Rock climbing boots affecting RuneScape

Leoo

Terrible update tbh. Raising it to 75k. Ok not bad, but making the alch prices more than dboots. Wtf? I have 12 there's 600k for doing nothing. Congrats to the people with a ton.

61,358th to 99 range on May 23rd, 2010.

100,927th to 99 def on February 13th, 2011.

pigeons.png

Relics.png

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes I wonder why I'm not playing Wow or Cod4

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

Sometimes I wonder why I'm not playing Wow or Cod4

I think I echo many people's frustrations that jagex changes things like this and then says it's not a big deal.

Especially when the bulk of players point out that the change was unneeded.

They could have repriced the climbing boots at 5k and sold noted boots if there really was a shortage.

Practical simple solutions are the best. I have no idea why jagex like to mess things up so much.

Its obviously a conspiracy theory. Double xp weekends + pvp statuettes + this = all skills to level 120 cap. Theres gotta be more money in the economy for everyone to afford 104m herblore and prayer xp obviously.

Low_C.png

I'm not looking at the numbers, but I doubt that's much next to the profits from woodcutting, mining, monster drops, farming, and so on. Over the past week, Runescape averaged right around 115.8k players at any given time. Even if only half of these brought new gold into the game, that's almost 58k players. These players bringing in even 100k gp per hour is 138.98 billion gp per day. 100k isn't much, A pair of dragon boots covers five hours of nothing, a whip drop covers 39, an Armadyl hilt is good for 894 hours (a little over 37 days), and even a Bandos hilt is good for almost ten straight days. Smelting 600 steel bars, mining 400 iron ore, cutting 200 yew logs, cutting 70 magic logs, or catching 92 sharks will do. Obviously I'm not accounting for costs associated with the monster drops, but they can more than be made up for in the time between major drops. Also not considered at this point are any goldsinks (prayer, processing an item into something less valuable, items lost to death, etc) I think this is a conservative estimate, and it is just an estimate, but "billions that come flooding" look like a drop in the bucket over any considerable length of time next to this.

Prayer is not a money sink. All money paid for bones goes to players. Only burned marrentill and used familiars actually cause gp to leave the economy. Construction is a money sink, and related to prayer, but that gilded altar is a one-time affair.

Anyways, I hate this, didn't make that much off my one pair of boots. Hope Jagex uses the 'a zero too many' excuse and sets the price at 7.5k. Although, they could just bring the RC glitch back, that'd be good.

I do hope more people will sell than alch, at least whilst the GE price is still high, it's a sensible thing to try. Could limit damage... if someone buys.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Yet again, most of you are seriously overstating the number of people who have large amounts of climbing boots in their banks. For the most part, climbing boots weren't as common a PK'ing item as some people here seem to believe, generally relegated to low level pures, as most people used addy/rune/dragon boots whilst PK'ing. That guy who has 404K climbing boots is an anomaly. I can assure you that the avid PK'er probably has nowhere near that many, probably less then ten or so, if that, as very few people picked them up if they did happen to PK someone (They were about 20'ish gold from Tenzig, iirc).

I feel comfortable in saying that this will have no effect long-term on the Runescape economy. The only reason it'll have some effect short-term is because of people making a mountain out of the proverbial molehill.

The 404k was a fake, how are people believing that?

C1Geq.png

Yet again, most of you are seriously overstating the number of people who have large amounts of climbing boots in their banks. For the most part, climbing boots weren't as common a PK'ing item as some people here seem to believe, generally relegated to low level pures, as most people used addy/rune/dragon boots whilst PK'ing. That guy who has 404K climbing boots is an anomaly. I can assure you that the avid PK'er probably has nowhere near that many, probably less then ten or so, if that, as very few people picked them up if they did happen to PK someone (They were about 20'ish gold from Tenzig, iirc).

I feel comfortable in saying that this will have no effect long-term on the Runescape economy. The only reason it'll have some effect short-term is because of people making a mountain out of the proverbial molehill.

Quoted for truth.

http://img443.imageshack.us/i/mark2r.png/

"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

-- Jack Handey

Cook_Me_Plox.png

lol, there equal in strength bonus to rune and they cost 212 gp, who would have used rune? nobody. They also beat dragon if you dont want to hybrid with alot of switches.

not to mention that for about a week, climbing boots took the place of mint cakes, right after christmas. They were swiftly changed to werg unf, but this still may have caused people to sit there and buy them from the guy. Who things the Neitz is gonna be next? Or maybe the Dragon Dagger? I've sold a few of both on pvp worlds for 100k or more.

pere_grin.png

I was merely going off of what people were saying. If it's true that it's a fake, then that just highlights my point. People are making this a bigger deal then it really is, as few people have that many boots. I only had two pair, and I'm not even sure how I got those.

You assumed I meant shop as in shop sell value. I also meant the price the shop used to sell climbers for.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Quoted for truth.

Its hard to believe that man. I am inclined to believe that there is no one with over 300k. It doesnt matter. Maybe none over 200k even. However it is certainly true that there are people with more than 2k, its a joke to think otherwise in this game, people collect stuff like that and it had a practical use. 1,800 is such a low number and it isnt 'extreme' its just low tbh. 50k+ is perhaps extreme. Anything less is a collection that people do just like cabbages.

I am inclined to believe that there is alot more than 50 people with more than 2k of them too lol. Infact by what he has been saying. I am preeeetty certain there are more than 50 people with more than 50 lol. (Into the millions gp.) So its hard to believe him when he either a) hasnt actually bothered to check the facts or B ) lying for some reason or c) is an not very intelligent to see the obvious.

