Mod Mark H reveal RuneFest item 2010

_YB_

I think the best thing would be for them to state their intentions, apologize for the confusion and their lapse of judgment preceding it, and learn from this.

On the announcements.

Also I am kind of disappointed in everybody.

8f14270694.jpg

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no problem with Jagex giving an in game item to those who went, i think it's completely fair

I disagree. How is it fair that by accident of simply being born across the ocean from the eventual Jagex HQ that I have absolutely no opportunity to attend this event? Yes I can purchase the ticket and redeem the item if I seriously wanted to, but why would I put that money into an event and get 5% opportunity 'payback' than I would if I actually lived in England and could attend?

I don't know. Call me bitter..but this doesn't seem fair.

You realize that this is essentially a holiday item for people who attend runefest. A fun item to say "I was there." Completely useless. As for the redeem code, Jagex should make it that after a certain amount of time you can't redeem the code or something.

Oh and just throwing something out here: for those who paid attention, Mod MMG (or someone at Jagex HQ anyways) stated a while back that, while they are fully against RWT, have nothing against selling items that have a purely cosmetic value.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

I think the best thing would be for them to state their intentions, apologize for the confusion and their lapse of judgment preceding it, and learn from this.

As a post on the front page? Impossible. The learning part should be done though. Partly because Jagex rarely does that, and partly because that's inviting even more players who are unaware of this issue, or don't really care but would do so after reading on the RSOF, to riot on the forums. I think the backlash is on a smaller scale this time round than the wintumber tree/security keychain thanks to the fact that it wasn't on the headlines. :rolleyes:

And here we have more posts trying to define rwt/microtransaction and whether the item is significant enough for people who care to care. :rolleyes:

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

Not exactly because you are not purchasing the flag. I doubt anywhere in the legal mumbo jumbo does it say you are buying a flag. You are not guaranteed the flag, yet you are guaranteed the ticket, which makes them totally separate.

You can't buy them separately. You pay $120 and you get a ticket and a flag. There is no way to get the flag other than paying the $120.

They are no more separate than saying you're paying $120 to meet J mods and the rest of the party is free, or you're paying $120 for the food and the drinks are free, or anything else.

I feel for anybody who does buy the ticket for the flag and would consider suggesting counselling for them, as it is such an insignificant thing which does not merit spending such money on for any sane person.

Well, this is an interesting perspective.

I personally don't care about decorative in-game items at all -- I don't even do holiday events. But why is the flag so *inherently* valueless compared to the ticket?

I mean, it's a party. Why do you go to a party? To have fun. If someone thinks having the flag is more fun than having the ticket, does that mean they automatically qualify for the asylum?

If you had to grind for 125 hours in some new skill called "Flagstaffing" to get this thing, would that mean anyone who did it was insane?

How is paying $125 for a worthless staff any more insane than spending hundreds of hours to get a worthless hat? Unless you think time has no value at all?

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

I would like to pretend that ignorance makes the situation better, but at this point if we are to become better people (which I have made numerous statements to the effect that I highly doubt it will happen anyway), trying to hide it won't solve anything.

Also, seeing as these banners will be planted around the game, the more people see the banners, the more people will know, and question, and completely get the wrong idea.

Why wait for people to find out and invent exciting new misconceptions? Just freaking nip this in the bud now and move on.

If people don't know what's going on and something more visible happens later that has at least a vague connection to this, there will only be more of a mess to clean up.

8f14270694.jpg

On the announcements.

Also I am kind of disappointed in everybody.

I can be agreeable to that. Ill even be willing to try not to be pessimistic about the chances of it actually happening, because I would really like to see that happen.

But someone around here has the quote that those who refuse to admit their mistakes are too proud of them. This whole debacle is disappointing from start to finish. Peoples given up apathy toward trying to do anything to change the unfairness of life disappoints me. Every time some accepts the unfairness of life and give up trying to change it in what every way they can, then life gets a little more unfair.

And yes, I do keep allowing myself to be dragged back into it. I can't seem to leave well enough alone. I'll admit to that being my failure (one of many, I can asure).

I heard you have to pay for all food and drink there.

I heard you should walk around that event in a big circle.

2egffxf.png

[hide]

Felix, je moeder.

Je moeder felix

Je vader, felix.

