Rock climbing boots affecting RuneScape

Leoo

Personally this brought my bank from 50m to 130m overnight. But on the downside all the people with these boots are trying to sell so in that case the price for these will dramatically go down. Although alching these boots will still bring in much profit....Horrible one Jagex. Simpil_Plan5.png

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be more concerned if I didn't drain enough money from the economy each day to counter the price change for 500 of these boots lol, times however many people do similar activities. plus the fact that alchemy on random things brings in much more than this did, it's just not a big deal

well, let's not understatethe problem here. lets say each person in rs had a pair of climbing boots. lets estimate that number at 3million (though many people have 100k+).

3 million at 45k alch value is 135tril into the economy. 135tril.

Lrn2maths

Trillion has 12 zeros. 3,000,000 x 45,000 only yields 9 zeros. That means 135 billion. Or 0.1% of what you said.

I havent calculated crap, but im pretty sure trillion is different in different countrys.

O.O

well, let's not understatethe problem here. lets say each person in rs had a pair of climbing boots. lets estimate that number at 3million (though many people have 100k+).

3 million at 45k alch value is 135tril into the economy. 135tril.

Lrn2maths

Trillion has 12 zeros. 3,000,000 x 45,000 only yields 9 zeros. That means 135 billion. Or 0.1% of what you said.

I havent calculated crap, but im pretty sure trillion is different in different countrys.

You're perfectly correct, in some countries, a trillion can have 12 zeros (as said). In others (although this is becoming more and more rare) it can have 18 zeros.

Still, both way way off OP's value.

Schmuall.png

give F2P a penny and they want a dime; give P2P a quarter, they want 100,000 dollars, your car, house, boat, social security number, credit card numbers, drivers license, clothes on your back and everything you ever owned or interacted with ever

Guys ... It doesn't really matter if alching brings more money in n days. What matters is this wasn't gradual, it was a surge. What matters even more? Confidence. You don't see anybody trading Zimbabwe currency.

SOS_100x100.png

Help drive change Canada

A few random people gaining 5 to 10m once is nothing.

HOWEVER, people expect prices to rise and so will buy combat based things to hopefully profit off the rise and in the end collectively cause the inflation they anticipate.

LoL, it's nothing?

I personally didn't even know I had any climbing boots in my bank, but I had 6, which was a high alch value of about 240k. Nothing really, but when you introduce that gold to most players in the game, it adds up, and it does and will cause massive inflation.

Look at the price of bandos armour, godswords, and dragon bones (the lucky ones who benefited from this buying their way to 99 prayer).. they're shooting up like crazy.. and it's not because people are trying to merchant them.

Yes it is, because I and any other sensible person without reservations about taking advantage of stupidity and with spare coins is stocking up.

EDIT: To the above, there is no currency exchange in runescape other than psuedo rares like crowns and such, and those cost too much to be significantly affected other than people selling off their lower rares(aka masks) to have more coins to buy weapons and such.

Barrows: 9~2 V Brass,V Flail,2 Dh Plate,V Helm,V Skirt,T Legs,Malevolent Shield + DKing: 48~6 W Ring,13 A Ring,8 M Staff,9 S Ring,7 B Ring,3 Seercull
Dragon Drops: 500+~50+ Med,26 Axe,3 Chain,10+ Legs,10+ Spear,2 D2h,10+ L Half,49 Boots,2 DDs,10+ Lump,9 Claws,50+ Dagger,14 Visage,50+ Mace,4 Scimitar,7 Hasta,Baxe,50+ Long,30+ Royal,2 Kite,4 Ward,2 Plate,Staff,Hammer,Limbs, Mattock,Halberd
GWD: 156~4 S Staff,50+ Shard,9 B Tass,13 B Plate,5 B Boots,6 A Plate,11 S Sword,8 A Hilt,4 A Skirt,9 A Helm,S Hilt,3 B Hilt,B Glove,2 A Buckler,Z Ward,Z Garb,2 Z Boots,B Shield,B Helm

Corp: 3~Elysian,2 Sp Sh + Nex: 6~Torva Legs,Cere,P cowl,Z bow,2 T boots + GWD2: 9~2 Glaive,Wand,2 Crest,Blade,2 Essence,Core + Araxyte: 5~Web,3 Pheromone,Fang + Raids: 4~3 Codex,P Boots  + Trails: 2~Bob Shirt,Fortunate

