Mod Mark H reveal RuneFest item 2010

_YB_

Nifty little flag. If I could go that would definitely be cool to have; just to show others in-game that I had went.

Otherwise it's essentially useless. I'm far more interested in the RL goodies that I'd be getting if I were able to go than the item in-game.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not being able to get the flag is like missing a holiday event. While some people don't care (and it's obvious on this thread), others like to either have the item themselves or at least have everyone have an equally fair opportunity to obtain it. Jumping on people like qeltar, who simply support fairness in this mess, makes no sense to me. Personally, I am very rarely upset with things Jagex does, and this, as I previously stated, infuriates me.

So buy a ticket. It's nothing like a holiday event, its an appreciative gift that was given to people who are attending RuneFest, I don't see any need for anyone else to have them. So it's in another country, suck it up jeeeeeez

Thread is starting to get filled with personal attacks it seems like.

Do I want that flag? Yes.

Would I buy a ticket just for the flag? Yes.

Does that make me sad? Apparently according to some people around here.

Would I go to runefest? Yes, but its not some walk in the park because I dont live in bloody england.

Am I trying to get my parents to agree to going? Of course.

The view on this whole giving an item for buying a ticket thing isnt a one sided thing either, its actually fairly split.

Anyone who mentions a rant about it though seems to get tackled by someone else.

I have no problem with Jagex giving an in game item to those who went, i think it's completely fair

I disagree. How is it fair that by accident of simply being born across the ocean from the eventual Jagex HQ that I have absolutely no opportunity to attend this event? Yes I can purchase the ticket and redeem the item if I seriously wanted to, but why would I put that money into an event and get 5% opportunity 'payback' than I would if I actually lived in England and could attend?

I don't know. Call me bitter..but this doesn't seem fair.

You are being bitter, and I say this in the nicest way possible but I think it's a disgusting quality you should try to drop. If the event were held in the United States would it be "fair" to anyone in any other part of the world? People in the UK who think like you do would say "No, it's unfair!" but the answer is yes. It's entirely just. The Jagex headquarters are in the UK. Why would you ever think they would hold them somewhere else?

Do you also think it's unfair that people who were born and raised in Hawaii or LA or Manhattan get to be there but you have to buy a plane ticket and hotel fair? Think about how absolutely irrational you're being.

The item in question is like a box of steaks you get when you buy a Bentley. Do people buy a car because they want a free box of steaks? No. They buy a car because they want a car, and the steak is like a little incentive or added bonus. Should people have the money to fork out to buy a ticket to an event they won't go to simply because they want a pixelated banner in game, then let them. How does that negatively effect you? What is it taking away from what you already have?

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

|2,300+ Total|138 Combat|12 Lvl 99 Skills|99 Slayer|blogbutton.png

And another tip.it thread goes off the rails with personal attack after personal attack, with moderators watching and doing nothing. I'm gone.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

The item in question is like a box of steaks you get when you buy a Bentley. Do people buy a car because they want a free box of steaks? No. They buy a car because they want a car, and the steak is like a little incentive or added bonus. Should people have the money to fork out to buy a ticket to an event they won't go to simply because they want a pixelated banner in game, then let them. How does that negatively effect you? What is it taking away from what you already have?

Can you buy a box of steaks without buying a Bentley? Yes. Can you buy steaks from other vendors besides your Bentley dealer? Yes.

Can you get the flag without buying a ticket? It would seem no. Is there any real way then, to separate the buyers who want to attend from the buyers who only want the pixels? No, not really. It's a monopoly situation. If you only want the pixels, you have to buy the ticket, or buy a code from a profiteer.

Thanks for playing.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

I have no problem with Jagex giving an in game item to those who went, i think it's completely fair

I disagree. How is it fair that by accident of simply being born across the ocean from the eventual Jagex HQ that I have absolutely no opportunity to attend this event? Yes I can purchase the ticket and redeem the item if I seriously wanted to, but why would I put that money into an event and get 5% opportunity 'payback' than I would if I actually lived in England and could attend?

You are being bitter, and I say this in the nicest way possible but I think it's a disgusting quality you should try to drop. If the event were held in the United States would it be "fair" to anyone in any other part of the world? People in the UK who think like you do would say "No, it's unfair!" but the answer is yes. It's entirely just. The Jagex headquarters are in the UK. Why would you ever think they would hold them somewhere else?