Felix, je oma.

Felix, je ongelofelijk gave pwnaze avatar B)

Felix, je moeder.

[/hide]

I would like to pretend that ignorance makes the situation better, but at this point if we are to become better people (which I have made numerous statements to the effect that I highly doubt it will happen anyway), trying to hide it won't solve anything.

Also, seeing as these banners will be planted around the game, the more people see the banners, the more people will know, and question, and completely get the wrong idea.

Why wait for people to find out and invent exciting new misconceptions? Just freaking nip this in the bud now and move on.

Chances are, a statement from Jagex doesn't help much. I mean, you've seen the picture of Jagex making their statement that it's not RWT/microtransaction from a few post earlier, and that doesn't stop this us from discussing either. :thumbup: I would keep mum on this matter as well, if I were Jagex. It works great, honestly. When's the last time you saw someone posting about wintumber trees being unfair before this Runefest discussion? Not on tip.it general chat, almost rare on RSOF.

And @ArtemisCatal, no one needs to admit their mistake, because everyone's opinion on this matter is bound to be different. We can only agree to disagree.

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

You are not guaranteed the flag, yet you are guaranteed the ticket,

Explain.

Once you have purchased the ticket, you will have legal rights if the ticket is not delivered to you. However, the flag is not covered by such legal activities as it is a bonus on top of the ticket. Therefore legally and technically you are buying the ticket with a flag as a bonus, it is only the community that sees it as buying them both.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Chances are, a statement from Jagex doesn't help much. I mean, you've seen the picture of Jagex making their statement that it's not RWT/microtransaction from a few post earlier, and that doesn't stop this us from discussing either. :thumbup: I would keep mum on this matter as well, if I were Jagex. It works great, honestly. When's the last time you saw someone posting about wintumber trees being unfair before this Runefest discussion? Not on tip.it general chat, almost rare on RSOF.

So, we should all just wrap ourselves in Orwellian-type ignorance and just be happy with things. Sorry, I just don't roll that way.

edit @ ravian: If you don't admit something as a mistake you don't learn from it. You keep making the same stupid choices over and over again. Unanimous support that it was a mistake is not necessary. The person/people making the mistake just have to realize it. Maybe this was what they intended. Maybe it isn't a mistake. I think it's a mistake and express my opinion in hope they will relize it is a mistake.

So, we should all just wrap ourselves in Orwellian-type ignorance and just be happy with things. Sorry, I just don't roll that way.

I'm merely stating the more effective method to prevent the matter from getting out of hand, that Jagex is bound to employ. :rolleyes:

@ArtemisCatal in response to your edit: I'm pretty sure that Jagex knows the root of the problem here; implementation.

Zepheras.png

-F1775

Short term effective perhaps. This probably reflects on Jagex as a whole.

While people may not remember any particular transgression outside of the most famous ones, it is a long history of poor decisions that breeds contempt, and the only way to reverse this trend is to create a new history of trust and understanding.

Unfortunately at the moment I have no idea if anybody in power actually reads any of this or cares. It is freaky when you know that they could be lurking at any particular moment and we have no idea about it.

8f14270694.jpg

Short term effective perhaps. This probably reflects on Jagex as a whole.

While people may not remember any particular transgression outside of the most famous ones, it is a long history of poor decisions that breeds contempt, and the only way to reverse this trend is to create a new history of trust and understanding.

Unfortunately at the moment I have no idea if anybody in power actually reads any of this or cares. It is freaky when you know that they could be lurking at any particular moment and we have no idea about it.

oh, I hope they are lurking, and taking notes. Some really good stuff is being said on this thread (and I'm not just talking about my self-important jibber-jabber).

And yes, implementation is the problem <--- Jagex read this. :thumbup:

Poor players are probably just fine because they live in a life where resources are scarce and they learn repeatedly how to prioritize their needs properly. They don't need a silly little flag in a computer game.

No, they don't. But you know what? Jagex didn't *need* to make it impossible for these people to get that flag either. They didn't *need* to put something so obviously stupidly thought out into the game at all.

You're using a form of argument that basically boils down to "life sucks, so it's okay if people make it suck more". Rather spurious.

This was supposed to be an event to *thank* customers, wasn't it?

The flag isn't $120. The event is.

