Mod Mark H reveal RuneFest item 2010

_YB_

No one cares that it's just a flag; what matters is that it's an exclusive item. And, uh, yeah, RWT is definitely a possibility. Considering Jagex's track record, I thought they would do anything to stop it.

I understand what Jagex is trying to do here, but why the hell would they do it? The public outcry that will come out of this will be a hundred times worse than any benefit it could add. A better solution would have been to allow the banners to be available to all players in a Runescape-wide celebration of Runefest. amiright?

f203f1850c.png

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one cares that it's just a flag; what matters is that it's an exclusive item. And, uh, yeah, RWT is definitely a possibility. Considering Jagex's track record, I thought they would do anything to stop it.

I understand what Jagex is trying to do here, but why the hell would they do it? The public outcry that will come out of this will be a hundred times worse than any benefit it could add. A better solution would have been to allow the banners to be available to all players in a Runescape-wide celebration of Runefest. amiright?

Or having the banners disappear after x many days.

But what would be the point of putting in a promotional in-game banner that wouldn't be seen until after the event has transpired?

So the item can't really be considered promotional at all - it's an atta-boy to people who will pony up £75 for a ticket.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

Oh my god Tip.It. This is disappointing.

If you actually understood what people are objecting to, you might be less disappointed.

It's not about a few pixels, it is about the stupidity of doing something so pointlessly divisive and contrary to the company's own stated principles.

And its NOT a microtransaction. Its a gift. You pay for the event. Then you get a gift.

Riiiight.

And if you hire a lady of the evening, you are paying for her to have a nice dinner with you, not what she gives you afterwards. That's a "gift".

(Edit for the predictable moron responses: I am not saying this is akin to prostitution. I am saying that if party A is paying party B for something, then what party B gives back to party A cannot be considered a "gift").

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

On the bright side, now we know that the game has the capability to give out items based on text input. I'm sure this would be useful for microtransaction game updates. :thumbsup:

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

Oh my god Tip.It. This is disappointing. Half of you are acting like small kids, crying because they didn't get the lollipop that the next door neighbour got.

Its a GODDAMN FLAG! Sure, its a pretty cool item, but its not like something was stolen from you.

Heck, I have a whole lot of water to cross to get over there, and I'm not going to do it. But I'm not gonna whine that somebody else gets the fun.

EDIT: And its NOT a microtransaction. Its a gift. You pay for the event. Then you get a gift. An entirely useless gift to remember the event by. Geddit?

But what will end up happening is many people will just buy the tickets so they can get the item.

Thats up to them, isnt it? They're abusing the system. Its still not microtransactions.

I'm pretty sure youll actually have to attend the event to get the redeem code. I could be wrong though.

/edit:

To anyone who bought a ticket;

Did someone already got a code from runefest emailed?

does that mean codes *will* be emailed or *might* be?

Lord_Beloved.png

I agree with Qeltar, Ravian, Dragonlordjl, etc. It bothers me enough that I can never complete my account due to missing past holiday events (despite my account being nine years old), but to give out an item for something that I cannot feasibly do? To practically advocate RWT with said item? There's something seriously wrong. It's completely contradictory to everything Jagex has said and done over the years.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

yup, so Jagex is following other MMORPG's footsteps and having the redeem code for that item for the people who spend a thousand dollars flying over to UK.

Classy Jagex.

Seems like it. :???:

Ugh, I thought Runescape was supposed to NOT be like other MMO's...

Farewell uniqueness, you lasted 10 years, no longer.

Screenshot2011-08-18at14818PM-1.png

yup, so Jagex is following other MMORPG's footsteps and having the redeem code for that item for the people who spend a thousand dollars flying over to UK.

Classy Jagex.

Yes, because the other hundred times Runescape has apparently become like every other MMO it hasn't counted a month after when everybody has had time to think and forget. People around here really do make mountains out of mole hills.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Classy Jagex.

Yes, because the other hundred times Runescape has apparently become like every other MMO it hasn't counted a month after when everybody has had time to think and forget. People around here really do make mountains out of mole hills.

Big time Dan, people seriously make things out to be worse than they actually are; there's nothing wrong!

RuneScape has said to have "died" now a countless number of times due to some update Jagex make, yet, we're all still here. What gives? What reason is there to rant about every single update? This isn't even an update! Jeez, I think people have begun to argue for the sake of argue just "for lulz", I think people have taken things way too far.

Quite a few people will be dishing out money to attend this "Festival", now is it such a bad thing that they were there? Shall I and thousands of others rant because we can't get Bunny Ear's anymore? Or the Scythe? They are, after all untradable items which so many will never be able to get, but they symbolise something for all those who were around back in '04 and years prior, they show that they have been playing since then. Now, these Flags are going to show that these players attended RuneFest 2010. What's the difference? There is little.

