Rock climbing boots affecting RuneScape

Leoo

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This update just proves that Jagex doesn't know how to run an economy.

It also proves that Runescape's audience will go up and arms and even quit over a pair of boots.

No one gives a flying cow dung about the boots, people care about the implications of the update.

At this point I just wish they deleted the boots, would have fixed the problem just fine without screwing everything up.

SOS_100x100.png

Help drive change Canada

In the post by Mod Emilee that 12pure34 quoted here, Emilee noted that they wanted to raise the intrinsic value of boots so that other boots would be more appealing (ie, make climbing boots protect over other items, so you actually have to weigh the benefits vs risk). That too is all well and dandy, even the fact that the items kept on death is based on store(alch) values, I understand that.

What I still don't understand is why they didn't make the boots unalchable and unable to be sold back to a store. The flags are there for other items in existence, so it can't be that difficult to flag the boots in a similar manner, and this would have accomplished all their goals without leaving some people to have potential millions (or more) overnight.

lizzenkov.png

Read the mod emilee piece(of somthing i can't say) and well...

Firstly, it isn't only about the money that was produced, but that it was unevenly distributed between everyone who plays this game. I can only guess that i was in the top 0.5% with my 143 boots but it really doesn't reconcile for the fact that some people got rich overnight for doing nothing at all.

Secondly, the way our minds work, everyone is expected to overestimate this change to produce a small chaos for the next weeks to come in expencive items. This should have been avoided at all cost.

Thirdly, it's not only about giving free money away to lucky people, there was certainly some inside knowledge given about this more than fishy update. I'm not sure about jagex company rules, but it'd be baffling if noone got fired for this.

As for mod emilee talking about the alch price, is she stupid or just clueless? These boots are a poor substitute for rune boots and ould only be used for welfare(+1 bh) world pking, BUT(and i can't stress this BUT enough) they CAN'T [bleep]ing be used there anymore. CAN'T. They proctect over everything that you would normally use on those servers.....

All in all, all jagex has publicly stated about this update is a major blow for their trustworthiness. major blow.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

Meh, the update itself won't do anything. As Mark said, only 50 people or so had an extraordinary amount of boots. If that's the case, then those paper billionaires are going to have a problem liquidating those boots (alch over 400k boots?). Basically this means that 50 or so rares will be bought and that's the end of that. The rest of us who may have gotten a few mil or so are going to be with the rest of the crowd, which will panic thinking this update is going to do anything.

When they panic (or think they're being smart), they're going to buy up a bunch of supplies or equipment and use it or sit on it for a while thinking they're getting a good deal. That is what's going to drive prices up; stupidity and misinformation yet again. Jagex didn't really do anything with this update; the players however, will be the ones to screw things up. :unsure:

Meh, the update itself won't do anything. As Mark said, only 50 people or so had an extraordinary amount of boots. If that's the case, then those paper billionaires are going to have a problem liquidating those boots (alch over 400k boots?). Basically this means that 50 or so rares will be bought and that's the end of that. The rest of us who may have gotten a few mil or so are going to be with the rest of the crowd, which will panic thinking this update is going to do anything.

When they panic (or think they're being smart), they're going to buy up a bunch of supplies or equipment and use it or sit on it for a while thinking they're getting a good deal. That is what's going to drive prices up; stupidity and misinformation yet again. Jagex didn't really do anything with this update; the players however, will be the ones to screw things up. :unsure:

Only 1% made "a few mil".

Extraordinary amount is pretty ambiguous, do you mean over 1000? or 100k?

SOS_100x100.png

Help drive change Canada

Only 1% made "a few mil".

Extraordinary amount is pretty ambiguous, do you mean over 1000? or 100k?

Jagex hasn't told us, so one can only guess, but even if they only made a few hundred mil, we're talking about welfare PKers here. So basically, the already broken rare market is going to get a few more idiots running around with Santa hats. The rest of the people who may have only made a few hundred k or a few mil are most likely going to jump on the bandwagon and point at those Santa hats as the reason behind them hoarding supplies and driving the price up.

Jagex hasn't told us, so one can only guess, but even if they only made a few hundred mil, we're talking about welfare PKers here. So basically, the already broken rare market is going to get a few more idiots running around with Santa hats. The rest of the people who may have only made a few hundred k or a few mil are most likely going to jump on the bandwagon and point at those Santa hats as the reason behind them hoarding supplies and driving the price up.