Since the flag and the event must be purchased together and cannot be obtained in any other way, the flag and the event are collectively $120. Any attempt to separate them is silly game-playing.

If you aren't familiar with the custom of giving gifts as a present to those who attend an event, then there's reason arguing this with you, but anyone with any understanding of social customs should know that rewarding attendees with an additional commemorative bonus is NOT the same as selling the bonus for the entry fee.

Also, legally, Jagex could easily change their mind about the flag. They can not do so about the ticket. A purchase is a legal contract, and in this case, it is your money for a ticket to their event. It is not for the flag. If they were to change their mind about the flag and remove it, it is well within their legal rights. Because they aren't agreeing to sell you a flag, they're only agreeing to sell you a ticket.

Gift versus purchase. There's a huge difference.

Poor players are probably just fine because they live in a life where resources are scarce and they learn repeatedly how to prioritize their needs properly. They don't need a silly little flag in a computer game.

No, they don't. But you know what? Jagex didn't *need* to make it impossible for these people to get that flag either. They didn't *need* to put something so obviously stupidly thought out into the game at all.

You're using a form of argument that basically boils down to "life sucks, so it's okay if people make it suck more". Rather spurious.

This was supposed to be an event to *thank* customers, wasn't it?

Since the flag and the event must be purchased together and cannot be obtained in any other way, the flag and the event are collectively $120. Any attempt to separate them is silly game-playing.

If you aren't familiar with the custom of giving gifts as a present to those who attend an event, then there's reason arguing this with you, but anyone with any understanding of social customs should know that rewarding attendees with an additional commemorative bonus is NOT the same as selling the bonus for the entry fee.

Also, legally, Jagex could easily change their mind about the flag. They can not do so about the ticket. A purchase is a legal contract, and in this case, it is your money for a ticket to their event. It is not for the flag. If they were to change their mind about the flag and remove it, it is well within their legal rights. Because they aren't agreeing to sell you a flag, they're only agreeing to sell you a ticket.

Gift versus purchase. There's a huge difference.

dictionary.com gift:

Property, money or asset that one person transfers to another while receiving nothing in return.

The exchange of money preclude it truly being a gift. A memento of showing up, an token of appriciation, what every you like, but it isn't a gift.

Anyway, the issue so much isn't with that they are giving people stuff, it is what they are giving out (namely the ingame item).

Amazing... A small item with no value other then status can make even rational people go into "this is serious buisness, bro!" mode... Human nature... Human flaws.

Making a mountain out of a mole hill at its finest.

Why do people keep trying to make value judgment on other peoples items! I cross stitch a bunch, and have a whole collection of cross stitching books. I'm sure you wouldn't care a flip about them, but I love them.

And the argument is not about staff, it's about the real world money being used to get in game items. It's about them saying one thing and doing another. It's about breaking the wall between real life and game life. The item itself is of no consequence.

And five dollars and you leisure time may not be serious business to you, but my money and my leisure time are limited, and as such, I try to get the most out of them I can.

And I agree with qeltar, the arguments saying it's not money for in game items are just playing semantic games

You completely missed my point, yet gave it more validity. I'll spell it out for you:

It is an item. A useless status symbol of an item, much like an expensive care that gets less Mpg or Kmpg. People will gawk at you, and you will smile, but at the end of the day, all you have is something that will be replaced with the "next big thing" in a few years. It is worthless and nothing to get worked up over.

As for the "real world money for items" bit: you are a moron. In case you can not tell for whatever reason, I'm being blunt. It is a reward for buying a ticket, which would make Jagex assume that you are going to attend the event. A mistake on their part? Yes. Them offering items for cash? No. They are simply making assumptions that, if someone buys a ticket to an event, they will go to it. (SHOCKER!) The transaction is for the ticket. The item is meant for attendance. Jagex will learn from this and give out any future items via event booths at said event. It is their first convention, so mistakes are bound to happen.

tl;dr

You cannot judge the stance of an issue held by a company by 1 occurrence.

As I said, Mountain out of a Mole hill.

