Tip.It Times - 5th September 2010

Racheya

Runescape wasn't always like this.

Actually, it pretty much was. It has been for as long as I've been playing and it has been for as long as you've been playing (since '06, right?). I guess I can't speak for the RSC days, but I think it's pretty safe to say you're remembering a time that just doesn't exist. :unsure:

Also, what jettrider said.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good first article (probably best for the first Times after RuneFest to have a recap like that), old recycled topic for second article, decent DYK

How is it a recycled topic, when nobody ever considered the idea? Look around you. How many people on RS have a "journey > destination" mentality? If you say this has been brought up many times before, then show me the "many times". I wanna see how many people out there, in the past few years, have considered the same idea. Especially on fan sites, where playing for the sake of fun is highly discouraged/completely ignored/not even thought of in the first place.

Sure, I'd be glad to.

http://www.tip.it/runescape/index.php?times=471

http://www.tip.it/runescape/index.php?times=455

http://www.tip.it/runescape/index.php?times=443

http://www.tip.it/runescape/index.php?times=420

http://www.tip.it/runescape/index.php?times=414

Those are another five articles on the same topic written for the Times in the past half year. I don't need to go into "the past few years" or even to other fansites.

I don't doubt that you wrote the article using your own opinions and observations. I am merely pointing out that we have this same topic explored once a month, with little new material and few new opinions being presented each time.

Ah, thanks for the links. Quite glad to see I'm not the only one in fact. Still, this isn't a recycled topic yet. Until any damage is done in the current "standard" mentallity, it's always fresh for debate, and debate on this is needed.

Re: When Achievement Is Worth More Than Fun

Quite simply...the change happened with the introduction of Capes of Accomplishment =\

Heck, even Jagex has continued to buy into the 'blind grind' mentality by introducing Dungeoneering :shame:

After all, what skill can you think of where you are basically pushed into rushing through as quickly as possible to maximize your xp...and if you DARE solo and take time to harvest all the resources you are PENALIZED for it :blink:

As long as people are only concerned with "I've got more capes than you, nub"....there really isn't much any of us can do :wall:

Personally...I usually find the journey is much more interesting than the destination :rolleyes:

-EvilBunnieLady

Well the fact is, some people aren't glad with those capes. They go for 200mil exp and what not, from my point of view it's borderline masochism. The capes may be a potential factor but not the main reason.

signaturemw.png

The second article needs two words to explain. Skill Capes. They ruined the mentality of Runescape. They started the trend of grinding levels instead of levelling for fun.

I don't buy this at all. I don't think you're implying that people didn't grind before skill capes came out because that would be silly statement to make, but I also don't agree that they've ruined any part of RuneScape. If anything, it has given players a pretty cool reward for working hard at a certain skill, which makes the game more enjoyable.

Also, the first article is the first article I've thoroughly enjoyed from the Times in awhile. Perhaps because it was some actual journalism instead of someone's day dreams about RuneScape's past conjured up while they were afk-ing a skill. Good job Ts.

There are two facts to make. Before skill capes, the two majority reasons for doing a skill would be for money or for fun. post-skill capes, the reasons for doing so also include doing the skill for the cape. Money was often the deciding factor, as if a skill didn't make money, people would not train it, thus making the item produced go up in price, making the skill profitable again. It formed a balance. But with skill capes, that balance was thrown out. People not making money would stop, but they would be replaced by those who just want a cape. You could then say that the money making was still not fun, but now that the skilling makes less money, people have to make money else-were which takes up the time they could have used to have fun.

Basically, in modern RS, to skill you need money, to make money you need to skill. An endless cycle.

In older RS, you could skill to make money, they do random things such as mini-games and quests.(which at the time didn't HAVE to make money or skilling easier to be popular)

Now this is a generalisation and there will be exceptions, but for a general rules it is truth. Skillcapes drove the money out of skilling which drove the fun out of runescape.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

It wasnt an awkward walk at all. I was hoping to give them the box before getting jumped by security :)

And I told Paul it was a Random Event gift :) But the mic didnt pic it up...

And thanks for the compliment... Weird thing is; this is the first article where I feel I didn't do justice to the subject I'm writing about...

I liked it because it was original and summed up all the events of Runefest into one article. Before the article I had only picked up on little snippets of information about runefest, that's why I was looking foward to this one.

dangsig.png

By popular demand, this signature is back- however I currently do not have a blog up at the moment and if I did I wouldn't update it. Sorry, the sig links to nowhere :( .

