Rock climbing boots affecting RuneScape

Leoo

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry if this isn't appropriate for discussion, but I lol'd

lolbe.png

Please note I am not telling any of them to spam my name in CC's or make threads about me. It's out of my hands

Your loving this arent you. smiley_emoticons_xd.gif

But yeah, like I said on the RSOF, the effect is taking place now, there isnt much Jagex can do now without making even more players mad so best bet is to just let it settle and hope they dont do something like this again.

But yeah, like I said on the RSOF, the effect is taking place now, there isnt much Jagex can do now without making even more players mad so best bet is to just let it settle and hope they dont do something like this again.

To be perfectly honest I am not loving it. I don't get a moment's rest, even with my private to friends I get constant PMS, messageseverywhere, following me in game, and I feel like my account may be in danger now.

I just wanted to scape and I had an opinion and it blew up lol

To be perfectly honest I am not loving it. I don't get a moment's rest, even with my private to friends I get constant PMS, messageseverywhere, following me in game, and I feel like my account may be in danger now.

B.S.

You wanted to start something and you got it.

Deal with it or quit. :idea:

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

i think i could care less if someone else profited from a pretty silly but harmless update in my fantasy game

good on em for usin their biscuit, and big lols to the people getting outraged and screaming about insider trading - its just scape bro, it doesnt really matter

all things pass

I think I could care less if someone else gang ***** and knife shanked me IRL because everyone dies in the end so in life it really doesn't matter what you do

all things pass

wow, ridiculous parallel is ridiculous

very minor shift to rs balance of wealth is as great a concern to you as getting gangbanged and shanked irl?

priorities

wow, redundant redundancy is redundant

very major shift to rs balance of wealth and Jamflex betraying the trust of their players is as great a concern to me as something that "doesnt really matter"

and lol, when I read the word "priorities" I thought of Quick Attack. too much Pokemon for me tbh

sexual abuse and murder are serious issues, so please dont make light of them m8

lol pokemon

Unfair favouritism, betrayal of trust, blatant lies, and hypocrisy are pretty serious too

scapes hella fun, but not to be taken too seriously bro

honestly, when it all boils down to a 'minor' [ok, debatable? but for my own gameplay, at the least] change on my online fantasy game, i dont consider those things 'serious'

if you do, then you do

i dont ;)

I'm not too sure about this, but decent game design companies have contracts which proctect the companies assets in case there is a breach like this and would propably end in minor jail time/ a nice fine. So to be honest, both of these things are illeagal, it's just a how seriously someone takes them. The fact that you don't care about the product you buy just shows how stupid you are.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

I'm sorta disappointed Jagex failed to see the problem with upping the alch value and store value. If they only made the GE value 75k, then all would be fine, as it will drop until it reaches a reasonable price people will buy for. And the people with stacks of them would just have a bunch of junk.

Staurolite.png

RSOF thread: 164-165-931-61189980 <-----Recommended reading.

^QFC for a brilliant RSOF thread. The author breaks down Mod MMG's explanation of the price change as well as rebuking it. As well, he suggests Jagex could have found several better ways to approach the "Rock Climbing Boots" problem. One of them is that Jagex could have released Climbing Boots Item Packs, say 1 pack contains 10-50, in large stock quantities, for a cheap price, from Tenzing. I can tell that the current solution was brought about by thinking about the solution without actually considering the cause of the problem. If Jagex truly thought the boots were in high demand, and they TRULY didn't want to change the value of an item based on its stats, they should have made Boots more accessible.

The author's suggestion (on Page 3) perfectly outlines what Jagex could have done to correctly approach what they thought was the problem: By making boots more accessible, by releasing them in Packs that contain 100 or so boots, for a cheap price (1200gp - 100*12=1200), in large stock quantities of those Item Packs. (100K+). That allows for ten million boots, which, if the Packs are able to be noted upon purchase or stack on top of each other, would considerably cut demand for them. Considering the relative ease to obtain these boots either way, also discussed in the thread, Jagex would have eliminated the perceived "demand" instead of mirroring it by increasing the price to what they thought the demand for it was (the "demand" for those boots clearly was not that high, which is why boots such as Rune and Dragon are now favored instead of Rock Climbing Boots, not to mention RCB protect over the former. Jagex clearly mistook paying for convenience for "street demand").

