Tip.it Times - 17th October 2010

Racheya

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in the article then please PM them to me and they'll be rectified asap.

Enjoy the articles and please remember to keep debating free from flaming and personal insults. :)

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@first article

err inflation DOES encourage runescapers to buy now rather than later. pretty silly to say it doesn't. however the point about alchemy-based profit methods is true: as price levels go up, these methods become, relatively, increasingly inferior.

i also found "the economy is not fine, is a house of cards etc." to be pretty... unfounded. the only shred of support for that position is that jagex can change the game... which is not to say that every/any update will ruin the economy. the only way jagex can kill the economy is to prevent people from trading their goods.

also found the tag paragraph of "buyable skills don't get respect hunter is better" to be highly irrelevant; it made me :-s

otherwise a decent read i guess

edit: especially liked the section on manipulation clans, very good points. the only way you can get hurt by a manipulation clan is if you are unprepared (i.e. not enough supplies).

edit 2: my belief is that jagex should not actively attempt to manipulate markets, rather when introducing content they should consider the economic implications thereof and decide of they match the content. for example the economic effects of extreme potions for herblore matched the content; the economic effects of climbing boots did not match the content.

@first article

err inflation DOES encourage runescapers to buy now rather than later. pretty silly to say it doesn't. however the point about alchemy-based profit methods is true: as price levels go up, these methods become, relatively, increasingly inferior.

i also found "the economy is not fine, is a house of cards etc." to be pretty... unfounded. the only shred of support for that position is that jagex can change the game... which is not to say that every/any update will ruin the economy. the only way jagex can kill the economy is to prevent people from trading their goods.

also found the tag paragraph of "buyable skills don't get respect hunter is better" to be highly irrelevant; it made me :-s

Allow me to retort :)

Did I say inflation does not encourage people to buy now? If I did, it must be a typo, I obviously meant deflation... (but after reading my own article again, I conclude you misread it)

That 'shred of evidence' to an unstable economy as you call it, is backed up by all the other points I made in my article :) I hope at leats that much was clear...

As for Achievement Capes; I am talking of course about the fact that the ultimate goal is not having billions of GP... But billions of XP! (subtle difference between the two, I know :))

Also, Mr. Monopoly; would you care to point out the mistakes I made so they can be corrected?

PS: November and December I will be taking some time off from the regular schedule to write a fictional spanning all weeks of the two months. It will be my first serious attempt at fictionals, so I hope everyone will enjoy it :)

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Allow me to retort :)

Did I say inflation does not encourage people to buy now? If I did, it must be a typo, I obviously meant deflation... (but after reading my own article again, I conclude you misread it)

Economists would say that a little bit of inflation is not a bad thing, because it encourages people to buy stuff now, rather than wait out the deflation and buy the same stuff cheaper later on. In RuneScape this is not the case though.

maybe i misread it, i don't know though. it seems like you said that in real life, inflation encourages consumption (which it does), but in runescape it does not. could you clarify?

That 'shred of evidence' to an unstable economy as you call it, is backed up by all the other points I made in my article :) I hope at leats that much was clear...

your points (as bolded)

Bots are NOT a good thing.

Merchant Clans are NOT a bad thing.

Dungeoneering HAS an impact on the economy.

We DON'T need new money sinks.

Inflation is NOT a good thing.

none of those, to me, suggest that runescape's economy will collapse. also if they were meant to be subpoints ultimately supporting the claim that runescape's economy is not okay, perhaps it would have been wise to not list it as #6 in a list of bullets. by the way i am not saying i disagree with your claim, just that it seems unsupported in the article.

As for Achievement Capes; I am talking of course about the fact that the ultimate goal is not having billions of GP... But billions of XP! (subtle difference between the two, I know :))

patronization aside, that point is STILL irrelevant to the article, which is all that i said about it

Dungeoneering has an effect on the economy in two ways. 1. People are dunging and not actively buying and selling in Runescape. 2. Chaotic, and to a lesser extent Gravite, items bring pure GP out of the game when people repair them.

The first reason has the bigger impact on the RS economy right now as economies depend heavily on buying/selling/trading. The inactivity Dung has caused on the RS economy is easily measurable and obvious from the current slow down in almost all items. The second reason is going to have the bigger long term impact on the economy. I haven't done any calculations or tests, but I'm pretty sure that the 2M GP that it costs to recharge a Chaotic weapon is more than the alch value of items obtained in using a full charge. With the popularity and increasing usage of Chaotic weaponry, this might be the long term money sink that Jagex has been looking for to combat the recent inflation from PvP.

mr__gandalf.png

@Bladewing:

The "This is not the case in RuneScape" referred to "Economists would say that a little bit of inflation is not a bad thing"... Referring to real life economists here, of course...

