What language do you think in?

Socc

Speaking English, I think in English.

Speaking Japanese, I think in Japanese.

Speaking French, I think in French.

Speaking German, I think in German.

Speaking Polish, I think in Polish (even though this language is the hardest thing I've ever attempted to learn).

Yeah, so it depends on what I am doing.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

English and Swedish during periods of time. For half a year, I think in English, even if I speak a lot of Swedish during that half year. Then for a few months I think in Swedish. It's pretty random really, but it's over somewhat long stretches of time. I'm thinking in Swedish at the moment even though I've been in Switzerland speaking German and English for the past 2 months or so.

[insert birds flying in a circle here]

Yes, that sig was annoying.

I think in almost-thoughts and vaguenesses.

This. Then after a while I put it to English.

Pretty sure everybody does this. Conversations would be pretty awkward otherwise.

2009rb9.jpg

I think it's really fascinating that people can switch languages so easily. I studied french for two years in high school and had to translate all of my thoughts from french to english before understanding them.

Socc.png

Socc | 99 Magic | 95/99 Range | 99 Defence | 99 Hitpoints | 96/99 Summoning |Join SODB for some monster Slayin! |

I sometimes think in french but mostly it's in English. I'm pretty sure it has to do with how much you've read and written in a language that decides how much you think in it because it's a matter of vocabulary - the more you have the more eloquent your thoughts will be.

I learned math in French so I count in French out loud, but in my head it's in English :unsure:

hiccup.png

Guest Mrmegakirby

I think it's really fascinating that people can switch languages so easily. I studied french for two years in high school and had to translate all of my thoughts from french to english before understanding them.

You really need to be fluent, and use the language quite often to begin to 'think' in it. I've been studying it for about 4 years now, and not fluent in it yet, simply too many words to learn.

In my opinion you don't know a language until you catch yourself thinking in it without trying.

That's what a legendary (and I mean legendary) Latin teacher at my school said. You know a language when you can translate to and from it without having to think, without having to do it word by word, and thus you can think in it.

I'm not really sure where the subconscious translation comes in when I hear Chinese and respond in English though. Do I hear the Chinese, translate it to English, and form a response in English, or do I hear the Chinese, form a response in Chinese, and translate it to English? Or are the two one and the same in my mind? Hmm.

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

My mother tongue is spanish, so most of the time I think in it.

But frecuently I catch myself thinking (and sometimes talking alone) in English, which doesn't surprise me because I use it as much as Spanish in a daily basis.

16185_s.gif

English. I find it strange thinking of thinking in a different language tbh considering I've only thought in English, and even if I speak in a different language I tend to think in English still, which shows how limited I am at speaking that language. <_<

j0xPu5R.png

I asked a friend this a while back and he told me he doesn't think in any language. Just thinks in thoughts, or something.

I don't really understand but he was being fully serious.

Doomy edit: I like sheep

I asked a friend this a while back and he told me he doesn't think in any language. Just thinks in thoughts, or something.

I don't really understand but he was being fully serious.

Well, it could be possible. He could just think visually, meaning eg. instead of thinking of the word pineapple you would think of the image of a pineapple.

j0xPu5R.png

Heh, I can remember my advanced French class asking the teacher which language he thought in, as he was fluent in French, Italian, Spanish and German and he replied it depended on which language he was currently speaking which I think would be pretty cool, switching between two or three languages pretty much at will.

I think in English, as it's my mother tongue. Still use Scottish slang in my thoughts as well as my speech though.

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

• 1 month later...

If I'm speaking in English (which I am for the vast, vast majority of the time) I'll think in English. However, there have been times where I think in Spanish or German while talking to someone in those languages. :P

One time, while I was just starting to learn Spanish, I was alone and thinking to myself, and then for some reason thought a few sentences in Spanish. I actually had to translate them to English afterwards (you'd think I'd be able to grasp it immediately, since I thought it, but no), and it turned out to be exactly relevant to what I was thinking. That was a funny moment for me. :D

Edit: Something else that I don't think anyone's mentioned here is how there seems to be (at least for me) a "switch" for different languages. Let's say I'm speaking to someone in German (my mom or somebody) and someone else is walking by and asks me a question in English. I'll understand the question, of course, but I'll respond in the language that I was just talking in. Another thing is true about speaking in another language: When I'm talking in another language, and the other person says something in English but then continues on in the other language, my brain won't understand what they're saying because it keeps trying to process the English as another language. So if I'm talking to someone in Spanish and they go "Entonces quiero ir a la casa... it was boring," I wouldn't understand the "it was boring" part for a few seconds. The same is true for printed text: If I'm reading a book or article in another language and English comes up, I won't understand the English for a little while until my brain recognizes that it isn't Spanish or German (depending on what I'm reading).

So, basically Earthysun is Jesus's only son.

earthysig3.jpg

earthynorris.jpg

awwwwuo6.jpg

wootsiggiedagainhw5.jpg

algftw.jpg

In my mother tounge ofcourse. But sometimes, I am trying to think in English. That's mostly when there's none who I can talk with and I am in mood to use English :)

CSF leader

therisingsigfx0.png

1dedecekefb.jpg

Holy [cabbage], i thought about this thread and it was in English.

I guess when im typing/talking English i think in English.

2egffxf.png

[hide]

Felix, je moeder.

Je moeder felix

Je vader, felix.

Felix, je oma.

Felix, je ongelofelijk gave pwnaze avatar B)

Felix, je moeder.

[/hide]

I sometimes think in french but mostly it's in English. I'm pretty sure it has to do with how much you've read and written in a language that decides how much you think in it because it's a matter of vocabulary - the more you have the more eloquent your thoughts will be.

I learned math in French so I count in French out loud, but in my head it's in English :unsure:

I usually count in numbers in my head

Like 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

2egffxf.png

[hide]

Felix, je moeder.

Je moeder felix

Je vader, felix.

Felix, je oma.

Felix, je ongelofelijk gave pwnaze avatar B)

Felix, je moeder.

[/hide]