Before I continue with the After-party and the Goodbye-party, I'd like to give a special comment to the people who claim this was GeekFest, the people that claimed they would've gone if they knew it was free, the people that demand a Flagstaff be released for everyone, and even the people that complained that the prices of the food and drinks were too high.

Shut the hell up! Please. You were not there, and if you truly believed it would be the entire cast plus extra's from "Revenge of the Nerds" attending the event, you were probably not wanted there anyway. It reeks of jealousy, get over it.

sorry, i don't read the tip.it times for this lowly settling-of-scores by a "reflected author" who makes mistakes on purpose because "it should make you read it twice..."

get over yourself. I don't see any reason why your articles should be chain-published to feed your ego. Den's contributions to the runefest thread makes me wonder why he wasn't the one to write the tip.it times article on the topic (I'll freely assume he wasn't asked, it was invariably " your job").

sorry, articles from other locations (Hi Stokenut and WG) were already published in August, were more personal accounts of the happenings, and to put it bluntly, better reads. tip.it times beaten at their own game...

If you have a yak, you know the DYK. if you don't have a yak, fewer know that an imp can bank two items, also from pvp worlds, with (i believe) 71 hunter.

First, about the RuneFest thread: I totally agree with everything you said, because RuneFest was spectacular! =D I wish I had known you were having dinner with Indy and Caz, I might have tried to find some way to barge in, I needed something to do for the last few hours before the night-before party. And I can fully support the fact that he was there, as I'll show a picture of some of us on the London Eye...

Arroweyes.png

There is way too much stuff to say about RuneFest for me to try to add any myself, I'll be typing for hours =P. But I agree completely with the achievements v. fun article. Just today, I had an argument with another person as to why I liked using herbicide and upgrading my Dungeoneering class ring, and all he said was "enjoy failing" because I wasn't getting the most money or herblore experience for my time. For me, however, I just like doing those things.

It wasnt an awkward walk at all. I was hoping to give them the box before getting jumped by security :)

And I told Paul it was a Random Event gift :) But the mic didnt pic it up...

And thanks for the compliment... Weird thing is; this is the first article where I feel I didn't do justice to the subject I'm writing about...

You should have dressed up as one of the random event character, and mimic one of their entry scene, then no one would questions your authenticity ....

Great article one the first one, I would really like to go if they ever do one in Canada.

Second article was more of an opinion, and I think its been discussed in the forum various times. I agree with some extent what the author means, but while we grind, we usually do other stuff anyways like chatting to other people on RS to help pass the time. To me, that's pretty fun, and many people do take breaks now and then with other fun RS activities when they want something different.

a happy Runescaper

[

sorry, i don't read the tip.it times for this lowly settling-of-scores by a "reflected author" who makes mistakes on purpose because "it should make you read it twice..."

Sorry, we dont have to put up with the whole geekfest thing, it's a valid point and the author has his right to reflect about his personal experiences.

Before I continue with the After-party and the Goodbye-party, I'd like to give a special comment to the people who claim this was GeekFest, the people that claimed they would've gone if they knew it was free, the people that demand a Flagstaff be released for everyone, and even the people that complained that the prices of the food and drinks were too high.

Shut the hell up! Please. You were not there, and if you truly believed it would be the entire cast plus extra's from "Revenge of the Nerds" attending the event, you were probably not wanted there anyway. It reeks of jealousy, get over it.

get over yourself. I don't see any reason why your articles should be chain-published to feed your ego. Den's contributions to the runefest thread makes me wonder why he wasn't the one to write the tip.it times article on the topic (I'll freely assume he wasn't asked, it was invariably " your job").

sorry, articles from other locations (Hi Stokenut and WG) were already published in August, were more personal accounts of the happenings, and to put it bluntly, better reads. tip.it times beaten at their own game...

If you have a yak, you know the DYK. if you don't have a yak, fewer know that an imp can bank two items, also from pvp worlds, with (i believe) 71 hunter.

Way to sound like a [bleep]ing [bleep] Nacho trying to have a go at someone who writes articles for free for the amusement of others. Before you go bashing his work how about we see some of yours? Let me put it "bluntly", your a person who feels everything they think is automatically correct, if someone says something your the first to jump in and "correct" them. Maybe you should keep your opinions to yourself and stop having a go at other people, [bleep]ing moron.

