Mod Mark H reveal RuneFest item 2010

_YB_

It's not fair.

Poor children around the world die because of war, hunger, AIDS and multiple other reasons.

Another load of children could not ever get access to internet to play RuneScape, let alone getting schooled to read at all.

If they aren't able to get this flag, why should any english people get it? After stealing goods from the lower developed countries for hundreds of years?

Their Computers should be Stolen, their Lands should be Taken, their Flags should be Given to anyone who can't access RuneFest 2010.

God bless America, and shall drop flags all over the States for 40 days and 40 nights.

Not fair.

Any need for that? :/

Very much indeed. The flag case is very important.

hvXho.png

99+ all 23rd March 2012 - 2496 total 13th June 2012.

9000+ dragon drops! Including draconic visage, d chains, d spears, d2h, d claws, d meds, d legs, d skirts... d bones, d hides :)?

w85p2012-1.png

I want jagex to put resource dungeons and dungeoneering skill doors to dungeoneering floors so I can dungeon and get dungeoneering xp while I dg so I don't have to dg to get dg exp, but I can dg while I dg :)?

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If jagex really cared about us they would pay the travel fee and ticket cost for us. That way everyone could go and of course get that flag..

Fabled_Foe.png

26M Crafting XP

i'd still head to a convention that's actually worth my money before runefest. (SDCC 2011?) - They cannot and will not cook up enough fun for $115 to get me to go to london, or even alanta a few hours away, I'm used to paying $10-50 for major sports/comic cons and getting ALOT more value for my buck.

But what people don't seem to get is there seems to be 2 types of complainers.

1) People who want it, for whatever reason, and cant go for whatever reason

2) People who disagree with the moral principle of an in game item being obtained by real life opportunity OR people who are upset it's an adult only event when this game has catered to sniveling children for years.

I'm in the second boat. Money for items isn't really an object for me, i'd probably have all buyable skills maxed ages ago if that was the case. however considering the companies principles and adamant "MONEY WILL NEVER MEAN ANYTHING IN RUNESCAPE" approach of the last decade, it is sort of laughable and I can see why people are getting upset over the principal idea of jagex changing it's philosophy or bending it to fit an event.

If jagex want's to sell GP for $$$, fine by me, i'll even buy 99 herblore and some other skills, however to do so after making your goal for the past decade a game where real life status had no influence on your abilty to play, it's hypocritical at best to do it in my view.

I would agree if for example they gave away an item that had any value or worth whatsoever, even a weapon with minimal stats. But as it stands they are giving away an item which should have 0 effect on the game for other players. People can say it isn't about the item at all, but it is as the situation would chance dramatically if it was a different item. At the moment it is such an insignificant item in the game that I think me and many people find it absurd people are willing to complain and get flustered by it. If it was useful in any way whatsoever I think many would think different.

The Jagex stance has always been that people will not get an ingame advantage by their level of wealth outside the game and that ha not been changed as people will gain nothing at all with this item.

Oh and can we please keep the topic on topic from now on please, lets not get personal in here.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

I'm trying to understand where people are coming from with the argument based upon principle. The place I'm tripping up most on is the seeming lack of proportion within the argument; I think a lot of other people are having trouble with this as well. Comments about this limited release item being a generally useless cosmetic item with little inherent in-game value (rather than a godsword, as people have mentioned) aren't only about the value of the item, they're also about the proportion of uproar, upset and dismay in proportion to the inherent value of the item and scale within the context of the happening that has sparked this debate. I'm genuinely puzzled. Although, I have to admit I'm generally genuinely puzzled by the value placed on other items that have had limited release (to take one example, the scythe... I have one, I wouldn't care at all if Jagex released them again). Could someone explain to me why this is such a large problem? For example, why they view it as a precursor to a sort of cash shop being introduced to the game? What precedence of past actions are you basing this upon? I'm not trying to be argumentative, I would like to understand because it's just not obvious to me.

