know how to do and are not detectable by Jagex's systems. I have a friend who knew of a CFT since 8 months ago. It has been patched within the past couple of weeks though. I do not think these bug abusers should be publicly noted. I can't recall a time in the 7 years I have been playing which a user was noted for bug abusing by Jagex. I think that the 2-week ban was too short. At least two months would be a better punishment.

Jagex used the 'name and shame' when they banned the first macros. But ever since, they seem to only mention total levels and play time. With society these days, I only see these people becoming 'idols' for the noobs who think that this sort of thing is somehow funny or cool. I think that just showing the fact that Jagex does not disclude you based on levels on time ingame is enough to deter some potential rule breakers.

And to the people who say they would abuse the bug if they had known about it: you people sicken me. The fact that you would knowingly exploit an accidental fault in Jagex's system for your own gain shows a real flaw in your self dicipline and morals. You know that abusing the bug will affect the game as a whole and yet you put yourself above others, and that is the definition of selfish. But hey, that's just my thoughts. Appearantly I'm part of a dying breed that actually cares about others.....

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And to the people who say they would abuse the bug if they had known about it: you people sicken me. The fact that you would knowingly exploit an accidental fault in Jagex's system for your own gain shows a real flaw in your self dicipline and morals. You know that abusing the bug will affect the game as a whole and yet you put yourself above others, and that is the definition of selfish. But hey, that's just my thoughts. Appearantly I'm part of a dying breed that actually cares about others.....

I wholeheartedly agree with you on this. It sickens me to see people who nonchalantly abuse bugs for monetary and other reasons.

There are still cheats from 2007/2008 which only a handful of people know how to do and are not detectable by Jagex's systems. I have a friend who knew of a CFT since 8 months ago. It has been patched within the past couple of weeks though. I do not think these bug abusers should be publicly noted. I can't recall a time in the 7 years I have been playing which a user was noted for bug abusing by Jagex. I think that the 2-week ban was too short. At least two months would be a better punishment.

Jagex used the 'name and shame' when they banned the first macros. But ever since, they seem to only mention total levels and play time. With society these days, I only see these people becoming 'idols' for the noobs who think that this sort of thing is somehow funny or cool. I think that just showing the fact that Jagex does not disclude you based on levels on time ingame is enough to deter some potential rule breakers.

First off, let me say that this is Runescape, morals and ethics died ages ago in this game. That being said, the ambition for money is what overtakes people, it's like an adrenaline rush, your making billions and trying not to get banned. This kind of glitching breaks the monotony of the game and provides an actual thrill that only could be had from several years ago. I'm not saying I condone it, but your rationale towards these people is a bit harsh.

patr1ckotg1.png

I can't recall a time in the 7 years I have been playing which a user was noted for bug abusing by Jagex.

I remember flashing notices on the screen telling people that "xxxxx has been banned for bug abuse". Notably happened after the phat dupe if I recall correctly. And the knife bug.

asrhasrh.jpg

I can't recall a time in the 7 years I have been playing which a user was noted for bug abusing by Jagex.

I remember flashing notices on the screen telling people that "xxxxx has been banned for bug abuse". Notably happened after the phat dupe if I recall correctly. And the knife bug.

Yea I recall those messages popping up also, at the time I didn't understand what bug abuse pertained to though.

patr1ckotg1.png

I wholeheartedly agree with you on this. It sickens me to see people who nonchalantly abuse bugs for monetary and other reasons.

Gee, morals in a game. :rolleyes:

Maybe in a few years you'll come to your senses.

First off, let me say that this is Runescape, morals and ethics died ages ago in this game. That being said, the ambition for money is what overtakes people, it's like an adrenaline rush, your making billions and trying not to get banned. This kind of glitching breaks the monotony of the game and provides an actual thrill that only could be had from several years ago. I'm not saying I condone it, but your rationale towards these people is a bit harsh.

Yea, sadly I joined the game in it's "glory days" (modern runescape, but still a decent community) and I have seen the community die. People no longer care about others, or just hanging arround and chilling with random strangers talking about nothing in particular. It's all about "how can I make the most money. How can I get the fastest exp. How can I get the drops (crashing)".