Etc: 64~3 Sceptre,B Mask,16 Whip,2 Focus Sight,5 D Bow,7 SOL,Ragefire,2 Steadfast,Arma Staff,6 Rider Armor,5 Vine,2 Razorback,2 A Wand,Abby Orb,3 Blood Shard,6 Hydrix,Gland,Asc Xbow
[spoiler=Capes]Quest Cape Aquired 12-7-07 ~ Level 93 + + + Completionist Cape Aquired 5-22-15 ~ Level 138
Hitpoints Cape Aquired 9-21-09 ~ Level 131 + Magic Cape Aquired 9-24-09 + Attack Cape Aquired 3-5-10 ~ Level 135 + Summoning Cape Aquired 3-12-10

Strength Cape Aquired 6-1-11 ~ Level 137 + Fire Cape Aquired 6-23-11 + Defence Cape Aquired 7-5-11 + Ranged Cape Aquired 8-1-11 + Kiln Cape Aquired 2-26-12 ~ Level 138
Dungeoneering Cape Aquired 4-22-12 + Slayer Cape Aquired 6-25-14 ~ Level 200 + Herblore Cape Acquired 12-9-14 ~ Level 138 + Prayer Cape Acquired 12-20-14
Agility Cape Acquired 1-4-15 + Hunter Cape Acquired 1-30-15 + Construction Cape Acquired 1-31-15 + Crafting Cape Acquired 2-22-15 + Thieving Cape Acquired 3-18-15
Runecrafting Cape Acquired 4-14-15 + Mining Cape Acquired 4-19-15 + Fishing Cape Acquired 4-25-15 + Firemaking Cape Acquired 4-26-15 + Woodcutting Cape Acquired 4-26-15
Cooking Cape Acquired 4-26-15+ Smithing Cape Acquired 4-28-15 + Farming Cape Acquired 4-29-15 + Divination Cape Acquired 5-3-15 + Dungeoneering Mastery 5-4-15
Fletching Cape Acquired 5-4-15 + Max Cape Acquired 5-4-15 + Invention Cape Acquired 11-9-16 + Invention Mastery 5-16-19 + Archaeology Cape Acquired 10-30-20

Still waiting to see a picture of someone with a large amount of climbing boots :unsure:

I'm still waiting to see a genuine, non-Photoshopped one. Though I have seen quite a few which have been dismissed as fakes.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

EDIT: To the above, there is no currency exchange in runescape other than psuedo rares like crowns and such, and those cost too much to be significantly affected other than people selling off their lower rares(aka masks) to have more coins to buy weapons and such.

Probably a bad example, its just something that came up. The point is, these updates do matter past just the face value. Updates like these can really shake up the player base psychologically.

SOS_100x100.png

Help drive change Canada

Guys ... It doesn't really matter if alching brings more money in n days. What matters is this wasn't gradual, it was a surge. What matters even more? Confidence. You don't see anybody trading Zimbabwe currency.

Here's a little economics lesson for you... cause it's clear you really need one.

MV=PY

M=amount of currency

V=velocity of said currency (how quickly it's traded)

P=the price level (% increases in price = % of inflation)

Y=output in the economy (we can ignore this)

What increases inflation is the increase in the amount of gp into the game (which just happened -- billions and billions of gp being inserted into the game in one day), and the velocity traded of that money, which can be judged to be pretty high because of the surge and sheer size of the money introduced into the game.

So M ^ and V ^ which means that P ^ and there we have inflation.

Alching should be eliminated from the game.

[2010] Proud Member of Downfall

[2004-2005] Former Leader of The Unbreakables, Former Member of Corruption, Former Member of 'The' Clan

(...and Anarchy for a few weeks... shhh...)

As long as High Alchemy is still a spell in Runescape, don't expect Jagex to know jack-[cabbage] about economics. In all other MMOs, you are required to either sell to a vendor for a low price or actually make something that people want to buy, rather than press a button that dispenses cash and experience.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

blahvt.png

Rather disgusting.

He was obviously continuing his line of thought from his previous message "But I enjoy disowning them". You took that horrendously out of context.

As for farming, I didn't like it originally, but it's rather grown on me.

As for farming, I didn't like it originally, but it's rather grown on me.

Pun? :smile:

Okay, I think I might have a slight solution: Freeze the Grand Exchange value of Rock Climbing Boots.

If they can't fall, and they can't rise, and the value stays the same, which is significantly higher than the High Alchemy or selling amounts, those who have large amounts of them might use them as stable junk rather than liquidate them. They could become another currency in themselves, which is better than further destabilizing the "real" currency, Gold Pieces.

Of course, there are simpler ways. Anyway, what do you guys think?

2dgucz6.png

blahvt.png

Rather disgusting.