Economies do not collapse, as a crappy economy uis still an economy... I just think that the healthy parts of it are rapidly decreasing in numbers, meaning that a lot of good money makers now, could be poorer money makers in the future... I named skilling (formerly a huge part of the game) as an example...

And yea, I did mean to have the first 5 be a supportive argument for #6 (the whole #6 part is basicly the conclusion drawn)... But since I set out to dispell some lies, I figured it would be better to display it out in this way...

As for the Achievement Capes argument; I think it is most certainly relevant when you can basicly BUY your way to level 99 or 200M xp in certain skills (smithing, crafting, cooking, fletching, construction, etc)... A cape is something you show off... 200M XP is even worse, as that is permanently fixed (if you are the 15th to 200m XP, you will forever be ranked 15th)... If you can buy your way to those places with increasing levels of ease due to the economy overheating, I think it is a most relevant point to make... That is just my opinion though, but I can also see why you think it is not relevant to the article :)

[spoiler=what MrGandalf said]

Dungeoneering has an effect on the economy in two ways. 1. People are dunging and not actively buying and selling in Runescape. 2. Chaotic, and to a lesser extent Gravite, items bring pure GP out of the game when people repair them.

The first reason has the bigger impact on the RS economy right now as economies depend heavily on buying/selling/trading. The inactivity Dung has caused on the RS economy is easily measurable and obvious from the current slow down in almost all items. The second reason is going to have the bigger long term impact on the economy. I haven't done any calculations or tests, but I'm pretty sure that the 2M GP that it costs to recharge a Chaotic weapon is more than the alch value of items obtained in using a full charge. With the popularity and increasing usage of Chaotic weaponry, this might be the long term money sink that Jagex has been looking for to combat the recent inflation from PvP.

Exactly! Although I still think the PVP droptable needs adjustment to reduce the GP flowing into the economy. Stop the problem at the source!

Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Inflation is NOT a bad thing though.

If everything rises proportionally the only people it affects is just finished the tutorial noobs, and the extremely rich.

Everyone else has expenses that rise with inflation and income that does as well.

The rich have a problem because of the money cap and the need to put money in rares to hold it - coupled with the rising cost of rares, while the brand new, newbie has the problem of armor and arrows being twice the price of before with no sound money making method to get it

besides the 1% of the richest and the 1% of the poorest players 98% of players are completely unaffected by inflation

So the point about certain moneymakers falling horribly behind because they have fixed alch values (or similar restraints) is completely lost on you? I said it is a fortunate thing that we can be flexible and change carreers every minute, but that alone is not enough of an excuse to let whole skills and areas of the game go unused...

If you disagree, name some big money makers that do not involve any combat or merchanting, besides hunting Grenwalls and making Nature Runes

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
CLICK IT!

inflation does affect fixed values (alchemy floors and ge ceilings in particular) as they don't change with the increasing price levels.

alchemy and jagex's price restrictions are really what complicate the issue on whether it is "good" or "bad"

--

while we are on the topic of pvp drops:

i think that jagex has two good options:

1) all items lost in pvp are put into a large pool, and when you get pvp drops, a number of items are removed from the pool and given to you (not necessarily equal to what your opponent's risk!). this insures that all items lost in pvp are returned to the economy, stopping phenomena such as ever-increasing dharok's full helmets, overpriced whips, dragon claws, dragon scimitars and daggers; in addition it would return the gp:item ratio to normal levels

2) calculate the total number of gps in the economy and total value of all items in the economy (by in the economy it could be in the banks of "active" accounts, like logged in in the last one month or something). then when the pvp drop is calculated, the value of statuettes and items would match this ratio. for example if the economy has 1 billion gp and 4 billion in items, when the drop algorithm calculates that jonny gets a 10m drop, he will get 2m in gp/statuettes and 8m in items.

Now we're talking, bladewing :)

I like your first solution, but it has one drawback; it would quickly kill the popularity of PVP worlds as it is no longer a good money maker... The 2nd solution seems rather complicated, I'll have to think it out a bit...

But how do you like the solution I advocated a year ago? Replace the statuettes to some extent (l;eave just enough to compnsate what the dead person was wearing), and drop items that have no impact on the economy at all. I am talking about more 100% degradable items (such as Vesta's or Zuriel's or Corrupt Dragon or Brawlers) or more consumables (such as extreme potions or high level food)...

People will still get the same amount of "GP" dropped, but instead of actual GP, it will be items that they can sell, and those tiems will eventually dissapear from RuneScape again (aka GP neutral, unless alched)...