Now, to solve your immanent post, filled with emotion unfounded: It will boil down to, "Your opinion is different then mine, so it's wrong! *unjust moral examples* *personal attack* *more false examples* *up-up-down-down-left-right-left-right-b-a-fireball motion into your Super for finisher*" So, here is my response:

You need to calm down, take a cookie, and eat it. While eating it, you need to examine your priorities and why you are wasting your precious, limited time expressing an emotional opinion about something that will not matter next year because Jagex will hold another event and that event will give out another item. Only time will tell if Jagex learns from this mistake.

Oh, and don't respond to me. If the above failed to capture your attention and show you just how much you are exaggerating the situation, (Making a mountain out of a mole hill) then a further post will also fail to do so, even if I spend more then 5 minutes on it next time. No arguing with the illogical and irrational.

To anyone wondering why I care to make this post: The last 10 pages.

The challenge of a mistake is not to avoid it. The challenge of a mistake is dealing with the outcome.

bc8ebae3b0.png

Proud of who I am and what I am.

dictionary.com gift:

Property, money or asset that one person transfers to another while receiving nothing in return.

The exchange of money preclude it truly being a gift. A memento of showing up, an token of appriciation, what every you like, but it isn't a gift.

Anyway, the issue so much isn't with that they are giving people stuff, it is what they are giving out (namely the ingame item).

The exchange of money is not for the flag. Look at the terms of the purchase. You are exchanging your money for a ticket to their event. They are not legally obligated to give you anything more than that, therefore, you did not exchange money for the item.

Amazing... A small item with no value other then status can make even rational people go into "this is serious buisness, bro!" mode... Human nature... Human flaws.

Why do people keep trying to make value judgment on other peoples items! I cross stitch a bunch, and have a whole collection of cross stitching books. I'm sure you wouldn't care a flip about them, but I love them.

And the argument is not about staff, it's about the real world money being used to get in game items. It's about them saying one thing and doing another. It's about breaking the wall between real life and game life. The item itself is of no consequence.

And five dollars and you leisure time may not be serious business to you, but my money and my leisure time are limited, and as such, I try to get the most out of them I can.

And I agree with qeltar, the arguments saying it's not money for in game items are just playing semantic games

You completely missed my point, yet gave it more validity. I'll spell it out for you:

It is an item. A useless status symbol of an item, much like an expensive care that gets less Mpg or Kmpg. People will gawk at you, and you will smile, but at the end of the day, all you have is something that will be replaced with the "next big thing" in a few years. It is worthless and nothing to get worked up over.

As for the "real world money for items" bit: you are a moron. In case you can not tell for whatever reason, I'm being blunt. It is a reward for buying a ticket, which would make Jagex assume that you are going to attend the event. A mistake on their part? Yes. Them offering items for cash? No. They are simply making assumptions that, if someone buys a ticket to an event, they will go to it. (SHOCKER!) The transaction is for the ticket. The item is meant for attendance. Jagex will learn from this and give out any future items via event booths at said event. It is their first convention, so mistakes are bound to happen.

tl;dr

Now, to solve your immanent post, filled with emotion unfounded: It will boil down to, "Your opinion is different then mine, so it's wrong! *unjust moral examples* *personal attack* *more false examples* *up-up-down-down-left-right-left-right-b-a-fireball motion into your Super for finisher*" So, here is my response:

You need to calm down, take a cookie, and eat it. While eating it, you need to examine your priorities and why you are wasting your precious, limited time expressing an emotional opinion about something that will not matter next year because Jagex will hold another event and that event will give out another item. Only time will tell if Jagex learns from this mistake.

Oh, and don't respond to me. If the above failed to capture your attention and show you just how much you are exaggerating the situation, (Making a mountain out of a mole hill) then a further post will also fail to do so, even if I spend more then 5 minutes on it next time. No arguing with the illogical and irrational.

Well, if I miss the point you miss the point too.

If you don't get that it is about having the benefits of real world money shoved in to ones escape from the problems of real world money, then you are not going to get it. They said they weren't going to do this, now they have. I'm not happy.

Did it ever occur to you that I find this debate fun? You are very ready to tell me how to spend my time, and how to value my life. And if I have made some personal attack somewhere, it was unintentional. Im discussing and dissecting an issue hoping to give some road map to resolving the diverseness it has caused. So please, stop telling me what to do, that I am wasting my life, and get on with yours.

edit: You pay for the ticket, and all the things that go along with the ticket. It's like saying that you pay the ticket price to go into disney world and all the attractions inside to see are free additions. You don't pay to get in the door, you pay to see all the sights, opportunities to ride the rides. The items you get are some of the items bundled with the ticket.

