12-Mar-2010 - Bonus XP Weekend!

Toad

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This whole event was very exciting for me. For me personally i believe it did serve it's purpose, while i do still have lots of goals, it knocked off a few of the tough ones that i really wanted to get out of the way. Now i do feel like i would be okay and "ready" to put off other goals to train the new skill!

Y_Z.png

I'm really hoping these bonus weekends only happen once a year. Some of the xp gains were just a tad too ridiculous

To be honest I think they should have put an xp cap, formula worked out as a percentage of your total xp, on it instead of a countdown timer.

newsigb.png

99 Attack - Done

I think this should be repeated in a similar way every 4-8 weeks or so.

Bonus XP events not only drive gameplay forward in a positive way, but also stimulate the market.

Frankly, I'm surprised this was not picked up earlier by Jagex; many other MMORPGs I have played have benefited from special XP and/or drop events. The average player enjoys a more positive gameplay experience and the fluctuation in the market allow for good, non-destructive merchanting. I think the only way this whole idea could be botched would be if this happens too often or gives too much XP- atm the amount of time you have to gain a sizable amount of experience seems quite acceptable.

I say good job to Jagex for finally implementing this! :thumbsup:

iximi.png

I think the weekend went off fairly well. The mistake they made with the calculation actually seems like a better amount of time to allow for the high exp though it was kind of disappointing to discover that I wasn't going to get as much bonus exp as I planned. Only issue I see has been mentioned by pretty much everyone with summoning being highly unbalanced (possibly a cap on this next time). I think this kind of bonus weekend is perfectly fine occasionally since all other skills this really just saved a little time and money.

All skills 80+

I think they shouldn't use a multiplier that decreases over time. Why not make it 1.4x for the whole weekend or something. That would prevent getting insane ammounts of summoning/farming/someotherskills exp.

I think this should be repeated in a similar way every 4-8 weeks or so.

Anything more often than twice a year would be overdoing it and defeats it's purpose as being an exclusive community event.

I think they shouldn't use a multiplier that decreases over time. Why not make it 1.4x for the whole weekend or something. That would prevent getting insane ammounts of summoning/farming/someotherskills exp.

They didn't do that because that would make people no life for 72 hours, which they don't want

Lord_Beloved.png

They didn't do that because that would make people no life for 72 hours, which they don't want

That's the reason why we have a 200M cap too <_<

That's the reason why we have a 200M cap too <_<

I think it's a good thing they somewhat take our health into consideration though. Most of us have been no-living more than we should anyway.

Lord_Beloved.png

I wouldn't mind if they had this event more often, but differently.

There should be a cap of 500k double xp (2.0x) earned over the course of a week (7days) rather than a time limit for a weekend. A time limit just puts to much pressure and feels like you have to grind as fast as possible. Just think of it as one big giant 500k SC tool, instead of a time-based-gind-as-fast-as-you-can system.

If you limit the xp, to like 500k bonus xp, it also gives you more incentive to train lower level skills which the update was really intended to do anyways. 500k bonus xp really wouldn't do much when training a skill such as summoning to 99 from level 90, but wonders for skills such as agility or runecrafting which most people find the hardest to train.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not upset about the levels people got. I think its a good thing, I just would like to take the "rush as fast as possible" feeling out of it.

There should be a cap of 500k double xp (2.0x) earned over the course of a week (7days) rather than a time limit for a weekend. A time limit just puts to much pressure and feels like you have to grind as fast as possible. Just think of it as one big giant 500k SC tool, instead of a time-based-gind-as-fast-as-you-can system.

If you limit the xp, to like 500k bonus xp, it also gives you more incentive to train lower level skills which the update was really intended to do anyways. 500k bonus xp really wouldn't do much when training a skill such as summoning to 99 from level 90, but wonders for skills such as agility or runecrafting which most people find the hardest to train.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not upset about the levels people got. I think its a good thing, I just would like to take the "rush as fast as possible" feeling out of it.

I like this idea a lot and not only because I don't play on the weekends. :P I don't like updates which encourage huge grinding like this one. And this will also lead to more people being able to enjoy the extra xp.

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif

I like this idea a lot and not only because I don't play on the weekends. :P I don't like updates which encourage huge grinding like this one. And this will also lead to more people being able to enjoy the extra xp.

Best suggestion I have seen as of yet :)

Lord_Beloved.png

Question: what about the people who purposly want to train a high level? I like the idea of not being put under pressure by the timer but isn't it a bit forcing you train lower levels by putting a cap on the maximum xp?