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
CLICK IT!

i don't see how option 1 would reduce the gp you make in pvp - it just replaces some gp with some items which you could sell for the same amount. if anything it would increase popularity, because when person X dies and loses his divine or his santa hat, there is a chance (however small) that you could get a huge drop from pvping. this is, of course, an issue to consider itself.

your solution has one part of the problem fixed - the drops. however you still have to account for the items removed from the game. rune armor, abyssal whips, glory amulets, neitiznots, dragon boots, even godswords and bandos, all disappear from runescape when someone dies. these items all have increased values due to "consumption" by their pvp use. that's why i favor option 1, because it makes sure that the items you get from pvp follow the exact distribution of the items that people actually use in pvp.

Now we're talking, bladewing :)

I like your first solution, but it has one drawback; it would quickly kill the popularity of PVP worlds as it is no longer a good money maker... The 2nd solution seems rather complicated, I'll have to think it out a bit...

But how do you like the solution I advocated a year ago? Replace the statuettes to some extent (l;eave just enough to compnsate what the dead person was wearing), and drop items that have no impact on the economy at all. I am talking about more 100% degradable items (such as Vesta's or Zuriel's or Corrupt Dragon or Brawlers) or more consumables (such as extreme potions or high level food)...

People will still get the same amount of "GP" dropped, but instead of actual GP, it will be items that they can sell, and those tiems will eventually dissapear from RuneScape again (aka GP neutral, unless alched)...

How about a cross between Blade's first idea and the current coinshare system? When a person dies in PvP, their highest valued item (GE value) is sold instantly in GE and the minimum GE value of that item becomes the highest possible drop for the victor. With higher EP you have a higher chance of getting the max drop possible. For example I kill a guy who has an AGS, which he loses and it is sold instantly on GE for 67M. My highest possible reward then becomes 63.6M and because I have 75% EP (I don't PvP so I have no idea about correct EP numbers) and just happen to get very lucky this time, my drop is 34M GP. This would be a net drain of 33M from the game.

I'd also like to see more degradable items as rewards in PvP.

Edit: You wouldn't get coins from every PvP kill but rather it just becomes a possible reward. You could get items like Vesta instead.

mr__gandalf.png

The real question is; With every idea put forward so far on fixing the drop table, they could have done so by now n a way that doesnt decrease popularity, stops the influx of GP, and without too much items (mostly welfare) being "lost"...

So why haven't they?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
CLICK IT!

Very good set of articles this week.

First one was a great read, solid points, well-conducted research and well-written.

While I disagree on minor occasions, it was still a thoroughly good read.

Second one wasn't bad either, I could certainly relate.

I have nothing against the Fictional Articles, but I don't read them.

Good job guys :thumbup:

pendulumsig.png

138 Combat as of Summer 2010 - Retired Summer 2010

1. Stormrage, your article was interesting. I enjoyed reading it, and it was pretty long. (which is good).

2. I don't do many quests, just the ones I need. But they are an integral part of RS, I appreciate that.

3. The fictionnal article was good. I liked it.

Overall, I find the articles fun to read. And the discussions afterwards :)

I look forward to every Sunday.

.....Andre

Andre the Giant (Gentle Giant)

inflation does affect fixed values (alchemy floors and ge ceilings in particular) as they don't change with the increasing price levels.

alchemy and jagex's price restrictions are really what complicate the issue on whether it is "good" or "bad"

--

while we are on the topic of pvp drops:

i think that jagex has two good options:

1) all items lost in pvp are put into a large pool, and when you get pvp drops, a number of items are removed from the pool and given to you (not necessarily equal to what your opponent's risk!). this insures that all items lost in pvp are returned to the economy, stopping phenomena such as ever-increasing dharok's full helmets, overpriced whips, dragon claws, dragon scimitars and daggers; in addition it would return the gp:item ratio to normal levels

2) calculate the total number of gps in the economy and total value of all items in the economy (by in the economy it could be in the banks of "active" accounts, like logged in in the last one month or something). then when the pvp drop is calculated, the value of statuettes and items would match this ratio. for example if the economy has 1 billion gp and 4 billion in items, when the drop algorithm calculates that jonny gets a 10m drop, he will get 2m in gp/statuettes and 8m in items.

I actually suggested the first idea on RSOF when the PvP worlds came out, though in a different way. I don't really know what to say about the articles though, the first one I agreed to some extent, but the conclusion is pretty hazy. I don't quite get how the points made led to conclusion that "The RuneScape economy is like a stack of cards on quicksand" or whatever the quote is. Hmm, I'll read it more thoroughly later.