He was obviously continuing his line of thought from his previous message "But I enjoy disowning them". You took that horrendously out of context.

yeah like Jagex has never given out blackmarks for taking stuff horrendously out of context. :P

ASR_logo_white.png

wannarace.jpg

I'm not too sure about this, but decent game design companies have contracts which proctect the companies assets in case there is a breach like this and would propably end in minor jail time/ a nice fine. So to be honest, both of these things are illeagal, it's just a how seriously someone takes them. The fact that you don't care about the product you buy just shows how stupid you are.

just read this lmao

3 pound fifty a month? i spend more than that daily on my busfare to work, if my bus is slightly late one day i'l be irritated - then 20 mins will pass and i'l get over it

my bus being slightly late is a larger inconvenience to me than this rock climbing update has been

so i got over it

your post only shows that someone somewhere takes something too seriously

'Rock Hard' boss pure - 60/60 Attack | 99/99 Range | 1/1 Defence | 44/44 Prayer | 99/99 Strength | 99/99 Mage - level 79 combat EOC

## '07 Server ## "Best Runescape update ever: Removing 6 years of updates."

Rock_Hard.png

"Warning: If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all that claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think every thing you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told to want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned- Tyler"

I'm not too sure about this, but decent game design companies have contracts which proctect the companies assets in case there is a breach like this and would propably end in minor jail time/ a nice fine. So to be honest, both of these things are illeagal, it's just a how seriously someone takes them. The fact that you don't care about the product you buy just shows how stupid you are.

just read this lmao

3 pound fifty a month? i spend more than that daily on my busfare to work, if my bus is slightly late one day i'l be irritated - then 20 mins will pass and i'l get over it

my bus being slightly late is a larger inconvenience to me than this rock climbing update has been

so i got over it

your post only shows that someone somewhere takes something too seriously

You sure don't know how the world goes around. It's not about the cost, it's about the product you are getting. If he milk you bough from a store had expired, you'd want your money back, whether it cost 5 p or 5 pounds. The customer is the king, and this is not at all about taking things too seriously. To be honest, you seem to te the typical guy to walk away from clear injustice, getting yourself walked on, being counted on to rip you off. If i see someone getting beat up on the streed i'd rush to help them, i'd like to see who will help you?

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

You sure don't know how the world goes around. It's not about the cost, it's about the product you are getting. If he milk you bough from a store had expired, you'd want your money back, whether it cost 5 p or 5 pounds. The customer is the king, and this is not at all about taking things too seriously. To be honest, you seem to te the typical guy to walk away from clear injustice, getting yourself walked on, being counted on to rip you off. If i see someone getting beat up on the streed i'd rush to help them, i'd like to see who will help you?

heh, but you gotta pick your battles

some things are worth getting riled up over, and some arent

if the milk was expired, id want a refund. if there was a slight nick in the label obscuring the nutritional information - i'd deal with it

after a hard day dealing with a lot of [bleep]s, i couldnt care less about the price rise of a welfare pking item

when they took away pking in the wilderness i unsubscribed and quit for a few years in protest

they brought it back, along with whole world pvp - i came back to try it out

it was pretty fun

'the system works'

so what are you personally doing to fight this climbing boot injustice?

i challenge you now - 'xpx' - if this update is so concerning to you, so worth getting worked up over - vote with your feet and put your money where your mouth is

you wont, because ultimately this update is just a nick in the label and you are all talk, no action

not going to comment on the personal remarks, you're wrong, and they add no value to this discussion

'Rock Hard' boss pure - 60/60 Attack | 99/99 Range | 1/1 Defence | 44/44 Prayer | 99/99 Strength | 99/99 Mage - level 79 combat EOC

Rock_Hard.png

"Warning: If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all that claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think every thing you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told to want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned- Tyler"

Here's a little economics lesson for you... cause it's clear you really need one.

MV=PY

M=amount of currency

V=velocity of said currency (how quickly it's traded)

P=the price level (% increases in price = % of inflation)

Y=output in the economy (we can ignore this)

What increases inflation is the increase in the amount of gp into the game (which just happened -- billions and billions of gp being inserted into the game in one day), and the velocity traded of that money, which can be judged to be pretty high because of the surge and sheer size of the money introduced into the game.

So M ^ and V ^ which means that P ^ and there we have inflation.

I think you misunderstood me. I am not saying alching isn't a problem, I am merely saying that the billions of GP that came into the game cannot be compared(conceptual, not monetarily) to alching. Its like apples and oranges, sure they are both fruit, but totally different fruit.