I agree that people get adrenaline rushes from doing things like that, and that is what makes me so mad, that people do this for a sense of personal, short term euphoria. It's like people who steal and vandise in real life. The city I live in now for school has a history of 'Chronic Vandals', (most of them being youth 16-21) who do things like this for fun. They know they're hurting others but somehow their mind has twisted just enough that they seem okay with causing others harm for a simple nights worth of pleasure. They know what they're doing is wrong, but they know that the system will be easy on them. A huge issue was in the news paper recently about how far the system should go when dealing with this type of blatant disregard for others property and wellbeing. As of now, all the system does is gives them a slap on the wrist and sends them back to do more. Some times you just have to say "enough is enough" and take things to the extreme in order to show these offenders that what they're doing is not right and you are willing to fight them.

Like it or not, when you are interacting with characters in the game you are interacting with real people. How you treat other people is a large part of morals. If you think that just because you're behind a screen you can lose all sence of right and wrong (albeit some right and wrong changes ingame ie: PvP) then do you really have morals in real life? Or are you just puting on a facade in fear of the consequences?

Whether you are talking to flesh and bones, pixils on a screen, or even an Avatar on Pandora, you are actually interacting with the person, the soul, behind the physical face and you should treat them with as much respect as they deserve.

Gee, not understanding that morals are existant and meant to be applied everywhere other people may suffer from your actions... :rolleyes: <---I actually hate that smiley.

WarBlastoise.png

I agree that people get adrenaline rushes from doing things like that, and that is what makes me so mad, that people do this for a sense of personal, short term euphoria. It's like people who steal and vandise in real life. The city I live in now for school has a history of 'Chronic Vandals', (most of them being youth 16-21) who do things like this for fun. They know they're hurting others but somehow their mind has twisted just enough that they seem okay with causing others harm for a simple nights worth of pleasure. They know what they're doing is wrong, but they know that the system will be easy on them. A huge issue was in the news paper recently about how far the system should go when dealing with this type of blatant disregard for others property and wellbeing. As of now, all the system does is gives them a slap on the wrist and sends them back to do more. Some times you just have to say "enough is enough" and take things to the extreme in order to show these offenders that what they're doing is not right and you are willing to fight them.

For whatever reason you fail to understand that real life ≠ a game. It's as if you're losing touch with reality. I suggest you take a break from RS and spend some time with family and friends, get your priorities straight. I'll say it again, cheating in a game is not morally wrong. It's a game, anything goes. You play it to have fun, nothing else.

Gee creating a ton of bolts isn't exactly selfish when you think about. For a small minority of players yes, it might hurt their economic lively hood (doubtful, I doubt many people make a ton of money from bolts) but the lower prices for a majority of players wins out.

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

^^^At least I'm not the only crazy one

Am i the only person who isn't upset about these people "gaining an unfair advantage," or not being banned long enough?

I'm much more upset that these people require such large amounts of Jagex workers time which could have been put to much better use.

swordwarior.png

For whatever reason you fail to understand that real life ≠ a game. It's as if you're losing touch with reality. I suggest you take a break from RS and spend some time with family and friends, get your priorities straight. I'll say it again, cheating in a game is not morally wrong. It's a game, anything goes. You play it to have fun, nothing else.

The part that you quoted was an example I used was in reference to dicipline. Please refer to the second part of the post as to my Real life vs Runescape view. So long as Runescape is a Massive multiPLAYER online game, it is to be expected that you conduct yourself in a maner that is at least a little bit respectful of others. If you want to exploit a glitch, do it in a single player game where if does not directly effect other people.

Am i the only person who isn't upset about these people "gaining an unfair advantage," or not being banned long enough?

I'm much more upset that these people require such large amounts of Jagex workers time which could have been put to much better use.

And if the person that found this bug had reported it and not told any player. It would have taken one person a few minutes to fix. Yet they went out of their way to abuse it and mess up the game. And now Jagex has to fix the mess the players made. I say they SUE! I'm kidding of course, but either way, they break a rule, they get banned.

Cheating is cheating is cheating.

By your logic, these people who spent years on their account shouldn't give a damn that they're banned, since it's "just a game."

Tact.gif

Seriously, you think it doesn't matter what you do to other people just because you're in front of a screen.

Think again.

I'd much rather have someone insulting me or something like that than someone hacking my account "for the lulz".

The Earth doesn't revolve around you, just so you know. Other people that play to be in a game have the right to be sure that they can remain competitive without other players abusing bugs.

Grow up.

WarBlastoise.png

Cheating is cheating is cheating.

By your logic, these people who spent years on their account shouldn't give a damn that they're banned, since it's "just a game."

To be perfectly frank, they probably don't give a damn. If they did, they wouldn't have done it.

Don't tell me that someone who's spent MORE THAN A YEAR of their time PLAYING A GAME doesn't know the RULES TO THE GAME? Each and every one of these players had to have known that there would be consequences for exploiting this bug (especially because of all the other cases of bug abusers getting banned).