Do you also think it's unfair that people who were born and raised in Hawaii or LA or Manhattan get to be there but you have to buy a plane ticket and hotel fair? Think about how absolutely irrational you're being.

Amen.

Can you buy a box of steaks without buying a Bentley? Yes.

Can you get the flag without buying a ticket? It would seem no.

Thanks for playing.

You took a trivial point and tried to use it as a counter argument? What did you prove?

Okay, since we're playing games I'll play too and tend to your need for an analogy that suits you.

You go to a Broadway play or the Daytona 500 where they have select merchandise only sold at the theatre or the event, and not online. This can vary from small knick knacks like drink coasters, pencils or mugs to things such as tee-shirts or baseball hats. Many of these items can't be purchased online unless through a third party website where someone who actually purchased the item from the theatre/event is selling it to make a profit. Did you go to the Daytona 500 to buy a limited edition annual coffee mug? No, you went to the Daytona 500 to see the race, and the merchandise for the event is simply an added bonus. Did you go see "Wicked" on Broadway so you could buy a tee-shirt only available at the theatre? No, you went to see "Wicked" on Broadway to see "Wicked" on Broadway.

Seems you editted and added onto your post after I quoted it so I will respond to the second bit.

No, you don't have to buy the ticket. There's is another option a lot of people seem to be forgetting and that is, "Just don't buy it." But not getting the banner which is intended for people to attend the first annual RuneFest is too far beyond the reality of these people.

To be honest, if you have a banner in game and didn't attend the event, I'm going to overlook you. It's meant to be a fun way of commemorating those who attended the fesitivities, not as a common holiday item you can pick up in 10 minutes of doing an Easter quest.

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

Look, people have differing views on how valuable the item is. Some people want it, others don't. All of this arrogant bickering one way or the other is really just a difference in opinion. I hate to see phrases like "get over it" and words like "butthurt" used on these forums. It's just classless.

lalalasig2.png

Can you buy a box of steaks without buying a Bentley? Yes. Can you buy steaks from other vendors besides your Bentley dealer? Yes.

Can you get the flag without buying a ticket? It would seem no. Is there any real way then, to separate the buyers who want to attend from the buyers who only want the pixels? No, not really. It's a monopoly situation. If you only want the pixels, you have to buy the ticket, or buy a code from a profiteer.

Thanks for playing.

well i think you could, from what i could tell (may be wrong haven't being paying too much attention), someone who intends to go could quite easily, not wanting the flag and sell that off to someone else, which would be flat out real world trading.... and judging from the example from world of warcraft posted earlier, it would just reach rediculous levels after the event if they don't do something to prevent it, that is my main issue with this.

if in stead of emaling codes they just got everyone's rsn when they went to runefest and made the item magically appear in their toybox, or at diango or whatever after the event, i would not have a problem, i would not be too happy to have missed out on it, but i would get over it just like i got over not having bunny ears and [Caution: Jagex Rule Violation] and the like.

Thanks for playing.

well i think you could, from what i could tell (may be wrong haven't being paying too much attention), someone who intends to go could quite easily, not wanting the flag and sell that off to someone else, which would be flat out real world trading.... and judging from the example from world of warcraft posted earlier, it would just reach rediculous levels after the event if they don't do something to prevent it, that is my main issue with this.

if in stead of emaling codes they just got everyone's rsn when they went to runefest and made the item magically appear in their toybox, or at diango or whatever after the event, i would not have a problem, i would not be too happy to have missed out on it, but i would get over it just like i got over not having bunny ears and [Caution: Jagex Rule Violation] and the like.

I think this is a smart post with a smart idea that should be suggested directly to Jagex. I also think to some people who complain over the material aspect of this should read and re-read this guy's post and take notes. If you want your point heard, do it constructively with CC rather than "I want my banner and it's so unfair I can't get it because I wasn't born in the UK and don't have the money for a plane ticket."

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

Just wanna inject my 2 cents here

For one. There will probably be more runefests and for those who couldn't attend. Just wait till the next one. And jagex is a fairly small company. They can't have 1 runefest in each country/state in the us. For all we(i) know the next one may be elsewhere in the world.