For those who are saying it's RWT - Jagex own RuneScape, they are a company, and quite simply; they can do what they want. :thumbup:

RIP Michaelangelopolous

Honestly, anybody who does get this item probably will use it to show off for the first hour or two. Then stash it in their POH to gather dust...just like every other holiday item. I don't see what the whining is about.

Guitar_by_Lemeja123.jpg

If it was a simple thank you they wouldn't have told anyone about it and would have surprised people there on the day with their own individual code. This is a MASSIVE marketing gimmick for them to sell more tickets. People are always lured by the attraction of exclusive items, and they don't even have to turn up to the event to get one!

asrhasrh.jpg

Classy Jagex.

Big time Dan, people seriously make things out to be worse than they actually are; there's nothing wrong!

RuneScape has said to have "died" now a countless number of times due to some update Jagex make, yet, we're all still here. What gives? What reason is there to rant about every single update? This isn't even an update! Jeez, I think people have begun to argue for the sake of argue just "for lulz", I think people have taken things way too far.

Quite a few people will be dishing out money to attend this "Festival", now is it such a bad thing that they were there? Shall I and thousands of others rant because we can't get Bunny Ear's anymore? Or the Scythe? They are, after all untradable items which so many will never be able to get, but they symbolise something for all those who were around back in '04 and years prior, they show that they have been playing since then. Now, these Flags are going to show that these players attended RuneFest 2010. What's the difference? There is little.

For those who are saying it's RWT - Jagex own RuneScape, they are a company, and quite simply; they can do what they want. :thumbup:

The only real reason I'm upset is the reason I'm missing out is I neither have the time nor the money to go.

I move into college the day of Runefest.

Had this been last year, I would have gone to London for "vacation" using the money I made from working @ camp during the summer. But now thats all into paying for college.

Screenshot2011-08-18at14818PM-1.png

People need to chillax. This is just a "thank you" for attending RuneFest. It is not a utilitarian item. It is just for looks.

I agree, I don't see at all what people are getting so angry about.

Who cares if other MMO's do this, it's a good idea. And it's only a banner, nothing to cry about. It's not like they're dishing out XP lamps or anything.

2czeqeh.jpg

Classy Jagex.

The only real reason I'm upset is the reason I'm missing out is I neither have the time nor the money to go.

I move into college the day of Runefest.

Had this been last year, I would have gone to London for "vacation" using the money I made from working @ camp during the summer. But now thats all into paying for college.

I'm not upset that I wasn't playing in '04, or missed Christmas Crackers and Halloween masks, I can't physically go back in time to obtain them.

We should be seeing: "Okay, I can't go. No big deal." instead, I'm seeing; "Because I can't go this is a catastrophe! What gives them the right to give away free stuff to people who attend RuneFest, if I don't get it, no-one should!".

Who took the rattler?

RIP Michaelangelopolous

You cant compare this to being able to go back in time.

If you want to compare it to bunny ears or scythes, it would be like seing someone get a scythe because they paid 75 pounds for one. Since you didnt, all you could do was watch the people who did.

You cant compare this to being able to go back in time.

If you want to compare it to bunny ears or scythes, it would be like seing someone get a scythe because they paid 75 pounds for one. Since you didnt, all you could do was watch the people who did.

All I can do is watch the people who have those ears, or that Scythe, or those who made billions from those partyhats. Right now we can get this Flag, in 1 year, we won't be able to. In 2004 we could get those ears, 2 weeks later (I think?), no-one could. Are people complaining about that? No, they got over it. Everyone will get over this, it will be forgotten about soon enough, people just like to make hay while the sun shines, in this context they like to complain while the content is fresh.

:thumbdown:

RIP Michaelangelopolous

If it was a simple thank you they wouldn't have told anyone about it and would have surprised people there on the day with their own individual code. This is a MASSIVE marketing gimmick for them to sell more tickets. People are always lured by the attraction of exclusive items, and they don't even have to turn up to the event to get one!

Its almost expected to gain an in game item form visiting a convention from its creators. People were already speculating players will gain an item before Jagex even stated they would reward attendees with an item.

Not everyone is not out to make a cheap buck. Jagex is trying to at least break even. I would like to see you put 10 grand ( I know its probably more for Jagex) of your money into a convention and lose most off it without PMSing.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

Perhaps the code will only be redeemable from a special computer at Runefest (to prevent people from selling it) and thereafter expires upon use. This way only those who actually attend and bring the code to the event will have the banner (and thus no RWT).

Anyway with regard to the fairness issue, it really doesn't matter. Life is not fair. Nobody is entitled to absolute fairness and Jagex is certainly not required to make everything fair for YOU.

If anything this item/event reveals the maturity of Runescape's players which sadly (sigh) . . . is quite immature. :|

Edit: Apparently you can already get the banner? ( ^ At Lady_Shahdie)

It's money for pixels, no matter how hard & how often you try to slap a coat of shiny happy paint on it.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

It's money for pixels, no matter how hard & how often you try to slap a coat of shiny happy paint on it.

If you wish to be picky, then paying for membership is money for pixels.

RIP Michaelangelopolous