Why Do You Play RS Over Other MMOs?

Maze

kids

Does anyone else get as annoyed as I do with how much he uses this word? :unsure:

Kids usually don't like being called kids. ;)

there's just something about how much you use it that annoys me though, I'm not a kid, nor do I act like one. But you tend you ALWAYS use it when talking about people that play Runescape. It's almost as if you view every RS player as a 'Kid". Whether or not you intend to direct it at everyone, it just always feels like you are when I read your posts.

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I probably play RS over any others because it was the first MMO I played, it's free, and it has an interesting sort of charm that others don't. I can't really explain it, but there's something strangely enjoyable about gathering RuneScape pixels.

I completely agree.

there's just something about how much you use it that annoys me though, I'm not a kid, nor do I act like one. But you tend you ALWAYS use it when talking about people that play Runescape. It's almost as if you view every RS player as a 'Kid". Whether or not you intend to direct it at everyone, it just always feels like you are when I read your posts.

That's because most RS players are kids and to say otherwise is to disagree with a fact.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

That's because most RS players are kids and to say otherwise is to disagree with a fact.

But to address EVERYONE as being a kid is just following a Stereotype. While it may be true for a large percentage of people, you shouldn't call everyone it. It'd be like walking up to a Black person IRL, whom you've never met before, and handing them a bucket of chicken. (idk, it's late, and I couldn't think of any real legit examples :P)

whatisrush-1.png

FlowerPower.png

WoW sure has "great" graphics

Way to deliberately find a bad screenshot of WoW. I don't understand why morons try to prove that Runescape has better graphics than WoW. It doesn't. And graphics don't even matter, just admit that Runescape has bad graphics and move on.

Too bad I took that myself :thumbup: (in fact I have some old footage on private on my YouTube channel if you need further proof). Gameplay is infinitely more important than graphics, hence why I chose RS in the beginning. You could have graphics twice as good as Crisis, but in a boxed canyon and the game would suck. Regardless of this, RuneScape on maximum detail looks WAY more detailed (and therefore, imo, better). On top of this, WoW looks twice as cartoonish as your avatar. To put things into perspective, WoW has about N64 graphics (and that's VERY generous) and RuneScape is up to maybe Gamecube quality. Honestly, WoW is outclassed in every single aspect (if not, roughly equal).

Wow, you can move around someone and hold a button or click a rotation of spells! That's like 9001x more difficult than inventory management pvp! And there's so much to do in WoW! There's like... COMBAT.... and pvp (combat) and, and, and arena (combat). Also the class system is so awesome, because if you choose something other than a paladin, you totally don't get wrecked. The quests are AMAZING too. Gathering those bear furs was the greatest storyline matched with the most challenging puzzle EVER. [/sarcasm]

It's so funny to see Blizzard try to make content that's not the exact same thing from the patch before. OMG they added... MORE LEVELS, now I can be level 90... just like every single other person.

You can claim WoW has better graphics all you want, but you're a little over two years behind on that statement having ANY truth. Just because your little guild mates say it's true doesn't make it true. I provided a clear comparison in my post, and you simply posted a screenshot with the EXACT same quality as the WoW half-screenshot I posted. WoW's graphics look like they were thrown together in MS paint by a 12 year old with ADHD in about 15 minutes. That's some pro [cabbage] right there. CLEARLY better than RuneScape's graphics :rolleyes: .

Sure, I may be slightly biased, but at least I provided clear examples unlike you simply making a smug remark under the impression that you know so much more than everyone else. Sorry to break it to you, but being elitist doesn't prove anything you say. inb4 one line, elitist response

^Called it lmao. Also, good job ignoring 75% of my post, you sure showed me :rolleyes:. Learn what an opinion is an get back to me, you senselessly arrogant ignoramus.

Tl;dr: It's so sad to see a browser based Java game beat a high budget downloadable MMO.

Edit:

1r2anb.jpg

zelda8.jpg

Totally not similar.

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

WoW is a huge grindfest, has crap pvp, expensive, and nothing to do once you spend months of your life reaching maxed level. plus its an automatic GEEK label.

LOL. You're seriously calling WoW a grindfest compared to Runescape? Once you hit level 80 (takes about a month) WoW is pure gameplay. Raiding, Battlegrounds, Arena, etc. There's no grinding involved at all. The foundation of Runescape is xp and grinding. You can't even do quests until you reach a pre-requisite grinding amount.

