With this latest update, the damage soaking ability has been added to much of RuneScapes armour, which means they will also now absorb a percentage of any damage you receive over 200 life points. Previously, only three Dungeoneering rewards had this ability (the farseer, eagle-eye and chaotic kiteshields), but it has been applied to many other shields, headgear, body and leg armour, in all three combat disciplines.
This ability has been added in line with the combat triangle, so youll find that magic armour is generally better at soaking melee damage, for instance. Also, how much damage you can soak is cumulative based on all the armour you have equipped, which should add an extra dimension to choosing what combat gear you wear.
All armour stat tables in the Game Guide have been updated with this new information, so you might wish to take a look there first. Most of these tables are found in the Skills category (particular in Magic, Melee and Ranged), but there are also some found in the Combat, Activities and Miscellaneous Guides categories.
To complement this update and provide further feedback during combat, you'll find we've also made extensive changes to the hitsplat system, as we first mentioned in the Damage Control blog.
The main features of the new hitsplats are:
* New animated hitsplat graphics.
* Damage type is now displayed next to the hitsplat to help identify what damage you are taking - melee, ranged, magic - and hence what prayer/curse might help reduce or prevent the damage.
* Further damage types you can now distinguish between cannon, deflected and other damage (e.g. desert heat, dragon breath).
* Max hit splats if you hit your max hit (or above it via use of special attacks) you'll see a different, more vibrant hitsplat that will show off your combat ability.
* