Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tip.it Times March 7 2010

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

Mirror
[ Display Name History ]

Mirror

Use Herring -> Tree

• Members
  • 7,247 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Mirrorforced
Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

Enjoy the articles!
A reflection is just a distorted reality held by glass and your mind.

Posted Image

Great_one
[ Display Name History ]

Great_one

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,704 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:Y_z
that dyk was used before
Posted Image

TirithAear
[ Display Name History ]

TirithAear

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • RSN:Tirith Aear
For the autotyping I completely agree, jagex can not do much about it and at the ge it is becoming a mess with all the merching clan advertising.
Posted Image

Posted Image
How many RuneScape members does it take to change a lightbulb? 2000. One to change it and 1999 to complain about how the old lightbulb was better.

Mh1456
[ Display Name History ]

Mh1456

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 100 posts
  • RSN:Mari0
I dont see the huge fuss about autotypers, just always have your public chat on "hide" and eventually a pmod will mute them anyways.

Obtaurian
[ Display Name History ]

Obtaurian

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,853 posts
  • RSN:Obtaurian
  • Clan:Dungeonsweepers (DGS)

I dont see the huge fuss about autotypers, just always have your public chat on "hide" and eventually a pmod will mute them anyways.

Obviously didn't read the article.

Posted Image

To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

tortilliachp
[ Display Name History ]

tortilliachp

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,693 posts
  • RSN:nacho
auto-typing: mute because of spam, not because they use an auto-typer. auto-typers are immaterial, and are perfectly acceptable if you are not spamming.

Honest1
[ Display Name History ]

Honest1

Fallen Knight of Dover

• Members
  • 1,530 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Honest1
Personally if I where with jagex I'd add a spam filter to chat, and warn players that if they spam a certain amount of lines per minute that it will result in a temporary chat mute. Nothing large, but like even a 30 minute auto mute would help in solving a lot of these issues.
Posted Image
99 Fishing 11/12/2006 790th fisher to 99
Former Tip.it Events team leader

3hitm4g3u
[ Display Name History ]

3hitm4g3u

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
Autotypers aren't really a big deal tbh. They're annoying but other than that I have no problem with them.
Posted Image

br3tt0wnz
[ Display Name History ]

br3tt0wnz

Spider Egg

• Members
  • 60 posts
  • RSN:Brett0wnz
  • RSN2:Brett0wnz PK
Article 1: Yeah, autotypers can get annoying, but I've just learned to live with them. In the recent Q&A, a Jmod did say they were going to try to stop merching clans, which would stop most of the autotyping at the ge then.

Article 2: I did notice the ad too when I logged on right after the update (and downtime). I'm P2P though so It didn't really affect me. I'm sure some people dislike it, though. (Like the author of the article)

--Br3tt0wnz

Please visit my new account found here for stats and other info.

My New Account

stonewall337
[ Display Name History ]

stonewall337

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,681 posts
  • RSN:Stonewall337
  • Clan:<Killing Time> of Dawnbringer
2nd one sounded like typical F2P whinning. "AMG we see Members advertising rant!@!@!"

Who gives a crap if you dislike it? You are playing for free, the least you should expect is a bit of advertisement.

Stonewall337.png

Drops

Zachneap
[ Display Name History ]

Zachneap

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • RSN:Golgari
but don't you need to click something to see the advert?

ilovecuttingyews
[ Display Name History ]

ilovecuttingyews

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,008 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P

auto-typing: mute because of spam, not because they use an auto-typer. auto-typers are immaterial, and are perfectly acceptable if you are not spamming.

It's not that simple. The rules state that you can not report someone for 'game related spam'. So if I say "b sale" 50 times per minute, you are not 'allowed' to report me.
As for them being acceptable, The rule is not having ANY third party software that directly acts on the game. I would say that a program that types for you works on the game. Why would it be acceptable that someone is too lazy to play the game them selves to choose to cheat?

Goblin512
[ Display Name History ]

Goblin512

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 96 posts
  • RSN:Goblin512
Ad in disguise: I don't really see how this affects players at all. Surely it is advertising, but it's not a full video advertisement and as such, I don't care. As long as it doesn't interrupt or affect gameplay, players shouldn't complain. If they are, they're complaining for the sake of complaining.