I definitely like the point in the first article where he says that bots are not good for the economy! I don't know where people get that idea from.. I also like how he points out that the highscores will always be consistent. :) The economy in this game is a scary, complex thing. o.O I will never understand it. :P

About the second article: I also enjoy questing! I have a quest cape. :D However I barely remember any of the storyline from the earlier quests I did.. I've considered starting a new account to do a bunch of the quests over again on. But there's just so much to do on my current account, I don't have time for it! Oh well. :)

Blakdragon39.png

Hyperinflation is bad, but the moderate level of inflation we were seeing pre-dungoneering was good. This deflation we have now is downright unhealthy for the economy, higher level players especially as most of our moneymakers are suffering. Remember, the RS economy self regulates in that rares absorb most inflation.

Really though, good articles, except that mistake in the economics article.

Edit: I saw Stormrage had made a comment on something I said and didn't want to double post.

Not a double post... The previous post replied to someone that actually made a point and argued... This post replies to people that are simply making wrong statements without backing them up... Hell, some of those replies are a downright troll

Idiocy rank: A few fries short of a happy meal...

Hyperinflation is bad, but the moderate level of inflation we were seeing pre-dungoneering was good. This deflation we have now is downright unhealthy for the economy, higher level players especially as most of our moneymakers are suffering. Remember, the RS economy self regulates in that rares absorb most inflation.

"Moderate" level of inflation from the pre-dungeoneering time was anything but moderate... I dare infact call it hyper inflation because it made other moneymakers MUCH more profitable as well... Which is also the point of saying inflation is bad. It rips forms of money making out of proportion with one another, and therefor will leave huge portions of the game unused...

Rares do not absorb any inflation at all, because (as ALSO pointed out in my article) rares are not traded for JUST gp anymore... On top of that, the GP does not leave the game when buying a rare...

I think the mistake you made is thinking of your OWN economy, rather than RuneScape as a whole...

PM me in game anytime

It's a lot easier then that for an idiot to sound smart on the internet.

That's exactly what you're doing right now... just saying.

I'm combat lvl 136. Doesn't mean much. Well! I fight a lot. I have 11m in bank. don't laugh!

It's all I have. Economy, inflation, deflation, mean nothing to me. I play because I like like it.

If I have to buy an item 1k, when it used to be 400gps, so be it.

I've played since 2003. Yes the RS economy is shifting, I don't dispute that.

I gave away millions, before GE. But now, it seems, too many players are focused on 'money'.

And TS! It was a good article.

Andre the Giant (Gentle Giant)

[hide]

Not only do bots provide an insecure supply, but because they are operating in such large numbers, they push the ones out that do. Many skillers have moved on to greener pastures for various reasons (DnD's and SC make it much faster training, for example), but one of those reasons is the simple fact that hardcore skilling does not have the same financial benefits anymore compared to alternative methods in particular PVP Worlds. The results are unstable prices at best, and destruction of peoples livelihood at worst.

How is a bot's supply insecure?

Lie 2: Merchant Clans are a bad thing.

Touchy statement to be disagreeing with, I know, as it always affects people directly. But let's throw the rules and ethics out the window for a moment.

I'm not sure people have a problem with what they're doing (buying low and selling high), its a problem with how they're doing it (duping people to believe that buying out item x will net everyone a profit).

They're also upset with the temporary freeze in the market - it doesn't matter how much they're willing to pay for an item, they just can't get it (or anything related). Many things in runescape are done on a whim, which is why stocking up on everything you might ever need isn't possible. Its not bank space, its GP.

Lie 3: Dungeoneering has no impact on the economy.

So uh, who told you this? Can you find 3 people in the past 6 months on the forums that have said this?

No, I am a firm believer that you should not start cleaning the spill if you haven't fixed the leak yet. It diverts your attention from the main problem at hand, and everyone knows I am talking about the PVP drop table still.

As I posted before, the PVP drop table would've fixed itself. Here's one for you - I've been PVPing a lot the past month, and guess what. 75% of the value of my drops have been sold to the GE - items that weren't worth alching. You know what that means if it held true for everyone (no way of knowing because I don't P2P PVP)? PVP causes deflation.

Allow me to paint a picture of how bad inflation really has been over the years. Coal has historically been the go-to item to get a read on it. It hovered between 150GP and 175GP just before the changes in the PVP drop table, and it just popped back over the 300GP mark again after the post-bonus XP weekend slump.

You're an active player in RuneScape. Why does it matter to you if one GP buys 1/100th of a piece of coal, or 1/300th, so long as 1 piece of coal buys 1/10th of an uncut emerald?