This must have been an incredibly compelling article for you to have read it, never mind felt the need to comment on it? I've always been under the impression that a good writer has to be objective in their views and as this was an article and not a blog ... less personal and more informative should be the point.

A friend is one that knows you as you are, understands where you have been, accepts what you have become, and still, gently allows you to grow. – William Shakespeare

Lunna_Dawn.png

“Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck.”
Dalai Lama XIV

Settling scores? Making mistakes? Just because you do not have the intellect to understand what I wrote, means it is a mistake. Obviously you feel insulted that you did not get to be there, and are lashing out. Stop it, it does not become you.

Noone was asked, or told, or forced. I was at Runefest to enjoy myself and the company of others first and foremost of all. Writing a review of Jagex' first real life event for players came 2nd, but my opinion was that it would make a good editorial.

100% of the people I have spoken at RuneFest about the Tip.it Times said they were looking forward to my review, and 99% of the people I have spoken to think it is a good article. Your opinion means nothing to me as it has no criticism other then it being latE?

Keep in mind, my stay in London lasted to the 31st of August, so it was impossible for me to get anything before the deadline of last sunday's Times publications. They may have been better (easier?) reads for you, but why would that stop me from writing my own review? Oh yes, its a review, not a diary that I made, which may have come across as less personal.

I must say (I already did in the article) that I have met His Lordship and Stokenut and the other Wilderness Guardians, and they were, along with the rest of the Night Before crowd, the most awesome bunch of people I have ever met.

There was no competition or game of who writes the best piece about RuneFest. EVERYONE felt the need to express how they felt about RuneFest, it was just that awesome...

And I am SO GLAD you weren't there...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Settling scores? Making mistakes? Just because you do not have the intellect to understand what I wrote, means it is a mistake. Obviously you feel insulted that you did not get to be there, and are lashing out. Stop it, it does not become you.

Noone was asked, or told, or forced. I was at Runefest to enjoy myself and the company of others first and foremost of all. Writing a review of Jagex' first real life event for players came 2nd, but my opinion was that it would make a good editorial.

100% of the people I have spoken at RuneFest about the Tip.it Times said they were looking forward to my review, and 99% of the people I have spoken to think it is a good article. Your opinion means nothing to me as it has no criticism other then it being latE?

Keep in mind, my stay in London lasted to the 31st of August, so it was impossible for me to get anything before the deadline of last sunday's Times publications. They may have been better (easier?) reads for you, but why would that stop me from writing my own review? Oh yes, its a review, not a diary that I made, which may have come across as less personal.

I must say (I already did in the article) that I have met His Lordship and Stokenut and the other Wilderness Guardians, and they were, along with the rest of the Night Before crowd, the most awesome bunch of people I have ever met.

There was no competition or game of who writes the best piece about RuneFest. EVERYONE felt the need to express how they felt about RuneFest, it was just that awesome...

And I am SO GLAD you weren't there...

BANG.

Tbh What Psi said

Either way i enjoy both articles.

But the second one i must say although yes most players do just level there skills but thats there interpretation of fun. I know i enjoy leveling up certain skills more than others. And that making some money is fun too.

2880_s.gif

[spoiler=Clans]Current Events Leader of Tal Shiar Alliance

Current Raid Leader of Wilderness Guardians

Current Old School Power Ranger of Team Power Rangers

Current Member of Clan Europe

Ex Member of Team Dark Legacy (R.I.P)

Ex Paladin of Old Age Militos Deci

Ex Leader of New Age Militos Deci

Ex Early Veteran of Pk Masters (R.I.P)

Way to sound like a [bleep]ing [bleep] Nacho trying to have a go at someone who writes articles for free for the amusement of others. Before you go bashing his work how about we see some of yours? Let me put it "bluntly", your a person who feels everything they think is automatically correct, if someone says something your the first to jump in and "correct" them. Maybe you should keep your opinions to yourself and stop having a go at other people, [bleep]ing moron.

how about http://www.tip.it/runescape/index.php?times=411 and http://www.tip.it/runescape/index.php?times=446 ?