For 2 The flag/banner is just a token that says ingame "Hey i went to runefest 2010" Next year there will be flags saying "I went to runefest 2011" , ad nauseam.

Which brings up the second point. Why would anyone want the darn thing if they didn't go? its a commemorative item.

Its the same reason i won't wear commemorative tshirts to events i didn't go to.

And the same reason you don't get the commemorative tshirts if you didn't run the race

"Congratulations on running the ironman!"

"Oh i didn't run the ironman, i just bought the shirt on ebay."

Yes people will sell their codes.

Yes people who didn't go to the event will get the thing.

But that in our woodcutting example is the equivalent of botting to 99wc.

And the common strand is that jagex prefers not that either of those things happen.

The difference is that jagex can ban you ingame for botting while they can't ban you irl for real world trading.(You are trading a voucher for an ingame item)

Given they probably can do something about making sure the item makes its way into its rightful owner's hands ... to be honest giving out the code rather than just making it appear in the participants bank or toybox or w/e was silly.

So why is it that they had to give an ingame item away? If they didn't see people getting upset about this i would be amazed. Alot of people are complaining that its unfair where it is, i could care less. I am upset that they decided to give an in game prize away. Its very obvious that people care alot about these types of items in the game, and Jagex responds by puting a stop to them being able to do this.

swordwarior.png

Btw, mods can't read every post on every thread, if you see personal attack, you need to report it. They may be viewing the thread, but that doesn't mean every post is being thoroughly read. :rolleyes:

I honestly don't know what to think about this, the offer is open to everyone, thus, it is sorta fair, but at the same time not to those who would literally have to pay 3000usd to go.... seems almost like they are encouraging one to buy a ticket just for the item, which is just UGH!

nodiehytnew.png
RIP Michaelangelopolous
Thanks to cowboy14 for the pimp sig!

Let me just put the main argument back on track, for those who obviously weren't reading.

It's NOT about the flag. Heck, everyone knows that it's going to be a cosmetic item.

It's about the way Jagex does things. I'll just quote three examples of how they royally screw up an otherwise perfectly normal situation.

Wintumber tree:

Was it to thank players for signing up as members, or to encourage people to sign up as members? It's a matter of perspective. However, they could have just trash the whole idea of member-only holiday item and give it out to everyone, or allow anyone who participated in that year's event to get the tree later on, if they sign up as members.

Security key chain:

At first it was an issue of how they needed enough demand in order to manufacture in bulk and lower the cost price. After a mere suggestion of more bankspace for purchasing, the situation escalated to the levels of "OMG JAGEX IS DOING MICROTRANSACTION!!!", resulting in the scraping of the idea.

Runefest 2010:

A discussion on what the event might have in store for us, what the ticket price would be, whether the price is reasonable turning into whether this banner thingy is a hint at microtransaction. Would it kill Jagex if they didn't give out an in-game item for a real-life event?

It's not a matter of how we should react to these situations. It's a matter of how players would NATURALLY react to the situation. And for a game company that declared their disapproval of microtransaction and RWT, these results in a greater backlash. If you disapprove of microtransaction, don't do anything that makes people doubt your words. If not, take back your words and start selling cosmetic items the proper way.

If you were Jagex, would you insist on giving out an in-game item because you eagarly want to thank the player, after seeing the reaction? Is it NECESSARY?

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

Wow this is really disappointing news from Jagex. Lets make a game and try to build a strong community by hosting an event that gives players with more money and live in the right place a special item. Yes that is the best way to build a strong community this of course won't cause any resentment or hostility in the community.

This item just promotes RWT even if it is account bond because I'm sure there will be people willing to buy the account just for the item regardless of how useless it is. That's just how people are there is always someone that just wants everything regardless of if it is meaningful to them.

To anyone that supports this how would you feel if Jagex started to charge to pick up other holiday items? Because honestly this is just a step away from that. I can see it now buy a 20 dollar useless icicle exclusively for Christmas 2010. Last to anyone that feels they are inclined to the item because you bought the ticket you are just as selfish as everyone that is upset by this item requiring that you pay extra for it.

