Things that annoy the HELL out of you.

Assume Nothing

People that derail threads into meaningless arguments.

Not meaningless.

Out of place then.

IMMORAL. That's what it is.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Lenin, from your post I can conclude that you've little exposure to the reality of the outside world, so I'm not going to get angry or flame you. Just remember, though, that people do things and experience things that are no less valid just because you've no experience of them.

You base this off a dissimilarity in personal ethics?

The callous apathy to suffering is a trait either of a psychopath or a young person with very little actual exposure to life. I'm assuming the latter.

I think we can all empathise to those with cancer, irrespective of our ethical perspectives.

Depends on what you mean by "exposure to life." Sure, I've never been sky diving or anything or had any major financial troubles. I knew a guy in middle school with skin cancer. He was kind of a [puncture], though, and it didn't really come up except the occasional day when he had to miss school for treatment, so it didn't have any big impact on me. Far as I know he's alive still. Step-grandmother died of cervical cancer just last year, though that hit my aunt (her daughter) more than anyone else really. Don't know what I'm ramblin on that for, really.

Lenin said throwing around the word 'brave' was problematic, not the word 'hero'.

And to be honest (and I don't mean any offense), I think that Lenin's being a bit unreasonable, as are the people who agree with him. I mean, come on, does it really piss you off when people call a kid who is going to die soon 'brave'? Who cares if this kid doesn't fit the exact definition of bravery. In such a situation, why should you be pissed about a little misuse of the word? Death is right in front of them; they know they won't live as long as they could have without cancer. They have to deal with that, and I find simply living on knowing that to be brave, simply accepting it.

'Hero' would probably be worse to throw around than 'brave', honestly.

I'm sure many say the opposite is brave: sticking it out, experiencing the suffering.

That depends. If they have some hope of survival,that could be bravery. Otherwise it's a cowardly clinging to of whatever small scrap of awful, painful life they can hold on to for a brief moment.

Personally, I like it when legitimate discussion comes out of a thread that is previously lacking in substance. But perhaps that's just me :P

I do what I can.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

When people bicker over a subjective subject, like whether it should be declared that one whom fights cancer is a hero, or if the said person is brave for fighting cancer. The truth value of that statement or judgement is highly dependent on how one defines those rather ambiguous umbrella terms, and it may only apply to some. Also, I don't see the point in arguing over something so trivial.

On the contrary, I do enjoy participating in a debate which is rather consequential though.

When people bicker over a subjective subject, like whether it should be declared that one whom fights cancer is a hero, or if the said person is brave for fighting cancer. The truth value of that statement or judgement is highly dependent on how one defines those rather ambiguous umbrella terms, and it may only apply to some. Also, I don't see the point in arguing over something so trivial.

On the contrary, I do enjoy participating in a debate which is rather consequential though.

Consequential is a highly subjective and ambiguous term as well. But I digress.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

People that derail threads into meaningless arguments.

Not meaningless.

Out of place then.

IMMORAL. That's what it is.

I see what you did there.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Lenin said throwing around the word 'brave' was problematic, not the word 'hero'.

And to be honest (and I don't mean any offense), I think that Lenin's being a bit unreasonable, as are the people who agree with him. I mean, come on, does it really piss you off when people call a kid who is going to die soon 'brave'? Who cares if this kid doesn't fit the exact definition of bravery. In such a situation, why should you be pissed about a little misuse of the word? Death is right in front of them; they know they won't live as long as they could have without cancer. They have to deal with that, and I find simply living on knowing that to be brave, simply accepting it.

'Hero' would probably be worse to throw around than 'brave', honestly.

That was what I was getting at. A poster was talking about labeling them hero's, when really you had been talking about associating bravery to them. I would completely understand why someone wouldn't call a cancer patient a hero simply because they have cancer.

I'm sure many say the opposite is brave: sticking it out, experiencing the suffering.

That depends. If they have some hope of survival,that could be bravery. Otherwise it's a cowardly clinging to of whatever small scrap of awful, painful life they can hold on to for a brief moment.

And that is definitely your opinion. I could certainly construct such a situation so that said person could be exhibit bravery. :P And it calls into question the sensitive and controversial subject of euthanasia/assisted suicide (whatever you want to call it), which would be better off discussed in a different thread.

pMcEU.png

| My Tumblr |

I really hate how we have this DROP EVERYTHING mentality about 9/11. Here I am trying to take my Statistics test, and for a full 15 minutes some JROTC kids drone on and on about an event that half of the student body no longer has a clear memory of. Yes, I realize that this was a huge tragedy for our nation but come on. We don't do this thing for Columbine or Pearl Harbor (Which I bet not even half of our population knows the dates for.) or whatever else.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

I kinda agree, despite in Australia. Sure, it was a horrific day, but droning on about it is NOT going to make people move on. That's like saying at each wedding anniversary "Oh, this was the date my Ex Wife died. She was blah blah blah" Sure its bad, but come on, 10 years later I'm sure you can move on.

Popoto.~<3

I have to agree with you guys. Right now what annoys me to no end with the news is that they are cultivating the fear of people with the 9/11 story, adding a lot of hype on that 10th anniversary, and saying there is going to be something that's going to happen. I'm ready to bet that nothing is going to happen. Or maybe it's to remove even more rights from the American people without opposition.

Lenin, from your post I can conclude that you've little exposure to the reality of the outside world, so I'm not going to get angry or flame you. Just remember, though, that people do things and experience things that are no less valid just because you've no experience of them.

You base this off a dissimilarity in personal ethics?

The callous apathy to suffering is a trait either of a psychopath or a young person with very little actual exposure to life. I'm assuming the latter.

I think we can all empathise to those with cancer, irrespective of our ethical perspectives.

Sure we can empathize with them, but the willingness to lie to them in order to put them in a delusional state of blissful ignorance isn't exactly a trademark of maturity. It's essentially Platonism.

I really hate how we have this DROP EVERYTHING mentality about 9/11. Here I am trying to take my Statistics test, and for a full 15 minutes some JROTC kids drone on and on about an event that half of the student body no longer has a clear memory of. Yes, I realize that this was a huge tragedy for our nation but come on. We don't do this thing for Columbine or Pearl Harbor (Which I bet not even half of our population knows the dates for.) or whatever else.

I've always thought that the drop everything mentality is just a way of telling the terrorist that "Hey, your attack was so effective, that even ten years ago, we're still not completely over it". It's just a way of letting them know that they were very successful in creating fear and panic in the world.

I don't see much of an issue with the phrase to denote the event - it marks the day which the rather historical event took place, which is the 11th of September. I guess it could be officially changed to a different name eg 'WTC Day' or something.