Hypothetically speaking, people should either be buying stuff to get rid of their GP, or selling stuff to get more of it.

Or they should not worry about it and play the game how they want to?

[/hide]

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

On the ficitonal article Unforeseen Consequences, the only thing I'm dissatisfied with is that the man refers to the child as Arrav. He wasn't known by this name until he had his encounter with goblins which cursed him by that name.

It would have been nicer if that was left out and we could just deduce who he was.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

On the ficitonal article Unforeseen Consequences, the only thing I'm dissatisfied with is that the man refers to the child as Arrav. He wasn't known by this name until he had his encounter with goblins which cursed him by that name.

It would have been nicer if that was left out and we could just deduce who he was.

It's because he's a reincarnation of Arrav of course.

Or hell, maybe it's just a common name nowadays. *shrug*

Really though, good articles, except that mistake in the economics article.

In Economics, the self regulating nature of supply and demand is generally referred to as 'The Price Mechanism' or 'The Invisible Hand'

[hide=quote train]

Inflation is NOT a bad thing though.

If everything rises proportionally the only people it affects is just finished the tutorial noobs, and the extremely rich.

Everyone else has expenses that rise with inflation and income that does as well.

The rich have a problem because of the money cap and the need to put money in rares to hold it - coupled with the rising cost of rares, while the brand new, newbie has the problem of armor and arrows being twice the price of before with no sound money making method to get it

besides the 1% of the richest and the 1% of the poorest players 98% of players are completely unaffected by inflation

So the point about certain moneymakers falling horribly behind because they have fixed alch values (or similar restraints) is completely lost on you? I said it is a fortunate thing that we can be flexible and change carreers every minute, but that alone is not enough of an excuse to let whole skills and areas of the game go unused...

If you disagree, name some big money makers that do not involve any combat or merchanting, besides hunting Grenwalls and making Nature Runes

Non combat money makers have always been bad, on the generic anti bot threads ive been trying to tell people this or a while.

"Bots r dum they ruined my money maker (refering to yews, fish *during summer*, or red chins)" My response is that even if bots werent around they would still be bad because they are tied to their alch prices, or utility value (in the case of fish, they are mostly a support healing method to familiars and SGS/EE)

Now for the noobs... err new players that think they will be rolling in bllions off cutting yews inflation would be a problem (just like bots) however its not the way to make money anyways in ideal situations. Combat always pays more, and some easy ways for a new player to make money would be killing dragons or collecting herbs from men or chaos druids. Both those methods rise with inflation and pay 10x more per hour then your average skilling method.

So yes inflation does hurt players, but it (much like bots) only hurts players already hurting themselves.

Now on the topic of bots ive mentioned, your opinion on do they benefit or hurt runescape is entirely on your point of view. For example Mr. Monster Hunter had a great week and earned 100mil profit, naturally a player like this would support lower prices as he or she would be the one who would benefit, as bots lower prices he or she by proxxy supports bots.

However a player that slaves away at yews (a terrible money maker in itself regardless) sees the price going down, he sees 3-4 bots on his tree thus he puts the two together that bots lowered his profits. Naturally this player will hate bots

The conclusion is several things, your right inflation does hurt those who are producing things tied to alch prices (such as yew logs) however they really are chopping off their own legs by doing such a lousy money maker to begin with. Combat money makers rise with inflation (d bones were 2k and now they are what 5k?).

The benefit or hurt that bots cause to runescape is extremely subjective. Ultimately your opinion about them comes from past experiences so it becomes an emotional argument (much like any moral issue), someone that got a skill to 99 for cheaper because of them is likely to tolerate them if not support their existance, and someone who is negatively affected by them is likely to damn them all to hell.

[/hide]

You're making several points at once here, so let me try and sum it up :)

I do not know how long you have been around, but you obviously did not read the very first bit of my article (the whole Yew Longbow business)... After that, 91 RC used to be top of the game money making until barrows and abyssal demons came out...

I get the fact that RuneScape evolves, but it used to be famous for being a very diverse game... But you cannot argue that people should move on to monster hunting and PVP worlds, and leave the woodcutting to bots... Well you could, but is that what you want RuneScape to look like?

My overall point is that both factors (inflation and bots) leave a HUGE portion of RuneScape that completely goes unenjoyed by people... Even some skills are nowhere near as popular as they used to be, so what does that tell you...

In an ideal world bots would not exist, then prices of fish and logs and chins would shoot up, and PLAYERS would jump into that gap because suddenly it is a good money maker again (tadaa, a player-regulated market)...

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
CLICK IT!