Rock climbing boots affecting RuneScape

Leoo

At first when I read about the changes I was angry, now after watching Logdotzip's video I am furious about this. I demand that punishment happen to both kevsredsox and his cousin that works at Jagex, mainly to his cousin!

70+ all skills. 17/24 skills 75+

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At first when I read about the changes I was angry, now after watching Logdotzip's video I am furious about this. I demand that punishment happen to both kevsredsox and his cousin that works at Jagex, mainly to his cousin!

You fell in the same trap as I did, apparently it was a fake.

Or an attempt to coverup the truth afterwards.

Either way, it's fishy. :razz:

because Jagex would try to cover it up if it's fake

Not the first time someone working for Jagex leaks infromation to people they know. I remember one Finnish J-Mod telling his clan mates(his other accounts that is) at least something about the extreme potion update(the 1st one) and the curse prayer update, or just a lot of his clan mates happened to buy herbs before the extreme update with hundreds of millions of GP and D bones before curses came out. But yeah, it sucks how they can favor some players and basically screw with the legit players that get their money the hard way.

Reiskade.png

~Council of Northern Gods~

The worst part of this whole bloody situation, which everyone is not emphasising enough, is that free cash is not going to legit players, those who PK professionally (95 Prayer and 96 Herblore), but wanna-be, whiny, inexperienced. underserving garbage pures, who safes and piles with rune scimitar and climbing boots. These vermin of Runescape are getting 50m pumped into their bank for doing absolutely nothing but saying 'GFLELELEL l0l0l0l luzlzilz I PKED J00 GOOD' and 'L0L09L0L I BEAT LVL 109 L0LOLOM U SUCKS7UCKLSCU' and PK so badly you sometimes question why PVP even exists in this god forsaken game. Now every pure who has a good stock of those climbing boots will be able to afford claws, decent herblore/prayer levels and are off to spec us legit players out of our dear lives. Run, comrades, run before our asses get [bleep]scratched.

rofl you implyed you can use extremes in pvp. Your obvoiously 'legit.' And you realise most high levels who welfare (rune edge fights, welfare briding) use climbing boots also.

I do admit I forgot that extremes cannot be used in PVP. And I am legit (definitely much more than stupid pures), but I don't PK. And if high levels wish to welfare, they should probably get rune boots. Those are exceedingly cheap and offer much better bonuses than a pair of silly climbing boots.

basically your just trolling the pure community while having no knowledge of pvp. Mature. and 212 gp<<<<<<<87k gp and they offer similar bonuses. And anyone who hybrids in rune boots will get laughed at terribly.

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

because Jagex would try to cover it up if it's fake

Wether it is true or fake, both are hurting Jagex' *ahem* good reputation.

a bit of a rant here, sorry

for now I'm just going to give Jagex benefit of the doubt, but even if they WEREN'T betraying the trust of their players, the update by itself is absurd and I hate how some players are saying "why do you care, it's just some boots, it won't affect you" and things like that... ridiculous because I do occasionally use the Grand Exchange and hyperinflation WILL affect me, especially since I am fairly low levelled and cannot access high level methods of money-making, such as GDKs or GWD. Even high levels should be more than a bit annoyed at the fact that their hard-earned wealth means very little now compared to all the instant millionaires created with this update.

also Mod Mark's BLATANT LIES on the RSOF sticky about the update being "thoroughly researched" or something. WTF?! Nobody EVER paid 75k for a pair of climbers. 10k at the most tbh. all this just to make the situation look less severe than it really is AND NO ROLLBACK ARGH RAGE

in the future, Game Design students will study JaGEx in the "what not to do" case study

1. I didn't know we all played this game in order to get huge gold piles. I also didn't know that knowing that other people have huge gold piles will make people unhappy.

2. If all the speculation is true there should already be effects visible in the runescape economy. So are there any effect visible? Why listen to opinion if we could measure real effects. Is the economy actually going berserk right now? And if there is a reaction in the runescape economy is it because of psychological effects or because of an extreme amount of GP entering the economy?

3. The rise of the price of climbing boots is good news for slayers. Addy and rune boots will actually have some real value now. Especially since these items will not protect over stuff that is actually more valuable, in contrast to climbing boots.

---

All this gut reaction cabbage is annoying me terribly. I logged on today on runescape. Did a farming run. Nothing changed. Same amount of satisfaction as ever. Checked my bank. I had one pair of climbing boots and thought: nice. And then logged off because I have better things to do right now.

spuriousmonk.png

spuriousmonk.png

1. I didn't know we all played this game in order to get huge gold piles. I also didn't know that knowing that other people have huge gold piles will make people unhappy.

