Mod Mark H reveal RuneFest item 2010

_YB_

Halloween masks can be traded for in-game currency. The festival flags can not. Halloween masks therefore can be used for a major in-game advantage, while the flags can not.

Okay, that's a valid distinction. But it doesn't change the principle here, which is still people using money to get items that cannot be obtained in any other way. I could pretty easily come up with other examples of RWT that don't involve tradeable items but that are still prohibited.

Where is the actual quote that states Jagex won't make in-game items for people to buy?

I don't have that quote handy. But they have pretty consistently said they didn't want to get into have and have-nots based on real world financial situations, and that's what they have done here.

It doesn't matter that the item has no use. There are tons of things that people spend a lot of time and money on, both in-game and out, that have no use.

Also, they aren't selling items. They are selling tickets for a festival. They're GIVING items to people who are going to attend the festival. There's a difference, even if you don't see it.

There is no difference, even if you want to pretend to see one.

You pay 75 pounds, you get the whole package. No money, no package. Them deciding that the money is only for part of the package and not the rest is just yet more of the "Emperor has fine new clothes" technique that Jagex seems to now use regularly. It's nonsense.

And I can guarantee you that there are people who will buy tickets only for the in-game item and then never go. So much for "not paying for the goody bags".

All of this is besides the point, though. This should have been an event to raise goodwill and thank the community for making RS so successful. Jagex has turned it into a morass because of their unwillingness to make it economically feasible for most players, because of their dishonest attempt to make it seem like only adults play RS, and then this in-game item nonsense, which was totally unnecessary and the response to which could have easily been predicted by anyone with a clue.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of this is besides the point, though. This should have been an event to raise goodwill and thank the community for making RS so successful. Jagex has turned it into a morass because of their unwillingness to make it economically feasible for most players, because of their dishonest attempt to make it seem like only adults play RS, and then this in-game item nonsense, which was totally unnecessary and the response to which could have easily been predicted by anyone with a clue.

I disagree, it is the community and people such as yourself which seem to have almost a vendetta against them who have turned this into a negative light. I can almost guarantee that without 3-4 people, nobody would care less. The majority opinion does seem to be that it is just a silly little flag, it's nothing to care about, and you are making a massive fuss over absolutely nothing.

To sum up the arguments here. It is a flag. It does absolutely nothing.

I will agree that some people are sad enough to pay the ticket price and not go just for the flag. But that is their loss. They will miss out of a fun day out. They are stupid enough to do so. Not buying it will not negatively effect any other accounts in any way. The only harm is the idiot players who buy tickets for the flag and don't attend, and i can also guarentee that they will be the minority.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Halloween masks can be traded for in-game currency. The festival flags can not. Halloween masks therefore can be used for a major in-game advantage, while the flags can not.

Okay, that's a valid distinction. But it doesn't change the principle here, which is still people using money to get items that cannot be obtained in any other way. I could pretty easily come up with other examples of RWT that don't involve tradeable items but that are still prohibited.

Where is the actual quote that states Jagex won't make in-game items for people to buy?

I don't have that quote handy. But they have pretty consistently said they didn't want to get into have and have-nots based on real world financial situations, and that's what they have done here.

It doesn't matter that the item has no use. There are tons of things that people spend a lot of time and money on, both in-game and out, that have no use.

Also, they aren't selling items. They are selling tickets for a festival. They're GIVING items to people who are going to attend the festival. There's a difference, even if you don't see it.

There is no difference, even if you want to pretend to see one.

You pay 75 pounds, you get the whole package. No money, no package. Them deciding that the money is only for part of the package and not the rest is just yet more of the "Emperor has fine new clothes" technique that Jagex seems to now use regularly. It's nonsense.

And I can guarantee you that there are people who will buy tickets only for the in-game item and then never go. So much for "not paying for the goody bags".

Do people still believe that real world advantages have no place in Runescape? I thought that facade had been peeled away ages ago.

Like I said, go look at Jagex's quotes in the wake of War of Legends. One of the executives explicitly states that he is interested in micro payments for cosmetic items. I don't recall any quotes ever promising that no micro payment system won't exist, and seeing as a Jagex executive specifically showed interest in it, this seems quite contrary to what you're saying.

Yes, some people might pay for the tickets for the in-game item. But it's hardly Jagex's issue if some players are petty. Whether you like it or not, Jagex is trying to give a little freebie to those who are attending their festival. That's it.