I will agree that technically this is a case of hypocrisy on Jagex's part. As Das, and others, has pointed out, this can technically be seen as an exchange of money for an in-game item. However, I would argue this is very small scale hypocrisy, especially since there is a precedence that other companies hosting events give out a free token item or gift of some sort to attendees of said event. It's more a gesture than anything substantial, like giving away an item that gives an actual advantage within the game. For example, most sports tournaments have something like a free t-shirt if you participate (usually an ugly free t-shirt... am I still bitter over the t-shirt for the rugby provincials I participated in being the ugliest mix of lavender and fuchsia? Yes, yes I am...). The t-shirt usually has zero actual worth aside from it representing that you participated in said sports tournament; any sense of pride when wearing it doesn't come from the inherent qualities of the shirt itself, it comes from that fact that only people who participated in the event have one and that it declares that you have in fact participated in said event. This flag seems to exist in the same vein. Yes, people can change the context and personal value of the item based on their own outlook, but that doesn't change the fact that the inherent value of the item is like that of ugly sports tournament t-shirts; you showed up, you participated, and now you're a dork wearing an ugly t-shirt like a badge of honour. I think the cultural context and precedence supports this interpretation and thus put forward that to interpret it else wise is to stray from the generally accepted understanding into an individual understanding that a) not everyone will understand and agree with, and B) should be recognized as a specific interpretation and stated as such within argument. Thus it is a small scale, isolated hypocrisy from a specific point of view rather than a broader, more general case of hypocrisy; which I'm willing to give them a pass on because I don't believe their intent was for this to be an exchange of £75 for a banner, rather they intended it as a happy aside to a main transaction (£75 for entrance and participation to RuneFest).

Also, to stray a bit from my previous points into other territory for a moment, I'd like to touch upon the implication that people who don't see a problem with some of the things Jagex does are beholden to them in some manner or lacking in critical reasoning skills is getting really irritating. I'll admit that I have a certain fondness for Runescape (I've been playing for several years since it was a very small game with three servers, I wouldn't stick around that long if I wasn't fond of the game) and thus have a certain fondness for Jagex as well (as they created the game). I'm not blind to Jagex's flaws because of this; rather, I see them clearly, but they don't particularly irritate me. Jagex has always made unrealistic statements and then fallen short (LOLOLOL, when members was first released there was a statement that free-to-play would still be updated with the same content, just at a slower pace... obviously, it didn't turn out that way, partially because it was a completely unrealistic business plan); this has happened numerous times, and it just doesn't bother me. It bothers some people; not because they're stupid, or lacking in critical reasoning skills, or overly high strung, or any other number of defects one could apply to them, it's just that it does. And I'm not bothered by it not because I'm a suck up, or stupid, or lacking in critical reasoning skills, or any other number of things people could call me; it just doesn't bother me, for a multitude of personal reasons based upon my own experiences. I have a lot of experience with translation, as I like to call it (in my family every fish caught is an arm span long, if you catch my drift), so maybe I'm just inured to it.

I am getting frustrated with the use of hyperbolic language from both sides. And it is coming from both sides. If there's a single golden rule to debate or argument of any kind it's the principle of charity. The principle of charity doesn't mean giving people credit that isn't due at all, it's actually about giving people a chance to earn credit where it's due in the first place. It's setting aside one's initial reaction and trying to understand the strongest points of an argument from a neutral standpoint; poke holes in it is spread a bit too thinly by all means, but don't just focus on the holes. If you don't understand something, if you're not seeing something, ask about it before writing it off completely.

4925608028_032fb6a619.jpg

It's dang nice to see you posting Glove!

To clarify: I'm all about the exclusive perks of going to cons, there's a reason i plan my convention trips 4-8 months in advance to get early bird packages with more goodies and perks. However I think jagex could of done something aside a game item, thats purely cosmetic, because it does smell a bit hypocritical. I'd much rather see jagex give away signed copies of it's book, limited edtion art prints, statues of npcs like duradel or random collectibles that are still worth going for - and would in all honesty still be worth a chunk of change on the secondary market. Heck, i'd even bid on some ;) i think it would be a cooler thing overall than an in game item as it's something that can be displayed in person for a real life trip - and it doesn't seem to violate those core principals harped upon for the past decade.

While I understand Blizzcon is over $100, - Lots of shows for comics/entertainment/sport do charge about $15-50 and manage to host in big venues (london, LA, San Diego, NY) Hell, Botcon is at flipping DISNEY WORLD - and thats a small show in comparison to other shows.

