Rock climbing boots affecting RuneScape

Leoo

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These items are what I thought pkers would buy, and I was correct.

68664200.png

And so it begins...

yep, now you've got to grind even harder to get your ridiculously overpriced luxury item, or play the ge, or jsut luck luck out on a drop like most people

if you obtain your wealth by sheer grinding then you're doingitwrong, if you get rich from the ge or killing bosses/slayer then everything will slot itself into place for you

whats the big deal

So if you make your money by using insider knowledge given by a jagex employee, you are the real deal?

i think i could care less if someone else profited from a pretty silly but harmless update in my fantasy game

good on em for usin their biscuit, and big lols to the people getting outraged and screaming about insider trading - its just scape bro, it doesnt really matter

all things pass

'Rock Hard' boss pure - 60/60 Attack | 99/99 Range | 1/1 Defence | 44/44 Prayer | 99/99 Strength | 99/99 Mage - level 79 combat EOC

## '07 Server ## "Best Runescape update ever: Removing 6 years of updates."

Rock_Hard.png

"Warning: If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all that claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think every thing you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told to want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned- Tyler"

As most of us know, yesterday on June 24, 2010, Jagex updated all existing Climbing Boots into Rock Climbing boots which had the same bonuses as the former, but cost roughly 75k more.

As before the update, you are now able to buy both the no-stat regular climbing boots for 12gp from Tenzing the Sherpa, or buy the more expensive Rock Climbing boots for 75,000gp from Tenzing that have a Strength Bonus.

You are able to buy both, correct.

However, The statless climbing boots are untradeable (keep this in mind).

All the existing climbing boots before this updates were turned into Rock Climbing boots, with the same bonus, just a different name and price, that are TRADEABLE. Why did Jagex make a pay-off to everyone who collected the boots by increasing their price 75,000 coins? They could've released Rock Climbing boots as a completely SEPERATE item, instead of "upgrading" all existing regular climbing boots into rock climbing boots, as well as making regular climbing boots a statless and untradeable item.

This would mean that Rock Climbing boots could still be bought from the Sherpa for the same price of 75k, but be untradeable to other players, as well as UNALCHEABLE (so there would be no sudden billions of gp flowing into the economy that cause worries of inflation, through either trade OR alching). The regular boots would remain at 12gp while remaining tradeable and alchable, instead of being untradeable and unalchable.

Yes, you might be thinking, but no one would pay 75,000 coins for those boots, because there are other boots, similarily priced, that have the same strength bonus and much better defensive stats (such as Rune boots), HOWEVER, there would be no UNECCESSARY INTRODUCTION of excess coinage into the economy and prompting worries of inflation as such.

I believe we would all prefer no major inflation by making the new boots untradeable and unalcheable, with a little more demand for rune boots as a result, instead of having potential major inflation in the economy, ranters (debateable), and a major demand for rune boots as a result. For it's better to have a greater demand for rune boots as a result of this update, than say, a greater demand for every single consumable resource because there is excess coinage in the economy.

So, then, onto my question.

Why did Jagex feel the need to pay-off hoarders this way, bringing in unnecessary billions of coins into the economy, making many undeserving players millionaires overnight, rather than making the 75k boots untradeable and alchable, with the same stats as the (former) regular climbing boots? That seems very suspicous to me.

Considering the contradictions in Mod MMG's official explanation for this update, (implying that Jagex was changing the value of an item based on their stats, while at the same time outright saying it is NOT their intention to change the value of an item based on their stats), it seems to me it could possibly some kind of inside pay-off.

Maybe a few of Mod MMG's close real life friends who played RuneScape wanted a few billion because it was his birthday, let's say. I don't know.

I just find it very suspicous that Jagex decided to go with the solution that had a seemingly random payout to undeserving people. It's just...illogical at its best.

At worst, it's unfair, deceiving and manipulative, with major ill-effects on the economy, and some of the worst of all, undeserving hoarders get massive pay-offs and they got them because they were lucky. Did Jagex know that? Yeah, but did they care? No. Did Jagex consider the effects on the economy? No. Does Jagex know their own game? Very unlikely. (See Mod MMG's official explanation on the update. He says the street price for regular climbing boots reflected the current price of rock climbing boots. According to many source, climbing boots never approached above 10K street. Liar much?)

The logic in this update is just very suspicous. Mod MMG seems to be hiding something, at worst. At BEST, he REALLY does not know his own game: His numbers for the street prices of boots contradict accounts of people who traded them in PvP worlds for much lower prices than current.

The highest amount of boots that someone possessed, he cited, was 1.8K (there are sources that confirm 7K+ boots in an account's possession). It just sounds like an insider tip-off, a big pay out to some undeserving close relative or friend of MMG, while other lucky hoarders who stocked up on boots in between the time they were released and this update, got lucky and became multi millionaires, and Jagex did not care for the results.

Thoughts?

Completely agree. Sometimes I don't understand what's going through jagex's mind...

insanity has a new name MOD Mark

Well, to cut the long story short, the update was a disaster and what followed after it was unprofessional by Jagex.