Also, it's not economically feasible for THEM to make it accessible for all players. Contrary to what appears to be popular belief here, prices aren't made up at random. You're not stupid, you should have an understanding of costs and elasticity. Jagex didn't pull a number out of a hat that happened to be too large. The price was either set to be the most profit generating, or it was set to cover the costs and make it as accessible as possible without breaking their own bank. In either case, you can hardly blame them.

And then there are the suckups who will defende anything Jagex does, no matter how ridiculous, incompetent or idiotic. (Seem to be lots in that category.)

Just because people aren't out to complain about every little thing that Jagex do does not make them "suck up's", I'm sorry, but you seem to be branding everyone that doesn't have the same mindset as you as a "Suck up", no, we just don't have reason to hate Jagex. Plain and simple, they've done nothing wrong to me, I'm not losing sleep, I don't care because I could obtain that item but I choose not to.

Why aren't you complaining about them getting items in real life, signed Jagex goodies? You're not there, you can't get them. Surely that's unfair? But, they give something oh-so-small to the people who do fork out the £75 and suddenly all hell breaks loose and people are pretending they care about it just to cause a scene, make a name for themselves in this "We hate Jagex and everything they do!" stance they have.

Corporations making promises -- such as "we won't make in-game items you have to buy" -- and then reneging on them are nothing new either.

You don't have to buy this item, what are you talking about? You can if you so wish choose to buy a ticket, which this item is accompanied with.

Fanboys of that corporation falling over themselves to come up with rationalizations for how the company violating its own principles is just hunky dory, and anyone who takes issue with it must just be a big jealous poopyhead? Nothing new there either.

But again, the real point is that Jagex has miraculously turned this event from something positive into something negative due to a fine combination of greed and cluelessness. I'm starting to think that whoever is in charge of gameplay balance testing over there must do double time as the head of PR -- surely it would be impossible to find *two* people this out of touch with the customer base?

You see it as negative, yes, that's you. I know many who see it as a positive thing, it's a learning curve for Jagex too. They will learn from their mistakes just like you, I and everyone else has done. Not everyone/everything is perfect, Market Research only covers so much.

Out of touch? No, again, this is just a personal thing, you dislike the content. That's a-okay. Please don't say "The customer base" when referring to what appears to be the minority.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

Do people still believe that real world advantages have no place in Runescape? I thought that facade had been peeled away ages ago.

Nothing is perfect, but if Jagex want to maintain that they are trying to avoid it, then they shouldn't do things that fly in the face of that.

I don't recall any quotes ever promising that no micro payment system won't exist, and seeing as a Jagex executive specifically showed interest in it, this seems quite contrary to what you're saying.

Well, neither of us has anything concrete on this, so not much point in batting it around too much.

Yes, some people might pay for the tickets for the in-game item. But it's hardly Jagex's issue if some players are petty.

Well, it rather negates the "you're paying for X and Y is just a goody bag" argument.

Whether you like it or not, Jagex is trying to give a little freebie to those who are attending their festival. That's it.

That's supposition on your part, of course. It could well be that they deliberately planned this, knowing the reaction it would get. (That's actually less damning than believing they didn't expect this rather obvious response.)

Also, it's not economically feasible for THEM to make it accessible for all players.

All players, no. But a lot more players, on a lot more level playing field? You bet.

They could have made it a lot less expensive in any number of ways. If that meant too many people were interested, they could have used a lottery system.

But their priorities are quite clear. They said this was about thanking their customers, but it's very evident that this is not at the top of their list.

If the flagpole is so unimportant, they couldn't have made it so everyone could get it? It would harm them how, exactly?

Jagex has made millions and millions of pounds in profits. They couldn't spare a few bucks to make an event that was actually attendable by a decent percentage of their playerbase?

I disagree, it is the community and people such as yourself which seem to have almost a vendetta against them who have turned this into a negative light. I can almost guarantee that without 3-4 people, nobody would care less. The majority opinion does seem to be that it is just a silly little flag, it's nothing to care about, and you are making a massive fuss over absolutely nothing.

You really don't know whose feelings are in the minority or the majority. You just made that up.

One thing that is undeniable, though, is that the vast majority of players will never even have the opportunity to go to this event or get that item.

As for vendettas, that's a matter of perspective. I compliment Jagex when I like what they are doing; I criticize them when I don't. When Gerhard took over I made many positive comments as he instituted positive changes. But things are rapidly backsliding and I won't pull punches just because some people don't like seeing their holy cows take a few pokes.

If you think that's what the argument is about, then you aren't paying attention at all.

