Rock climbing boots affecting RuneScape

Leoo

A few players will make buttloads that they'll never use, but that's it.

I seriously doubt that players who have most likely magnified their bank worth considerably will not spend their newly found wealth. Assuming that they won't is silly.

well some of the merch clan leaders who got tipped off by jmods to this update probably have no need of it...

but for the average pker, yes that money will be gone in seconds.

I agree that the average PKer would turn around and spend that money quickly. However the average PKer is not going to have a big enough stack for it to really matter. The people I was meaning were thouse who already have huge cash piles sitting in their banks. These are the people who were most likely to have hoarded the boots. They already have more money than they can use. So they'll just have more coins gathering dust in their banks.

Concerning the percentage of PKers to other players. If we assume the population of the PKing community is around 5% of the total community, that means the 5% of the community has potential to have stocks of climbing boots. However not ever PKer uses climbing boots. Richer PKers are likely not to. Also, there are a lot of players who, if they lost their boots would just run to the sherpa to get another pair rather than amass them in their banks, or just have a few pairs rather than a stack. So let's say that maybe a third of those players have more than 50 pairs. (please keep in mind I am speculating and not stating this as fact.) So a third of 64,000 is about 21,300, which is about 1.5% of the population. So let's remover the radical factors which are the players whose cash piles are already so huge as to never possibly be used, and whittle it down to about 1%. That leaves roughly 13,000. Now let's estimate that the average number of boots per player among those 13,000, is oh i dunno, maybe 350. That comes out to a cash influx of about 204.75B. That's an average of about 15.75M per person. If you split that pot between the entirety of the 1.5M players, each person would get a whopping 136.5K. I don't know about you, but I don't get out of bed for 136K.

Catastrophic? Get real.

You have absolutely no proof to suggest that the individuals who have most likely hoarded an obscene amount of boots were those who already have huge cash piles already sitting in their banks. Conversely, I myself have no proof to suggest that the individuals in questions were PKers who have a small bank networth. However, we can conclude that whichever individual had a large stockpile of boots, that they received GP that is disproportionate to the amount they should have received, which to be frank, isn't fair to the rest of the players and the spirit of the game.. something Jagex has been stressing for a while now. Although one of the main issues and concerns with this update is the amount of inflation, and how much of it will affect the economy, many players are forgetting the fact a few select players have received misconstrued and copious amounts of GP due to Jagex's inability to accurately place a proper price tag of the boots itself. Being a competitive game Runescape is, it's not right to turn a blind eye to it as it's money that should have never been. Quid Pro Quo is definitely not the case.

Again, you are assuming that PKers were the only ones to purchase Climbing Boots, but this is not the case. It is a cheap, dispensable boots as I have said before - for this reason many people have used the boots as "welfare" gear in many dangerous situations, not only PKers. Your guestimations are pretty much nullified by the fact that they're crude estimates without any real backing.

It is catastrophic. Not in the sense of an economic standpoint, but the many, many angry players that have received the short end of the update. In terms of player dissatisfaction, it's been compared to the 2007/2008 updates which were heavily criticized.

cgknightofroundsorigina.jpg

99 Hits, Attack, Strength, Defence, Mage, Summoning, Slayer, Ranged, 96/99 Prayer

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seriously doubt that players who have most likely magnified their bank worth considerably will not spend their newly found wealth. Assuming that they won't is silly.

well some of the merch clan leaders who got tipped off by jmods to this update probably have no need of it...

I agree that the average PKer would turn around and spend that money quickly. However the average PKer is not going to have a big enough stack for it to really matter. The people I was meaning were thouse who already have huge cash piles sitting in their banks. These are the people who were most likely to have hoarded the boots. They already have more money than they can use. So they'll just have more coins gathering dust in their banks.

I dont see why rich people would have gone out of the way to hoard climbing boots...

Concerning the percentage of PKers to other players. If we assume the population of the PKing community is around 4.2% of the total community as stated,

nononono, I said the clan community was 4.2%

that means the 4.2% of the community has potential to have stocks of climbing boots. However not ever PKer uses climbing boots. Richer PKers are likely not to.

rich pkers like to welfare sometimes too...

