15-Sep-10 Z-Buffering

Toad

Advances in our engine will bring graphical improvements for players using RuneScape's Software and Safe modes, and increased speed to players using OpenGL or DirectX modes. The use of a Z-buffer across all graphical modes unifies their workings, which means artists can now create more complex models and more interesting animations, where previously they have been limited by the software modes.

One element of this we're particularly excited about is the ability to model and animate players and NPCs outside of the 'square' on which theyre standing. This will allow us to improve weapon wielding, combat animations and various other aspects of your appearance. Artists will also be able to design and build more impressive areas, which are less constrained to the grid-like nature of the RuneScape world.

Additionally, users in Software or Safe mode should see less in the way of graphical clipping (where objects/locations in the world cut through each other incorrectly). We have also seen speed increases in OpenGL and DirectX of up to 50%, but this does depend on the area youre playing in.

Mod Chris E

Game Engine

In other news...

Due to the z-buffer changes, the Wilderness ditch no longer looked right (in fact it looked rather unsightly). As such, the ditch has been filled in and a low wall has been built in its place. The positioning and path of the wall follows where the ditch was, and you can still jump over it as quickly as you could the ditch.

We've enabled access to our developer console to allow players a small selection of commands, which you may prove useful in tracking down the cause of more technical issues with the client on your computer. Just hit the back quote key (`), also known as the grave accent key, which is found left of the '1' key on most QWERTY keyboards. Input 'help' into the developer console for more information and a list of available commands.

The adjustments to skillcapes have now been copied (they were modelled and optimised for the z-buffer). Female skillcapes should be identical in length to the current male version. This was necessary to massively reduce graphical issues due to the length of the capes.

The loading screen has been reworked and updated to give it a fresh look and give it a little bit extra. These features have been live for a few weeks, but the system was previously emulating the old loading screen until the new artwork was ready.

In addition to choosing the colour of your split chat, you can now choose the colour for your Clan Chat messages via the chat display options button on the settings interface.

Upon entering a dungeon, your bound items and ring of kinship will now be automatically equipped, which should save you a bit of time at the start of each dungeon.

You can now examine compost bins to see how full they are. This should now tell you how many items are in there, from empty through to completely full (0-15 items).

If you hover the mouse over any of the Agility shortcut icons on the world map, you'll now get a tooltip listing the level requirement and equipment necessary to use it.

Elf teleport crystals, the explorers rings and the Falador shields have had the order of their options adjusted, which should make them more convenient to use.

One of the smaller fonts used in various places throughout the game has been reworked as part of our ongoing effort to improve usability.

We've increased the selection of farming seeds available in the Vinesweeper reward shop.

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[...]

We've enabled access to our developer console to allow players a small selection of commands,

[...]

/sv_cheats 1.

/god 1

zuzmo.png

collio.png

[hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide]

Never gonna give you up.[/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide]

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Awesome. :o

Loads of sweet little small fixes this week too. :shades::thumbup:

Also great how the update will make it so OpenGL and DirectX have 50% faster loading times.

Also great how the update will make it so OpenGL and DirectX have 50% faster loading times.

I had trouble with directx, although I'm running on a top end machine, so I hope it's better now, when you can run crysis with everything on full, but you can't run DirectX on RuneScape something is up! :P

Love the dung update and I like how they are actually gonna work outside the square right now, this might mean bigger swords or different wielding-positions?

ooh eeh ooh ahah, ting tang wallawallabingbang m8

I had trouble with directx, although I'm running on a top end machine, so I hope it's better now, when you can run crysis with everything on full, but you can't run DirectX on RuneScape something is up! :P

I always find OpenGL to run better than DirectX.

Due to the z-buffer changes, the Wilderness ditch no longer looked right (in fact it looked rather unsightly). As such, the ditch has been filled in and a low wall has been built in its place. The positioning and path of the wall follows where the ditch was, and you can still jump over it as quickly as you could the ditch.

They could have just gotten rid of it... :wall:

Other than that, ok update I guess.

2d26mw.gif

Why can't the Big Bang be done by the hand of God?

It could have, but it is next to impossible because it also could have been caused by the flying spaghetti monster, or one of the other infinite number of deity possibilities.

Coo. Quite a nice update.

I think I can see the difference already, there's much less squareyness on low detail now. I suppose I'm gutted they made the female skillcapes shorter - but it's not gonna kill me :P

Auto-equipping the stuff in Dung is epic too <3

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Has anyone noticed that the new loading screen takes longer to load than the old one? Despite the fact that there's just been an update.

EDIT: They had to change the fonts again. ;_;

zuzmo.png

collio.png

[hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide]

Never gonna give you up.[/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide]

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

the wildy ditch is the wildy wall 0.0

The once was a mexican called pepsi,

Or maybe it's just he had Hep C,

He was a pretty cool bro,

Bros generally are you know,

He hailed from the land of 'taters,

He was known to hate many-a-hater,

He likes a girl named Lacey,

His thoughts about her are kind of racy,

And also his dad likes to [rooster].

Is everyone's FPS capped at 50? Anyway to raise it?

zuzmo.png

collio.png

Best loading screen-tooltip EVAR:

rstooltip.jpg

Epic. I like the update, too. Auto-equip should be great. I wonder what happens if you have two weapons bound, though.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Is everyone's FPS capped at 50? Anyway to raise it?

Mines drifting from 36-50 depending on where I am and what other players are doing, cape emotes brings up a particle counter for example