Mod Mark H reveal RuneFest item 2010

_YB_

I personally take the "no big deal" approach. Problem is, a lot of people won't. Although many other companies do this, Runescape players, especially members because they pay, expect the world of Jagex.

Some are just whining that they can't have an very exclusive item; others have legitimate concerns, like RWT or the fact that this is essentially a holiday item that you actually have to pay for.

f203f1850c.png

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's money for pixels, no matter how hard & how often you try to slap a coat of shiny happy paint on it.

If you wish to be picky, then paying for membership is money for pixels.

Because paying $5 through the internet is comparable to $75 + travel costs, and adding that going to Cambridge is only feasable for both adults and those living in the UK(or northwest Europe (like 5% of rs players?).

It's money for pixels, no matter how hard & how often you try to slap a coat of shiny happy paint on it.

Because paying $5 through the internet is comparable to $75 + travel costs, and adding that going to Cambridge is only feasable for both adults and those living in the UK(or northwest Europe (like 5% of rs players?).

I agree, it would be more fair if they hosted separate events in like Berlin/Frankfort, Sydney, LA, and New York/DC at the same time.

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

So this "crime" is justified as long as you can afford it, right?

It's just a [cabbage]ty flag, what's the big deal? It has absolutely no use. Be upset that you can't go to Runefest, not upset that you can't run around with a crappy flag that's basically just an advertisement for the event.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

I'm giving a perfectly valid example - It was said that getting this banner was money for pixels, it's the exact same thing. If you really want it, you can get it. People are blowing this out of proportion, you and I know that. This isn't a big deal.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

Oh, this brings back so many memories of the USB security key fiasco. Jagex wants to give a little bonus to people who chose to spend money on this real life party (or in the case of the USB incident, extra security), and people blow it out of proportion.

Yes, Jagex is giving an in-game item to people who spend real money, but it's not like they're actually selling the item. The item is just a little gift from them and players are the idiots who chose to abuse it.

As well as paying for power to run a computer (which you bought) with internet access (which you bought and/or stole from neighbors wifi) to play the game.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

Edit: Apparently you can already get the banner? ( ^ At Lady_Shahdie)

Yeah "A White Phat" has left the banner at the w84 Living Rock Caverns for over an hour.

Seems the redemption codes are already being sent out.

runefestbannern.png

runefestbanner2.png

99miningnewsig.gif

~Retired 13-July-2010~

Thanks for the great memories folks :).

Runescape players, especially members because they pay, expect the world of Jagex.

Some people expect the world of them.

Others just expect decent behavior, fairness and consistency.

And then there are the suckups who will defende anything Jagex does, no matter how ridiculous, incompetent or idiotic. (Seem to be lots in that category.)

I just have one question, though.

How is my paying $125 to get a festival flagpole any different from a philosophical or game fairness standpoint than my paying $125 to get a Hallowe'en mask?

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

It is being blown out of proportion. I mean, I'm biased in that I don't really play RuneScape anymore, but, Jagex has stated that they will be looking into holding an event(s) like this in other countries. So, while the english (and some others) get this banner (which, let's face it, is a small item that doesn't affect gameplay, yet is having a larger effect than spirit shields had when they came out) this year, Americans may get a different banner in a different year, which few (if any) english citizens will get. So, while it isn't balanced now, It balances out in the end.

Ye, I looked into plane tickets for laughs.

The CHEAPEST tickets I could get was $750 which had 4 airports I needed to switch planes... NOT WORTH SOME STUPID ITEM.

:rolleyes:

The CHEAPEST tickets I could get was $750 which had 4 airports I needed to switch planes... NOT WORTH SOME STUPID ITEM.

Not trying to be rude, but you should be going to chill with people from everywhere and to have a good item; not a silly item. You'll end up disappointed.

Coming from a British person (who isn't going to runefest) I honestly don't care about this situation. Maybe this is a little off-topic, but you Americans get everything first anyway, just look at the Ipad, the latest films, the latest games etc, the list goes on. Obviously games and films aren't related to runescape, but do you really expect a UK based company to go over to the US and hold the event? So people are going, get a free untradable item. Seriously what is the big deal? It's a flipping banner, why is it so important?

Goldenjkered.png

Whips: 3 Dragon Boots: 15

My 99's: Attack & Cooking

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Goldenjkered

Runescape players, especially members because they pay, expect the world of Jagex.