I'd much appreciate a qualification of why you perceive me as someone with a superiority complex. If you're simply going by my previous post on this topic, i'd simply like to ensure that i credit the users of tif with the ability to discern fact from opinion themselves. I also assume the intellect of the readership.

let me provide an example:

sorry' date=' i don't read the tip.it times for this lowly settling-of-scores by a "reflected author" who makes mistakes on purpose because "it should make you read it twice..."[/quote']

my opinion is that this is the settling of scores:

I'd like to give a special comment to the people who claim this was GeekFest, the people that claimed they would've gone if they knew it was free, the people that demand a Flagstaff be released for everyone, and even the people that complained that the prices of the food and drinks were too high.

the making of mistakes:

And this:

"BESIDES all of the above, I couldn't find a single thing that I liked about this event." means that I DID like all the stuff mentioned... Apparently some people read right past this and saw this as another critical piece of Jagex, while I can't imagine anyone ever doing a better job...

Yes, I meant to write it in this way, because it should make you read it twice...

let us look at the use of the english language here (it has rules that bind us all) by paraphrasing: "except for all of the above, i didn't like anything about the event ; I have mentioned everything positive about the event.

This must have been an incredibly compelling article for you to have read it, never mind felt the need to comment on it? I've always been under the impression that a good writer has to be objective in their views and as this was an article and not a blog ... less personal and more informative should be the point.

actually, i always read the tip.it times and regularly comment on the discussion topics. a post takes 5 minutes, which in my case were spent fishing ingame.

my opinion on the settling of scores and making of mistakes remains. I clearly understood what you wrote, and your neccessary clarifications due to difuse use of English to convey your point. I have no clue where you insinuate that I wished to go to runefest, feel any need to insult those of you who chose going to runefest or feel the out-lash in your article was aimed at me.

I feel insulted because a publication of a high standard (and to which i've contributed) lashes out at a third party.

for your futher comment on the "genre" of your piece as compared to others, i present you with basic criteria for features: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feature_story

i find it degrading that you assume i see a "best article competition" on the event, again you assume the worst of me. however, i expect all pieces published in the tip.it times to hold a high journalistic standard, just as the rest of tip.it holds a higher standard than these forums.

I'm sorry you find the need to personally insult me for sharing my opinion on your article. Isn't the sharing of honest opinion the form of a discussion topic?

There are two facts to make. Before skill capes, the two majority reasons for doing a skill would be for money or for fun. post-skill capes, the reasons for doing so also include doing the skill for the cape. Money was often the deciding factor, as if a skill didn't make money, people would not train it, thus making the item produced go up in price, making the skill profitable again. It formed a balance. But with skill capes, that balance was thrown out. People not making money would stop, but they would be replaced by those who just want a cape. You could then say that the money making was still not fun, but now that the skilling makes less money, people have to make money else-were which takes up the time they could have used to have fun.

Basically, in modern RS, to skill you need money, to make money you need to skill. An endless cycle.

In older RS, you could skill to make money, they do random things such as mini-games and quests.(which at the time didn't HAVE to make money or skilling easier to be popular)

Now this is a generalisation and there will be exceptions, but for a general rules it is truth. Skillcapes drove the money out of skilling which drove the fun out of runescape.

Yes, indirectly, skill capes could be cited as the demise of skilling for enjoyment, but without the release of those massive money makers like GWD, DKs, and TDs, skill capes would not have had the effect you claim they have had on skilling.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

If I had known attendance was mainly dominated by the higher leveled, more mature, and fun-loving that actually went, I admit I would have showed more interest. I still would not have been able to attend, but I have to say that Jagex did a VERY good job planning the ticket process so that the turnout wouldn't be "noobs."

It was a big gamble, but they got away with both the ticket pricing/reduction scheme AND managed to surpass the highest expectations. I think TS Stormrage has every right to write those couple of sentences. Jagex managed to weed out both inexperienced players and players uncomfortable connecting RuneScape with RL. To clarify, I was not there; I for one would be mortified to be seen in the queue even with lots of other people there :unsure: They did miss some people who couldn't attend based on location or timing, but the ones that did go were the right ones.

2496 Completionist

75 pounds ain't all that much to worry about anyway!

Is it not? That pays for more than a week's rent for me...

To Stormrage:

I live in London and had no desire to go, for a number of reasons.

