Why Do You Play RS Over Other MMOs?

Maze

Because it's cheap, ridiculously casual, varied, huge, browser based, and fun. The quests are apparently some of the best in the industry, and it's really difficult to get bored of the game.

Since some people are comparing combat, I think Jagex have got something big planned in that department, and I'm not talking about hitsplats. Think about it: They've nearly perfected the balancing issues in Daemonheim, it's only a matter of time before they apply it to the surface.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play the game for a few reasons. The first reason (that actually attracted me to the game to begin with), was the fact that it isn't overly complicated, simplistic (almost entertaining) graphics that were a lot easier on the eye for me

The second reason being that the cost of premium access is considerable less than the other popular games.

The third and most important reason, I have made many friends throughout my years of playing, in-game and on this fansite, and they are what keep me active. <3:

Retired Crew Member | Retired RuneScape Player

Why Do You Play RS Over Other MMOs?

1) Player vs. Player/Player Killing (My #1 why I play RS).

2) Clans. The Clan World and friendship (My #2 why I play RS).

3) FREE and cheap Membership. A lot of places to go to.

4) New Updates.

5) No need for any big files installing.

6) Max graphics settings looks beautiful.

Many great old and new memories than any other games I've played in my life. Already played too long to ditch RuneSscape for other MMOs.

Dark_Yeng.png

2002 - 2003 RuneScape Classic Clans: Wild Dawgs (WD). Court of Dragons (CoD). BlacKnights (BK). Black Dragon Knights (BDK).

2009 - 2010 RuneScape 2 Clan/Team: Hardly Dead (HD). Ex-Team Silent Ember (SE).

~ Hmong Pride ~

1st. i dont want to spend the next 5 years learning another mmo (atleast not until TOR comes out, kotor I and II were the BEST rpg games i have EVER played, epic story + d&d rules YYYYYYYEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHH!)

2nd. gay wtf crap mmos like wow and guild wars ect cost too much and require you to spend ur whole damn [bleep]ing life learning how to spam click 1000000+'s of spells and combos to survive, I mean wtf do you need a mouse with 25 buttons for or a key board with 100 different extra programmable keys/combos?????

[hide=FLAME ON!!!]

Htorch.PNG[/hide]

I play Runescape because there are no specific classes. Anyone can play any role. There is also a large variety of things to do.

yes, i like that too, no sitting at the character create screnn thinking" OMFG, wtf shamaan or BarBarian i cant deciiiiiiiiiide, OHHHH my Brain hurts!!!"

pikatips001.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips002.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips003.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips004.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips005.png1,000 F2P Total Level Reached 10/8/10 !

[hide=Guides]Magic & Summoning Profit Spreadsheets! *UPDATES EVERY HOUR* (includes: High alch, Superheat, and Enchanting)

4 BETTER alternatives to flesh crawlers[/hide]

WOT WOT!

☉.☉☂

WoW is too expensive.

Earth Eternal's company went bankrupt.

Don't know about any other MMORPGs in depth.

[hide=A funny conversation]Me:Have u wondered how my brassard, which leaves my chest bare, give about the same def as ur pile of rocks?

Friend:Hahaha

Friend:Maybe you are just good at blocking with your shoulder?

Me:Ahahahahaha[/hide]Rare drops: 4 D legs, 1 D skirt

Barrows items: 2 Verac's helms, 1 Dhorak's Greataxe, 1 Dhorak's platelegs, 2 Karil's leathertops, 1 Karil's crossbow, 1 Guthan's chainskirt

Quest cape achieved 28 Dec, 2009, lost with Nomad's Requiem, re-obtained on 19 Mar 2010.

Fire cape achieved 1 Nov 2010.

'Cuz its more fun?

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

I don't really know why I chose it over any other MMO... I tried WOW once, but I don't think the whole dungeon raiding thing was my thing at all. I prefer to play solo most of the time, and Runescape fits that just nicely. :D Also it's browser based, and cheap. :thumbsup:

Blakdragon39.png

1st. i dont want to spend the next 5 years learning another mmo (atleast not until TOR comes out, kotor I and II were the BEST rpg games i have EVER played, epic story + d&d rules YYYYYYYEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHH!)