Mod Emillee's post is trying to put a candy in a crying child's mouth, she is talking all rubbish which has no clear grounds.

One of the lines I liked best was," Realistically, these accounts have always had the potential to make that sort of cash from the boots (based on what we know players were trading for outside of the GE), we have just made it easier for them to do so."

Well I have the potential to make that sort of cash but I dont have the time for it, will the next update make it easier for me to make money in the future??

When a player is found bug abusing his account is banned and now that Jagex is power/ bug abusing shouldn't they come out and apologize for the mistake.

dontspamxh3.gif

insanity has a new name MOD Mark

Well, to cut the long story short, the update was a disaster and what followed after it was unprofessional by Jagex.

Mod Emillee's post is trying to put a candy in a crying child's mouth, she is talking all rubbish which has no clear grounds.

One of the lines I liked best was," Realistically, these accounts have always had the potential to make that sort of cash from the boots (based on what we know players were trading for outside of the GE), we have just made it easier for them to do so."

Well I have the potential to make that sort of cash but I dont have the time for it, will the next update make it easier for me to make money in the future??

When a player is found bug abusing his account is banned and now that Jagex is power/ bug abusing shouldn't they come out and apologize for the mistake.

Thats pretty funny, I must have read over that. By that logic people who were buying climbing boots to resell were making 22.5 to 30m a hour.

SOS_100x100.png

Help drive change Canada

I'm going to have to agree with Gidion on this.

Ya it caused inflation, ya some people got a little richer, and ya climbing boots won't be used as much, so what?

If all you care about is making more GP than everyone else, and this update makes you want to quit, then do it. If you find expensive items too expensive now, perhaps its time to look for cheaper alternatives? Nobody says you HAVE to slay in Bandos. If a game makes you stress out, then perhaps you should re-consider why you are playing the game in the first place?

I'm just tired of people always saying how the "game's economy" is always ruined. If GP entering the game was really a problem, Jagex would make alching x5 the XP and make it produce 1/5 the GP. This obviously isn't the case. I do not see people having to play a few weeks more to reach their goal as a problem.

PS. I only had 20 boots myself, but I have no issue with people trading in the hundreds they had.

Ya it caused inflation, ya some people got a little richer, and ya climbing boots won't be used as much, so what?

If all you care about is making more GP than everyone else, and this update makes you want to quit, then do it. If you find expensive items too expensive now, perhaps its time to look for cheaper alternatives? Nobody says you HAVE to slay in Bandos. If a game makes you stress out, then perhaps you should re-consider why you are playing the game in the first place?

I'm just tired of people always saying how the "game's economy" is always ruined. If GP entering the game was really a problem, Jagex would make alching x5 the XP and make it produce 1/5 the GP. This obviously isn't the case. I do not see people having to play a few weeks more to reach their goal as a problem.

PS. I only had 20 boots myself, but I have no issue with people trading in the hundreds they had.

aww :D

nobody EVER normally agrees with me! \o/

'Rock Hard' boss pure - 60/60 Attack | 99/99 Range | 1/1 Defence | 44/44 Prayer | 99/99 Strength | 99/99 Mage - level 79 combat EOC

Rock_Hard.png

"Warning: If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all that claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think every thing you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told to want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned- Tyler"

aww :D

nobody EVER normally agrees with me! \o/

It's the ATTITUDE of Jagex that pisses me off the most.

Jagex, seriously?

IMPORTANT: There's profanity, don't watch it if you're uncomfortable with it. But I'm sure most Tip.iters are mature enough for a little reduction in censorship.

Warning on video title

[hide]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYPLgSPshmE

And this? Kicking off players off Mod MMG's clan chat for merely mentioning a user's name?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al5TcADTTzA[/hide]

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

i think i could care less if someone else profited from a pretty silly but harmless update in my fantasy game

good on em for usin their biscuit, and big lols to the people getting outraged and screaming about insider trading - its just scape bro, it doesnt really matter

all things pass

I think I could care less if someone else gang ***** and knife shanked me IRL because everyone dies in the end so in life it really doesn't matter what you do

all things pass

So by the looks of it this update has garnished the most negative response to an update since 12/10. :ohnoes:

"We changed climbing Boots price to stop RWTing!" :mrgreen:

ya some people got a little richer, so what?

100m+ isnt little in my book. Its 100 hours of Runecrafting. 10 days if I runecraft 10 hours a day.

Some people got this without doing squat. When am I getting my complimentary 10 days of membership?

100m+ isnt little in my book. Its 100 hours of Runecrafting. 10 days if I runecraft 10 hours a day.

Some people got this without doing squat. When am I getting my complimentary 10 days of membership?

I know 100M is alot, but we have to assume Mod Em's number of 99% is right. If that's true only 1% had more than 50 boots. Perhaps a better example..

Say tomorrow a new sigil is released that is 500m. A team gets a drop, 5 man, 100m each coinshare split. Neither the boot update or Sigil update players knew about or could prepare for. Both cases players got lucky by being in the right place at the right time.

Whats the difference between the two? Why is one justified and one isn't? Both were intended to be in the game and both cases the lucky got rich.