Yes, I did stereotype the sort of people that would be there - perhaps rightly, according to your withering report most definitely wrongly. But that is my sole grievance with this account - the rant. I enjoyed reading about the event which I had hitherto written off as a waste of a day, when all of a sudden I was confronted with a vitriolic broadside. It was out of character with the rest of the article, which clearly promoted the sense of community engendered in the event's participants, serving no useful purpose at all. It is your opinion that it was not a geekfest, an opinion that is perfectly valid and you are entitled to. But what was the point of striking out at people who suspected that the only people willing to pay £75 would be the diehard (read: "geeky") fans? For the sake of an argument, how are we to know that you're not simply a complete geek yourself?!

A further factor was the cost: to many, £75 may seem a small price to pay for such an event. To me it seemed overpriced and unnecessary. I do not like to throw money around when it could be better spent elsewhere, as I judged it could be, so I didn't. Even if it had been advertised as a free event I suspect I would not have gone, because it really didn't interest me that much. I would not ever have use for a T-Shirt bearing a Runescape slogan, nor do I have particular need of any of the other free gifts given out. My knowledge of programming is not sufficient that I would be likely to care much about the "making of" style talks, whilst I rarely have time to think of things I'd like to see in the game to take my suggestions along. I have never had any desire to dress up as a gaming character. So you see, it just wasn't the right event for me. MMG's allusion that only the most devoted and ardent fans would attend because of the price is foolish - it deliberately and unfairly cut out many fans who are genuinely without the disposable income for the travel and advertised ticket price, purely by an arbitrary monetary figure.

I fully realise that the main focus of the rant was on people who had been vociferously criticising the event, the company and the punters rather than myself, but it spoilt the article and failed to take into account the many reasons people may have had for such criticism in the first place. Maybe it was jealousy, does it matter? Could you not rise above it? Could you not ignore the critics?

Up until your pointless rant I had been impressed at how well-run the event sounded and how much fun you and your fellow participants had.

Edit: Sorry to say, but your abusive responses to tortilliachip on page 2 of this discussion topic seem to suggest nothing of his/her own jealousy, rather that you carry a COLLOSSAL chip on your shoulder because of the alleged stereotyping that has occurred. Apparently the tolerant and respectful response to your tirades must surely be "Shut the hell up!". Still, at least you said "please"...

2nd Article:

This is boring to me now. Why is level hunting so popular, you ask? Well, because it gives players a tangible aim and a means to compare and compete. Simple as that. Sure, I agree that the grind approach seems to be missing the point, but who are we to judge what is fun for other people? If they get their kicks from having a better level than someone else and that constitutes entertainment in their eyes, surely that achieves the very same as your ideas on what "fun" is?

Clans, for example, offer many of the group collaboration/"fun" events that you mentioned. Even solo players can interact and perform activities with their friends, the opportunity is theirs to take. If they don't take it, so be it, but is there really any point in criticising someone else just because they don't play in the way that you, in your seat of Godly wisdom, deem best?

I reply as a collector, a frequent attendee of Sports Card and Memorabilia conventions and Comic cons.

I must say, I found parts of the article downright rude, and shortsighted and elitist at best.

I'm going to address a few of your comments

You were not there, and if you truly believed it would be the entire cast plus extra's from "Revenge of the Nerds" attending the event, you were probably not wanted there anyway.

I've been to countless cons - Sports ones typically are a bunch of men dressed in jerseys with deep wallets and it looks exactly like a sporting event, for the most part, those are not bad, but the sterotypes about sweaty fat guys who smell being at sports card shows? yep? poor hygiene? yep. Those shows bring out the best and worst in the community for dealers and collectors, but my main counterpoint is a comic con. People often dress up and at the last one, you saw everything from Ash (Army of darkness, not the pokemon guy) to Ghostbusters to some winged creature from Labyrinth or dark crystal. Are the conventions full of awesome people? Yes, i've met some cool people at cons, but i've also had enough with other people (iE: People who do not share your interests or women in general) to know a large majority of people would label your average con goer - a nerd, and you know what? we are nerds, and we don't care. I can honestly say i've never seen someone so defensive over a con sterotype. You went to a video game con, you're a nerd, period. stop trying to convince yourself that you're not, because it's a sterotype that comes with con-going. I have to confess, the thought of a runescape con, even made me shudder considering the demographic, and i've seen some pretty crazy anime and comic cons.

It reeks of jealousy, get over it.

Actually typically labeling from con's comes from fairly accurate stereotypes and misunderstandings more than anything.

It also gets tiresome to listen to people saying "I would've gone if I knew it was free".

