Is Anyone Playing Dungeoneering for Fun?

DeeKay

Here's my thought:

Deny it as much as you like, Runescape eventually comes down to grinding. There are quests, there are minigames, there's group activities, but there comes a time (usually around level 80) where advancement of your avatar can only be achieved by doing a repeatable task X amount of hours. It's an undeniable conclusion that players who play for a few years eventually come to.

So, a few months ago, we get a whole new fancy skill - which is huge, it's like a game in itself (and you'll soon understand what I mean) - that takes all that grinding, and gives it a purpose. So what players do? Grind it as well! New tactics emerge, formulas that define methods of optimal exp/hour/floor are created, ways of unveiling a floor quickly are thought up - everything that avoids what the developers were aiming for. Now, I'm sure as hell don't know what the developers were aiming for, but I did play a few games other than Runescape in my past, and the best genre to describe Dungeoneering would be RTS (real-time strategy). That includes some ground-braking games like Age of Empires, Starcraft and Diablo - I know there are more and better games to match the definition, but these are the most memorable ones.

Back to Runescape, Dungeoneering is pretty much it, with some necessary changes to suit it to a small group game - you start with nothing, slowly improving your characters, overcoming challenges and reach the climax of the stage by fighting and defeating a boss. It's a race to perfection that will be tested by the final fight. The fun is the process, the boss is the reward.

Pain is, no one appears to give two ****s about fun - the guideline is: If I can complete a floor in an hour and 15 minutes, there's no reason for me to dwell in one for two hours for nearly the same experience. Normally I wouldn't complain, do what you wanna do, but people like myself are by-products of the method above because we can't find any players that think alike.

Since the occult floors release, (I believe that) it seems rushing got a good blow, with bosses too tough to be defeated by running in with just your bound weapon, and the enemies powerful enough to slaughter single players running through rooms without the rest of their team. So the future might not be grim.

Anyhow, I was wondering how many players agree. Surely, I'm not the only one playing to have a bit o' good times?

zj7y4z.gif

DeeKay.png

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play dungeoneering purely for fun. There's no reason not to unless you're a real game freak. :P

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

i play for fun, always went with my friends and like once or twice with random people in the beginning. but now my computer sucks and wont let me play without freezing in it

The once was a mexican called pepsi,

Or maybe it's just he had Hep C,

He was a pretty cool bro,

Bros generally are you know,

He hailed from the land of 'taters,

He was known to hate many-a-hater,

He likes a girl named Lacey,

His thoughts about her are kind of racy,

And also his dad likes to [rooster].

Why can't someone both rush and have fun? I have a few friends who are over 93 dungeoneering, are members of DG Elites, and love the skill. I get a kick out of being efficient and fast, so I enjoy rushing and trying to maximize my exp/h. That goes for all skills.

But besides that, I'd much prefer to rush with a good team than "have fun" with a world 117 team. I honestly believe that it's impossible to have fun dungeoneering if you're not with friends or a good, experienced team.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

I'd much prefer to rush with a good team than "have fun" with a world 117 team. I honestly believe that it's impossible to have fun dungeoneering if you're not with friends or a good, experienced team.

I think for the majority of people thats true, Teams that are made of people you've just met usually suck in my experience and likely most other peoples too. I have more fun soloing then with a group of strangers.

-- 2001 Starter --

moki.png

Oh quit lieing, half of you don't play for fun and there's no need to lie about it too.

I don't play for fun, since I don't really see fun in teammates frustrating you, doors requiring you to make pots to open etc taking way too long, annoying boss monsters, there are just too many things that annoy me.

And yes I'm grinding it 'till I have my rapier and frost dragons unlocked, but who cares, if I wanna play for fun I'll do a skill I enjoy.

(PS dont think I'm a dung haters, it's actually a creative skill, unlike runecrafting etc.)

ooh eeh ooh ahah, ting tang wallawallabingbang m8

There's something about Dungeoneering that makes me want to play it all the time, even though I'm not really interested in the rewards. I usually play in W117 and quit if it's not a rush, but when we're advancing through new rooms at a decent speed, there's something ejoyable about it that I can't explain. Slow dungeons like the ones you mentioned in the opening post are horrible =/ If I wanted to spend ages killing monsters I don't need to, that could be done in the rest of Runescape

Also, how is dungeoneering even remotely related to an RTS game?

Starcraft:

You control your coorperative army from a top down perspective with a view of the whole map, gathering resources, building crap, gathering an army. You verse another similarly powerful side who, even when as an NPC, is a varying, often unpredictable, and hard to defeat opponent.

Dungeoneering:

You control yourself, and try to control your likely uncooperative teammates who decide its fun to make full fractice in a 5:5 small and ragequit because you happened to kill a dinosaur. Your against randomly generated map full of repetative puzzles and stale enemies, and then reach the boss, who is likely just as boring.

O.O

I really only play Dungeoneering for fun. Have level 83 already and can still count the number of times I've been in 117 on my fingers. This skill simply isn't worth doing with people you don't know. I have a lot of friends that have a great range of levels, and being on Skype we simply do dungeons a lot faster than any 117 team could do. Plus, we're laughing and planning out the floor, which really makes it fun. I can see why Heim crabs are in the game; because Jagex had a lot of fun making this skill.

Some people think its fun getting max exp as fast as possible.

Some think its fun to do a dungeon not 100% efficient but good enough.

I like both, what I don't like are idiots who ragequit because they died. Naturally it wasn't their fault they died either.

I think dg is fun but i do other activities (clan wars, MH) which i find more fun.

The most fun part of a dg though is finishing it quickly and smoothly. I love the feeling of finishing 30min larges.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

I like to play dungeoneering, but as people have said before me, only with friends or solo. W117 is just... evil. Yes, the rudeness and stupidness of it's population has seeped into the hardware and created a monstrosity. W117 users, beware, the end is nigh!

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

I like to play dungeoneering, but as people have said before me, only with friends or solo. W117 is just... evil. Yes, the rudeness and stupidness of it's population has seeped into the hardware and created a monstrosity. W117 users, beware, the end is nigh!

If w117 were a piece of art, it would be poop in a can

pc_poop%20can.jpg

The idiocy of 117 is simply astounding

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

I play for fun, then went I want and item, I.E Tome of Frost, I'll grind.

I enjoy the skill even when I'm grinding so, it's really always for fun :thumbup:

Also, I don't see W117 as bad. I go there, wait a bit then find a team. I've not had any problems with the team either D:

WorldOfAVR_Part1_Avacyn_ajg5pfqs0fs.png