I didn't get lucky, the same with 99% of RS, so I don't see why people are mad about it. Its not like 50% of RS got richer and 50% didn't.

People are mad because Jagex messed up a pretty easy fix to their game and in the process pourred once again more cash into an economy that's already plagued by inflation.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

I know 100M is alot, but we have to assume Mod Em's number of 99% is right. If that's true only 1% had more than 50 boots. Perhaps a better example..

Say tomorrow a new sigil is released that is 500m. A team gets a drop, 5 man, 100m each coinshare split. Neither the boot update or Sigil update players knew about or could prepare for. Both cases players got lucky by being in the right place at the right time.

Whats the difference between the two? Why is one justified and one isn't? Both were intended to be in the game and both cases the lucky got rich.

I didn't get lucky same as everyone else, the same with 99% of RS, so I don't see why people are mad about it. Its not like 50% of RS got richer and 50% didn't.

A new spirit shield sigil with a great effect? :thumbup:

A change to boots price when in the first place there wasn't much of a problem with its market? :thumbdown:

Seriously, you're either being sarcastic or silly. Can you tell the difference between an update intended to reward players who put in the effort (hunt the sigil) and one that just rewards the players (Put the sigil in my bank, but not yours)?

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

all things pass

I think I could care less if someone else gang ***** and knife shanked me IRL because everyone dies in the end so in life it really doesn't matter what you do

all things pass

wow, ridiculous parallel is ridiculous

very minor shift to rs balance of wealth is as great a concern to you as getting gangbanged and shanked irl?

priorities

Rock_Hard.png

all things pass

all things pass

very minor shift to rs balance of wealth is as great a concern to you as getting gangbanged and shanked irl?

priorities

wow, redundant redundancy is redundant

very major shift to rs balance of wealth and Jamflex betraying the trust of their players is as great a concern to me as something that "doesnt really matter"

and lol, when I read the word "priorities" I thought of Quick Attack. too much Pokemon for me tbh

all things pass

all things pass

priorities

very major shift to rs balance of wealth and Jamflex betraying the trust of their players is as great a concern to me as something that "doesnt really matter"

and lol, when I read the word "priorities" I thought of Quick Attack. too much Pokemon for me tbh

sexual abuse and murder are serious issues, so please dont make light of them m8

lol pokemon

Rock_Hard.png

all things pass

all things pass

priorities

sexual abuse and murder are serious issues, so please dont make light of them m8

lol pokemon

Unfair favouritism, betrayal of trust, blatant lies, and hypocrisy are pretty serious too

all things pass

all things pass

priorities

lol pokemon

Unfair favouritism, betrayal of trust, blatant lies, and hypocrisy are pretty serious too

scapes hella fun, but not to be taken too seriously bro

honestly, when it all boils down to a 'minor' [ok, debatable? but for my own gameplay, at the least] change on my online fantasy game, i dont consider those things 'serious'

if you do, then you do

i dont ;)

Rock_Hard.png

honestly, when it all boils down to a 'minor' [ok, debatable? but for my own gameplay, at the least] change on my online fantasy game, i dont consider those things 'serious'

if you do, then you do

i dont ;)

fair enough, but I'm kinda over it now tbh. Not the first stupid mistake we've seen from Jemflax, after all, and definitely won't be the last

I think Logdotzip put it best in his video with his "Will I be quitting? lol no"

RS is too addictive

Well, I guess paying for this month's membership to watch the whole saga live is worth it. About the same as watching a movie to me. :rolleyes: First the fire cape/strykewyrm, then dung skill, and now boots. Epic fail skill at level 120, probably on overloads too.

And I just logged into Mod MMG's clan chat and players are typing things like "logdotzip", "logdotzip....?", "logzip", that made me lol'd in real life. Are they treating it like some secret game cheat or what? :thumbsup: The autokick effect no longer worked though, does this count as a hidden update?

Zepheras.png

-F1775

Yet again, most of you are seriously overstating the number of people who have large amounts of climbing boots in their banks. For the most part, climbing boots weren't as common a PK'ing item as some people here seem to believe, generally relegated to low level pures, as most people used addy/rune/dragon boots whilst PK'ing. That guy who has 404K climbing boots is an anomaly. I can assure you that the avid PK'er probably has nowhere near that many, probably less then ten or so, if that, as very few people picked them up if they did happen to PK someone (They were about 20'ish gold from Tenzig, iirc).

I feel comfortable in saying that this will have no effect long-term on the Runescape economy. The only reason it'll have some effect short-term is because of people making a mountain out of the proverbial molehill.

I have no idea where your getting your facts but I'd say 80% (being conservative) of all edge pkers used climbers. Furthermore, because climbers were unbuyable on the GE with the price cap they had, people were forced to buy them from Tenzing. Now most pkers don't like hopping worlds and teleing to burthrope after every death- so they buy more than one pair at a time. I would assume 27 of them because Tenzing had a stock of 30? and they were so cheap (they would just fill up their inv.). So a good amount of people (the pkers) probably had 10+ pairs. I know I had 30 in my bank.

Soldin_911.png