You must not do many cons, at all. Lets take a look at dragoncon, two hours away from me, had some nice guests like Brandon Routh and Summer Glau - but I didn't go because it would of been $50 to get in on Saturday, The day I could go...Before you call me poor, or a cheapass, let it be known money isn't a thing with me, since I spent triple that between Star Wars Celebration 5, and a nice vintage milla jovovich autograph in the past month knowing full well both guests would be at Dragoncon. Why? Because Dragoncons guest list wasn't strong enough for my interests to get me into the door for the fee. It was a poor opportunity cost to attend.

Some points to consider.

1) Most con's publish the events and itinerary, perks and features well in advance. Example?

http://www.pitofhorror.com/campblood/ <- thats may 2011 with pretty much a finalized guestlist. The end result, I've already set aside some cash in my collecting budget for may 2011. The price for runefest, was steep for a con thats in it's first year with so many vague details, as an avid con-goer - if the thing would of been held an hour from me - I would of waited for details before buying the ticket. I can't blame people for doing that, I also can't blame people for being miffed they refunded the price or made it free. It's a tough economy for some, and the collecting market is feeling the pinch as prices are lower than normal and people are spending less, Had dragoncon of been free, I would of went, but at $50? the opportunity cost just wasn't worth it at all considering I can maximize my collection AND entertainment with known quantities. Blindly pissing away money to support a venue or new con is beyond stupid.

Shut the hell up!

Why should they? I went to a fun smaller con a few months prior, and heard lots of people complaining who were new to conventions, Did I get annoyed? nope, it happens as people encounter and experience things for the first time or two. Perhaps you should lighten the hell up.

~Das

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

stormrage! i know who you are from RF now.

I really thouroughly enjoyed RF. My only regret is not having enough time both before and after RF. I was working until 4am the morning of RF (in cardiff) and didnt have a place to stay the night so ahd to catch my last train home just as RF finished.

next year thats a mistake i will not repeat however.

If anyone was thinking of going this year but ended up not going, then please take the chance next year if you can. Ive not heard a bad review of the day from anyone. perhaps some improvement points... EG storage space as mentoned in the times... but other than that it was a brilliant day, and the attention to detail was astounding. :)

(btw stormrrage, im pingu--2k6 from the clan chat. spoke to you the other day there.)

im a penguin ^^

I'd like to say that Runefest was a one-of-a-kind experience for me, and it was lovely to meet you TS Stormrage.

The attendees of Runefest were far from making it a nerdfest, it was a collection of very diverse people who all share the same interest in Runescape, and were there to have a brilliant time. :)

Brilliant summary of Runefest, and I hope from all the pictures , videos and articles that players read/see/watch, that more players would be more inclined to attend! It is honestly worth every penny!

Cheers! Eggman :D

Get out of here Eggy. :)

=D> The random event box was .......(no word to describe it) =D> but sorry the article does not do Runefest justice it was more like we had become our characters and jumped into the pc screen for the day. Yes we were all nerds running round in real life looking for hidden penguin spys. Having said that I would not have missed meeting everyone for the world. :thumbsup:

For the achievement one: This is a topic I've been thinking about a lot lately, so I was somewhat excited to see an article written on it. But alas, it's just another person complaining and reminiscing about "the good ol' days" or whatever.

Sorry if this seems like spam, I know I've barely posted on these forums but I really wanted to get that out.

my opinion on the settling of scores and making of mistakes remains. I clearly understood what you wrote, and your neccessary clarifications due to difuse use of English to convey your point. I have no clue where you insinuate that I wished to go to runefest, feel any need to insult those of you who chose going to runefest or feel the out-lash in your article was aimed at me.

I feel insulted because a publication of a high standard (and to which i've contributed) lashes out at a third party.

That third party happens to be a considerable part of the demographic of RuneScape (just check out some of the topics on the Runefest forums). If it was just a hand full of people I would not have addressed the issue at all, but a lot of RuneFest go-ers I have spoken with are quite anoyed by the people I "lashed out at".

for your futher comment on the "genre" of your piece as compared to others, i present you with basic criteria for features: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feature_story

i find it degrading that you assume i see a "best article competition" on the event, again you assume the worst of me. however, i expect all pieces published in the tip.it times to hold a high journalistic standard, just as the rest of tip.it holds a higher standard than these forums.

