DevBlog - The Big Homepage Update

Sylpheed

Did the title get your attention? I’m glad! It isn’t often that we web designers get a chance to show off our designs before they are launched, but that rare opportunity has presented itself and we’re giving you a sneak peek of the upcoming RuneScape homepage redesign! We’ve had great fun working on this and feel we’ve come up with something that not only looks great and gives RuneScape a more polished home, but is also packed with new features that will help showcase our great new content and support our community.

So, here it is! We’re all very excited; we know it’s a bit of a departure from the brown boxes you’ll have gotten used to, but the bright palette, revised layout and expanded space for visuals will give the RuneScape homepage a fresh and vibrant feel.

My link

Featured content rotator

A picture is worth a thousand words, or so the saying goes. We know that sometimes you don’t want to read through line after line of a news article to find out the big stories in RuneScape, so we’ve created this scrolling 'featured news' panel. It will host all of the latest and greatest updates from within RuneScape, as well as any other important competitions or features you may want to know about. This will all be presented with a short caption and large banner graphic: what better way to tell you about new content than simply showing you? No need to worry, though: we will still have the regular news section on the homepage for all the other information you need.

My link

Quick poll

We rely on your feedback, but we also know that your time is precious and you’d rather be playing RuneScape. So, we’ll be making the online polls more straightforward, and you can participate in them directly from the homepage. The polls will be updated more regularly, so you will be able to get your feedback to us quicker than ever.

My link

Hot forum topics

Want to know what the hot conversations are on the forums? It’s never been easier. The new RuneScape homepage will have links to five hot forum topics, so you can instantly join conversations and chat with your online friends.

My link

Sitemap

RuneScape.com is huge, much like Gielinor itself, and we don’t want you to get lost. The new sitemap-style footer will not only aid you in finding key content across the website, it’ll help you get there faster. It’ll also help you explore the website and perhaps even discover areas you didn’t know existed.

My link

The extended website

With the introduction of the RuneScape HD website design, we launched every page simultaneously; however, this time around, we are going to do things a little differently. In order to get you the new features and designs as quickly as possible, we will be rolling out the extended website piece by piece. This means you’ll be able to see it evolve, so keep an eye out for all the future changes we’ve got planned!

That about wraps it up from us; feel free to drop any thoughts or questions you have into the forums.

The website is looking more and more commercial with every passing year, personally I think it looks fine the way it is.

Sylpheed.png

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While I like the current design, the new one does look impressive. Personally I think it's leaning towards a "jagex-themed" (seeing how similar the SD design is to this) style, but just my opinion. I use the toolbar for quick access, so I won't notice it that much anyways :blink: .

Looks more like other hundreds of websites. I think it could of done this redesign as is seen in the article while keeping a more unique theme. Like some colour or something.. Looks good for game review site/tech-info/video site though.

I dont use it so not that bothered. However other websites that have done similar looks I just kinda abandoned sometimes because they felt too generic. I like unique looking websites as well as it being good at providing info or whatever.

Its more professional I guess and is very well made.. Looks great for advert spam. (To block)

When a new player stumbles upon Runescape.com they want them to be drawn in by the looks of the site as well as easy to find features such as Play Now! This might help achieve that goal.

Low_C.png

I was going to complain about how it's annoying when sites are constantly redesigning or changing things on the website (which it feels like Jagex has been doing).. but then I took a look and I like it, so I won't complain :lol:

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

When I first saw it, I though "War of Legends: Runescape Edition".

I like the site though, looks well polished and easy to use.

I've never really liked auto-scrollers though for some reason. They just annoy me when they swap caption before I finish looking at the current one.