Question: what about the people who purposly want to train a high level? I like the idea of not being put under pressure by the timer but isn't it a bit forcing you train lower levels by putting a cap on the maximum xp?

Depends on how you look at it really. 500k xp is 500k xp. The choice on how you use it is up to you, as there is no limit on which skill can use it. If you want to quickly use the 500k in 30 mins on summoning or prayer rather than spend it on lower skills the whole week to improve your hate-to-train skills that would be the players choice.

You would have to weigh in what you consider more valuable for your XP, which is going to vary greatly for each player.

And not saying it *has* to be done this way either, I was just a suggestion on what *I* personally would prefer.

If they were to set the limit at 500k exp it would be the same thing as handing out a 500k exp genie lamp. If it is uncapped then the amount of exp you earn is based on how hard you want to play/work. I didn't get to experience the event, but it sounded like 500k was pretty easily obtained.

Depends on how you look at it really. 500k xp is 500k xp. The choice on how you use it is up to you, as there is no limit on which skill can use it. If you want to quickly use the 500k in 30 mins on summoning or prayer rather than spend it on lower skills the whole week to improve your hate-to-train skills that would be the players choice.

You would have to weigh in what you consider more valuable for your XP, which is going to vary greatly for each player.

And not saying it *has* to be done this way either, I was just a suggestion on what *I* personally would prefer.

Yeah I guess you're right, as it takes more time to get 500K in lower skills because you have less stuff to train with.

Well, got 99 Farming. Would've gotten it this week anyway without the weekend, but it gives me more time to think about what I'll do next. That's over 1.2m farm xp in 2 days, about an hour of gameplay. Happy farming everyone. :mrgreen:

I used all my charms before the update so I barely summoned all I did was calc how many battlestaves I needed to buy for 80 craft and of course this crap xp problem ruined it

So would you be mad if you got half off of clothes for the first hour and then 25% off for the 2nd etc. and then when you check out you see you got 30% off due to crappy mathematics and you planned to buy certain things you now did not prepare to spend as much money on

Your signature really is accurate.

mssigqc5.jpgI do English to Japanese and Japanese to English translation for free! Just keep it under 5 sentences, and PM me to use my fluency in Japanese to your advantage!

They should give some special attention to Prayer if they ever do this again.

Bonus weekend shouldn't give less XP than extant methods.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

If anyone's interested

Amount of 99s one hour before the bonus xp weekend

Attack - 90,736

Defence - 67,103

Strength - 127,103

Constitution - 81,808

Ranged - 56,227

Prayer - 15,111

Magic - 50,055

Cooking - 106,425

Woodcutting - 65,077

Fletching - 91,760

Fishing - 27,389

Firemaking - 39,020

Crafting - 9,124

Smithing - 6,865

Mining - 5,885

Herblore - 4,353

Agility - 5,451

Thieving - 12,858

Slayer - 8,230

Farming - 6,731

Runecrafting - 3,383

Hunter - 15,008

Construction - 4,501

Summoning - 5,084

Amount of 99s at the end of the bonus xp weekend

Attack - 91,272

Defence - 67,534

Strength - 127,847

Constitution - 82,307

Ranged - 56,776

Prayer - 15,120

Magic - 50,546

Cooking - 107,124

Woodcutting - 65,743

Fletching - 92,109

Fishing - 27,628

Firemaking - 39,360

Crafting - 9,198

Smithing - 6,886

Mining - 5,952

Herblore - 4,826

Agility - 5,496

Thieving - 12,930

Slayer - 8,293

Farming - 6,808

Runecrafting - 3,414

Hunter - 15,141

Construction - 4,563

Summoning - 6,749

Results

Attack +536

Defence +431

Strength +744

Constitution +499

Ranged +549

Prayer +9

Magic +491

Cooking +699

Woodcutting +666

Fletching +349

Fishing +239

Firemaking +340

Crafting +74

Smithing +21

Mining +67

Herblore +473

Agility +45

Thieving +72

Slayer +63

Farming +77

Runecrafting +31

Hunter +133

Construction +62

Summoning +1665

It's not 100% accurate since there was an hour of normal xp time and it doesn't include people who reached 99 but haven't logged out since getting it, but it should be close enough.

Between 175K to 200K players online during the week-end, expect more special week-ends in the next months. This obviously had an effect on subscription.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563