14-Dec-2010 - Damage Soaking and New Hitsplats

Michael

The thing that really gets me, I can't see them releasing this armour by recycling it through Bandos GW. *looks at picture*

Zaros Godwars boss, perhaps? Just because he was "banished" doesn't mean he doesn't have any remaining followers to fight in the Godwars dungeon.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From some quick googling on the word torva, if it is legit, it will probably be very goth/dark/evil looking armor. Just about every translation of the word was something along those lines.

Oh. Well, I can see that... But evil/dark/etc. armor that would increase life points? Still sounds a bit like a long shot.

Mm I can see that.

Something like "cursed" armor, maybe? Boosts life points but lowers defenses or negative damage absorb?

negative absorb would completely void the use of extra lp lol.. lp's best use is to prevent kos.. negative absorb would increase the dmg (and thus making extra life useless)..

:thumbup:

Amitoz.png

Come to my Clan chat (I'm there if I'm online) if you wish to borrow a Green H'ween mask, Blue H'ween Mask, Red H'ween Mask, or Santa for a reasonable price.

apparently, with ovl's turmoil and slayer task, 450 is near my max with balmung...

JAGGGEEEXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

It's your max Excluding boosts (slayer, prayer, potions)

REEAADDDINNNNGGG

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

wow I don't mean to spam but that's the worst spelling I've seen in ages

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

From some quick googling on the word torva, if it is legit, it will probably be very goth/dark/evil looking armor. Just about every translation of the word was something along those lines.

Oh. Well, I can see that... But evil/dark/etc. armor that would increase life points? Still sounds a bit like a long shot.

Mm I can see that.

Something like "cursed" armor, maybe? Boosts life points but lowers defenses or negative damage absorb?

That would be quite useless and possibly even determental.

Amitoz.png

Come to my Clan chat (I'm there if I'm online) if you wish to borrow a Green H'ween mask, Blue H'ween Mask, Red H'ween Mask, or Santa for a reasonable price.

Mm I can see that.

I agree with this, it wouldn't be beneficial in anyway other than to be able to safe up more....only to have your opponent dominate you yet again due to low defense

whatisrush-1.png

FlowerPower.png

Mm I can see that.

I agree with this, it wouldn't be beneficial in anyway other than to be able to safe up more....only to have your opponent dominate you yet again due to low defense

I really question his mindset when he was posting that, lol.

Amitoz.png

Mm I can see that.

You can't say it would be useless until you knew the specifications now could you?

What if I said: there's a shield that sometimes can absorb a little damage.

Am I talking about the Elysian, which is great. Or the rune kiteshield, which really isn't?

So let me clarify how damage soaking works. If you are hit a 500, the soak only applies to 300 of the damage inflicted? Therefore, with 20% soak if you are hit a 500, you'll absorb 60 damage and only take 440 damage?

Apparently. According to a formula Jagex posted on how to calculate the chaotic items absorb rate a while ago, it works that way.

wow I don't mean to spam but that's the worst spelling I've seen in ages

:unsure:

I'm thinking you meant detrimental. Yes, some of us can't ignore spelling, not when it's right after someone else comments on spelling in the previous post. Nothing to see here.

Mm I can see that.

You can't say it would be useless until you knew the specifications now could you?

Am I talking about the Elysian, which is great. Or the rune kiteshield, which really isn't?

There is so much wrong with your post, I don't even know what to say. I'll start by saying that the elysian doesn't lower your defences. Secondly, it's base stats are superior to that of the Rune Kitesheild, which makes it better even without the absorption. Please think before you post; the only reason anyone would want to use absorption armour to raise hitpoints at the cost of defence would be pures, because their defences don't exist; and I doubt you even thought of that before mindlessly posting.

Amitoz.png

Mm I can see that.

I'm sorry...but what? You weren't talking about anything even remotely close to an Elysian then.

whatisrush-1.png

FlowerPower.png

Some people really aren't getting the main goal of the damage soaking update. It's primarily to reduce max hits to prevent OHKOs and to counteract "damage inflation". That's why it only works for hits above 200, because it's mostly to prevent ridiculously quick deaths in PvP. On the other hand, it has much less of an impact on PvM, because monsters rarely hit over 200, and if they do, the amount soaking reduces isn't very significant in the long term of monster bashing. It's really to lower the KO potential in PvP, so people can't drop within seconds of the battle commencing.

That's why just because DFS doesn't have damage absorbing doesn't mean it's useless. It's still good for PvM because of its high defence and handy +7 strength.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

There is so much wrong with your post, I don't even know what to say. I'll start by saying that the elysian doesn't lower your defences. Secondly, it's base stats are superior to that of the Rune Kitesheild, which makes it better even without the absorption. Please think before you post; the only reason anyone would want to use absorption armour to raise hitpoints at the cost of defence would be pures, because their defences don't exist; and I doubt you even thought of that before mindlessly posting.

I suppose that's one way to completely miss the point of the post...

