14-Dec-2010 - Damage Soaking and New Hitsplats

Michael

so has anyone gone to fight nomad and figured out what style of attack he uses?

Yes.

He's not using melee, obviously, since it's a projectile. It splashes on you.

Also, try tanking him with melee armour on. Take an inventory of monkfish. Now try it with ranged gear. Same inventory of monkfish.

Now that you've figured that out, try tanking him with range gear (since you've discovered it's a magical attack) and tank with pro mage on. Tank without.

Tested those when Nomad came out. He uses mage, and pro mage DOES have an effect. (I think. Not like I can double check it now...) Jagex just likes to give newer boss monsters some prayer ignore capability.

On topic: I'm a little disappointed in the absorb rates. I also think it's misleading and dumb to put it on lower level armour; I mean, how many people in, say, black armour are ever going to get hit 200+? >.<

Seriously though, I think they should either raise the absorption rates, or remove the 200LP thing and *maybe* lower them.

Best would've been if they'd redone much armour: with soaking you can actually make 2 armour types of equal "quality" but more desire base (what do you want: getting hit more dps yet lowering the max hit, or less dps but with higher max hits? - if it is balanced this will improve the variety a lot!)

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They removed the zeros.

I like the zeros.

I like to see my character bathed in zeros.

Now I get a stupid shield with an arrow bouncing off it.

I agree with this, though it may simply be aversion to change. Also, either I haven't had a max hit splat yet (using ks specs), or they show up for the highest 20% of your hits, or I'm all wrong. Can someone enlighten me?

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

I'm not entirely sure. The max hit one worries me though, considering how hard it is to max. At least, max using potions excluding the overload. My guess for the KS is either you simply haven't hit your max yet and that the max ONLY works for the max (i.e. your max is 655, you hit 654 and it doesn't show) or the max thing doesn't work for special attacks.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

They removed the zeros.

I like the zeros.

I like to see my character bathed in zeros.

Now I get a stupid shield with an arrow bouncing off it.

I agree with this, though it may simply be aversion to change. Also, either I haven't had a max hit splat yet (using ks specs), or they show up for the highest 20% of your hits, or I'm all wrong. Can someone enlighten me?

Max hits show up whenever you hit something >= your max with your current stats/gear, so like an AGS or Korasi's spec like you tried. It appears as a ovalish orange splat. Have you gotten on of those? I dunno what you could be doing wrong otherwise.

I managed to land one in with some DDS specs on the mini orks at bork. However, when I trained ranged with my pure on F2P for about an hour, I didn't hit a single max splat, so I'm not sure what's going on tehre.

Anyone else hate that when you're looking from a top down perspective, the hit splats appear over your opponent's HP bar? Wish Jagex would move it about 30 pixels lower.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Anyone else hate that when you're looking from a top down perspective, the hit splats appear over your opponent's HP bar? Wish Jagex would move it about 30 pixels lower.

I hate even more than they cover your OWN hp bar, especially if you're under attack from multiple things. Died once at TDs already from that- it got confusing with all the hit splats moving around and different damage bubbles making it harder for me to see what I got hit and not even being able to see my HP bar -.-

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

Jelly.pngOccultEpicKeyer21.pngBladewing.png

Speaking of which, can Jagex even calculate our max hit? Just wondering, since according to monster info or examine or whatever.... Jad's max is 930. But we know that's not true...

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png

Speaking of which, can Jagex even calculate our max hit? Just wondering, since according to monster info or examine or whatever.... Jad's max is 930. But we know that's not true...

Monster examine only accounts for melee max hits.

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

And on the Wyven subject.

It has always been known that the ball thingy when it flaps it's wings is a range attack.

The real mystery is the breath attack, if I remember right, someone here on tif noticed it has different sound effects, either 2 or 3 different kinds of attacks, (but I think they still are all magic but it has different abilities)

Or something in that area.

It only has two attack styles ranged and a non-combat triangle hit splat which I will call wyvern's breath.

It has no magic attacks.

There is a tail swipe but since it never hits me and I only get the dumb shield icon I can't tell if its melee or wyvern breath attack.

Best solution is to stand back a few wyvern lengths and range it with range prayer on.

The guide with the guy in verac's praying melee was wrong.

The guide with the guy who stuck the wyvern by the door and went to long range mode was only partially correct since you don't need to be in long range mode if you pray range.

Congradulations to everybody saying "i told you so".

Isn't it lovely that hindsight is always 20-20.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

And on the Wyven subject.

It has always been known that the ball thingy when it flaps it's wings is a range attack.

The real mystery is the breath attack, if I remember right, someone here on tif noticed it has different sound effects, either 2 or 3 different kinds of attacks, (but I think they still are all magic but it has different abilities)

Or something in that area.

It only has two attack styles ranged and a non-combat triangle hit splat which I will call wyvern's breath.

It has no magic attacks.

There is a tail swipe but since it never hits me and I only get the dumb shield icon I can't tell if its melee or wyvern breath attack.

Best solution is to stand back a few wyvern lengths and range it with range prayer on.

The guide with the guy in verac's praying melee was wrong.