SOS_100x100.png

Help drive change Canada

heh, but you gotta pick your battles

some things are worth getting riled up over, and some arent

if the milk was expired, id want a refund. if there was a slight nick in the label obscuring the nutritional information - i'd deal with it

after a hard day dealing with a lot of [bleep]s, i couldnt care less about the price rise of a welfare pking item

when they took away pking in the wilderness i unsubscribed and quit for a few years in protest

they brought it back, along with whole world pvp - i came back to try it out

it was pretty fun

'the system works'

so what are you personally doing to fight this climbing boot injustice?

i challenge you now - 'xpx' - if this update is so concerning to you, so worth getting worked up over - vote with your feet and put your money where your mouth is

you wont, because ultimately this update is just a nick in the label and you are all talk, no action

not going to comment on the personal remarks, you're wrong, and they add no value to this discussion

the thing about saying that you won't comment on something is that you are effectively commenting on it when you say that.

^irrelevant

Barrows: 9~2 V Brass,V Flail,2 Dh Plate,V Helm,V Skirt,T Legs,Malevolent Shield + DKing: 48~6 W Ring,13 A Ring,8 M Staff,9 S Ring,7 B Ring,3 Seercull
Dragon Drops: 500+~50+ Med,26 Axe,3 Chain,10+ Legs,10+ Spear,2 D2h,10+ L Half,49 Boots,2 DDs,10+ Lump,9 Claws,50+ Dagger,14 Visage,50+ Mace,4 Scimitar,7 Hasta,Baxe,50+ Long,30+ Royal,2 Kite,4 Ward,2 Plate,Staff,Hammer,Limbs, Mattock,Halberd
GWD: 156~4 S Staff,50+ Shard,9 B Tass,13 B Plate,5 B Boots,6 A Plate,11 S Sword,8 A Hilt,4 A Skirt,9 A Helm,S Hilt,3 B Hilt,B Glove,2 A Buckler,Z Ward,Z Garb,2 Z Boots,B Shield,B Helm

Corp: 3~Elysian,2 Sp Sh + Nex: 6~Torva Legs,Cere,P cowl,Z bow,2 T boots + GWD2: 9~2 Glaive,Wand,2 Crest,Blade,2 Essence,Core + Araxyte: 5~Web,3 Pheromone,Fang + Raids: 4~3 Codex,P Boots  + Trails: 2~Bob Shirt,Fortunate

Etc: 64~3 Sceptre,B Mask,16 Whip,2 Focus Sight,5 D Bow,7 SOL,Ragefire,2 Steadfast,Arma Staff,6 Rider Armor,5 Vine,2 Razorback,2 A Wand,Abby Orb,3 Blood Shard,6 Hydrix,Gland,Asc Xbow
[spoiler=Capes]Quest Cape Aquired 12-7-07 ~ Level 93 + + + Completionist Cape Aquired 5-22-15 ~ Level 138
Hitpoints Cape Aquired 9-21-09 ~ Level 131 + Magic Cape Aquired 9-24-09 + Attack Cape Aquired 3-5-10 ~ Level 135 + Summoning Cape Aquired 3-12-10

Strength Cape Aquired 6-1-11 ~ Level 137 + Fire Cape Aquired 6-23-11 + Defence Cape Aquired 7-5-11 + Ranged Cape Aquired 8-1-11 + Kiln Cape Aquired 2-26-12 ~ Level 138
Dungeoneering Cape Aquired 4-22-12 + Slayer Cape Aquired 6-25-14 ~ Level 200 + Herblore Cape Acquired 12-9-14 ~ Level 138 + Prayer Cape Acquired 12-20-14
Agility Cape Acquired 1-4-15 + Hunter Cape Acquired 1-30-15 + Construction Cape Acquired 1-31-15 + Crafting Cape Acquired 2-22-15 + Thieving Cape Acquired 3-18-15
Runecrafting Cape Acquired 4-14-15 + Mining Cape Acquired 4-19-15 + Fishing Cape Acquired 4-25-15 + Firemaking Cape Acquired 4-26-15 + Woodcutting Cape Acquired 4-26-15
Cooking Cape Acquired 4-26-15+ Smithing Cape Acquired 4-28-15 + Farming Cape Acquired 4-29-15 + Divination Cape Acquired 5-3-15 + Dungeoneering Mastery 5-4-15
Fletching Cape Acquired 5-4-15 + Max Cape Acquired 5-4-15 + Invention Cape Acquired 11-9-16 + Invention Mastery 5-16-19 + Archaeology Cape Acquired 10-30-20

the thing about saying that you won't comment on something is that you are effectively commenting on it when you say that.

^irrelevant

damn, you're good

Rock_Hard.png

I don't want to think myself so high and mighty to assume that all of you have been following my antics and the S**t-storm that followed because of it, but I was finally unbanned from the forums thanks to a friend who had a Jmod look into the legitimacy of my forum ban (which yes, I turned out to be forum banned for unjust reasons), and as such I was able to make a lengthy post on the RSOF regarding this update and the repercussions it had and the things I helped cause.

For anyone that is still interested, here it is.

here is the post