My problems fundamentally lie on three things jages has done here.

1) It's an adults only event - in a PG 13 game. This game is driven by 13-18 year olds, and to alienate them is a odd move by serving alcohol (21+ usa at least not sure how it works if an 18 year old American is in UK) - That seems to be an odd statement for a game company that has targeted itself demographically towards the 13-18 audience.

2) It's a convention , where people meet, although i figured it would happen someday, I find it humorous we can't ask for an MSN/Yahoo/Aim messenger in game, but we can go to a con and meet people in the flesh - now if you provide adult only servers where adults can talk to adults and exchange messengers - thats fair, but they don't , it's still "lockeddownkidscape"

3) The in game item for real life event - strikes me as slightly funny - because it will create a flaw in the once sound RWT arguement (yes, i saw the picture a few posts up and logically, it's still rwt at it's core on the fact you bought something in life, got something in game)

Do i give a damn? not really, I've got adventurecon, dragoncon and wizardworld alanta to do this year - but i think the side of the "jagex shouldn't do this" needs some help, so i'm arguing with them ;)

~Das1330

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

off topic: but

~Das1330

It's been way too long! It's great to see you around too. :D

I'll, um, stop cluttering this thread up with off topic stuff now. XD

off topic: but

~Das1330

It's been way too long! It's great to see you around too. :D

I'll, um, stop cluttering this thread up with off topic stuff now. XD

Actually i was the one who was originally off topic, I had to go back and add content :P

Hope to see you stick around!

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

To clarify: I'm all about the exclusive perks of going to cons, there's a reason i plan my convention trips 4-8 months in advance to get early bird packages with more goodies and perks. However I think jagex could of done something aside a game item, thats purely cosmetic, because it does smell a bit hypocritical. I'd much rather see jagex give away signed copies of it's book, limited edtion art prints, statues of npcs like duradel or random collectibles that are still worth going for - and would in all honesty still be worth a chunk of change on the secondary market. Heck, i'd even bid on some ;) i think it would be a cooler thing overall than an in game item as it's something that can be displayed in person for a real life trip - and it doesn't seem to violate those core principals harped upon for the past decade.

While I understand Blizzcon is over $100, - Lots of shows for comics/entertainment/sport do charge about $15-50 and manage to host in big venues (london, LA, San Diego, NY) Hell, Botcon is at flipping DISNEY WORLD - and thats a small show in comparison to other shows.

My problems fundamentally lie on three things jages has done here.

1) It's an adults only event - in a PG 13 game. This game is driven by 13-18 year olds, and to alienate them is a odd move by serving alcohol (21+ usa at least not sure how it works if an 18 year old American is in UK) - That seems to be an odd statement for a game company that has targeted itself demographically towards the 13-18 audience.

2) It's a convention , where people meet, although i figured it would happen someday, I find it humorous we can't ask for an MSN/Yahoo/Aim messenger in game, but we can go to a con and meet people in the flesh - now if you provide adult only servers where adults can talk to adults and exchange messengers - thats fair, but they don't , it's still "lockeddownkidscape"

3) The in game item for real life event - strikes me as slightly funny - because it will create a flaw in the once sound RWT arguement (yes, i saw the picture a few posts up and logically, it's still rwt at it's core on the fact you bought something in life, got something in game)

Do i give a damn? not really, I've got adventurecon, dragoncon and wizardworld alanta to do this year - but i think the side of the "jagex shouldn't do this" needs some help, so i'm arguing with them ;)

~Das1330

I'm officially blaming my off topicness on you. :P

Anyway, yeah, fair enough. Although, the major problem with RWT was that it was trading real money for an in-game advantage (gp, which could then be changed into experience in various skills with components that could be bought) and that it caused a very destructive and volatile real world industry and situation for Jagex where in stolen credit cards were being used to pay for memberships. Strictly speaking, the payment for the ticket resulting in getting a redeemable code (which some players may choose to sell to others for real world money) that gives the person an in-game item is RWT, it won't induce a resurgence of either of the two major problems with RWT; it's a little hypocritical in the area of Jagex professing that they don't want a player's real world wealth to give them an in-game advantage over another player, but again, there isn't really a real advantage to the banner aside from showing off. I do agree that an actual physical item would be a million times cooler though. XD