And crap PvP? Ya, Runescape's click-and-wait while inventory managing is so much better than WoW's reflex and rotation-based skill. Oh wait, you're a 12 year old.

RS kids really shouldn't talk about other MMO's. The fact that you even brought up Silk Road is hilarious as well. (Protip: Silk Road is as much of an MMO as Maple Story and all the other awful f2p games)

are you [bleep] kidding me? yes WoW is a grindfest compared to runescape. If i didn't believe it (or if i didn't have multiple level 80 friends from rl) i wouldn't have said so. What is there to do until you reach level 80... hmmm you could go find a necklace for someone (typical blizzard quest)... you could train one of your TWO skills... or you could maybe... GRIND. In runescape there are involved quests, distractions and diversions, a plethora of skills and minigames. yes in runescape you have to meet requirements for a quest. that's why the quest cape is so sought after and level 10's don't go running around with hand cannons, crystal bows, and barrows gloves. it adds a character building dynamic that other games have yet to implement .

I'm not alone with praising runescape's PVP. i still cannot fathom the fact that you are actually bashing someone saying why he plays runescape over another game ON A RUNESCAPE FORUM. you're not even being discreet about it. Calling me a 12 year old? I can't even begin to believe your rudeness over a simple opinion.

RS "kids". oh yes. i must be one of those because its known that runescape players tend to frequent runescape forums (and god forbid- defend their game?1?!?!). I'm not sure what silk road your "pro"fessional self has claimed to have played, but the one i played as early as '07 and the one i returned to in '09 was an epic, involved, and basically gave the same simple-minded quests as world of warcraft. my friends who played WoW actually said they thought silkroad had BETTER graphics. the theif/merch/hunter pvp system was also extremely unique and could be started (and enjoyed) as early as level 20 (forget spending "a month" for level 80 in other games)

[size="5"][font="Georgia"][b]Staking:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#FFFF00"][/color][color="#00FF00"] 4+ mil[/color][/font]
[font="Georgia"][b]Current Status:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#0000FF"] Training defense [/color][/font][/size]

You can't compare WOW and RS graphics. They are different engines, RS graphics are more detailed where is WOW's seem to look better in a different sense.

99 Hunter - November 1st, 2008

99 Cooking -July 22nd, 2009

99 Firemaking - July 29th, 2010

99 Fletching - December 30th, 2010

WoW is a huge grindfest, has crap pvp, expensive, and nothing to do once you spend months of your life reaching maxed level. plus its an automatic GEEK label.

LOL. You're seriously calling WoW a grindfest compared to Runescape? Once you hit level 80 (takes about a month) WoW is pure gameplay. Raiding, Battlegrounds, Arena, etc. There's no grinding involved at all. The foundation of Runescape is xp and grinding. You can't even do quests until you reach a pre-requisite grinding amount.

And crap PvP? Ya, Runescape's click-and-wait while inventory managing is so much better than WoW's reflex and rotation-based skill. Oh wait, you're a 12 year old.

RS kids really shouldn't talk about other MMO's. The fact that you even brought up Silk Road is hilarious as well. (Protip: Silk Road is as much of an MMO as Maple Story and all the other awful f2p games)

are you [bleep] kidding me? yes WoW is a grindfest compared to runescape. If i didn't believe it (or if i didn't have multiple level 80 friends from rl) i wouldn't have said so. What is there to do until you reach level 80... hmmm you could go find a necklace for someone (typical blizzard quest)... you could train one of your TWO skills... or you could maybe... GRIND. In runescape there are involved quests, distractions and diversions, a plethora of skills and minigames. yes in runescape you have to meet requirements for a quest. that's why the quest cape is so sought after and level 10's don't go running around with hand cannons, crystal bows, and barrows gloves. it adds a character building dynamic that other games have yet to implement .

I'm not alone with praising runescape's PVP. i still cannot fathom the fact that you are actually bashing someone saying why he plays runescape over another game ON A RUNESCAPE FORUM. you're not even being discreet about it. Calling me a 12 year old? I can't even begin to believe your rudeness over a simple opinion.

RS "kids". oh yes. i must be one of those because its known that runescape players tend to frequent runescape forums (and god forbid- defend their game?1?!?!). I'm not sure what silk road your "pro"fessional self has claimed to have played, but the one i played as early as '07 and the one i returned to in '09 was an epic, involved, and basically gave the same simple-minded quests as world of warcraft. my friends who played WoW actually said they thought silkroad had BETTER graphics. the theif/merch/hunter pvp system was also extremely unique and could be started (and enjoyed) as early as level 20 (forget spending "a month" for level 80 in other games)

LOL. Typical Runescape kid that doesn't know what end-game content is.

