"The more difficult your clue, the greater your reward! "

Matok

Last week, when the TT update was released, i re-read the TT rewards page and bumped into this statement:

Each clue scroll casket will offer at least one item that is unique to treasure trails, but you may also find normal items, like ore and herbs,

in your casket at the end of a trail. Also, the more difficult your clue, the greater your reward!

This short sentence raises 2 questions:

What's behind "the more difficult your clue" ?

What's behind "the greater your reward" ?

Is it just about the clue level? well,in this case they could just simply say:" the higher your clue level is the greater the rewards".

So, what if not?

what if there is some sort of algorithm to calclulate trail difficulty and rewards?

Implementing such an algorithm isn't a big deal.

A simple approach can be: more steps = more difficult.

A more complicated approach can divide clue types into catergories(coordinates,emote,puzzels and so on..) where each class has

"difficulty points" which will be summed in the end of the trail.

Another approach can assign each and every clue "difficulty points" which, again, will be summed at the end of the trail.

There are many other ways to do it, the question is: is it there?

and what's behind "the greater your reward" ?

Is it just about rewards slots - the more difficult is your clue the more rewards you'll get.

Or maybe the rewards are also divided into categories (like third age items are) where the trial difficulty increases the chance of getting a high level class item.

Again, there are plenty of ways to do it, the question remains, is it there?

Did they bother to implement it or they simply rely solely on the pseudo-random number generator to do its thing.

My long TT experience suggests the later.

And still,if it is not there, why not implement it?

What do you think?

Makes perfect sense, although I did think they had this before the update (I guess not).The greater your reward means higher value reward and/or double unique rewards I guess. I should think there's also an algorithm for difficulty of clue, because length of clue != difficulty; you could have an 8 step clue of maps, or a 4 step clue of puzzle boxes/deep wildy coords/orb scans.

@demo Yeah I can see that, but it would make sense to go deeper than just 'Level 1, 2, 3, and 4 clue scrolls give different rewards', but with Jagex..... who knows

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

It's not proof but: I've had a clue that was mostly coordinates, which meant fighting wizards and venturing to the wildy, which gave a crap reward. Yet i've had one where it was nothing but crate, map, emote, etc... with a robin hood hat at the end!

So right now i just think it refers to the level of clue and the better rewards of each level.

29y32nr.png

Snipersxope.png

Firemaking cape 12/22/08 & Range cape 10/07/09

Quest cape 12/10/09 & Agility cape 8/13/10

Pretty much what everyone else had mentioned, that Jagex is simply saying the higher level the clue is the greater the reward. Shame because i've gotten some pretty annoying clues with 10k-20k at the end =(

Didn't a jmod mention somewhere in a QA that longer clues do give better rewards? Meaning a lvl 3 clue that finishes in say 5 steps would on average give worse reward than a lvl 3 that took 7 steps.

It vaguely rings a bell but I'm not sure if its correct.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I had a 6 step elite clue yesterday, a scan map near nardah, then a compass map near nardah, then a celtic knot, then a puzzlebox, then a scan map near gutanoth, then a compass near gutanoth (Both the scans and compass clues were 5 squares apart..., took me 15 mins to solve)

I got 191k

The one before that had 0 celtic knots but had 6 compass clues, 2 of which were in chaos tunnels 2 of which were in elven lands -.- got me 131k (took roughly 50 mins)

The one before that gave me 3 celtic knots, 1 compas, 1 scan and 3 puzzleboxes and gave me 439k. (took roughly 30 mins)

Looks like the more knot puzzles the better the reward.

But as has been pointed out it think they were referring to the levels of the clues.

jupjup.png[~Visit my Slayer Blog~]jup.png

rvedit2.png

Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections.~unknown~

I had a lvl 4 clue with mostly lvl 50+ wild point arrows and 5 knots(there easy tbh) and im assuming Jagex thinks wild and there new knots are hard yet my reward was less then 300k. Then earlier that day i had a 4 step clue lvl 3 and i got rune trim pl8 and sara d body. So I'm guessing they meant the clue levels.