Uhhh yes, Jagex did tell us. They said themselves only 1% had 50 or more.

SOS_100x100.png

Help drive change Canada

Uhhh yes, Jagex did tell us. They said themselves only 1% had 50 or more.

Then my argument still stands. We're going to sit here and point at that 1% of all climbing boot owners while we buy up everything in site.

Then my argument still stands. We're going to sit here and point at that 1% of all climbing boot owners while we buy up everything in site.

So its alright some players get an advantage because they are minority? Seems real fair here guys.

SOS_100x100.png

Help drive change Canada

So its alright some players get an advantage because they are minority? Seems real fair here guys.

Life isn't fair. Whining about that isn't going to get us anywhere. And even if you aren't whining then you're still giving others a chance to whine.

Updated RSOF post

I'm guessing most people on the RSOF are going to read that and then walk around it to whine about money as usual. :cry:

Crikey, I don't pay attention for a day or two and the world goes mad. What's happened here? Jagex have raised the price of existing (combat statted) climbing boots by a few orders of magnitude and some lucky blighters have hoarded them so have recieved a pay day. Other people are butthurt because they didn't hoard this item. Is that about it?

Is this perhaps the usual tempest in a teacup?

Louis_Redux.png

All skills 70+ again 16/06/2010

Crikey, I don't pay attention for a day or two and the world goes mad. What's happened here? Jagex have raised the price of existing (combat statted) climbing boots by a few orders of magnitude and some lucky blighters have hoarded them so have recieved a pay day. Other people are butthurt because they didn't hoard this item. Is that about it?

I believe many are not angry about them not having boots but about the effect what this gp created from thin air will cause to already messed up economy
Sephy.png

+1

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

Life isn't fair. Whining about that isn't going to get us anywhere. And even if you aren't whining then you're still giving others a chance to whine.

Updated RSOF post

I'm guessing most people on the RSOF are going to read that and then walk around it to whine about money as usual. :cry:

Good thing RS isn't life.

Whatever man, I honestly don't really care about some random noobs getting 2m. I care about the people who had a bucket load. I care about the allegations of update leaking. I care about how overnight, at best 80 billion GP entered the game. I care about how their reasoning to the update makes no sense. I care about how the reason climbing boots was broken in the first place was because the GE is flawed. I care about how Jagex upright said they aren't going to do squat. I care about Jagex lying and trying to spin things in their favour. Funny how MMH first says he the max he has seen is like 1.4k or something then he later says people have 4k in the GE. I care about how Jagex always wanted to keep things fair, how every update before this stuff was done to make sure none of this crap happened.

I am not whining, I am voicing my opinion on what I believe to be a very distasteful update. Do you hear me going "wwwwwwtffffffff jagex plx I want 50m GP TOO NOW" or "stuuuuupid jagex ROLLBACK NOW" and spamming it everywhere? I pay for this game, I largely didn't mind all the new content they brought in even though I have been asking for high level content forever. But this is stupid.

I never cared when summoning came out, and I didn't have 90k swamp lizards. I didn't care when turmoil came out and people had been hoarding dragon bones for half a year. This is NOT about me missing out on 500m. I just want to make that clear.

When was the last time you said "Oh, theres only 50 million mosquitoes, so adding another 5 million overnight won't make a difference"?

SOS_100x100.png

Help drive change Canada

Good thing RS isn't life.

If rs was life some people would go to jail for insider-trading over this.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

12pure. You might want to get the money you spent on your economics degree back, because her post made a hell of a lot more sense.

Mostly considering that the runescape economy does not fit any real economic model, is in no way stable like a game such as EVE, or the fact that Jagex knows their game economy best.

Her point? The amount of money made due to this is a drop in the ocean. 76king more than likely produces more money than this on a daily basis and you guys love that, don't you? Coin drops from monsters across all worlds more than likely surpass this threefold. High alching? You've left this cashflow behind.

People were using climbing boots as a cheap way to get decent protection without paying for it. Jagex fixed that. A minority of people profited (and really, in one day of this "leak" nobody is going to accrue more than a few hundred of these boots, especially when "a whole bunch" of people are world hopping trying to do the same.