Auto-typing: I agree. Not much you can do.

Racheya
[ Display Name History ]

Racheya

A noob

• Editorial Panel
  • 7,253 posts
  • RSN:Bernkastel
I agree with the second article, I dislike the advertisement feeling of the login page now. As a member I don't want to see how Members has an 'Epic' sized world or 'Creature Companions'. Also, I think in general it's a poor thing. It's going against the principles that MMG set out last year. He said he didn't want to make things geared towards advertising members but then he slaps on a huge ad on the login page...

Posted Image
I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Armadyllo
[ Display Name History ]

Armadyllo

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 215 posts
1st article: While the autotyping bots are annoying, they're ultimately only as harmful as people allow them to be. A bot that gathers resources for sale or effortlessly grinds a skill is detrimental to legitimate players who've worked for their levels and wealth. An autotyper bot is no more harmful than a human with good typing skills.
If Jagex were to address the problem of price-manipulation clans, I'd prefer them to do it by addressing the price-manipulation directly. Good luck to 'em trying that, though.

2nd article: As the article says, Jagex got rid of the forced video adverts, and they got rid of the in-game adverts for members' content (even though it's claimed that the Gnomecopters were genuinely effective), and they've even removed quite a lot of members' options that f2p used to see and click on. I think, in return for all this, we can jolly well put up with seeing that advert on the way into the game. The website's always had stuff to encourage newbies to subscribe, and it makes little practical difference whether the "advert" is on the website or in the lobby.
The lobby's graphical style is a bit off-putting, but that's a separate whinge.

Big_Stingman
[ Display Name History ]

Big_Stingman

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,713 posts
  • RSN:Big Stingman
To the first article: It seems like Jagex says in every single QnA that they really need to do something about the advertisements. But they never do, they have been talking about it for several months...

The second article: I love the lobby/new login system. The advertisement doesn't bother me much, even when I was F2P (I just got members back last week).

ddaanniiellh
[ Display Name History ]

ddaanniiellh

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,908 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:Lil Dan Def
  • RSN2:Ddaanniiellh
  • Clan:Total F2P Skillers

2nd one sounded like typical F2P whinning. "AMG we see Members advertising rant!@!@!"

Who gives a crap if you dislike it? You are playing for free, the least you should expect is a bit of advertisement.

But doesn't it annoy you, a member, that every single time you log in, you also have to go past this annoying advert.

Personally, I support the lobby, not so much the "advertisement" before that, but hasn't really bothered me that much.

My method of avoiding auto-typers: Skill worlds. I have yet to seen any of the annoying auto-typers advertising the merch (price manipulation) clans on there.
~Dan

overall-1.png: 1437 combat.png: 173
Lowest Combat to 1,000 Total in F2P (23 Combat)
2r8i4.png
Check me out on YouTube!

tortilliachp
[ Display Name History ]

tortilliachp

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,693 posts
  • RSN:nacho

It's not that simple. The rules state that you can not report someone for 'game related spam'. So if I say "b sale" 50 times per minute, you are not 'allowed' to report me.
As for them being acceptable, The rule is not having ANY third party software that directly acts on the game. I would say that a program that types for you works on the game. Why would it be acceptable that someone is too lazy to play the game them selves to choose to cheat?

then i disagree with the rules. It makes no difference to me if you use a "spoken word to text" program to post on the tip.it forums, or chat ingame: it's none of my business and doesn't make a difference to me.

nurserymaid
[ Display Name History ]

nurserymaid

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • RSN:devorguilla
First article: I turn my chat to friends when I'm at the GE - sorted.

Second article: Life is too short for me to get stressed about such minor matters.
Posted Image

Doomster
[ Display Name History ]

Doomster

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,282 posts
The GE, and sometimes lumbrige autotypers are getting to be ridiculous, any decent PMOD with half a brain should be able to tell the difference between a level 3 spambot for a merch clan, and somebodt trying to run their own bank sale.

This abuse needs to be squashed, pronto!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users