I'm not going to pretend to understand the pricing, nor defend it. I've got no idea how expensive cons are; I've never been to one. If I'm going to be swallowed up by a large crowd, I'd rather be listening to a band or at an art gallery/museum to be honest. XD

On the drinking age limit, it goes by what the limit is in the country/area you are currently in is. For example, the legal age to consume alcohol in Ontario (Canada XD) is 19, but it's 18 in Quebec, so if you're in Quebec you can go to bars and buy drinks if you're 18 whether or not your residence is in Ontario. Likewise, if you're traveling in another country that has a lower age limit, like the UK, you can drink if you are above that limit regardless of what the limit is in your home country (the opposite is true too, if the age limit is higher in the country you're visiting you can't drink unless you're of equal or greater age, regardless of what the legal age limit is in your home country). It's the same for laws of consent and other miscellaneous age limits. I think the legal drinking age in the UK is mostly 16? I'm not completely clear on it though because I haven't been to the UK and I don't drink anyway (and, I'm way above the age limit anyways XD).

Got me there. That's probably one of the most frustrating aspects of RS. Although, to be fair this is probably why they did make it a 16+ event. 16 in the UK (again, from what I've gathered through various sources as I haven't visited the UK myself) is not the same as 16 in the States or Canada I don't think. At sixteen in the UK teenagers enter college (I think it's sort of like cégep, if you know what that is... more responsibility, work and freedom in relation to life choices and school than high school, but less than university? IDK, that's what I've gathered) and have more responsibility and freedom than the average sixteen year old in North America; or, it seems that way, it might just be a sort of token thing. I'm not clear on it, so maybe one of the UK residents can clear that up for us.

Personally, I don't care much either way myself. I'm spending my hard earned cash on a month long road trip through eastern Canada (and it's going to be super awesome). It's just the tone of the argument (from both sides) has rankled me until I got my hackles up. :P

Now that I'm back, you're so not getting rid of me easily, nor any time soon. XD

The money for items in game period is my issue. I expect that people in real life that have money to have andvantages. The people who go will probably get goodies that I would love to have. I don't have an issue with these things.

But I can just walk outside and watch the nicer cars go by or go to the store and see things I can't afford. You can't go anywhere in life without seeing the advantages that money brings you. I come to Runescape to spend my leisure time escaping from the real world. This item, whether someone walking around, or seeing the hole in my POH box reminds me of Real Life now, the thing I was spending a little time having fun on Runescape trying to forget.

I really thought that the developers held a philosophy that would keep my escape from Life truly an escape. I guess I was wrong.

edit: the reason I think some of us feel emotional about this, or at least the reason I'm so sad/upset/dissillusioned is that this is a crack between our Runescape life and our real life. All things being equal, we would love to go. But all things aren't equal, and we can't escape that even in game. It will, at one time or another, be shoved in our faces. It would be like building a vacation house to escape the crime in the city, then come to it one weekend and find it robbed. It would never be the same after that. The safety would just never be the same. I can't aford a vacation home, so I make do with Runescape.

The money for items in game period is my issue. I expect that people in real life that have money to have andvantages. The people who go will probably get goodies that I would love to have. I don't have an issue with these things.

But I can just walk outside and watch the nicer cars go by or go to the store and see things I can't afford. You can't go anywhere in life without seeing the advantages that money brings you. I come to Runescape to spend my leisure time escaping from the real world. This item, whether someone walking around, or seeing the hole in my POH box reminds me of Real Life now, the thing I was spending a little time having fun on Runescape trying to forget.

I really thought that the developers held a philosophy that would keep my escape from Life truly an escape. I guess I was wrong.

Uh, Members costs 6 bucks a month.

There goes your argument.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

You might try reading my first post a few pages back about how memebership is a totally different thing.

To summerize (though do go back and reading it please): having or not having the money for membership at any point in time does not change your ability to get an item. If you were f2p when godswords came out, you are not out of luck, you can always hope/save for enough real life money to get members and have your godsword. Membership confers the same items no matter when you have it. Member's items are perpetually avalible. This isn't.

You might try reading my first post a few pages back about how memebership is a totally different thing.