Government pays for my degree ;) as for Mod Emilee's post, it hardly made more sense. They used reasons that are used by people to fool the low-edicated ones. Worst argument was of course was:

To say that this update provokes inflation is like saying that taking home a bucket of sand from the beach will make it disappear. The amount of GP that enter and leave the game on a daily basis is about 8 to 10 times as high as the amount that entered the games economy yesterday by increasing the value of the climbing boots. Basically, the same amount of money per person could be made by chopping yew logs for a couple of hours and then alching the bows made - a relatively small one-off addition to the coins going through the game.

This post basically states that if we really want people, we can cause mass inflation. Yes, we know that. But the thing is, you, as game designer, want a stable economy. If you insert an update like the Grand Exchange which acts as a complete copy of the Stock Market, then yes, you want the same balanced situation as on the stock market.

Her point? The amount of money made due to this is a drop in the ocean. 76king more than likely produces more money than this on a daily basis and you guys love that, don't you? Coin drops from monsters across all worlds more than likely surpass this threefold. High alching? You've left this cashflow behind.

I know there comes a lot of money in the economy, but thing is, there is a balance! Money comes in, money goes out on a daily base. This is normal, this is called NORMAL inflation. What happened here was a pretty massive amount of money that went to certain groups. 44% of all members got 45k - 2.25m for free. 1% of the members got 2.25m+ for free. There is nothing normal about this inflation and can simply not be justified. What happened here, a minority got a huge boost. All trust and stability that was build over the past months since the EXP BONUS weekend has yet again been removed. This update occurred because the GE wasn't the solution to solve THIS problem. Instead of fixing the GE, they ''fixed'' this single problem. What happens now is a very unstable market. A huge inflation correction in place and panic.

I do believe Jagex knows more about their economy then I do, but anyone with any knowledge about economy knows this should never have been done. The trust and stability was worth way more then this fix. They should have found other solutions. Many of which already have been shown by others in this post alone. Other then trust, lots of people got rich over a single update, having done nothing. This creates an image of unfairness towards the other 99% many of whom actually grind things they enjoy less, so they can do the things they enjoy most!

On a last note, you state they get cheap protection without paying for it. Yes, that is the whole thing about it. They want that slot filled, but don't want a high-priced item there... Duhh That is what the quest reward is for! Yet another quest reward nerfed basically. Don't think that if the cheapest alternative would be 100k, that people will actually be using it a lot!

I'll thank the government for paying my Degree, it has done me more good then it has done you ;)

34eyfbd.jpg9h43sp.jpg16m28ty.jpg

I believe many are not angry about them not having boots but about the effect what this gp created from thin air will cause to already messed up economy

Which messed up economy is that? The one where I can pretty much buy anything I want from the g.e. in minutes if not seconds (as long as I can afford it) ? Perhaps it's the one which my little character on the screen has to train to get an item or level I want it to have instead of being handed it on a platter. No wait, it's the messed up economy in which this tiny change will have an ultimately (and possibly even immediately) tiny effect (if Jagex's numbers are to be believed and I have no reason to doubt them, nor has anyone provided a decent reason to doubt them). Ahhhh yes it's all clear now. Well why didn't you say so.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but there are many players out there (no idea of actual numbers, but in my experience, it's all the ones I encounter. I realise anecdote is not the singular of data by the way) for whom this is just a non issue. It has a negligible to zero effect on our game. It seems to me the only people this will effect are people trying to mass huge fortunes and those lucky few who have hoarded a boot or two. Even those effects are likely to be short term. If I were a betting man, and fortunately I am, I would bet that this is representative of the "silent majority" of players, just getting on with their game.

Until someone shows me some concrete numbers, and let's be blunt Jagex are the only people with those numbers, then this remains yet another whinefest over five eights of sod all. And before someone prints off the g.e., correlation does not prove causation. I haven't even had a pair of climbing boots in my bank for over a year btw, so I missed the boat on this one too.

As for update leaking: evidence or stfu. This I'd have to see. I'd also suspect, based on what is known about jagex's ability to check trades, that they could easily find in prior to the update someone bought a ton of climbing boots. That person, and the person who leaked to them, could then be dealt with. I'm not having a go at you personally RunescapeVII, I don't even know you! And I realise you didn't bring up all these points but people are treating rumours, faked pics, and opinions as if they were fact and getting riled about them It's ludicrous. Calm down, dear. It's only an MMPORG.

Louis_Redux.png

All skills 70+ again 16/06/2010