It's just a perfect thread. It completely destroys Mod MMG's defense for Jagex's actions, as well as suggesting a very good idea to cut down demand (Item Packs). Two birds with one stone.

Sorry for my rambling, I'm also distraught by this issue. Jagex is just...very untrustworthy, with all the tipping-off merchanting clans (scum of this game) and lying to their own players through their own poorly thought out reasons. For the sake of this game, the explanation was a lie and there is something deeper going on, rather than the result of poor planning. Again, read the thread on RSOF: 164-165-931-61189980. Simply brilliant.

Also, honestly, this just doesn't feel right.

I think I can say with utmost certainty this is the first time that Jagex has publicized how truly corrupt they can be. Giving several undeserving players several hundreds of millions of coins, for doing NOTHING! Others slave away and get nowhere near to close that amount!

Even the ones who have 99 RuneCrafting, potentially the fastest moneymaker in the game, with the lightest equipment and the best familiar for RC, have to slave for several hours straight to get a FRACTION of what these people have earned, in the blink of an eye!

For comparison, it takes at least several tens, to hundreds of hours, and a lot of cash, to get 99 RuneCrafting. Another 3-5 days from that, to get close to forty million gp cash, if you slave for 3-5 days straight.

For 1000 climbing boots, it only cost 12K to buy 1000 before the update, and maybe 20-30 minutes to obtain 1K of them.

THEN resell them NOTED to the Sherpa for forty million GP in half a second! Absolutely ridiculous. This is Jagex at its worst. Jagex has hit rock bottom.

Jagex is giving free hand outs to undeserving players, tipping scum off about the handouts, and even muting or banning players who know the truth, who took the stand up to the big bad Jagex.

This is the point where Jagex has become truly corrupt, and there is no turning back if Jagex does not repent and change back to the way things were before. Jagex should be ashamed.

Also note many, many solutions.

Bringing the source of boots closer to a trading area, such as Varrock. Jagex did that with Dragon Scimitars less than two weeks ago.

The Item Packs when players training summoning found it very hard to collect shards.

And much more...

Honestly, when Jagex listens to the players, things go well. When they think for themselves...not so much. I mean, either Jagex is really corrupt or really stupid. For the game's sake, I'd rather it be that they were stupid, because corrupt people do not have morals or a sense of right and wrong. They may realize they made a mistake but are too proud to admit or do anything about it. You can't convince them to admit that they are wrong. At least with stupid people, you can show them their mistake and guide them....if they are smart enough to realize their mistake.

RIP RU_Insane. August 3rd, 2005 - November 11th, 2012.
RU_Insane.png

My Stats on Old School RuneScape: 

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support
Check Out My Threads UNRoA.gif

Did you post anything else besides that video on Youtube? I keep hearing people saying you were muted/banned, and are now making a martyr out of you, but the exact reason wasn't specified for the mute/ban. Did you mouth off directly to Jagex or something, in game or out of game, or was it just that video? And how long were you muted/banned for?

Going to try and voice my feelings.

I had around 1500 boots, so I will probably look at this in a different matter that someone who had none.

The street price of these boots before the update was 75k

No. Not even worth writing a response to this, even he must know this isn't true. During my whole RS career, I've never paid more than 5k for a pair of boots. Heck, there was always some pure selling them if I needed a pair or two.

Basically, the same amount of money per person could be made by chopping yew logs for a couple of hours and then alching the bows made

Oh? Let's see:

1500*212 = 318k

1500*45k = 67,5M

Total profit = 67,182M

By know both you and I know it's not worth typing up the statistics for chopping Yew Logs. (Unless she defines "a couple of hours" for 1000+ hours.)

Although there were occasional outliers, the distribution of the number of boots between players was pretty even. 55% of people had one pair of boots; 99 % of people had fewer than 50 pairs of boots

From what I've heard, JaGeX don't actually know this, they've taken a sample of players and asked them. If this is the case, then [bleep] JaGeX. First you make a mistake, and then you lie to us?

Due to the fact that I am in a clan that does a lot of PvP, it made sense to stack up on these boots. Many of us have more than 100 boots, and we are just one clan among many.