You have to realize that for many people, the whole idea of the game revolves around building competition with other players. Yes, people should be unhappy because putting aside rumours, there should be no reason that warranted the price of climbing boots to be that high. Certain individuals (could be one, two, or hundreds) have most likely amassed wealth that do not accurately reflect the actual price of the climbing boots, contrary to Jagex's view. Quid Pro Quo - something for something.. which in this case is more like something for copious amounts of wealth that should never have been <_<

2. If all the speculation is true there should already be effects visible in the runescape economy. So are there any effect visible? Why listen to opinion if we could measure real effects. Is the economy actually going berserk right now? And if there is a reaction in the runescape economy is it because of psychological effects or because of an extreme amount of GP entering the economy?

The reality is that yes, odds are items are going to rise slightly, especially those high end items (bandos, etcetera) - most likely due to paranoia and people taking advantage of the situation at hand. They're going to be the target of those who've amassed newfound wealth. Will it have a huge detrimental effect on the economy as whole? Probably not. Is it an effect that should have never happened? Definitely.

3. The rise of the price of climbing boots is good news for slayers. Addy and rune boots will actually have some real value now. Especially since these items will not protect over stuff that is actually more valuable, in contrast to climbing boots.

Good news for slayers, bad news for others.

All this gut reaction cabbage is annoying me terribly. I logged on today on runescape. Did a farming run. Nothing changed. Same amount of satisfaction as ever. Checked my bank. I had one pair of climbing boots and thought: nice. And then logged off because I have better things to do right now.

That's probably because doing a farming run itself has nothing to do with the situation at hand :rolleyes:

cgknightofroundsorigina.jpg

99 Hits, Attack, Strength, Defence, Mage, Summoning, Slayer, Ranged, 96/99 Prayer

---

^ What is there not to understand?

This to me falls in the category of bug abuse, because overnight a few people are now extremely rich, this is not fair.

This is not a gut reaction, loyal long-term players are mad about this.

I honestly wonder if mod mark made this change to wake up jagex.

1. The fact that this update was okayed by jagex staff.

2. The fact that the alch values for these boots are out of porportion compared to even dragon boots!

3. The fact that there was no rollback even given the huge player outcry.

Maybe mod mark is quitting and doesn't care and this is his farewell.

Even the post on RSOF that he made doesn't exactly sound like him.

Just when I thought the game could not get worse they do this.

Also those boots should have been max 1k-5k. They should have allowed a natural price increase on the GE.

I saw the videos... What else did you do?

I made a post on the forum expressing my discontent with the update, broke no rules in doing such, and then uploaded a youtube video, broke no youtube rules, but apparently broke a lot of runescape rules. too bad that shouldnt matter, considering it was on youtube, and not runescape's website.

they then forum banned me without just cause, and deleted any posts i made within the last 24 hours

i also got a pm from a jmod in game (right as i was logging out, didnt catch the name) saying something along the lines of "what you said in that video is untrue, and i would advise against you not making another video, or action can be taken". so of course, i made a second video lol.

now going in mod mark or mod mmg's cc and saying my name gets you kicked, and mentioning my name on RSOF gets you forum banned (someone got a one year ban for saying my name)... my name is spammed everywhere on riot worlds, calling me savior, martyr, legend, hero, president, god (lol'd at them all), and you can usually find at least one thread about me in the recent updates forum, the rants forum, or the high level forum.

all because jagex can't be honest with us... maybe if the majority of us stopped let them stomp all over us, this wouldnt happen.

Ok...there HAS to be something that can be done about this....there is no way Jagex should be allowed to take action against you for this, just because other players say your name over and over. If Jagex banned accounts for this, why haven't accounts like Zezima or Gertjaars(don't know his new name) been banned yet?

I was also unaware that making YT videos showing distaste towards Jagex were against rules either, especially considering you can find videos like that EVERYWHERE!!!!

:shame: :shame: :shame: :shame: :shame: :shame: :shame: :shame: :shame:

^ To Jagex.

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

---

^ What is there not to understand?

This to me falls in the category of bug abuse, because overnight a few people are now extremely rich, this is not fair.

This is not a gut reaction, loyal long-term players are mad about this.

I honestly wonder if mod mark made this change to wake up jagex.

1. The fact that this update was okayed by jagex staff.

2. The fact that the alch values for these boots are out of porportion compared to even dragon boots!

3. The fact that there was no rollback even given the huge player outcry.

Maybe mod mark is quitting and doesn't care and this is his farewell.

Even the post on RSOF that he made doesn't exactly sound like him.

Just when I thought the game could not get worse they do this.

Also those boots should have been max 1k-5k. They should have allowed a natural price increase on the GE.

this is nothing. a few weeks ago i encountered the bug that the stores were replenished almost immediately. That meant unlimited broad bolts for instance.