To summerize (though do go back and reading it please): having or not having the money for membership at any point in time does not change your ability to get an item. If you were f2p when godswords came out, you are not out of luck, you can always hope/save for enough real life money to get members and have your godsword. Membership confers the same items no matter when you have it. Member's items are perpetually avalible. This isn't.

If the item actually had any sort of benefit outside of being purely cosmetic, I'd see your point totally.

Yes, Jagex is giving out this item to people that buy the ticket and attend the event. It's really nothing more than a token that says you participated in RuneFest. It's no more significant or advantageous than owning bunny ears, a scythe, or a yo-yo - these items are proof that players participated in events held so many years ago.

Yes, you have to pony up $120 to buy the tickets to the event. Who made the assumption that it would be free? Why would anyone even think such a thing? Does it really matter that you're making $X a month - you've got to consider taxes, wages, and development upkeep/costs. Then comes the costs for renting space, refreshments, goodies, and the like. C'mon, folks...

Perhaps I'm going on wild tangents here, but I think people are blowing this issue up too much. The event is the reason you buy the ticket, not the banner. If you're thinking about the item more than you are the event, then perhaps it's time for you to take a step back and really consider why.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Okay, so as per your request, I have read every single post in this thread. I would have replied earlier but of course, it would not have been fair at all! Take this short moment to criticize me about posting too late after everybody's done discussing this issue to death. Go on. I can wait.

You set?

So, from what I'm seeing, the best way for me to approach this is to make it clear that I'm on nobody's side at all.

Here goes!

[spoiler=Original Post]Folks that are saying this is a bad thing. No, I don't think they meant to do a cash grab. Yes, I think it was kind of stupid to do this. No, I don't think they shouldn't have given it out anyway. I mean, somebody mentioned that they should have asked for usernames to link to tickets. Same concept, but I would force people to log in before ordering the tickets and then drop a little surprise happy box at the bank for them. That might have worked. But on the other hand, a sudden exclusive would have been equally met with opposition. So I guess no item at all then. Bringing me to my next point.

RS community at large: I hate you. Seriously. You're the largest factor that's holding us all back. It's the only thing that's keeping RS the way it is now.....a bunch of diehards who think nothing should ever change, and that having everything back the way it was would be best for everybody. This is both impossible and quite possibly wrong, if the "popularity" of RS Classic is any indication. Also the notion that doing nothing counts as doing something, and doing nothing longer is the only honor in this world. What. If you want to do that don't drag everybody down with you! Why even play a multiplayer game if you just want to do nothing. Seriously.

You say that's not what you wanted? Too bad. Your beliefs betray your desires. Enjoy laying in your grave that you dug.

Guys who are chill with this: good for you. Also bad for you for not understanding their plight. But seriously I would stop trying to convince the other folks. Doesn't accomplish anything. Also you can pretty much ignore them. I mean, if Jagex ignores em, why not you too? With any luck they will either decide to leave or you will. Both good outcomes. In the meanwhile trying to say otherwise is like talking down a bullet which has been already fired in the hopes that putting your face in front of it and telling it why it is wrong will make it hesitate to shatter your skull.

Also, Jagex is ignoring you too.

Collectors: one day you will fail to have something. It will be the end of the world. That day is here. I offer my paltry condolences. These condolences will only be available for the next fifteen minutes. Anybody who reads this afterwards is hereby banned from any future enjoyment of life.

Jagex: you're unflappably dumb. Why. You have your customer base down to the same blandomatic sheeple template. You know what they like. You know what they don't like. Or at least I thought you did. Don't do anything new. Ever. Just make the treadmill more pretty and keep raising the pizazz for the oldbies. Eventually they will all perish from rot or cease to move due to the fact that they've dried up into tiny shriveled husks and we can put this whole thing behind us, never look back, and move on.

Small note to naysayers: yeah, I just said that you're sheeple just like the "Jagex suckups". But have you taken a good look at what you're doing? That's right. You are instinctively taking a stand against something that will no way affect you at all, for a principle that, a few hours before this occurrence, you would have derided as stupid and not worthy of "wrecking the entire game" for. You don't care about that concept at all. You are just angry at Jagex because they're idiots. This is like being angry at a brick wall for being composed of bricks.

Me: why are you even writing this? Nobody's going to actually read it! Or even think it applies to them. That they're special. Ha. Just forget it. Leave this thread now. Nobody cares.