Some people expect the world of them.

Others just expect decent behavior, fairness and consistency.

And then there are the suckups who will defende anything Jagex does, no matter how ridiculous, incompetent or idiotic. (Seem to be lots in that category.)

I just have one question, though.

How is my paying $125 to get a festival flagpole any different from a philosophical or game fairness standpoint than my paying $125 to get a Hallowe'en mask?

Because a Halloween mask is tradeable, and isn't a new item. There's a difference between giving an item that actually conveys in-game benefits and detracts from other items already given, and items that are purely commemorative and cosmetic.

Commemorative, cosmetic items that are exclusive to those who met real life conditions are nothing new. Get over it.

Commemorative, cosmetic items that are exclusive to those who met real life conditions are nothing new. Get over it.

I'm sorry, but a commemorative, cosmetic item for someone who has £75 burning a hole in his pocket is not in the spirit of this game. Some of us will object and point it out.

Get over it.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

If you're just after the item, buy a ticket but don't go.

Madouge.png

Click the pic if you wanna see a Ranged Slayer blog.

The thing that bothers me about this is how hypocritical it is. Jagex went through all that crap and nearly destroyed the game (it's still not nearly the same as it was before 12/10/07) to eradicate RWT when they could have just stooped to the level of other games and sold gold legitimately themselves. They had to take the high road... And now, they are essentially selling a bragging-rights item for $120? The largest portion of their clientele are Americans, and as such, the vast majority of flagsticks will probably be owned by people who just paid for the code and won't/can't attend the event, so that argument that "it's just a little bonus for people who attended the event' is [cabbage]. Don't be so naive.

td2sig.jpg

Because a Halloween mask is tradeable, and isn't a new item. There's a difference between giving an item that actually conveys in-game benefits and detracts from other items already given, and items that are purely commemorative and cosmetic.

Halloween masks are purely commemorative and cosmetic. You haven't explained how the tradeability aspect makes any difference; I sure don't see it.

Corporations making promises -- such as "we won't make in-game items you have to buy" -- and then reneging on them are nothing new either.

Fanboys of that corporation falling over themselves to come up with rationalizations for how the company violating its own principles is just hunky dory, and anyone who takes issue with it must just be a big jealous poopyhead? Nothing new there either.

But again, the real point is that Jagex has miraculously turned this event from something positive into something negative due to a fine combination of greed and cluelessness. I'm starting to think that whoever is in charge of gameplay balance testing over there must do double time as the head of PR -- surely it would be impossible to find *two* people this out of touch with the customer base?

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

Halloween masks are purely commemorative and cosmetic. You haven't explained how the tradeability aspect makes any difference; I sure don't see it.

Corporations making promises -- such as "we won't make in-game items you have to buy" -- and then reneging on them are nothing new either.

Fanboys of that corporation falling over themselves to come up with rationalizations for how the company violating its own principles is just hunky dory, and anyone who takes issue with it must just be a big jealous poopyhead? Nothing new there either.

But again, the real point is that Jagex has miraculously turned this event from something positive into something negative due to a fine combination of greed and cluelessness. I'm starting to think that whoever is in charge of gameplay balance testing over there must do double time as the head of PR -- surely it would be impossible to find *two* people this out of touch with the customer base?

Halloween masks can be traded for in-game currency. The festival flags can not. Halloween masks therefore can be used for a major in-game advantage, while the flags can not.

Where is the actual quote that states Jagex won't make in-game items for people to buy? As I recall, they specifically expressed interest in micropayments for cosmetic items, not long after the release of War of Legends. Also, they aren't selling items. They are selling tickets for a festival. They're GIVING items to people who are going to attend the festival. There's a difference, even if you don't see it. Like someone said before, it's like goody-bags at a birthday party. You aren't attending the party for the goody bag, you're attending it for the party, and they're giving you a goody-bag just because it adds to the festive cheer.

Just to all of those who are saying "OMG I CANT GO BECAUSE I CANT AFFORD THE TRAVEL EXPENSES", I'm pretty sure you get the code for the item when you purchase the ticket, you dont have to show up. so really it only costs the price of the ticket which I assume isn't very much. At least thats what the description in the KB implies.

Soldin_911.png