If everyone in game was moral, there wouldn't need be of any rules, or moderators. But that isn't the case, and here we are.

I also think that we, those that don't cheat, have a right to be ticked off at those who do. GF cheaters.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Relax. Jagex will probably release more updates tomorrow.

The updates would come out on the same day now as they would have without the glitch. They're not the same departments. As far as I know, the updates would be in Quality Assurance right now while the people working on the bans is the Investigations into the Community Team. Even though there may have been some talk between them as to how to find the abusers, the programers wouldn't have done too much in this other then fix the bug which was done quite soon after they caught wind of it.

don't know if I'm one of those mentioned or not, but I suspect that I am .... you see, I've been banned for bug abuse ...

while I will admit that in the past week I did make about 400 enchanted emerald bolts, I never sold any of them ... so where did I exploit the system at ?

where was the out cry for my support when I had a slayer task about a month or so ago that called for the destruction of 123 black dragons ... I died and lost about 1k worth of enchanted emerald bolts that i made probably 2-3 years ago ... now that I have replaced them (after spending more than 3 days at the Shilo mines trying to gather roughly 30 or so emeralds)

or it must be that my bank account grew from 10 mill to 40 mill in about 4 days (about 2 weeks ago) .... maybe because I sold hundreds of my potions (thanks to my kingdom for all those years of collecting herbs)

or maybe it was the fact that I emptied out my treasure chests in my house and sold all that stuff ... you know ... my Guthix and Sara Vestments, my gold trimmed wiz robes, my gold trimmed black armour, all 30 pieces of special helmets and shields (black helm (h1) black helmet (h2) black helmet (h3) .... ect ... black, addy and rune all had 5 shields and 5 helmets ... 30 pieces ... almost 1 mill from those alone) I had almost 25 million from all that stuff alone

along with the pots I sold and the 2k worth of cooked sharks and the 5k worth of cannon balls ....

nah ... couldn't be that I was actually playing the game as it was intended ... I must have cheated some how

come on ... 8 year old account ... 40 million dollars ... I'm a real serious bad guy here .... never mind those bots that make million in a single afternoon, those are okay ... gotta get that small guy who actually works for his money

ban me for what ... because my account looked suspicious ???

I remember a few years ago, all the china bots that were around ... it took them forever to get rid of them

the merchant clans that are openly manipulating the economy ... what about them ???

nope ... Jagex has decided to take a loyal, 8 year old, paying account and ban me for what ...

wrong time, wrong place

T_Fal.png

Guest TrixStar

This is not the update I am looking for.

"We feel that we've done such a good job in rounding up those cheaters that we deserve a two week break!"

I love how when a week goes by without an update people assume Jagex in on a break

does anyone know the details on the bug? like what did it produce, could any player do it?

i dont plan to use it, im just extremely interested.

14cseg4.gif

Draw what you see, not what you think-you-see. --Carl Purcell

This is not the update I am looking for.

"We feel that we've done such a good job in rounding up those cheaters that we deserve a two week break!"

I love how when a week goes by without an update people assume Jagex in on a break

I love how at least three people have taken these comments seriously. But JaGEx has passed off even slimmer things as content...

2dgucz6.png

I'm completely clueless to this glitch (I just found out about it reading this thread). To those saying they'd break the glitch had they known about it? Congratulations, do you want a cookie? To those saying morals have no place in runescape, I highly disagree. Yes, it's a game, but I still play my character how I am in real life, which has morals. Even if it is a game, my personal integrity won't allow me to look past those morals. Would I have abused the bug? Nope. Why not? I don't see the need to. I've played for closing in on 4 years on this account now, and I'm sitting at 8m cash (obviously more with items). I went about 2, 2 and a half years without even making one mil and I still have fun. I don't need money in RuneScape to have a good time, I prefer being "poor", it makes me actually have to do things on my own. It makes me actually have to use my head a little bit more than normal (notice I said a little bit, I'm not doing physics formulas over here). I just don't see the point in it. I'm going to log on, do whatever I feel like doing, and log off. Money Making and abusing glitches is the last on my to-do list.

~ Proud Father ~ Proud (Currently Deployed) Army National Guardsmen ~ Proud Lakota ~ Retired Tip.It Crew ~

I'm under the impression that while enchanting bolts you could actually got more than what you started with ...

I got banned for replacing the 1,000 that I lost while fighting black dragons with 400 or so bolts

T_Fal.png