People who are agreeing with me right now: cut that out! You don't want to be like me! Go back to what you were doing!

TL;DR

We are all stupid. Why are we doing this. Stop being stupid. *punches self out*

8f14270694.jpg

I like change, but you are implying that change should mean totally abandoning principles that you previously made promises to hold to, then i think that is wrong. The day it is items for cash, no matter how silly or stupid or pointless the items, it is a change in philosophy that not only do I not agree with, it is aginst what was previously expressed as their stance.

And it doesn't matter what the item is, it is an item that we will never have, for what ever use we chose to put it to. Just because it has no value to you, doesn't mean it has no worth. I'll try not to put worth judgements on your items, if you wont put worth judgements on mine. Whether pixils or real life, all items only have the worth someone is willing to invest in them/ pay for them.

But really, I have no problem with them having this event (edit: actually, I'm glad they are having this event, just wish they were pulling it off better.). I have no problem with it being out of my reach. In my opionion the price is a little high, but it is their event, and I don't have a complant about them pricing it as they choice/must. I'm perfectlly fine with people getting a mountain of free stuff from the event. I'm not ok with it bleeding over to a permenate in game item that was purchased with money.

p.s. and my comment about reading back was just about my post, not the whole thread. In said previous post I had elaborated on some other arguments previously used in the thread, and why I felt they were not valid. It was not an meant to sound as if it applied to the whole thread.

Oh, I was just referring to all those posts earlier about people not understanding/reading their post or beliefs. If you have made one, I do not recall if it is you or somebody else. It was more than one person at least.

To clarify, I am not singling out anybody in particular in saying I pretty much find everybody here at fault for clinging on to that last thread of hope that things will be better.

Especially me.

Okay maybe I'm singling out myself. Stop picking on me, me! I have a right mind to report me for personal attack!

Anyway, a general rule I like to have is that you can't hold any one person accountable for the beliefs of the entire company, even if that same person was the one that established that company belief earlier, because the company is considered a separate entity and therefore could brutally devour that individual at any given moment if they were inclined to.

But know this. At a later time, when you are doing an event, and you get an item, show up on RSOF or here, and say that the whole thing was a waste of time and that the item sucked and was hardly worth getting, and you wish it were worth something and tradable like in the olden days, and that it was harder to get so that it would actually mean something, I will be right behind you, glaring over your shoulder harder than the cockatrice with the largest eyes in Gielinor.

EDIT:

For the less ironically inclined, that means that if this item WERE a free item, people would think it was stupid, that it was just another ploy to get people to come to their events, and that it wasn't worth their time getting it, won't get it at all, or actively protest against the event for being a cash grabbing money monger. People would set the flag down and then put a fire under it in a pathetic attempt at effigy.

What if the event were free?

Then they'd be accused of trying to push their product, sell out more and still make Jagex out to be "just like everybody else."

See? Can't have nice things. Can't win at all.

2ND EDIT:

Darn it I just gave out a free idea to protesters. I should be charging for this.

Darn it me, stop selling out your beliefs.

8f14270694.jpg

strilmus, I think I just got a post crush. <3: (Well, on both of them.)

You're accusing me of bigotry, how ironic. It's a nice attempt at argument, but your responses are facile and asinine, if not diatribe. Who's arrogant now?

Actually, my REAL real point is that we shouldn't let our principles hold us back if it forces us to do really, really stupid things in order to maintain them.

Obviously we shouldn't just dump our principles like a hat that is being dropped for the sake of being dropped, but we should also stop wearing the damn hat if it's on fire.

Someday I might have a statue made of me with that burning hat but it don't do me a bit of good now, and if people think it did them good later, they're deluding themselves.

Also I have no idea how to make a statue of a person wearing a burning hat look dignified.

8f14270694.jpg

I agree, you should never hold on to a principle so tightly that is strangles you. But, you should at least have a logical, well thought out reason for the change. Having your hat on fire is a good reason to take it off.

If someone can tell me why this in game item for Runefest was need, why it over comes the previously held policy, then I will crawl my moral indignation back into the hole from whince it came. But all of this could have been done with out this. It just feels like they have thrown away a principle that some of us took very seriously, for very, very little gain. Not only that, but like they did it with out even thinking, with out even realizing what it looks like. Or maybe better said how some of their players would FEEL about it.