To say that this update provokes inflation is like saying that taking home a bucket of sand from the beach will make it disappear.

True.

But if you get 3 million people to get a bucket each, the beach is gonna get smaller, aye?

Don't have many more sensible things that haven't been said already.

JaGeX screwed up. Big-time.

Note: All of the quotes are from Mod Emilee, except the first one, which is by Mod Mark.

pendulumsig.png

138 Combat as of Summer 2010 - Retired Summer 2010

i said logdotzip irl and got arrested i am making this post from jail can someone plz contact my parents or jagex or logdotzip (tell the latter that i love him)??

[size="5"][font="Georgia"][b]Staking:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#FFFF00"][/color][color="#00FF00"] 4+ mil[/color][/font]
[font="Georgia"][b]Current Status:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#0000FF"] Training defense [/color][/font][/size]

Ok, so not reading 14 pages, but honestly could everyone stop [bleep]ing for I dunno 10 seconds and think rationally. The percentage of people who had large amounts of climbing boots was minuscule. A few players might see an enormous wealth gain. That is if they can resolve themselves to alching thousands of boots. However if You really think about it, the majority of those people already have enough money that they can't be bothered to wast their time alching. Assuming I'm wrong, you can also subtract the cost of the hundreds of thousands of nature runes being used from the total price, which will lower the effect.

All in all, between the relatively small number of players hoarding, their price at 30k above alch value making selling them impossible as buying them at above market price will result in a loss of money, players being to lazy to alch the vast quantities they have if they did hoard, and the cost of all the natures which are almost guaranteed to see a price spike if mass alching of boots starts, the effect of this update will be like a grain of sand in the desert.

If this causes any large scale inflation, I'll eat my hat. The biggest causes of inflation are in fact PvP, and merch clans. So if you want to [bleep], [bleep] about them, and stop whining about something that doesn't bloody matter.

Sidenote: IF you think the person who has 404,000 boots is really going to alch them all you're an idiot, flat out. I did a little quick math on the subject. I'm not sure the rate an efficient alcher can alch at so I took a guess of about 3 seconds per alch. So assuming that's correct, which it probably isn't, then to alch 404,000 boots would tak 14 DAYS of solid alching. That means never stopping for even a moment. So Those with vast amounts, may alch a little at a time, and prices may GRADUALLY inflate a little, but a spike isn't coming friends. Now please for the love of whoever the hell you worship, stop complaining about the damn game for 10 seconds and either play it or [bleep]ing quit. Honestly the player base has gone straight to hell. I guess that's what happens when the happy young players that started playing this game years ago become depressive disillusioned adults.

I'd also like to say that I'm sorry to the filter for making it work to the degree that I did in this post.

Edit: @returnofmic - They don't have to ask players how many boots they have, it's their game. They just check the data files on the players and see how many they have. Remember there are millions of active players. Personally I had one pair of boots, and I'd never even heard of people hoarding them. I never even knew people used them, and to be honest the only players who massed them were PKers and Merchers, which as we all know is a tiny tiny fraction of the population. And of that tiny fraction, there's another tiny fraction who ever saw the need to have huge numbers of them.

[hide]

Damnit, I tripped over Magzar's half inflated blow-up doll and hurt myself. I wish he wouldn't leave that thing lying around. -.-

[/hide]

Ok, so not reading 14 pages, but honestly could everyone stop [bleep]ing for I dunno 10 seconds and think rationally. The percentage of people who had large amounts of climbing boots was minuscule. A few players might see an enormous wealth gain. That is if they can resolve themselves to alching thousands of boots. However if You really think about it, the majority of those people already have enough money that they can't be bothered to wast their time alching. Assuming I'm wrong, you can also subtract the cost of the hundreds of thousands of nature runes being used from the total price, which will lower the effect.

All in all, between the relatively small number of players hoarding, their price at 30k above alch value making selling them impossible as buying them at above market price will result in a loss of money, players being to lazy to alch the vast quantities they have if they did hoard, and the cost of all the natures which are almost guaranteed to see a price spike if mass alching of boots starts, the effect of this update will be like a grain of sand in the desert.