Once you reach 80, the actual game begins. This means raiding, heroics, battlegrounds, and arena.

Pre-80 is where the quest grinding is. Your friends are either fake, or they don't know how to play the game they have subscribed to.

Try again moron.

You can claim WoW has better graphics all you want, but you're a little over two years behind on that statement having ANY truth. Just because your little guild mates say it's true doesn't make it true. I provided a clear comparison in my post, and you simply posted a screenshot with the EXACT same quality as the WoW half-screenshot I posted. WoW's graphics look like they were thrown together in MS paint by a 12 year old with ADHD in about 15 minutes. That's some pro [cabbage] right there. CLEARLY better than RuneScape's graphics .

Cool story, bro. You're definitely right. Your text > my picture.

See, most of you morons play one game and defend it to death. Ive played several different MMO's (10 day free trial doesn't count as playing an MMO btw), including Runescape (since 2003). So before you try to argue your points, make sure you realize that you're just a Runescape fanboy, while i'm just someone that likes good games.

And no, Runescape is not a good game, because it's based on clicking and grinding, while WoW is based on real-time combat. There are several downsides to WoW, but arguing that Runescape is a better game because it offers inane non-combat activities like clicking on trees, clicking on ferrets, right clicking on bandits, etc proves what an ignoramus you really are.

I'll enjoy the eventual fanboy defense mechanisms.

[hide]

Once you reach 80, the actual game begins. This means raiding, heroics, battlegrounds, and arena.

Pre-80 is where the quest grinding is. Your friends are either fake, or they don't know how to play the game they have subscribed to.

Try again moron.

You can claim WoW has better graphics all you want, but you're a little over two years behind on that statement having ANY truth. Just because your little guild mates say it's true doesn't make it true. I provided a clear comparison in my post, and you simply posted a screenshot with the EXACT same quality as the WoW half-screenshot I posted. WoW's graphics look like they were thrown together in MS paint by a 12 year old with ADHD in about 15 minutes. That's some pro [cabbage] right there. CLEARLY better than RuneScape's graphics .

See, most of you morons play one game and defend it to death. Ive played several different MMO's (10 day free trial doesn't count as playing an MMO btw), including Runescape (since 2003). So before you try to argue your points, make sure you realize that you're just a Runescape fanboy, while i'm just someone that likes good games.

And no, Runescape is not a good game, because it's based on clicking and grinding, while WoW is based on real-time combat. There are several downsides to WoW, but arguing that Runescape is a better game because it offers inane non-combat activities like clicking on trees, clicking on ferrets, right clicking on bandits, etc proves what an ignoramus you really are.

[/hide]

Just out of curiosity, why do you hang around RS and related forums if you don't like the game? :unsure:

Oh, and be careful with displaying opinions as facts.

whatisrush-1.png

FlowerPower.png

Just out of curiosity, why do you hang around RS and related forums if you don't like the game? :unsure:

Oh, and be careful with displaying opinions as facts.

Because I like to keep up with the latest updates as i'm interested in the game's evolution. For example, I played Dungeoneering when it came out, and got my friends back into it as well because it's one of the few genuinely fun pieces of content that Jagex has released. I wasn't even aiming for any rewards, I was just having fun raiding some dungeons with my friends. Runescape needs more content like this.

Runescape is one of the best.. bad games ever. This is because the actual content in the game is fun and unique, but the foundation of the game is based on clicking and grinding. The clicking part is due to the original technological limitations that were placed on Andrew when he invisioned the game. The grinding part is because Jagex wants to get your subscription money (and yes, every single MMO developer does this - its just that Runescape requires a ridiculous amount of grinding vs actual content).

As I said, I've been playing in one form or another since 2003 and i'm interested in the game, but more importantly Jagex as a company, and more importantly Jagex as a tech company. I think the RuneTek engine and the technology Jagex uses is very interesting, and i'm looking forward to seeing how it's implemented in Stellar Dawn. Additionally, i've been a part of this community since '05 and other than the generic RS kids I do usually enjoy the discussion here, as it's relatively one of the more mature RS communities.

Probably a longer answer than you wanted, but I assure you that i'm no troll that sticks around just to insult others.