I could have made a billion easily. And so for everybody else who encountered the bug. Nobody rioted about this however. In fact, nobody even mentioned it.

I reported the bug. A mod came online an hour later and checked it out. At that time the stores were still replenished at an unbelievable rate.

Click buy 500 broad bolts. Click 500 broad bolts. etc. Every click you added 90gp x 500. Which is actually almost the same as the value of climbing boots.

Next GE update broad bolts did go down and they stayed down for a while. I wonder why.

Yet, no riot. Plenty of people made a fortune out of this 'opportunity'. It wasn't fair either because only some worlds were affected. And you only found out if you actually tried buying something.

So what? It's a game.

I discovered that this was a way to potentionally get rich really quickly. (it worked for all stores). I bought some broad bolts. Considered what I was doing. Submitted a bug report, because I don't see the point of getting rich quickly and ruin the enjoyment for the game.

So you have 1k climbing boots. Drop them on the ground. You don't have to alch them. So someone gets really rich because of this update. So what. It's their own game they are cabbaging.

So maybe their will be some inflation? It happened before. We adapted.

And yes, my farming run example is to the point. The point being that exactly nothing has changed in my gaming experience. And this is basically the case for most people. If you go out of the way to make a point of it, then indeed there seems to be a big problem. If you hadn't even heard of this update and the potential problems it might create you wouldn't even have noticed.

So lighten up. Play the game. don't worry about some noobs who won the lottery.

spuriousmonk.png

spuriousmonk.png

This sticky has been created in response to the most commonly asked questions and feedback we have received regarding the recent changes that were made to the climbing boots that you are able to buy after starting the Death Plateau quest.

To say that this update provokes inflation is like saying that taking home a bucket of sand from the beach will make it disappear. The amount of GP that enter and leave the game on a daily basis is about 8 to 10 times as high as the amount that entered the games economy yesterday by increasing the value of the climbing boots. Basically' date=' the same amount of money per person could be made by chopping yew logs for a couple of hours and then alching the bows made - a relatively small one-off addition to the coins going through the game.

Although there were occasional outliers, the distribution of the number of boots between players was pretty even. 55% of people had one pair of boots; 99 % of people had fewer than 50 pairs of boots (which if they sold to the shop for 45k would give 2.25 mil).

"Why would you give an item an increased value based on its bonuses and then let it be alced for more than boots with better bonuses, just because they cannot be bought from a shop?"

What we wanted to achieve is that players who use these boots for their bonuses, in particular on PvP and Bounty worlds, are risking an appropriate amount of GP that has a resemblance of the bonuses that they get from them. So far, it was very cheap to get good stats on the boots slot too cheap.

We want the shop to provide a back-up supply of reasonable boots in the event that people arent fighting for good rune and dragon boots from drops, not to undermine the market for those rewards. So the price has to be fairly high to achieve this.

"Why only climbing boots? There are many items that have better bonuses. For example, a strength amulet has +10 Strength bonus, should we be expecting a huge rise in that item too?"

The aim of this change was not to re-value items based on their stats, but to deal with a huge number of people trying to buy these boots for such a low value that there was no supply.

The climbing boots were high on our list of items to re-evaluate due to the scale of imbalance in their supply and demand, and generally, other items dont have the same problem so we wouldnt expect to make a similar drastic change elsewhere.

"PLEASE, explain your logic behind this. Climbing boots high alch for 45k. Is there a reason for this? You're already raising an item by 74.8k (which nobody is going to buy now) and you've given it a huge alching price!

Dragon Boots high alch for 12k

Rune Boots high alch for 7.5k

Both of these boots have better stats. Why do climbing boots have such a high alch price?"

Dragon boots and rune boots are both more important items in the game than climbing boots. They are drops on specific NPCs that people can go out to get, and we want them to hold value. In re-valuing the climbing boots we tried to price them so that the armoured boots would generally be attractive in comparison.

"Other items change their price with supply and demand, why was this item manually changed?"

The boots were not changing in price with supply and demand, as the Grand Exchange was unable to raise the price sufficiently above the low shop price. So even though there were thousands of people wanting to buy the climbing boots, and prepared to pay a higher market price, unless we changed the intrinsic value of the boots, they could not go to the price which the market needed to balance supply and demand.[/quote']

My Response

''unless we changed the intrinsic value of the boots' date=' they could not go to the price which the market needed to balance supply and demand.''

Right.. uhm so, wait uhm you .. could have changed intrinsic value?

As I read your reasoning, me and my degree in Economics at the University of Tilburg (ye, I am bragging here) see no reason for a change of this proportion.

The only thing that is shown by your reasoning, is that the Grand Exchange is flawed.