Also, there are a lot of players who, if they lost their boots would just run to the sherpa to get another pair rather than amass them in their banks,

it takes at least 3 minutes to go get a new pair, and they could get multiples while they were there, why wouldnt they? Also many clans require you to have multiple sets of gear.

or just have a few pairs rather than a stack. So let's say that maybe a third of those players have more than 50 pairs. (please keep in mind I am speculating and not stating this as fact.)

your speculating with absurd numbers with no facts to back it up...

So a third of 64,000 is about 21,300, which is about 1.5% of the population. So let's remover the radical factors which are the players whose cash piles are already so huge as to never possibly be used,

your confusing your two groups here, they huge cash pile people were different then the pkers.

and whittle it down to about 1%. That leaves roughly 13,000. Now let's estimate that the average number of boots per player among those 13,000, is oh i dunno, maybe 350. That comes out to a cash influx of about 204.75B. That's an average of about 15.75M per person. If you split that pot between the entirety of the 1.5M players, each person would get a whopping 136.5K. I don't know about you, but I don't get out of bed for 136K.

again, your just making up numbers.

Catastrophic?

not quite, but it was unnecessary.

Get real.

no u

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

Concerning the percentage of PKers to other players. If we assume the population of the PKing community is around 5% of the total community, that means the 5% of the community has potential to have stocks of climbing boots. However not ever PKer uses climbing boots. Richer PKers are likely not to. Also, there are a lot of players who, if they lost their boots would just run to the sherpa to get another pair rather than amass them in their banks, or just have a few pairs rather than a stack. So let's say that maybe a third of those players have more than 50 pairs. (please keep in mind I am speculating and not stating this as fact.) So a third of 64,000 is about 21,300, which is about 1.5% of the population. So let's remover the radical factors which are the players whose cash piles are already so huge as to never possibly be used, and whittle it down to about 1%. That leaves roughly 13,000. Now let's estimate that the average number of boots per player among those 13,000, is oh i dunno, maybe 350. That comes out to a cash influx of about 204.75B. That's an average of about 15.75M per person. If you split that pot between the entirety of the 1.5M players, each person would get a whopping 136.5K. I don't know about you, but I don't get out of bed for 136K.

Catastrophic? Get real.

You have absolutely no proof to suggest that the individuals who have most likely hoarded an obscene amount of boots were those who already have huge cash piles already sitting in their banks. Conversely, I myself have no proof to suggest that the individuals in questions were PKers who have a small bank networth. However, we can conclude that whichever individual had a large stockpile of boots, that they received GP that is disproportionate to the amount they should have received, which to be frank, isn't fair to the rest of the players and the spirit of the game.. something Jagex has been stressing for a while now. Although one of the main issues and concerns with this update is the amount of inflation, and how much of it will affect the economy, many players are forgetting the fact a few select players have received misconstrued and copious amounts of GP due to Jagex's inability to accurately place a proper price tag of the boots itself. Being a competitive game Runescape is, it's not right to turn a blind eye to it as it's money that should have never been. Quid Pro Quo is definitely not the case.

Again, you are assuming that PKers were the only ones to purchase Climbing Boots, but this is not the case. It is a cheap, dispensable boots as I have said before - for this reason many people have used the boots as "welfare" gear in many dangerous situations, not only PKers.

It is catastrophic. Not in the sense of an economic standpoint, but the many, many angry players that have received the short end of the update. In terms of player dissatisfaction, it's been compared to the 2007/2008 updates which were heavily criticized.

I agree with you actually. The update was not well thought out and in poor taste. It gave some players an unfair advantage for the most part by sheer luck. I'm not debating that whatsoever. I'm simply stating that this doesn't have the outrageous ramifications that people are claiming. To me by the time you get to the point of getting climbing boots you should already have enough money to get better gear, so most players who don't PK aren't likely to use them, or if they do they're not likely to have multiple pairs. People who don't PK don't often mass gear simply due to the fact that they don't go out expecting to die at any time, so it's more likely that if they have more than one pair that the extra is just one for a placeholder. My reasoning behind saying that players who are already rich are the ones massing huge amounts is pretty elementary actually. What poor player in their right mind is going to go buy thousands of pairs of climbing boots at a little over 200gp each on the G.E., or spend an abundance of time buying them from the sherpa and hauling them back to their bank? It just isn't reasonable for players without a good supply of cash. Therefore I agree with Jagex's figures on this. The vast majority of higher leveled players (higher level generally equating to higher wealth) will be using dragon boots, or bandos, or maybe something i'm forgetting about. Lower leveled players are the ones likely to not have the money and will opt for the climbers, but won't have the money nor the inclination to buy large amounts. So basically what we're left with is about 1% of the population with over 50, probably averaging at best a few hundred each.