He just hasnt bothered checking the facts again to make a statement about it being so low.

I'm going to spend the rest of my money on worthless cheap junk items in hope of them rising 30,000 percent overnight.

My bank will smell of cabbage, all my food will be black and inedible, and it will be quite difficult to find any hay in my needlestack.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

or c) is an not very intelligent to see the obvious.

What..?

Mod mark has no reason to lie about this, and i'm sure that jagex can see how many players have more than 2k boots. The boots were so pointless to obtain i'm sure not many people have more than 1.8k like mod mark said. Think about it, getting 10k+ climbing boots would take an absolute age to get and they were never very good profit. Also, since the shop update you only had 100 per day or whatever. Nobody has more than 5k or even 1.8k.

C1Geq.png

I feel like people are overstating the value of a billion coins. It's really not much at all, in the scheme of things. Even, say, 100 billion won't cause a noticeable effect in the economy.

"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

-- Jack Handey

Cook_Me_Plox.png

Its hard to believe that man.

He was asking around on forums to explicitly name people who had alot of climbing boots so he could check their individual accounts.

Apparently that is the only way they can tell how many climbing boots there are ingame.

I asked if he could check how many were ready to be sold in GE. He responded the most one guy was selling in GE was 3.6k.

This happend 2 hours after the update.

- most people were expecting a rollback and let their climbing boots in their bank

- others were panicing and began to alch them

- others sold to the shop for lesser profit

- most people weren't on at that time to renew their offers

I wondered why he only named the maximum one person had in GE instead of giving a total number of climbing boots in GE.

-> my guess is that must have been a huuuuuuuge number.

Its hard to believe that man.

He was asking around on forums to explicitly name people who had alot of climbing boots so he could check their individual accounts.

Apparently that is the only way they can tell how many climbing boots there are ingame.

I asked if he could check how many were ready to be sold in GE. He responded the most one guy was selling in GE was 3.6k.

This happend 2 hours after the update.

- most people were expecting a rollback and let their climbing boots in their bank

- others were panicing and began to alch them

- others sold to the shop for lesser profit

- most people weren't on at that time to renew their offers

I wondered why he only named the maximum one person had in GE instead of giving a total number of climbing boots in GE.

-> my guess is that must have been a huuuuuuuge number.

I have multiple friends who have 10k+ climbers and because they don't sell in the GE they've just been alching them for 45k each. Hell why not.. I alched 40 of them for 1.8m lmao

I feel like people are overstating the value of a billion coins. It's really not much at all, in the scheme of things. Even, say, 100 billion won't cause a noticeable effect in the economy.

Honestly, 200 ancient stauettes is one billion coins entering the game. Factor in the other PVP relic drops, and the vast amount of people constantly in PVP and Bounty Hunter worlds, it takes no time at all to generate 1bil from those drops alone. This climbing boot incident is a one time deal, while the PVP drops are constantly bringing money into the game.

I'm not defending the idea of this climbing boot catastrophe, I'm just saying the money generated is not as bad as you think. However the very idea that a near worthless item becomes worth thousands more overnight really irks me. It's like some kind of [bleep]ed up lottery; see who can collect the most of the right item with no idea what'll happen next.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

What..?

Mod mark has no reason to lie about this, and i'm sure that jagex can see how many players have more than 2k boots. The boots were so pointless to obtain i'm sure not many people have more than 1.8k like mod mark said. Think about it, getting 10k+ climbing boots would take an absolute age to get and they were never very good profit. Also, since the shop update you only had 100 per day or whatever. Nobody has more than 5k or even 1.8k.

What..?

1) He is the man in charge covering up after a mess has been made. He has all the reason in the world to lie about such things. (BP anyone?)

2) If you're that sure about that why did he ask explicitly to name people who had alot of climbing boots. (like anyone would name themselves or a friend)

Either he is lying or you're wrong.

3) Yes it would take ages to collect that many boots. But there are bots who collect this kind of stuff for you. Just like there are bots buying neitiznots. When people used these bots, some must have had tons.

Quoted for truth.

Hey, isn't that the guy who thinks these boots were sold for 75k each before the update? He doesn't have to lie, he is just clueless. The fact that he had to personally respond to all this drama only shows the seriousness of the problem in hand.

Also, these boots were sold 2 gp each for 6 years and were the best boots in game before slayer.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

So there is no real overview of the amount of climbing boots in the game? I'd expect Jagex to know, having an direct interface to the bank contents data to query the extreme cases and inspect.

Legion.gif

Achieved quest (07/08/2009), woodcutting (28/06/2010), attack (21/07/2010), strength + constitution (07/08/2010), defence (26/09/2010), summoning (13/01/2011), herblore (03/03/2011), cook (31/08/2012), firemaking (01/09/2012), magic (08/09/2012), prayer (16/09/2012) and ranged (29/10/2012) capes.

So there is no real overview of the amount of climbing boots in the game? I'd expect Jagex to know, having an direct interface to the bank contents data to query the extreme cases and inspect.

If this was the case, I see no reason why Mod Mark H was on forums asking to name players so he could investigate their account.

These investigations would according to him be taken into account when they decided on a rollback or not. (this was prior to the decision not to rollback)

That they didn't investigate this kind off stuff and the impact it would give beforehand shocks me...

We can only estimate the numbers.

2 million members playing on and off? maybe 5 pair of climbing boots at average? 10 million climbing boots x 45.000 = 450 billion? :huh:

Us British are terrible at admitting when we are wrong. See Tony Hayward.

I bet there are accounts out there with more than 1.8k boots on. Jagex / the utter stupid git who thought of this price-change just won't accept that they're wrong.

asrhasrh.jpg