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

I will agree that some people are sad enough to pay the ticket price and not go just for the flag. But that is their loss. They will miss out of a fun day out. They are stupid enough to do so. Not buying it will not negatively effect any other accounts in any way. The only harm is the idiot players who buy tickets for the flag and don't attend, and i can also guarentee that they will be the minority.

You sir, summed up my thoughts completely. =D>

I too have a feeling those who continue to make such a heated arguement over this issue have some sort of unquenchable vendetta against Jagex, or just don't trust Jagex in general.

dangsig.png

By popular demand, this signature is back- however I currently do not have a blog up at the moment and if I did I wouldn't update it. Sorry, the sig links to nowhere :( .

You think I have an "unquenchable vendetta" against Jagex. I think most of you have an "unquenchable need to kiss their [wagon]".

It's all a matter of perspective.

signew2.png

I really don't see how by disagreeing with your point of view we are in turn sucking up to or protecting Jagex. Isn't it possible that we just don't agree with what your saying.

Fabled_Foe.png

26M Crafting XP

I don't recall any quotes ever promising that no micro payment system won't exist, and seeing as a Jagex executive specifically showed interest in it, this seems quite contrary to what you're saying.

Well, neither of us has anything concrete on this, so not much point in batting it around too much.

Doesn't matter, as we aren't in the realm of micropayments here - micropayments is a fuzzy word but generally accepted as below $15. We are way out of that ball park.

You really don't know whose feelings are in the minority or the majority. You just made that up.

One thing that is undeniable, though, is that the vast majority of players will never even have the opportunity to go to this event or get that item.

As for vendettas, that's a matter of perspective. I compliment Jagex when I like what they are doing; I criticize them when I don't. When Gerhard took over I made many positive comments as he instituted positive changes. But things are rapidly backsliding and I won't pull punches just because some people don't like seeing their holy cows take a few pokes.

I could just as easily counter with a remark about tip.it's lack of objectivity due to their relationship with Jagex. It's quite interesting to watch staff member after staff member line up with fallacious arguments.

If you think that's what the argument is about, then you aren't paying attention at all.

Amen.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

But again, the real point is that Jagex has miraculously turned this event from something positive into something negative due to a fine combination of greed and cluelessness.

It is not Jagex that has changed the mood around the event, it's purly player greed. That's just what happens when your target audience is the age that is often refered to as "Generation Me". Truth is, that in this consumeristic age, people have the mentality of "How does this make me happier/better/richer?". People are so obsessed about how they can have more stuff that they're willing to abuse Jagex's generosity.

Some times you have to take a step back and look at the situation.

Do I think it's a good idea to have an ingame item to commemorate Runefest? Yes I do.

Could Jagex have unveiled this better? Yes, for sure. But this is their first time doing anything like this and it was to be expected that something would go wrong.

Are the players at fault for this whole fiasco? Yes. Jagex wants to be nice and give a ingame gift to the players who buy the tickets and player greed blows everything up.

You think I have an "unquenchable vendetta" against Jagex. I think most of you have an "unquenchable need to kiss their [wagon]".

No, we just don't hate Jagex for no apparent reason and dislike everything they do without real reason, just because of who they are. I'm not sure what they've done to you in the past to anger you, but just because we don't share that same anger and hatred doesn't mean we are "Kissing their [wagon]", that's just your overall view.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

No, we just don't hate Jagex for no apparent reason and dislike everything they do without real reason, just because of who they are. I'm not sure what they've done to you in the past to anger you, but just because we don't share that same anger and hatred doesn't mean we are "Kissing their [wagon]", that's just your overall view.

Completely agree. When a person constantly finds negative aspects of every single thing Jagex does, that person ceases to have any credibility.

The fact that a simple flag has turned into a debate over microtransactions and Jagex's philosophies regarding RWT just shows how idiotic the RS community really is. Psuedo-intellectualism at its finest.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Completely agree. When a person constantly finds negative aspects of every single thing Jagex does, that person ceases to have any credibility.

How so?

The fact that a simple flag has turned into a debate over microtransactions and Jagex's philosophies regarding RWT just shows how idiotic the RS community really is. Psuedo-intellectualism at its finest.