@aeil - Yes I was making up numbers, which I admitted to by saying i was speculating. It's just rough estimates. I don't expect to be spot on. M reasoning behind saying rich players were the hoarders is who in their right mind masses thousands of one item if they don't have money to waste? A normal player will keep that money and put it towards something nice, like a godsword or DFS. Also I expected you to say the MErchers and PKers were separate, I know they are, I just lumped them together. But even if my figures are only half of the true figures it doesn't really matter because all that would mean is about 270k per person. Let's go a step further and say my average was only half of the actual average, and that puts the increase in money per person at about 500k. It's still not really significant. Go to Green drags, you'll make 500k in no time flat.

[hide]

Damnit, I tripped over Magzar's half inflated blow-up doll and hurt myself. I wish he wouldn't leave that thing lying around. -.-

[/hide]

blahvt.png

Rather disgusting.

That's a bit out of context. there's nothing showing that he was replying to that question.

[hide]

Damnit, I tripped over Magzar's half inflated blow-up doll and hurt myself. I wish he wouldn't leave that thing lying around. -.-

[/hide]

blahvt.png

Rather disgusting.

That's a bit out of context. there's nothing showing that he was replying to that question.

Definitely, considering the chat in MMG's is going a mile a minute, and the fact that he was talking about something else in-between implies that he was following a seperate line of thought.

On the topic of the economical viewpoint, I see two arguments going on here. Some people appear to claim that the boots update is not nearly as catastrophic as people think. Others point out that the panic-buying has begun, which was in turn caused by this update. Different viewpoints.

I think the ge database points out that there's been some panic-buying going on. :/

blahvt.png

Rather disgusting.

Definitely, considering the chat in MMG's is going a mile a minute, and the fact that he was talking about something else in-between implies that he was following a seperate line of thought.

On the topic of the economical viewpoint, I see two arguments going on here. Some people appear to claim that the boots update is not nearly as catastrophic as people think. Others point out that the panic-buying has begun, which was in turn caused by this update. Different viewpoints.

I think the ge database points out that there's been some panic-buying going on. :/

I think the panic buying is going to cause a lot more problems than the update itself. That's always going to be a problem with the playerbase being as young as it is though. Undereducated and underinformed kids afraid of losing their geepees is a bigger threat than anything Jagex can muddle their way into.

[hide]

[/hide]

the worst part about panic-buying is people KNOW there will be panicbuying, so they buy too. XD

It's a self-feeding problem. :/

If you cant beat em, join em. Eh? :P

I just want to clear a point up - whilst I do think this update was a bad move (even though I myself had 100 boots sitting in my bank,) I believe people who are saying that this is "worsening an economy that is already plagued by inflation" are wrong. Sure, a few select items have been skyrocketing over the last few weeks and months, but this is mostly due to the actions of merchant clans.

In fact, a lot of items are actually a lot cheaper now than they were a few months ago. Most food and potion items are a good examples - shark are finally hanging around the 1k mark each, and prayer potions at a little below 10k, when a few months ago these were 1.7-1.8k and 12-13k respectively.

I think it is fair to say that a lot of durable items (such as weapons and armours) have gone up in price, but the ENTIRE runescape economy has not been going through inflation over the last few months.

That being said, there is no possible way to estimate the effects of this update - due to the fact that there is no possible way to exactly estimate how many boots were out there, no matter how much anybody tries.

dungensweapers.png

JOIN CHICKENSWEEPERS TODAY! FUN, FREE, AND IT WON'T MAKE YOU FEEL LIKE YOU'VE JUST BEEN ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS, OR YOUR MONEY BACK!

<crazy late night musings !WARNING!>

Ok, I got a quick, benefit of the doubt, on some of the numbers some of the mods are giving us which we pretty much know are bogus at this point.

What if they took these number weeks ago, when they were working on the update and finalizing the price, etc. They looked and saw the minimum impact they thought was acceptable, and put the update into the pipeline.

Then, the update is leaked, and a bunch of people bought up said boots. So by the time the update actually happened, boots were everywhere and the numbers they had originally used were junk. It doesnt take but one or two clans to find out, and spread it to their sheeple members to get a bunch of boots into the economy.

This is just an idea. Some of the mods are full of crap, but some of them I really think are being thrown under the bus, as it were, with numbers and arguments that may have been true at the time they took them. (some of the arguments are just totally non-sense, without a shred of logic though)

But is it just me, or is there is something hinky going on behind the façade of Jagex, or are they really well, I dont really want to insult morons. In the end, it doesnt matter what the effect of the update is in a vacuum, it matters what the effect is IN THE GAME. Of course Runescape players were going to freak out. They are Runescape players! Is the sky blue? Is water wet? If they couldnt predict this they need to take their crystal ball in for a tune up.

But for employees who talk about how great it is to work there, and how much fun they have, they must have said fun in abject silence, since they have proven time and time again that they NEVER TALK TO EACH OTHER. Im really starting to believe that Jagex, as a company, must be some farcical crack-up. The idea that some mods leaked the update just confirms in my mind that there may be something wrong personal-wise, within Jagex. I wouldnt be surprised to see some quiet exits, but then again, maybe instead of making heads roll, they will promote them instead. Almost nothing would surprise me anymore.

Either way, I stopped thinking Jagex had integrity a while ago. </crazy late night musings>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_floor

That is exactly what Jagex did, enable a price floor, to a point. The price is subject to change via supply and demand. As of now, the boots will crash to the real (hidden) price floor that Jagex does with all items that can be sold and bought on the Grand Exchange (I hope it does). Unless they didn't for this item, then maybe it will crash all the way back to 200gp...*wishful thinking*

Meh this doesn't affect me directly, other than the fact that it could possible inflate items that I buy/use. Then it will suck for me. I don't play enough anymore anyway to really care that much. I care more about content updates.

Big_Stingman.png

That is exactly what Jagex did, enable a price floor, to a point. The price is subject to change via supply and demand. As of now, the boots will crash to the real (hidden) price floor that Jagex does with all items that can be sold and bought on the Grand Exchange (I hope it does). Unless they didn't for this item, then maybe it will crash all the way back to 200gp...*wishful thinking*

Meh this doesn't affect me directly, other than the fact that it could possible inflate items that I buy/use. Then it will suck for me. I don't play enough anymore anyway to really care that much. I care more about content updates.

Totally ignoring the fact you can sell the boots to the sherpa for about 45k a piece...

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

Totally ignoring the fact you can sell the boots to the sherpa for about 45k a piece...

Yup.

Big_Stingman.png

This update yet again shows jagex can, and never will admit to their mistakes(farming poll, anyone?).

Farming has turned out to be one of the more successful facets of the game in recent memory. Try again?

Funny how in a game filled with magic, cryptobiology & supernaturalism - we expect the economy to be rigidly real-world. :razz:

My only issue with the recent events is the alleged leaking of the update by Jagex staff. Favoritism is a big no-no in my book and for Jagex to apparently shrug it off speaks poorly of the company, IMO.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

This update yet again shows jagex can, and never will admit to their mistakes(farming poll, anyone?).

Farming has turned out to be one of the more successful facets of the game in recent memory. Try again?

Funny how in a game filled with magic, cryptobiology & supernaturalism - we expect the economy to be rigidly real-world. :razz:

My only issue with the recent events is the alleged leaking of the update by Jagex staff. Favoritism is a big no-no in my book and for Jagex to apparently shrug it off speaks poorly of the company, IMO.

Would you learn to read, PLEASE. I said that the farming poll saga is a prime example of how out of touch jagex was with it's customers back then, and their inability to lose in certain situations. For anyone who doesn't know the story... Jagex released a poll about what people thought about farming as a skill just days after release, and after the poll results showed terrible dislike for the skill, they removed it 4 hours into the poll release, with not much explenation. Since then jagex has not made a poll about anything important. It's unfortuanate that a big game companly would act as such a child, but the reacent update is much worse. It's just funny to see how far mod mark would go to cover all their asses, and not ''bring pressure'' to their ranks. I mean, obviously there was something fishy about this update or it was just not thought about well enough, and there has been a load of conformations about this update having been leaked, so, what should you do? Turtle up? #-o

For the people still discussing how the actual new money will affect the economy, in the long run, everyone who had coins in their bank lost around 3-7% of their coinpile, but what screws more people over is the panic buyout that we are just seeing. Even if the added money was a bucket of sand in beach, we are already living in a sandmine, so adding to the already huge inflation was a terrible idea. No, i don't think this update will affect us all in the future as far as the economy is concerned, though it will allow rich to yet again get richer, but i do think this will work bad for jagex'es reputation.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

Would you learn to read, PLEASE. I said that the farming poll saga is a prime example of how out of touch jagex was with it's customers back then, and their inability to lose in certain situations. For anyone who doesn't know the story... Jagex released a poll about what people thought about farming as a skill just days after release, and after the poll results showed terrible dislike for the skill, they removed it 4 hours into the poll release, with not much explenation. Since then jagex has not made a poll about anything important. It's unfortuanate that a big game companly would act as such a child, but the reacent update is much worse. It's just funny to see how far mod mark would go to cover all their asses, and not ''bring pressure'' to their ranks. I mean, obviously there was something fishy about this update or it was just not thought about well enough, and there has been a load of conformations about this update having been leaked, so, what should you do? Turtle up? #-o

For the people still discussing how the actual new money will affect the economy, in the long run, everyone who had coins in their bank lost around 3-7% of their coinpile, but what screws more people over is the panic buyout that we are just seeing. Even if the added money was a bucket of sand in beach, we are already living in a sandmine, so adding to the already huge inflation was a terrible idea. No, i don't think this update will affect us all in the future as far as the economy is concerned, though it will allow rich to yet again get richer, but i do think this will work bad for jagex'es reputation.

The farming poll results were more correctly a reflection of the maturity level of the playerbase than any shortcomings of the update itself. And that's my point, would you PLEASE READ and save the attitude for the riots & YouTube propaganda shorts.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

Would you learn to read, PLEASE. I said that the farming poll saga is a prime example of how out of touch jagex was with it's customers back then, and their inability to lose in certain situations.

That poll only proved how many people in Runescape are whiny crybabies. Jagex made the mistake of putting up the poll a few days after release, after a couple days of server issues (farming caused some major lag on the servers in the first couple days). By the time Jagex put up their poll, the most experience most of the people who voted "no" had was:

*Plant potato*

"Wtf, dis taeks longur den ten sekinds? [bleep] DAT"

I was part of the group back when Farming was released that petitioned Jagex to remove the poll in the first place, and it doesn't show how "out of touch" Jagex is, as all of the skills released after Runecrafting had received the same exact initial response.

Slayer: OMG dis isn't a skill, iz combat wif exp.

Hunter: Itz a mini-game wtf no useful rewards

Construction: Not a skill, iz house building minigaem

Summoning: Omg skill level 4 followurs? NOOB

Dungeoneering: not a skill, iz activity.

Would you learn to read, PLEASE.

Trying to sound like the intellectual superior loses its face value when you follow it up by showing you have the insight of a five year old.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

I am actually kind of hopeful right now, Jmods have not posted on the forum at all except to remove spam threads. Even with the dense skull they have Jagex should notice that SOMETHING is wrong here. Perhaps they are trying to come up with something? I mean last update they acknowledged the booboo on shark/brew after being quiet after a few hours, perhaps they are doing the same now?

11-1.jpg[

Guild Wars 2-In game screenshot, the MMORPG you are waiting for. Click for thread.

I am actually kind of hopeful right now, Jmods have not posted on the forum at all except to remove spam threads. Even with the dense skull they have Jagex should notice that SOMETHING is wrong here. Perhaps they are trying to come up with something? I mean last update they acknowledged the booboo on shark/brew after being quiet after a few hours, perhaps they are doing the same now?

Shark/brew thing and this update are the best evidence to prove Jagex-employees don't play this game on their free time.

Shark/brew thing was known in all major pk-clans and clan wars-clans, they *found out* years after and even considered it a bug...

I just read through quite a few posts that say that this update won't or will cause massive inflation. Really, we have no idea, everyone is on here throwing out numbers and calculations made with guessed numbers.

The real problem with this update isn't how much inflation this update will cause(only time will tell)- but that it could have been easily avoided and/or fixed by Jagex. But instead they chose to defend their failure with arguments that look like swiss cheese, and by banning players that speak out- further escalating the problem. If they admitted they were wrong and started to fix the problem they player base would be certainly be mad- but not up in arms like they are now.

On a side note: Anyone find a decent pair of welfare boots to pk in?

Soldin_911.png