I play Runescape over other MMO's mainly for two reasons:

1. To me, it is way more relaxing then any other MMO I have played (And I still play Guild Wars).

2. It is so easy to be able to get off whenever I want to attend to real life things; I am not sucked into never being able to log off without being screwed. :thumbup:

Big_Stingman.png

i play it since 2001, can't quit.

family/friends to play with.

easy to play.

require no installation.

works on new and old PCs (everyone can play).

"new" updates from time to time.

Demario.png

My vengeance is everything..

..everything must come to an end

Actually, looking at the screenshots, Runescape's graphics have more attention to detail than in WoW. Where WoW would have a flat wall textured with a stone wall image, RS would shape the wall so the stones stick out slightly and then add a separate texture for the stones and the rest of the wall. The problem is that most buildings lose their scale and atmosphere as soon as you walk in, because nearly everything that's higher than the character disappears.I think that a first person view for this game would really make people appreciate what is being done much more.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Graphics are OBVIOUSLY not why we play the game, lol. Think about what RS looked like a year or so ago before the HD update. We all played (or would have played) then too.

Guide - How To Prepare For (And profit From) Free Trade & the Return of the Wilderness

rune-tips-banner.jpg

2.17B Total Wealth ~ The Original Grand Exchange Merchant

Try again moron.

Hmm... a little fiction here from the typical 15yr old wow fanboy.

You seem to think nobody here has played WOW.

I'll admit I liked the core of Wow. That kind of arcade, fast paced combat.

Unfortunately, WOW has computer controls which is limiting. (Imagine playing street fighter II or samurai swords on a keyboard).

I never found any support for a gamepad or so that really takes away from what WOW is about. (WOW = coordinated but reptitive button mashing)

Also, most unfortunately, is the fact that WOWs content just blows outside of battlegrounds.

Skills are lame and won't make you money which is actually quite irrelavent anyway because because decent gear comes only from nontradable raid drops.

Quests are the redimentary kind you find all the way back to NES/Sega master system type games.

Puzzles just don't exist.

Strategy is simply following cookie cutter setups and alot of the classes are so imbalanced that they are all just plain broke so why bother with them.

(see PVM on a rogue or PVP on a shaman)

PVM gets stupid real fast with the 2 tier enemy system. Elite enemies (even elite "hobo gnome tramps") just kick your ass 3 ways from sunday unless your a paladin.

Throw in tons of explosions a bazillion enemies and your raid experience is simply mashing out rotations while trying to figure out if your still there or dead.

Endgame in WOW is raiding.... and that just SUCKS which no WOW fanboy could ever admit.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

While the price is certainly right (free is always good :thumbup:), I like it because it's the only MMO I've come across that isn't primarily combat oriented and doesn't require constant WSAD keyboard input. I like being able to just sit back and click away with my mouse.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

The other MMOs I've looked at are far too geared towards combat. Although Hunting a boss with friends sounds like fun, I don't want to be limited to a combat-oriented gameplay. As suck, I've enjoyed RuneScape's diverse skills (albeit that they're nearly all purely "grind" skills), they are more appealing than what other games have to offer. And of course there's the basic gameplay that RuneScape is able to offer while still offering tons of content. RuneScape is also very social and provides very basic, easy ways of communication. The communication is further extended by clans (as well as fansites), which, not only do I feel is essential in playing the game, but is the reason I've stuck around for so long.

RuneScape also shines when it comes to its pricing - a Free option and a very cheap Pay to Play option with absolutely no hidden costs; I know of no other game that offers such. With other games you have to pay for membership, as well as purchasing the larger updates (there's obviously some MMOs that this doesn't apply to, but I have no interest in their gameplay).

And, probably weird to most players, I like RuneScape's graphics. I've played some games known for their "great graphics" and I think that they look like crap. I personally have not been a supporter of RuneScape increasing its graphic detail over the years, but I understand Jagex needs to do it to stay relevant and appeal to those that do enjoy higher graphics.

Zanty.jpegsigquotes.png

Try again moron.

I think the fact the RS has MILLIONS of subscribers defiantly would qualify it as being a "good game"

I would almost assuredly switch to another game if my main Acc got banned/hacked on RS. The "learning curve" is what I hate in almost any game, however.

I'd also like to say that cost is almost completely irrelevant to me: I'd pay 20 bucks/month for RS if I had too, and the same for WoW if I switched.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]