If this causes any large scale inflation, I'll eat my hat. The biggest causes of inflation are in fact PvP, and merch clans. So if you want to [bleep], [bleep] about them, and stop whining about something that doesn't bloody matter.

Sidenote: IF you think the person who has 404,000 boots is really going to alch them all you're an idiot, flat out. I did a little quick math on the subject. I'm not sure the rate an efficient alcher can alch at so I took a guess of about 3 seconds per alch. So assuming that's correct, which it probably isn't, then to alch 404,000 boots would tak 14 DAYS of solid alching. That means never stopping for even a moment. So Those with vast amounts, may alch a little at a time, and prices may GRADUALLY inflate a little, but a spike isn't coming friends. Now please for the love of whoever the hell you worship, stop complaining about the damn game for 10 seconds and either play it or [bleep]ing quit. Honestly the player base has gone straight to hell. I guess that's what happens when the happy young players that started playing this game years ago become depressive disillusioned adults.

I'd also like to say that I'm sorry to the filter for making it work to the degree that I did in this post.

you can sell them to the shop 100 at a time.

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

magzar, you are only touching the tip of the iceberg here, as most who justify this update, let me get you up to speed...

This update has been confirmed to be leaked, which as even mod mark himself said, is pitiful.

This update has/will cause unwanted chaos in the market which adds to the loss of money for most regular players.

This update yet again shows jagex can, and never will admit to their mistakes(farming poll, anyone?).

This update shows that jagex will not apologise to their customers if they do something wrong.

This update shows jagex'es incapability to be customer friendly.

This update shows jagex'es complete lack of knowledge about the game(or at least the lead designers).

and i could go on...

And well, mod mark running away? guess what? YOU SCREWED UP, ADMIT IT, APOLOGIZE. That's what a deacent lead designer would have done 30 minutes after the update, after spending the last 30 minutes looking for how to make it right. Running away makes this even worse.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

Ahh true, that I didn't take into account, but still the sheer fact that the number of players who will be doing this is so tiny will prevent it from having much impact. A few players will make buttloads that they'll never use, but that's it. I think maybe the biggest thing people are missing is that these boots are not and item that everyone had thousands of. Now if they suddenly made the various elemental runes worth 30k each we'd see incomprehensibly enormous inflation, because i think everony probably has a stack of those about a mile high. For there to be inflation from an item it really needs to be a widely massed item and climbing boots just weren't.

Edit: @xpx - I by no means justify the update. I find it stupid and utterly pointless, but all in all it's not a big deal. There was no good reason to do it and I'd love if It was admitted that it wasn't a good update, however Jagex staff is totally justified by telling the players that they're overreacting, because they are. People are reacting like everyone was hoarding boots, and it's simply not the case.

[hide]

Damnit, I tripped over Magzar's half inflated blow-up doll and hurt myself. I wish he wouldn't leave that thing lying around. -.-

[/hide]

Ahh true, that I didn't take into account, but still the sheer fact that the number of players who will be doing this is so tiny will prevent it from having much impact. A few players will make buttloads that they'll never use, but that's it. I think maybe the biggest thing people are missing is that these boots are not and item that everyone had thousands of. Now if they suddenly made the various elemental runes worth 30k each we'd see incomprehensibly enormous inflation, because i think everony probably has a stack of those about a mile high. For there to be inflation from an item it really needs to be a widely massed item and climbing boots just weren't.

Edit: @xpx - I by no means justify the update. I find it stupid and utterly pointless, but all in all it's not a big deal. There was no good reason to do it and I'd love if It was admitted that it wasn't a good update, however Jagex staff is totally justified by telling the players that they're overreacting, because they are. People are reacting like everyone was hoarding boots, and it's simply not the case.

among the pking, and especially claning community they were, being a 12 gp easy to get item with very good stats.

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

among the pking, and especially claning community they were, being a 12 gp easy to get item with very good stats.

Like I said, that's a tiny fraction of the playerbase. The average player has never put on a pair of climbing boots outside of the quest they were required for. The fact remains that their only plausible use was in PKing, and considering the majority of players don't PK, or do so so infrequently as to not much care about what the most cost efficient footwear for PKing is, If renders the argument null and void.