The guide with the guy who stuck the wyvern by the door and went to long range mode was only partially correct since you don't need to be in long range mode if you pray range.

Congradulations to everybody saying "i told you so".

Isn't it lovely that hindsight is always 20-20.

...We already knew absolutely everything you just posted before the hitsplat update.

The max hit splats don't account for boosts... I know they exclude prayers and fero ring, so they probably also exclude pots. Kinda dumb imo.

Ah thanks, I was getting tons of splats, at 485ish with rapier, while my max is 540ish, but if that doesn't account for turmoil then it's a bit useless. Same with the KS I guess.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Constancy getting hit 200+? you must be doing something wrong then, as most of the 200+ hits come from bosses(which they had no intention on making easier) and skill doors(same thing). Before you say you are disappointing about an update, you have to be smart enough to set your expectations at a realistic level. This update was introduced to reduce damage in pvp, thus it'd been stupid to assume dungeoneering would be affected.

Actually, I share his concern and it was one of the first things that came to my mind when I signed into the game minutes after the update. I can tell you from experience(and I hardly one to play the "I am X therefore.." card but...), I am 105 Dungeoneering, having done my fair share of dungeon, his assessment is correct. A lot of Dungeoneering monsters DO hit high, higher than other monsters at their level anywhere else. In fact, most monsters(Brutes, Shades, Necros, Forgotten Mages, Warriors, Zombies, Skeletons etc.) at the high level end(assuming you a high level player, this is what you are going to encounter in plentiful ways CAN easily hit 200+). Though, the harm can be avoided in single enounters by praying, of couse due to Necros and Forgotten Mages, that is not often the case.

Though, I will conceed that Jage WAS looking to fix PVP mostly, but regardless this does have *some* implications for PVM too(otherwise they could/should have restricted it to PVP Worlds only), so I don't think from that mind set it is too much to expect that they could extend these implications to Dungeoneering too. I am not enraged or demand this or anything but I do think there are plenty of things that undermine the diversity that is inherent in Dungeoneering and really make it generic and make a good portion of the combat options obsolete. I suppose, I don't even care too much for the soaking in dungeon but other fixes do need to be made, A great deal of suggestions have been made though it is unlikely Jagex is going to adopt them anytrime soon which is why I suppose some of us were placing their hopes here.

Aside from that though, I think update was done well enough to have probably accomplished its stated objective in the PVP realm.

Interesting if true.

That's a line from somewhere, I know it...

Personally I think it's a fake. If HP armour were introduced, why would it be a bandos drop? Why isn't torva capitalized? Just feels false to me. Could be wrong though.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png

some players stumbled on this.

they say it was changed a few hours after leak.

took this image off a thread on rune-tips.

torva.jpg

Well now... Torva armor? Idk. Maybe it's legit. Maybe not, though. I mean, come on... Torva?

The challenge of a mistake is not to avoid it. The challenge of a mistake is dealing with the outcome.

bc8ebae3b0.png

Proud of who I am and what I am.

Well now... Torva armor? Idk. Maybe it's legit. Maybe not, though. I mean, come on... Torva?

From some quick googling on the word torva, if it is legit, it will probably be very goth/dark/evil looking armor. Just about every translation of the word was something along those lines.

From some quick googling on the word torva, if it is legit, it will probably be very goth/dark/evil looking armor. Just about every translation of the word was something along those lines.

Oh. Well, I can see that... But evil/dark/etc. armor that would increase life points? Still sounds a bit like a long shot.

The challenge of a mistake is not to avoid it. The challenge of a mistake is dealing with the outcome.

bc8ebae3b0.png

Proud of who I am and what I am.

Oh. Well, I can see that... But evil/dark/etc. armor that would increase life points? Still sounds a bit like a long shot.

As untrustworthy as the RSOF are most of the time, there's a thread there with numerous people swearing blind that they saw the article on KB before it was changed.

Whether this is true or not, the fact that the word torva isn't capitalised leads me to believe that it's a new type of ore, perhaps related to the smithing rework. Assuming the screenshot is true obviously.

Sylpheed.png

Mm I can see that.

Something like "cursed" armor, maybe? Boosts life points but lowers defenses or negative damage absorb?

Mm I can see that.

Something like "cursed" armor, maybe? Boosts life points but lowers defenses or negative damage absorb?

negative absorb would completely void the use of extra lp lol.. lp's best use is to prevent kos.. negative absorb would increase the dmg (and thus making extra life useless)..

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

The thing that really gets me, I can't see them releasing this armour by recycling it through Bandos GW. *looks at picture*

Actually, if put there, all it suggests is that torva is melee armour and that you get it from GW. Also, only thing I could find out about torva was it's a variation on some plant and a town in Europe.

Hmm, this better not be the only HP boosting armour. Better not only be melee. I still think releasing it via GW is lame. We need some new bosses anyways, to challenge those 138s with chaotics and overloads.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png

Wow, what a daring prediction. Equipment that boosts max HP? Nobody could have seen that coming! It's not as if Jagex explicitly stated that the ability for them to do that was one of the primary advantages of the LP change. :roll: