Tip.It Times - 5th September 2010

Racheya

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Liked both the articles, i would have totally gone to runefest had it not been for the flight to England :P

also is it just me or are the did you knows getting easier and easier :/

29bc22o.png

[hide=drops]10 black masks, 39 dragon boots, 21 whip, 9 dark bow, 7 dragon legs, 8 mauls, 3 dragon left half, 2 dragon spear, 2 hexcrest, 1 kbd heads, 10 dragon med, 2 R ammy, 2 granite legs, 1 bandos boots , 1 bandos hilt , 1 bandos chestplate, 1 saradomin sword(ls), 2 dragon claws(ls)(solo)[/hide]

[hide=Viralaether's guide to Mac use]1) take your mac

2) drop it off your roof

3) ??????

4) Profit![/hide]1/7/9 quest cape ||| 5/6/9 all diaries ||| 7/14/9 300 rank MA ||| 4998th to 99 summoning on 2/27/10

I enjoyed both articles, then one about the Runefest was an interesting read, and i would like to be there myself for sure, maybe when i grow up? : )

Regarding the second article, i remember early RuneScape days, i started playing when i was 9 years old, since then i have quited and continued regularly. During my first levels i remember i was playing runescape with all my classmates, we were about 30 people? so 30 noobs mining in falador mine, the "boss" mining mithril, guards killing scorpions with mithril armour the "boss" made, and the rest of us mining in exchange for armour and food, etc. It was really enjoyable, but after some years, a new guy playing maplestory joined the class, and it became the new game. But hell it was boring after the 30 first lvl, and very tedious grinding. Then I and my best mates started playing RS again. We played for a while, i did treasure trails and got some item worth 200k, then i got scammed very hard. And quit RS until 2 years ago, when i have played one month and one month off, etc. Since then its been just hardcore leveling and questing. I guess that's what the game has evolved into, nowadays its much more of a competition than an entertainment...

My lame drops:
6 Effigys
1 D Med - 1 D Dagger
1 Verac's Helmet - 1 Guthan's Platebody

Why even post then ffs? ^^?

I liked the runefest one. This interested me.

"I got approached by Mod Ash (who happens to be a well known Tip.it-er too) about the Tip.it Times. "

Who is he???? O.o

A J mod. :wall:

Owner of a comp cape since February 11th 2012.

Why even post then ffs? ^^?

I liked the runefest one. This interested me.

"I got approached by Mod Ash (who happens to be a well known Tip.it-er too) about the Tip.it Times. "

Who is he???? O.o

A J mod. :wall:

herp derp, you should be :wall: ing yourself. I mean bold, who could it be?

FEARLESStag.jpg
stuff.png

what i'm doing now:

soundcloud.com/student1

If it weren't for 6000 miles separating me and Europe, I would have been there in a second. It's a lot more fun being nerdy when you're surrounded by a thousand other geeks.cool.gif

The second article was alright, but I feel like I've read 50 million articles that say the exact same thing before.

The Runefest one was an interesting read. The first line was a bit cheesy and almost turned me off, the "oh I know this article is fail dudes" part at the end was unnecessary, but the content was good. I've never been to Runefest and doubt I ever will, so I was interested in reading this sort of report.

As for my own article I'd just like to add this. One wise man once said "the journey is more important than the destination". A very true saying I like to remind in these cases.

signaturemw.png

herp derp, you should be :wall: ing yourself. I mean bold, who could it be?

Herp derp, as if anyone's going to reveal that now after keeping it a well hidden secret for years.

Anyway, I'm one of those who would've gone if it wasn't for the flight to London. 75 pounds ain't all that much to worry about anyway!

Nice to know what to expect in other RuneFests though, will try to get there next time!

Profins.png

specty.png

Good first article (probably best for the first Times after RuneFest to have a recap like that), old recycled topic for second article, decent DYK

How is it a recycled topic, when nobody ever considered the idea? Look around you. How many people on RS have a "journey > destination" mentality? If you say this has been brought up many times before, then show me the "many times". I wanna see how many people out there, in the past few years, have considered the same idea. Especially on fan sites, where playing for the sake of fun is highly discouraged/completely ignored/not even thought of in the first place.

signaturemw.png

Really enjoyed the article about Runefest. At first when I heard of Runefest I thought it would be stupid but after hearing so much about it I'm sad I missed out. Sadly even if I wanted to go I probably couldn't have since I'm so far away.

Slayer; it's just what I do.
Thanks Hugger 88 for the awesome siggy!

Click show if you want to see achievements.

TheKoolKandy.png
siggy3s.png
Achievments: Maxed/Comp'd 7th of August 2012. 120 Dungeoneering sometime early december 2011. 99 Slayer achieved October 22nd, 2010. 99 Prayer achieved September 99 18th 2010. Summoning achieved September 14th 2010. 99 Defence achieved May 8th 2010. 99 Constituton achieved April 24th 2010. 99 Attack achieved on January 29th 2010 at 8:00 PM. Questpoint Cape on August 30th 2009.99 Strength (11:47 P.M. August 17 2009).

If possible, I think I'd love to vacation to London for Runefest next summer, or whenever it is next....

Not getting my hopes up however >.>

Yeah, RS is too much about skills and levels and such these days....kinda sad....