I'm sorry you find the need to personally insult me for sharing my opinion on your article. Isn't the sharing of honest opinion the form of a discussion topic?

Regardless if you find it degrading or not, your comment of "Tip.it being beaten at their own game" has competition written all over it, so at least on that part, I did asume that of you.

But despite the fact that many people still like to think so, the Tip.it Times is not an actual newspaper. We may aspire to have comparable quality, but I know that none of the current writers are on that level, despite the best of efforts. We are not professionals, and write merely for the enjoyment of others. You may not like what you read, but many others do and that is all that matters.

Apparently, some people feel that the rant bit is out of place in the article. You are perhaps right, but it is that emotion that comes up with many RuneFest go-ers when another idiot trolls up to the RuneFest forums, demanding he deserves a Flagstaff too. The same emotions that wash over you when you just planted that same Flagstaff, and people come up to you and start insulting you, calling you nerd, geek, loser or whatever, when they are enjoying the very same game that caused you to decide to go to Runefest. The same goes for the numerous people claiming to have gone if it was free.

I understand money is an issue to some. It is even an issue to me, but I had decided on making the trip to London my holiday for the year anyways. Could Jagex have handled things a little more sensitivly? Yes, I even said so in my article. But I am reminded of a giant festival in my own country. Lowlands (one of europe's biggest) has sold out all of its 70k tickets only three days after ticket sales opened up, without a single band having been anounced to be playing there. Why? Because people know the festival, just in the same way that we know Jagex. Jagex needed to to seperate wheat from chaff some how, and I tend to agree that they did indeed need to. That will without a doubt unleash the comments of elitism, but I can guarantee you that a lot of RuneFesters will agree (so aim those comments to Jagex as well?). And Das, even without you having been at RuneFest, or me having been to some of your cons, you will agree there is a difference between Revenge of the Nerds-type nerds, and the people that attend these cons.

I'm sorry if people felt personally insulted by the rant, most likely it was not even aimed at you. As I said, you are perhaps right that it does not fit with the article, but I felt it neccisary to address the issue, even though it may never properly reach the type of people it was aimed at.

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

I must say, I found parts of the article downright rude, and shortsighted and elitist at best.

As a forum user, and not a forum admin, I agree with that statement. The rant may have had its place in a topic regarding runefest, but on the website in the middle of an article? Completely out of place and unwarranted in my opinion. :mellow:

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

RIP Michaelangelopolous

He shouldn't keep his opinions for himself. He's got as much right to speak up his opinions as you do. It's you who should ignore his post if you're only interested in reading arguments defending the article when you open this thread.

I do partly agree with tortilliachp.

This is boring to me now. Why is level hunting so popular, you ask? Well, because it gives players a tangible aim and a means to compare and compete. Simple as that. Sure, I agree that the grind approach seems to be missing the point, but who are we to judge what is fun for other people? If they get their kicks from having a better level than someone else and that constitutes entertainment in their eyes, surely that achieves the very same as your ideas on what "fun" is?

Clans, for example, offer many of the group collaboration/"fun" events that you mentioned. Even solo players can interact and perform activities with their friends, the opportunity is theirs to take. If they don't take it, so be it, but is there really any point in criticising someone else just because they don't play in the way that you, in your seat of Godly wisdom, deem best?

Why are you assuming that people are grinding for the fun of it? The whole point of the article is that they don't do it for the fun of it, or at least it's not their main goal. You can very well tell that these people aim for some kind of "ultimate account" which they plan using for fun later on, but they never get to the part where they have fun.

No, we shouldn't care about how people like to have fun. But we should start caring when those people start having way too much influence in the progress of the game. See how it's becoming more elitist because of these elite diaries, and a level 120 skill? That's the problem. The game should remain as accessible as possible to everyone who pays for it and therefore contributes to its improvement, and not manipulated by hardcore players/no-lifers that whine all the time just because they can't find anything else to do in real life.

You have the freedom to enjoy the game the way you want. But your freedom still ends where other people's freedom begins.

For the achievement one: This is a topic I've been thinking about a lot lately, so I was somewhat excited to see an article written on it. But alas, it's just another person complaining and reminiscing about "the good ol' days" or whatever.

Sorry if this seems like spam, I know I've barely posted on these forums but I really wanted to get that out.

And you've also barely read the article, this is actuallity I'm dealing with. Don't expect me to take into account random bashing for the lulz.

signaturemw.png