It's meant by the level of the clue. I'll give you an example showing that it's not based on the difficulty of the clue hunt itself based on two level 3 clues I did today from my Nech task.

First Clue: Ardy map, Legends map, Ardy map, puzzle, anagram, Lumber map, Uri LOOT: 500k

2nd Clue: Uri, Ardy map, Coord(sara), Coord(sara), Coord(zammy), Coord(sara) LOOT: 28k

This is just today as an example. I could post a ridiculous number of examples as I am sure many other players could. It isn't just getting the lucky or unlucky clue that is the outlier of the believed correlation.

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

if it does mean anything beyond the level of the clue they had better have those darn celtic knots at the top

What's up with people thinking Celtic Knot puzzles are hard/not liking them? Personally, after I got my first knot puzzle, I was hooked. It was fun, it was easy, and I wanted MORE. Now on my second elite clue I had 4 celtic knots and it was a great time. The whole clue took me 34 minutes and I came out with Armadyl Chaps and a Penguin Staff. :thumbsup:

99 HP, Attack, Strength, Defence, Summoning, Ranged, Herblore, Prayer, Agility, Magic, Slayer, Fletching, Fishing, Woodcutting, Mining, and Thieving.

Jagex'd out of my untrimmed hp cape on 6/14/2011.

I would have like to have thought that the level 3 or 4 clues that have a variety of different clues, puzzles, coordinates and are fairly lengthy would rightly have the best rewards, but its always referred to the grades.

smallerawesomesig.png

EU Leader | | CE Retired Admin | | TKO Retired Member | | SE Retired Member

To everyone posting single clue results- it's irrelevant in this discussion. Even if jagex confirmed this to be true it'd still be feasible to get one of the louzyest rewards from a particularly hard clues and one of the best rewards from a particularly easy clue, so no single clue could ever prove this. I do believe also that it's one item per clue step, much like barrows chests seem to be the total drops from that particular run, but a bit modified(in terms of large kc). Also it's doubtful that this works linearly and that you have any power to control what your reward will be, so it's not really helpful to even discuss it. As for the guaranteed TT rewards, they came down just as i imagined, my last 3 elites being blue firelighters, nardah scrolls and sara arrows, atleast the elites have much higher base value than other clues(around 150k).

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

Didn't a jmod mention somewhere in a QA that longer clues do give better rewards? Meaning a lvl 3 clue that finishes in say 5 steps would on average give worse reward than a lvl 3 that took 7 steps.

It vaguely rings a bell but I'm not sure if its correct.

i do believe it somewhere along this line, i also think that the rewards are calculated according to their hi-alch value,not GE.

Thats why a 6-7 steps clue will usually yeald rune items (plate,legs) while for shorter you'll get lesser items.

Agreed, it's impossible for the reward to be based off GE prices. I've been camping Hellhounds for lvl 3s and I'll start keeping a log.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

I agree on thinking that they only mean level 1, 2, 3 and 4.

I have never noticed longer clues or clues with more annoying puzzles (coordinates/puzzle boxes) having better rewards.

Im with this statement. I had a clue last me 3 hours, 3 Puzzle boxes, 3 deep wildy clues and a Uri. my reward was a Rune longsword, Black dragonhide top and 8 purple sweets. Not exactly rewarding.

Popoto.~<3

if it does mean anything beyond the level of the clue they had better have those darn celtic knots at the top

What's up with people thinking Celtic Knot puzzles are hard/not liking them? Personally, after I got my first knot puzzle, I was hooked. It was fun, it was easy, and I wanted MORE. Now on my second elite clue I had 4 celtic knots and it was a great time. The whole clue took me 34 minutes and I came out with Armadyl Chaps and a Penguin Staff. :thumbsup:

I had an elite with 4 celtic knot puzzles and I got, iirc, some biscuits, some tuna potatoes and a dragon dagger.

usually in a long clue i think "mg i better get something good for this"

and then i get crap

but the clues i get something good in.....are usually decently quick

StarViv.png