And if Jagex had waited until after RuneFest was over, and then given everyone a card with a redeem code on it, then maybe I'd agree with you.

That's not what they did.

They are trying to have their cake and eat it too, by simultaneously calling it a "free gift" and also trying to use it as a hook to entice people to buy tickets. Sorry, it won't fly. It's patently dishonest.

This is somewhat reminiscent of those giveaways they had at baseball games when I was a kid. (Maybe they still have them, I dunno.) You attend the game and get a "gift" of some sort. Except they announce them in advance, and the ability to get the gift is part of why people go to those games. In fact, some people go ONLY to get the items. Why not?

This redeem code is no more free than the wiffle bat, or commemorative calendar, or whatever.

When you dangle something in front of people to entice them to buy a ticket, it's ridiculous to then turn around and suggest that they aren't paying for the item you are dangling in front of them, but getting it "free".

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

Heh - the junk trading mentality as applied to real-world situations.

This is somewhat reminiscent of those giveaways they had at baseball games when I was a kid. (Maybe they still have them, I dunno.) You attend the game and get a "gift" of some sort. Except they announce them in advance, and the ability to get the gift is part of why people go to those games. In fact, some people go ONLY to get the items. Why not?

This redeem code is no more free than the wiffle bat, or commemorative calendar, or whatever.

MLB still does this - Bobblehead Night, Bat Night, Poster Night, Cap Night, etc. al.

Just try standing outside the gate and asking for your "free" souvenir item without buying a ticket, though. ;)

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

tl;dr

Well, if I miss the point you miss the point too.

If you don't get that it is about having the benefits of real world money shoved in to ones escape from the problems of real world money, then you are not going to get it. They said they weren't going to do this, now they have. I'm not happy.

Did it ever occur to you that I find this debate fun? You are very ready to tell me how to spend my time, and how to value my life. And if I have made some personal attack somewhere, it was unintentional. Im discussing and dissecting an issue hoping to give some road map to resolving the diverseness it has caused. So please, stop telling me what to do, that I am wasting my life, and get on with yours.

Are you really ignorant enough to believe that real world money doesn't affect your status in Runescape? People with real world money often have fewer obligations, and thus more time to play. More play time generally equates to being a better player, in a game that favors grinding over anything else (besides possibly luck). People with real world money can afford better equipment. This can mean anything from being able to enjoy the highest detail settings to being able to purchase high quality gaming mouses to having faster and thus less laggy internet. People with real world money can visit any number of shady websites and purchase Runescape items and gold because of the poor pricing system and the abomination we call the Grand Exchange, and repeatedly go free despite the rules.

People with real world money already have a huge advantage that Jagex has been tolerant of. Comparably, a flag that, once again, is a gift that Jagex is not obligated to provide in exchange for the money you paid for the ticket to Runefest can hardly account for anything.

And if Jagex had waited until after RuneFest was over, and then given everyone a card with a redeem code on it, then maybe I'd agree with you.

That's not what they did.

They are trying to have their cake and eat it too, by simultaneously calling it a "free gift" and also trying to use it as a hook to entice people to buy tickets. Sorry, it won't fly. It's patently dishonest.

This is somewhat reminiscent of those giveaways they had at baseball games when I was a kid. (Maybe they still have them, I dunno.) You attend the game and get a "gift" of some sort. Except they announce them in advance, and the ability to get the gift is part of why people go to those games.

When you dangle something in front of people to entice them to buy a ticket, it's ridiculous to then turn around and suggest that they aren't paying for the item you are dangling in front of them, but getting it "free".

They can turn around and not give the item, or make it so the item disappears after Rune Fest, or change the item however they like. They did not legally agree to give you this item in exchange for money. Therefore it is a gift, and arguing otherwise is simply trying to twist the facts.

Are you really ignorant enough to believe that real world money doesn't affect your status in Runescape?

Are you really going to stand there and argue that because life is unfair, that justifies a company deliberately making it *more* unfair, via something they claimed was intended to "thank their customers"?

Bizarre.

signew2.png