All skills 80+

And another tip.it thread goes off the rails with personal attack after personal attack, with moderators watching and doing nothing. I'm gone.

I completely agree. This is just ridiculous. The side in support of Jagex on this issue is completely missing the point, it would seem, and this thread really has gone to [cabbage] with people just attacking each other.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

This is real life money equaling an in game item and I am extremely disillusioned with all of this.

And to the people calling us selfish and childish: You need to get a grip.

This world of ours is unfair, horribly, wretchedly, so much of the time. But we all start out Runescape exactly the same. Sure, real life issues affect how much leisure time a person has, but still, our Runescape character is our chance to escape the things going on the big bad unfair world out there and have a little fun in a world where we have far more control over what goes on than we do in real life, and where real life economics doesn’t affect our standing in game.

This is a stab in the gut to some of us who thought that Runescape would be the one place we could truly escape our real life situations, a place where our real life situations would never bleed over. If we didn’t move up the ranks as fast as others, at least we weren’t’ missing out on things that could never be gotten again. Instead, now we get to see people walking around with something that they got because of real life money.

And holiday items are not in the least the same. Not playing RS at the time is totally different than lacking the money. And just remember, that each time someone says that life isn’t fair, and stops trying to work toward a more fair life, the world does get a little more unfair.

And one more thing, membership is different. At anytime in the future a person can get membership, and get the exact same items any member account has to day (except for the wintubertree *shakes fist*). If I win the lottery the day after runefest, I still won’t be able to get a Runefest banner. Not because I didn’t play the game at the time, but because I didn’t have the money at the time. One who can’t afford membership now, can always hope they can afford it latter. If I was f2p when godswords were released, I can still buy membership today and get a godsword. It's not a time sensitive.

edit: sorry if this does not make my usual sense, I'm actually quite upset.

edit2: in fairness I should mention that unless I win the lottery (and I don't gamble) I couldn't afford the $100+ for this item, let along the several thousand it would probably cost to actually attend. Though not for lack of wanting to. If anyone has a winning lottery ticket they aren't using...

I have every holiday item starting at the Yo-yo. This will create a little hole in my holiday item box... One which I didn't get a fair chance to fill...

You think that's bad, I've got *every* item in that damn box up until this stupid banner. Maybe I should just give in, wire money over and continue my trend of having a full holiday set.

Wretches. They know 9 year players like me can't do without this kind of thing.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

I have every holiday item starting at the Yo-yo. This will create a little hole in my holiday item box... One which I didn't get a fair chance to fill...

You think that's bad, I've got *every* item in that damn box up until this stupid banner. Maybe I should just give in, wire money over and continue my trend of having a full holiday set.

Wretches. They know 9 year players like me can't do without this kind of thing.

Oh, wait, you can buy a ticket even if you can't use it? Okay. I guess I do have a fair chance... Or at least I would if it wasn't over $80...

Oh just BTW I probably wouldn't care about anything else in the holiday box if I had the Scythe and Bunny Ears. ... Maybe Easter Ring... Still. Count yourself lucky that you can remember what you were doing 6 years ago!!

2dgucz6.png

I can definitely see your point, but is there really a need for everyone to always have the same chance as others to get an item?

What about us Aussies? Thanksgiving is celebrated in America right? then you've got the French event going at the moment, Runefest in England so only brits or rich people from other countries can attend but Aussies get no event? Sorry to sound crude but we've had no decent slice to Runescape at all, even the servers dedicated to Australians lag terribly for all Australians.

[/takes knife out of back]

As for the banner item itself: Jagex just lost my support, making it a real life item purchase.

....Hey, they just broke their own rule: RWT.

EDIT:The Banner's ugly anyway.

Popoto.~<3

I don't care.

That's my stance on this while thing. I've read most of the responses in this thread, and far too many of you are blowing this way out of proportion. While I don't actually like the concept, I don't find it atrocious. As an example, I don't have a Scythe or a pair of Bunny Ears. Does that stop me from playing? No, because it doesn't help me, doesn't do anything useful.

I'm sorry, but if you "need" this banner, then you're playing RuneScape for the wrong reasons.

pendulumsig.png

138 Combat as of Summer 2010 - Retired Summer 2010