2nd. gay wtf crap mmos like wow and guild wars ect cost too much and require you to spend ur whole damn [bleep]ing life learning how to spam click 1000000+'s of spells and combos to survive, I mean wtf do you need a mouse with 25 buttons for or a key board with 100 different extra programmable keys/combos?????

I'm not even going to try to explain what's wrong with your assertions about WoW and Guild Wars, but you do realize that TOR is not going to be based on the D&D system right? The combat is pretty much gonna be your standard WoW/LOTRO/EQ2 style MMO combat.

The selling point of TOR is it's depth of story and fully voice-acted dialogue. (Which most RS kids don't care about).

-------------------------------------------------------------------

'Cuz its more fun?

Everyone besides stonewall needs to GTFO runescape if this isn't your reason to play it.

I tried to get into WoW, but I didn't want to re-learn a whole game. Unlike RS, where learning and exploring was fun when I first started, it was no longer fun. I didn't know where things were, and it was just too much of a pain in the ass to relearn where I could get all the info, and make friends, etc.

Sure, I play MW2 and halo and crap, but those are fun in and of themselves, they aren't as designed to be goal oriented as RS is.

I like RS because of goals, without a goal, the game gets boring FAST.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

I'm so far into it and know it so well I just keep playing. It's cheap. I like the skills and can solo almost everything. Browser based and doesn't take much of a computer to run it. It's mindless but a more fun mindless than say minesweeper. If I ever find something better I'd start doing that instead though.. But I just haven't found anything I liked better.

No_Foo.png

Oh thats right, its Runescape. We dont play skills to have fun. We do it to sit in a bank and grind away, seeing who can do it the longest.

I like RS for the depth, there are plenty of non combat skills for when I get bored or am having a bad day in pvp.

Ive been meaning to try out EVE Online once my income picks up because it seems to combine just about all the good stuff I like with epic graphics.

And as an afterthought, why is Shady even here? shouldnt he be either 1) playing WoW or 2) on a WoW fansite?

mbtz.jpg

Do keep a level head my friend,

in times when Danger rears its head

Against excessive joy defend,

O, my comrade doomed to die.

Arigorn_380.png

ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς

Runescape=Goals

Every goal you set gives you a false sense that you will feel more fulfilled when you reach it. But one goal only leads to another.

If there was no such thing as levels or xp in runescape, then I would not play it.

99 Hunter - November 1st, 2008

99 Cooking -July 22nd, 2009

99 Firemaking - July 29th, 2010

99 Fletching - December 30th, 2010

Not necessarily, and that's actually what I like about other MMOs. I hate combat in RuneScape because it's so mindlessly easy. In other MMOs there are a wide variety of skills which presents so many more opportunities for strategy. There's a lot more thinking and planning that goes into each fight. Memorizing the spells/attacks isn't difficult because they're not all presented to you at once. You get a small handful and then slowly get more as you level up. But having more attack options adds variety and strategy to the game, which makes it more interesting and fun than RS in my opinion.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Not necessarily, and that's actually what I like about other MMOs. I hate combat in RuneScape because it's so mindlessly easy. In other MMOs there are a wide variety of skills which presents so many more opportunities for strategy. There's a lot more thinking and planning that goes into each fight. Memorizing the spells/attacks isn't difficult because they're not all presented to you at once. You get a small handful and then slowly get more as you level up. But having more attack options adds variety and strategy to the game, which makes it more interesting and fun than RS in my opinion.

I completely agree with Ashely. I play RS because It's a game I've been around for a long time, regardless of what my "Status" may say to left, I will never be 'retired.' I play it because I enjoy it. I've played WoW, reached end-game content and enjoyed every minute of it. I currently play another game that I enjoy just as much but there is something RS has that they don't and in my eyes it's a better community. The older players that have been around a while like I have usually stick together and keep in touch, and I like that about the game. WoW doesn't have that.

Inspired by this thread I did something very stupid yesterday. I played WoW.

Erm, it's rather good in many ways. The problem is I like RS WAY more (despite the graphical wonderfest that is WoW, sorry but it is pretty) for all the reasons I mentioned earlier. What will keep me in RS is the storyline and how the quests work to expand it. Other people's mileage may vary.

WoW quests so far seem to be remarkably like the Slayer skill in RS (kill X of this). I have to say that I like the apparently faster levelling of WoW (that might be because of my noobishness) because (raids and whatnot aside, something I have yet to get to) it appears to me at least that I can max a character quickly in WoW. I once calculated I'd be 63 before I managed to max my RS character...and I am >30 years away from that!