[hide]

[/hide]

Like I said, that's a tiny fraction of the playerbase. The average player has never put on a pair of climbing boots outside of the quest they were required for. The fact remains that their only plausible use was in PKing, and considering the majority of players don't PK, or do so so infrequently as to not much care about what the most cost efficient footwear for PKing is, If renders the argument null and void.

the pking community is in noway a small fraction of t he player base, runehead gives 64,000 seperate accounts for p2p pking clans, and that doesnt even include RSOF clans. if we assume 1.5 million members, thats 4.2%. If we assume each of thoughs accounts has atleast 50 climbing boots, thats 144,000,000,000 (144 bill) coming into the economy. And the clan community represents a minority of the pking community.

DM0Yq2c.png

You are making assumptions about other players without any sources or any justifiable reason to do so. Not only is the player killing player base larger than you think, Climbing Boots are regularly used other than PKers.. they are a cheap dispensable item that many others (besides Player Killers) have used.

A few players will make buttloads that they'll never use, but that's it.

I seriously doubt that players who have most likely magnified their bank worth considerably will not spend their newly found wealth. Assuming that they won't is silly.

cgknightofroundsorigina.jpg

99 Hits, Attack, Strength, Defence, Mage, Summoning, Slayer, Ranged, 96/99 Prayer

And well, mod mark running away? guess what? YOU SCREWED UP, ADMIT IT, APOLOGIZE. That's what a deacent lead designer would have done 30 minutes after the update, after spending the last 30 minutes looking for how to make it right. Running away makes this even worse.

This is the saddest part. Not only do they mess up an easy, though unnecessary, rebalance they refuse to admit afterwards that they made a mistake. Making excuses, lying, giving poor analogies and offering platitudes does not rally player confidence.

Carpe_Deus.png

qkpY.png

I seriously doubt that players who have most likely magnified their bank worth considerably will not spend their newly found wealth. Assuming that they won't is silly.

well some of the merch clan leaders who got tipped off by jmods to this update probably have no need of it...

but for the average pker, yes that money will be gone in seconds.

DM0Yq2c.png

This is the saddest part. Not only do they mess up an easy, though unnecessary, rebalance they refuse to admit afterwards that they made a mistake. Making excuses, lying, giving poor analogies and offering platitudes does not rally player confidence.

Agreed. One of the concerns that players have been voicing in the past years is how really out of touch the developers and Jagex mods are with its players. The update we have at hand here is clearly representative of that, when they poorly misrepresent the actual price of a single item which has led to catastrophic implications :-|

cgknightofroundsorigina.jpg

99 Hits, Attack, Strength, Defence, Mage, Summoning, Slayer, Ranged, 96/99 Prayer

well some of the merch clan leaders who got tipped off by jmods to this update probably have no need of it...

but for the average pker, yes that money will be gone in seconds.

I agree that the average PKer would turn around and spend that money quickly. However the average PKer is not going to have a big enough stack for it to really matter. The people I was meaning were thouse who already have huge cash piles sitting in their banks. These are the people who were most likely to have hoarded the boots. They already have more money than they can use. So they'll just have more coins gathering dust in their banks.

Concerning the percentage of PKers to other players. If we assume the population of the PKing community is around 4.2% of the total community as stated, that means the 4.2% of the community has potential to have stocks of climbing boots. However not ever PKer uses climbing boots. Richer PKers are likely not to. Also, there are a lot of players who, if they lost their boots would just run to the sherpa to get another pair rather than amass them in their banks, or just have a few pairs rather than a stack. So let's say that maybe a third of those players have more than 50 pairs. (please keep in mind I am speculating and not stating this as fact.) So a third of 64,000 is about 21,300, which is about 1.5% of the population. So let's remover the radical factors which are the players whose cash piles are already so huge as to never possibly be used, and whittle it down to about 1%. That leaves roughly 13,000. Now let's estimate that the average number of boots per player among those 13,000, is oh i dunno, maybe 350. That comes out to a cash influx of about 204.75B. That's an average of about 15.75M per person. If you split that pot between the entirety of the 1.5M players, each person would get a whopping 136.5K. I don't know about you, but I don't get out of bed for 136K.

Catastrophic? Get real.

[hide]

[/hide]