Things that annoy the HELL out of you.

Assume Nothing

It doesn't mean you're addicted, just weak willed. :razz:

Does anybody find it hypocritical that smoking advertisements have been outlawed in daytime TV yet alcohol hasn't?

I feel the lesser evil lost.

• Like 1

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Does anybody find it hypocritical that smoking advertisements have been outlawed in daytime TV yet alcohol hasn't?

Well, they can't show anyone actually drinking in beer commercials if that counts for anything.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

Well, they can't show anyone actually drinking in beer commercials if that counts for anything.

That doesn't help much.

Nor does chasing a beer-strapped goat across a street.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Tobacco commercials are completely banned here. And no alcohol commercials before 10 PM and and after 6AM.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

The debate around alcohol is more contentious, though. I hate to bring class into the discussion but, particularly so around middle-class drinking culture which is stereotypically seen as more "healthy". I personally disagree with that stereotype because it's a) factually incorrect; and b) leans far too much on class prejudice, but that's how the debate would be played if a ban on drinking ads were proposed.

Never say never of course, but smoking is almost never healthy and is linked to a ridiculous number of chronic and acute illnesses and mortalities.

Surely, as well, no-one here would disagree on the central point that bans on smoking ads (not the activity of smoking itself) are in the best interests of public health, hypocrisies aside.

Healthy or not, it's still a legal product that the companies have every right to advertise. [/devil's advocate]

That said, it annoys the hell out of me that advertising for tobacco in magazines is banned in Canada, but magazines from the states that are sold up here still have them.

Edit: the fact that US mags still have them that is, not that they're banned.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Lower, middle, upper class everybody participates in the American drinking culture: spend a lot, drink a lot. I merely find it hypocritical that smoking is one of the few vices that doesn't get you drunk/high yet it is banned from advertising...because lots of people get injured by smoking drivers!

On an unrelated note, I find it the misuse of 'middle class' mildly annoying (not referencing to you, Ginger). Middle classmen are supposed to be highly educated professionals (lawyers, professors, accountants, bankers) or owners of capital (businessmen).

Not sururban families having two jobs 9-5 with their house as their biggest asset. That's just the upper working class!

Whatever makes them feeling significant and relevant I guess.

siggy3s.jpg

Lower, middle, upper class everybody participates in the American drinking culture: spend a lot, drink a lot. I merely find it hypocritical that smoking is one of the few vices that doesn't get you drunk/high yet it is banned from advertising...because lots of people get injured by smoking drivers!

Lung and throat disease (+ addiction-related issues) is still a thing, right?

It was time for my two yearly trainer purchase. I went into footlocker and saw the most beautiful Adidas hi tops ever but when I tried it on there was a god damn heel in the shoe. I am mildly upset.

rc1tzc.png

☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢

Plenty of people do inherit illnesses from the effects of passive (secondary) smoking. Just to be clear on that point...

Like I said, I find the stereotype flawed. But that's how the argument would be played out. "Why should I be judged for purchasing a glass of wine for my 14-year old son to go with his Sunday roast at the carvery? It's the feckless, slutty, irresponsible, binge-drinking chavs that have a problem!" In politics, facts and evidence are what you want them to be. Smoking is one of few examples where the argument is irrefutable.

On an unrelated note, I find it the misuse of 'middle class' mildly annoying (not referencing to you, Ginger). Middle classmen are supposed to be highly educated professionals (lawyers, professors, accountants, bankers) or owners of capital (businessmen).

Not sururban families having two jobs 9-5 with their house as their biggest asset. That's just the upper working class!

Whatever makes them feeling significant and relevant I guess.

Completely agreed. Furthermore, the term 'working class' has been demonized to the point that no-one wants to associate themselves as being part of it. I'll circle back to my original point though which is that one of the ways the working class has been demonized is by misrepresentations of working class culture, an example of which is Friday/Saturday binge-drinking. Which would undoubtedly crop up in any debate about banning alcohol ads. People would try and establish a false dichotomy between sophisticated "continental European" drinking and the local nightclub selling alcopops and vodka mixers at ten-a-penny.

Continental Europe is a reaaalllly wide term. Estonia is also a part of Continental Europe, yet few drink wine. We are more of a beer and vodka people.

And here, Friday/Saturday/Sunday binge drinking belongs rather for the better off people's routine. Poor people, I mean really poor binge drink every day.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

Poor people, I mean really poor binge drink every day.

That statement there kind of sums up my point, really. This fallacious idea that poor people's lives are spent in nothing more than a drunken stupor. What if I told you that frequent drinking becomes more common in individuals of higher social classes, and that alcohol initiation is less likely in teenagers whose parents are unemployed?

I can link to studies if asked, or you can assume good faith. Just ask if you want the former.

• Like 1

I know that, because I am from a small country village, where half the population is unemployed and poor. My own uncle is a drunkard. [bleep] please. And the situation is like that almost everywhere around here. Granted, these people do not drink anything remotely worth any more money, they buy the cheapest thing that is available, but these are the facts here.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

• 3 weeks later...

Got very annoyed that all national parks are closed in the States! Planned a road trip from SF to LV next week. Now I have to come up a plan B...not to include Yosemite, Death Valley, Zion, Grand Canyon.

First world problem incoming:

My housing providers installed a new shower head in over the summer and now the water pressure is absolute garbage. It feels like the water is just dripping on me.

I know this is really late, but if you're feeling adventurous you might be able to fix that. A lot of these "water saving" devices have a rubber washer just inside the nozzle that restricts water flow but can be removed.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

First world problem incoming:

My housing providers installed a new shower head in over the summer and now the water pressure is absolute garbage. It feels like the water is just dripping on me.

I know this is really late, but if you're feeling adventurous you might be able to fix that. A lot of these "water saving" devices have a rubber washer just inside the nozzle that restricts water flow but can be removed.

Can't do it. The part that twists off is glued down.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

People who chew food with their mouth open.

People who act like there belief is the only possible true belief.

People who hate on the new runescape without an actual argument for it.

Usa's government.

• Like 1

Zlinqx.png
I could write something clever or witty down here but i'm too lazy to do that.

If you're bored check out my youtube channel i post videos of playing browser and retro games:http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOkjD5iYUrhBeYP6eg4HHuQ

a coworker pronounced chipotle incorrectly today. i plan to constantly harass and belittle him for it until he quits.

If I ever meet you in real life, I'll be sure to purposely mispronounce everything.

j0xPu5R.png