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

The second article needs two words to explain. Skill Capes. They ruined the mentality of Runescape. They started the trend of grinding levels instead of levelling for fun.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Great summarisation of Runefest! And truly if you werent there, as stated in this article, then words, pictures and movies couldnt get you even close to the whole ambience of the day; the Mods, the venue, the people attending, all a pleasure to be a part of. (but you did a pretty good job!)

Well deserved rant in the middle there too, I've heard many players and friends slate the whole fact that it went from How Much?? to FREE!! in a matter of days but we all know the common scenario of planning something, people saying theyll come and then youre sat on your lil jack jones with a pile of food the size of a mountain! So yea, I agree with the whole ticket and expense thing! It had to be done to sort the wheat from the chaff

Second article, Im not sure I agree with your theory that most players are in it for the (lvls) glory. There are still many players who are there for the journey and Im happy to be one of those players (3 capes in 3 years is pretty poor in consideration) These players are mostly under the radar, they chat, play around and yes, skill. You can still often find a few friends hanging out in random places, although I do find it annoying that you cant walk with friends thru any part of RS without some random player running up to you and shouting some form of childish comment. These players and even clans, do still exist, the ones created for fun, its just that these players dont shout as loud, run around the place, and take over chat rooms with glorifications of exploits.

A friend is one that knows you as you are, understands where you have been, accepts what you have become, and still, gently allows you to grow. – William Shakespeare

Lunna_Dawn.png

“Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck.”
Dalai Lama XIV

Couldn't agree with the achievement vs fun article more. In fact I have a very similar thread on the RSOF concerning the overemphasis on grinding to 99s. Always nice to see someone who shares my views.

Here it is

"Is Elitism Good?"

Quick find code: 16-17-508-61629707 (on the Runescape forums)

Good first article (probably best for the first Times after RuneFest to have a recap like that), old recycled topic for second article, decent DYK

How is it a recycled topic, when nobody ever considered the idea? Look around you. How many people on RS have a "journey > destination" mentality? If you say this has been brought up many times before, then show me the "many times". I wanna see how many people out there, in the past few years, have considered the same idea. Especially on fan sites, where playing for the sake of fun is highly discouraged/completely ignored/not even thought of in the first place.

Sure, I'd be glad to.

http://www.tip.it/runescape/index.php?times=471

http://www.tip.it/runescape/index.php?times=455

http://www.tip.it/runescape/index.php?times=443

http://www.tip.it/runescape/index.php?times=420

http://www.tip.it/runescape/index.php?times=414

Those are another five articles on the same topic written for the Times in the past half year. I don't need to go into "the past few years" or even to other fansites.

I don't doubt that you wrote the article using your own opinions and observations. I am merely pointing out that we have this same topic explored once a month, with little new material and few new opinions being presented each time.

2496 Completionist

Re: When Achievement Is Worth More Than Fun

Quite simply...the change happened with the introduction of Capes of Accomplishment =\

Heck, even Jagex has continued to buy into the 'blind grind' mentality by introducing Dungeoneering :shame:

After all, what skill can you think of where you are basically pushed into rushing through as quickly as possible to maximize your xp...and if you DARE solo and take time to harvest all the resources you are PENALIZED for it :blink:

As long as people are only concerned with "I've got more capes than you, nub"....there really isn't much any of us can do :wall:

Personally...I usually find the journey is much more interesting than the destination :rolleyes:

-EvilBunnieLady

A rectification and a clarification:

The one that stays ON the balance beam won, of course...

And this:

"BESIDES all of the above, I couldn't find a single thing that I liked about this event." means that I DID like all the stuff mentioned... Apparently some people read right past this and saw this as another critical piece of Jagex, while I can't imagine anyone ever doing a better job...

Yes, I meant to write it in this way, because it should make you read it twice...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

The second article needs two words to explain. Skill Capes. They ruined the mentality of Runescape. They started the trend of grinding levels instead of levelling for fun.

I don't buy this at all. I don't think you're implying that people didn't grind before skill capes came out because that would be silly statement to make, but I also don't agree that they've ruined any part of RuneScape. If anything, it has given players a pretty cool reward for working hard at a certain skill, which makes the game more enjoyable.

Also, the first article is the first article I've thoroughly enjoyed from the Times in awhile. Perhaps because it was some actual journalism instead of someone's day dreams about RuneScape's past conjured up while they were afk-ing a skill. Good job Ts.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Ns, the runefest article was the best article I've read this year. :)

And LOL at the video! You just kinda awkwardly walked up there and gave it to him without a word, haha.

dangsig.png

By popular demand, this signature is back- however I currently do not have a blog up at the moment and if I did I wouldn't update it. Sorry, the sig links to nowhere :( .

It wasnt an awkward walk at all. I was hoping to give them the box before getting jumped by security :)

And I told Paul it was a Random Event gift :) But the mic didnt pic it up...

And thanks for the compliment... Weird thing is; this is the first article where I feel I didn't do justice to the subject I'm writing about...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

I'd like to say that Runefest was a one-of-a-kind experience for me, and it was lovely to meet you TS Stormrage.

The attendees of Runefest were far from making it a nerdfest, it was a collection of very diverse people who all share the same interest in Runescape, and were there to have a brilliant time. :)

Brilliant summary of Runefest, and I hope from all the pictures , videos and articles that players read/see/watch, that more players would be more inclined to attend! It is honestly worth every penny!

Cheers! Eggman :D