I'm sorry...but what? You weren't talking about anything even remotely close to an Elysian then.

And there's another.

The Elysian/Rune Kite was an example of the point I'm trying to make. Sometimes, it's important not to argue the example, but instead to argue the point. If you want me to state what I'm saying flatout, fine by me. Here it is:

You cannot say whether or not something is useless if you do not know any of the specifications. So maybe there's boots that increase your max LP and your regen, but lowers your defense.

You want to tell me from just that information that it's no good?

You want to tell me that from just that information given, you can immediately foresee all the applications and uses? Every niche? Every possibility?

You want to tell me that from just that information given, you can run efficiency calculations to determine whether or not a DFS or Divine is superior?

What if it doubles your LP and gives bunyip-esque regeneration at the cost of no defenses?

What if it gives +50/100 LP restore to any food/drinks you consume, at the cost of adding 5% damage to hits over 200?

What if it works like Guthans, and gives you a chance to heal what you hit, at the cost of being the armor equivalent to rune?

Is it still completely and utterly useless what you immediately assumed it to be?

Of course, I don't know what Jagex has in mind, if they have this in mind at all. It may very well be useless and pointless armor. But there's absolutely no way you could draw that conclusion from such a vague description. That's just ignorance and being trigger-happy with assumptions.

So let me clarify how damage soaking works. If you are hit a 500, the soak only applies to 300 of the damage inflicted? Therefore, with 20% soak if you are hit a 500, you'll absorb 60 damage and only take 440 damage?

Yes, that is how it works.

That's [bleep]ing worthless then.

td2sig.jpg

[hide]

And there's another.

The Elysian/Rune Kite was an example of the point I'm trying to make. Sometimes, it's important not to argue the example, but instead to argue the point. If you want me to state what I'm saying flatout, fine by me. Here it is:

You cannot say whether or not something is useless if you do not know any of the specifications. So maybe there's boots that increase your max LP and your regen, but lowers your defense.

You want to tell me that from just that information given, you can immediately foresee all the applications and uses? Every niche? Every possibility?

You want to tell me that from just that information given, you can run efficiency calculations to determine whether or not a DFS or Divine is superior?

What if it doubles your LP and gives bunyip-esque regeneration at the cost of no defenses?

What if it gives +50/100 LP restore to any food/drinks you consume, at the cost of adding 5% damage to hits over 200?

What if it works like Guthans, and gives you a chance to heal what you hit, at the cost of being the armor equivalent to rune?

Is it still completely and utterly useless what you immediately assumed it to be?

Of course, I don't know what Jagex has in mind, if they have this in mind at all. It may very well be useless and pointless armor. But there's absolutely no way you could draw that conclusion from such a vague description. That's just ignorance and being trigger-happy with assumptions.

[/hide]

Except you said nothing even close to that the first time

What you said the first time was this

Armor that allows me to eat past my max hp, but lets my opponent hit me more often/harder.

I fail to see how I was supposed to get your 'point' from what you said the first time.

For the future, YES! BE SPECIFIC THE FIRST TIME!

whatisrush-1.png

FlowerPower.png

[hide]

And there's another.

[/hide]

Except you said nothing even close to that the first time

What you said the first time was this

Armor that allows me to eat past my max hp, but lets my opponent hit me more often/harder.

I fail to see how I was supposed to get your 'point' from what you said the first time.

For the future, YES! BE SPECIFIC THE FIRST TIME!

No, what I said the first time was:

Boosts life points but lowers defenses or negative damage absorb?

Boosts life points. That may very well mean eating past max (which by itself would be enough to prove my point above, just with less examples), but it can also mean added rates of life point restoring. As in, I eat a shark, but got an added 50 LP to the 200 base LP it restored. Isn't that boosting your LP?

I apologize if I was too vague with my metaphors or comparisons. It's just that imo, it's easier to say something with a comparison than it is to type out the lengthy and arduous explanation.

But really, I thought it was pretty basic:

"You can't say it would be useless until you knew the specifications now could you?"

The point.

"What if I said: there's a shield that sometimes can absorb a little damage.

Am I talking about the Elysian, which is great. Or the rune kiteshield, which really isn't?"

The example. Sure it's unrelated, but it gives the point across imo, so...

Just a little more thought was required?

Boosts life points means...boosts life points, you have more life points....

You're on a discussion forum, you're supposed to discuss your point, not give a metaphor and hope people know what you're talking about.

And don't insult me for not understanding an extremely vague post.

whatisrush-1.png

FlowerPower.png

Yes, that is how it works.

That's [bleep]ing worthless then.

Your just figuring this out now....? Anyways, not entirely worthless. Great against people doing high damage on you... Pity it doesn't work on say koraskis very well (person melees you, you wear melee armour, no mage absorp for spec; you wear non-melee armour and you don't have too much melee def to begin with.) or d claws, as your dealing with 4 hits which could deal 800LP in one spec without going over 200LP for absorption. As a plus for some players (like me) claws should go up now :)

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.