How so? I don't see an argument here; you're just insulting people, as per usual.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Why does it seem people are complaining about having the option of buying a ticket to a festival and receiving the useless, thanks-for-attending flag? YOU AREN'T PAYING FOR THE FLAG FFS. YOU ARE PAYING TO GO TO THE FESTIVAL. It seems like everyone has the mindset of "OMG I live over-seas and can't attend, but I want that flag! So then I have to pay for the ticket, [insert Stan the used-boat salesman dance here] BUT NOT GO! OMFG RWT!@!@@@" -.-

Unfinished netherrack symbol of Khorne.

Never forget. ~creeper face w/single tear~

DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES TOO?!?!

Why does it seem people are complaining about having the option of buying a ticket to a festival and receiving the useless, thanks-for-attending flag? YOU AREN'T PAYING FOR THE FLAG FFS. YOU ARE PAYING TO GO TO THE FESTIVAL. It seems like everyone has the mindset of "OMG I live over-seas and can't attend, but I want that flag! So then I have to pay for the ticket, [insert Stan the used-boat salesman dance here] BUT NOT GO! OMFG RWT!@!@@@" -.-

Thank you for clearing that up for us all.

Now, can you direct me to instructions for getting the item without paying any money? At this point, I'd even settle for a micropayment.

Take your time.

PvP is not for me

Now, can you direct me to instructions for getting the item without paying any money? At this point, I'd even settle for a micropayment.

Take your time.

Buy a ticket to Runefest, go to Runefest, have a great time. You will get an item free on top of that.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Take your time.

You can get it by going to your mum ,asking for a baby bottle, sucking on the nip, and get over it. Just because you want to be belligerent about a simple item just to be argumentative, you need to get help. It is the same exact thing as going to a concert and getting a free-tshirt. You payed to go to the concert and have fun with other fans of the band , not to get the tshirt.

Just remember this: Its a piece of cake to bake a pretty cake.

(You can do what Danqazmlp said too. What ever floats your boat.)

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

I'm not too fussed that you only get a flag if you're going, a lot of gaming companies seem to do it these days. I'd think that if this one is a success then they will branch out into other areas of the world so no need to panic those who can't make it :P

I still haven't decided if I want to o yet, I wish they'd tell us where in London it actually is since it is quite a big place :unsure:

SLwQsg1.png

"Unfortunately, the real world isn't the same as a fairy tale."

Take your time.

Buy a ticket to Runefest, go to Runefest, have a great time. You will get an item free on top of that.

Um, no. That's a deceptive marketing tactic, and I'm sorry you are falling for it. You don't get to split the cost of a package to pretend parts are free. Teenagers try this trick sometimes, but most adults can see right through it.

You can get it by going to your mum ,asking for a baby bottle, sucking on the nip, and get over it. Just because you want to be belligerent about a simple item just to be argumentative, you need to get help. It is the same exact thing as going to a concert and getting a free-tshirt. You payed to go to the concert and have fun with other fans of the band , not to get the tshirt.

Just remember this: Its a piece of cake to bake a pretty cake.

(You can do what Danqazmlp said too. What ever floats your boat.)

Lovely personal attacks. But the lame "get over it" that you tossed in costs you style points, and that's really all you had going for you. :shame:

PvP is not for me

Not being able to get the flag is like missing a holiday event. While some people don't care (and it's obvious on this thread), others like to either have the item themselves or at least have everyone have an equally fair opportunity to obtain it. Jumping on people like qeltar, who simply support fairness in this mess, makes no sense to me. Personally, I am very rarely upset with things Jagex does, and this, as I previously stated, infuriates me.

lalalasig2.png

Meh, who cares about that item, it gives no benefits whatsoever. I recently decided not to go because I'm unsure of what I will be doing in August, so I'm feeling a little disappointed about not going to the event, but the item? I don't care. :rolleyes:

[insert birds flying in a circle here]

Yes, that sig was annoying.

How so?

How so? I don't see an argument here; you're just insulting people, as per usual.

Haha, still butthurt about me decimating your strawman argument previously? Don't worry, you'll get over it soon kid. :mrgreen:

I have every right to insult people who lack any sense of judgement or common sense. Having a heated debate about a cosmetic "thank you" item is hilariously pointless.

Inb4 "IT'S NOT JUST ABOUT THE ITEM": Yes, it is. You have no crystal ball or precedent, so you wouldn't know if Jagex is going to roll out this feature for paid items in the future. Jagex has vehemently stated that micro-transactions will not take place inside Runescape. War of Legends is a game thats only published by Jagex. Runescape is Andrew Gower's baby, and considering he owns the majority stake in the company, Runescape is never going to have micro-transactions. Hows that for an argument?

-------------------------------------------------------------------