I supported the RWT updates for this reason: Jagex had two principles: they were aginst RWT and for free trade. Then it happened that because of credit card fraud, that they had to do something about RWT, something more, something permanent. So they abanded their principle of free trade to keep the game alive. They knew we'd not like it, they knew we'd be upset, but they gave us the reasons, and you either excepted that this was the new order of things to keep the game alive, or you didn't. I respected that, i respected the hard choice it was, and I respected that they were open and honest about the change in the way of the RS world.

And someday, if it comes to it, and the only way to keep runescape alive, is to inact some type of micro-transactions, and they do it with openness and honesty like the RWT updates, then I'd probably stick with them through that too.

Oh, and no matter what the holiday event item, I always love them. Alot of thought and time and work goes in to them, and I was taught growing up that you value and apreciate a gift, if not for the gift itself, for the thought behind it.

In short: Prove to me the hat's on fire

edit: oh, and I know why I'm doing this. I have insomnia. I read the new books from the library already. This is an issue I care about. I actually care what other people have to say about it too. Maybe shake some people out of apathy. Talking about it makes me feel better also. (when of course the flame throwers aren't out, I like my hat)

RS community at large: I hate you. Seriously. You're the largest factor that's holding us all back. It's the only thing that's keeping RS the way it is now.....a bunch of diehards who think nothing should ever change, and that having everything back the way it was would be best for everybody. This is both impossible and quite possibly wrong, if the "popularity" of RS Classic is any indication. Also the notion that doing nothing counts as doing something, and doing nothing longer is the only honor in this world. What. If you want to do that don't drag everybody down with you! Why even play a multiplayer game if you just want to do nothing. Seriously.

It is a bit off topic, but that paragraph almost read my mind and is something I can't help but think about Runescape. Take for example the recent Dungeoneering skill. Runescape could benefit hugely from allowing those items outside of the dungeons, and give massive choice to everybody on what items they use without one being the best. However, it would never change because the stick Jagex would get would be so high. The game will rarely be drastically changed from the old ways.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Whole thread is tl;dr. So I post my thoughts.

RuneScape is like a rented car. You pay for it, but it's not yours. You can drive around happily with it, gain experience or even learn how to drive a manual/automatic car, but it's still not yours.

You want a bigger car? You pay more rent for a SUV, still it's not yours. You want GPS? You pay even more. (EDIT: Actually, I don't see how this part relates. It's kinda off topic)

The Flag of Festivities is different, it's you like attend a event, you get "I attended X car festival!" printed onto the side of your SUV. I don't see what's so unfair about that. You attend their event, they give you a small prize, purely cosmestical, no bonuses or have any much impact on the community and economy.

If you're complaining that people in London can go and the people in US can't, might aswell rant about membership. $5 is like a burger in the US, but $5 can buy a small microwave in my country. I don't think that's fair, but I still pay for it regardless. You want the flag so much? Go attend the event. :)

EDIT: Removed a part, sounded too harsh.

zuzmo.png

collio.png

[hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide]

Never gonna give you up.[/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide]

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

You want the flag so much? Go attend the event and get over it.

If you live on Hawaii?

If you are a poor kid with poor parents?

Then why are you even complaining about this? You should be complaining about membership before you even start with the flag.

zuzmo.png

collio.png

[hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide]

Never gonna give you up.[/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide]

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

If you live on Hawaii?

Then why are you even complaining about this? You should be complaining about membership before you even start with the flag.

Right, because five bucks a month is totally comparable to a weekend trip that would easily cost a couple grand. :rolleyes:

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

If you live on Hawaii?

Right, because five bucks a month is totally comparable to a weekend trip that would easily cost a couple grand. :rolleyes:

No, because it's unfair. And he's poor. He should look at something more BENEFITIAL to have first.

zuzmo.png

collio.png

No, because it's unfair. And he's poor. He should look at something more BENEFITIAL to have first.

I dont get how you can compare 1500 dollars for 2-3 days to 7 dollars a month which is 0,23 dollars in 1 day.

Im over this though, dont see any point in arguing over it anymore.