So for someone with limited time to invest in gaming (until yesterday RS was the only game I've played since a very long time ago) it seems like WoW has a quicker return on time invested. Now I'll qualify that by saying that is my initial impression, I'm not trying to start some infantile flamewar on WoW vs RS, but I'd genuinely appreciate the input of people with more experience of WoW. Are my initial impressions valid? I.e. is it true that levelling to maxed characters is quicker and easier than in RS?

For the purposes of my question ignore the issues of gameplay mechanics (clicks and buttons), graphics (of course there are differences, but I LIKE RS's graphics), and cost (I'm lucky enough that the difference between ~£5 a month and ~£10 a month doesn't bother me, a possible advantage of being an adult I suppose).

So far my impressions seem to be that RS is a more serious RPG fan's choice (more sandbox, less shiny bells and whistles, but more substance and more difficult in terms of levelling) and WoW is the more traditional gamer's choice (quicker levelling, more role based/limited play, very shiny with lots of bells and whistles, less substance in terms of levelling, i.e. it's not the focus, but a much bigger game world). I'm happy to be corrected on that of course. What do people think?

Louis_Redux.png

All skills 70+ again 16/06/2010

Inspired by this thread I did something very stupid yesterday. I played WoW.

Erm, it's rather good in many ways. The problem is I like RS WAY more (despite the graphical wonderfest that is WoW, sorry but it is pretty) for all the reasons I mentioned earlier. What will keep me in RS is the storyline and how the quests work to expand it. Other people's mileage may vary.

WoW quests so far seem to be remarkably like the Slayer skill in RS (kill X of this). I have to say that I like the apparently faster levelling of WoW (that might be because of my noobishness) because (raids and whatnot aside, something I have yet to get to) it appears to me at least that I can max a character quickly in WoW. I once calculated I'd be 63 before I managed to max my RS character...and I am >30 years away from that!

So for someone with limited time to invest in gaming (until yesterday RS was the only game I've played since a very long time ago) it seems like WoW has a quicker return on time invested. Now I'll qualify that by saying that is my initial impression, I'm not trying to start some infantile flamewar on WoW vs RS, but I'd genuinely appreciate the input of people with more experience of WoW. Are my initial impressions valid? I.e. is it true that levelling to maxed characters is quicker and easier than in RS?

For the purposes of my question ignore the issues of gameplay mechanics (clicks and buttons), graphics (of course there are differences, but I LIKE RS's graphics), and cost (I'm lucky enough that the difference between ~£5 a month and ~£10 a month doesn't bother me, a possible advantage of being an adult I suppose).

So far my impressions seem to be that RS is a more serious RPG fan's choice (more sandbox, less shiny bells and whistles, but more substance and more difficult in terms of levelling) and WoW is the more traditional gamer's choice (quicker levelling, more role based/limited play, very shiny with lots of bells and whistles, less substance in terms of levelling, i.e. it's not the focus, but a much bigger game world). I'm happy to be corrected on that of course. What do people think?

My impression from when I tried it: WoW is much more focused on combat than Runescape. Their combat system is leagues ahead of RS--better PvP, better PvM, better clan support. Everything else is the same or worse, especially the quests, which are super-lame. Secondary skills are one-dimensional and shallow. Travel is slower. Faster training is mostly canceled out by the need to have multiple characters. And it costs more money to subscribe.

Ah, found a picture from my days on the WoW demo (approximately 2 years ago to date):

comparing.png

WoW sure has "great" graphics :rolleyes:

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

I probably play RS over any others because it was the first MMO I played, it's free, and it has an interesting sort of charm that others don't. I can't really explain it, but there's something strangely enjoyable about gathering RuneScape pixels.

Guide - How To Prepare For (And profit From) Free Trade & the Return of the Wilderness

rune-tips-banner.jpg

2.17B Total Wealth ~ The Original Grand Exchange Merchant

kids

Does anyone else get as annoyed as I do with how much he uses this word? :unsure:

Kids usually don't like being called kids. ;)

WoW sure has "great" graphics

Way to deliberately find a bad screenshot of WoW. I don't understand why morons try to prove that Runescape has better graphics than WoW. It doesn't. And graphics don't even matter, just admit that Runescape has bad graphics and move on.

1r2anb.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------