Also you state, the daily cashflow is far greater then the additional money that entered the Economy now. That is basically saying that daily inflation is 8-10x greater then the huge inflation that occurred with just this update? Otherwise your reasoning is severely flawed!

What you say is that a company that earns millions only has 10k profit. Now you update and give the company 10k extra profit. Compared to the revenue the company makes (millions, daily cashflow), the extra 10k (profit, inflation) isn't much. Yet.. the profit (inflation) doubles!

I call out for a good game in reasoning. I love you for your bad reasoning, now get an education and get the hell out of here! [/quote']

34eyfbd.jpg9h43sp.jpg16m28ty.jpg

Oh wow.

He got forumbanned for making a youtube movie. Now it gets muffled. Pretty pathetic on part of Jagex. Breaking their own rules to. Small riot on the subject at the moment I believe. O well, 5,95 per month right?

34eyfbd.jpg9h43sp.jpg16m28ty.jpg

12pure. You might want to get the money you spent on your economics degree back, because her post made a hell of a lot more sense.

Mostly considering that the runescape economy does not fit any real economic model, is in no way stable like a game such as EVE, or the fact that Jagex knows their game economy best.

Her point? The amount of money made due to this is a drop in the ocean. 76king more than likely produces more money than this on a daily basis and you guys love that, don't you? Coin drops from monsters across all worlds more than likely surpass this threefold. High alching? You've left this cashflow behind.

People were using climbing boots as a cheap way to get decent protection without paying for it. Jagex fixed that. A minority of people profited (and really, in one day of this "leak" nobody is going to accrue more than a few hundred of these boots, especially when "a whole bunch" of people are world hopping trying to do the same.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

Wow. So not only did Jagex F up the game, they're also treating their player base like [cabbage], for lack of a better word.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

Her point? The amount of money made due to this is a drop in the ocean. 76king more than likely produces more money than this on a daily basis and you guys love that, don't you? Coin drops from monsters across all worlds more than likely surpass this threefold. High alching? You've left this cashflow behind.

People were using strength amulets as a cheap way to get higher hits without paying for it. Jagex fixed that. A minority of people profited (and really, in one day of this "leak" nobody is going to accrue more than a few hundred of these strength amulets, especially when "a whole bunch" of people are world hopping trying to do the same.

Barihawk, see what I did there?

I am considering writing and mailing a letter of complaint to Jagex. I might post what I write so people can copy, print, and paste, and then send to Jagex too.

I might be overreacting, but I just find it really appalling how Jagex has treated this whole situation.

If anyone else wants to send Jagex mail:

Jagex Ltd.

St. John's Innovation Centre

Cowley Road

Cambridge

CB4 0WS

United Kingdom

Postage only costs about a dollar.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

I believe that the subscription base for RS was 1 million right?

550,000 x 45,000 = 24,750,000,000

see says,

Although there were occasional outliers, the distribution of the number of boots between players was pretty even. 55% of people had one pair of boots; 99 % of people had fewer than 50 pairs of boots (which if they sold to the shop for 45k would give 2.25 mil).

So 55% had one pair, 99%, so with this we can conclude that 44% had more then one.

So lets just say 44% had two.

440,000 x 90,000 = 39,600,000,000

1% had more than 50 pairs

10,000 x (50 x 45000) = 22,500,000,000

Edit: Its way way worse if you calculate the 44% having atleast ten boots, which probably sounds reasonable since theres a GE button that increases your quantity by ten.

Second Edit: Also its quite funny how the profit margins for these 3 groups are. 550,000 people made 45k. 440,000 people made at worst 90k. 10,000 people made 2.25m. Gee that seems real fair doesn't it.

SOS_100x100.png

Help drive change Canada

This was a terrible idea.

If you take mod mark's earlier statement about 1.3k climbing boots being 'the most' he'd seen so far (which I highly doubt), why didn't they simply turn the old climbers into junk, and add the new climbers in at their current price?

That would have made perfect sense, but you know.

SOS_100x100.png

Help drive change Canada

I believe that the subscription base for RS was 1 million right?

550,000 x 45,000 = 24,750,000,000

see says,

So 55% had one pair, 99%, so with this we can conclude that 44% had more then one.

So lets just say 44% had two.

440,000 x 90,000 = 39,600,000,000

1% had more than 50 pairs

10,000 x (50 x 45000) = 22,500,000,000

Edit: Its way way worse if you calculate the 44% having atleast ten boots, which probably sounds reasonable since theres a GE button that increases your quantity by ten.

Second Edit: Also its quite funny how the profit margins for these 3 groups are. 550,000 people made 45k. 440,000 people made at worst 90k. 10,000 people made 2.25m. Gee that seems real fair doesn't it.

Keep in mind that the 44% can be anyone who has more than one or...zero? Not everyone has them.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley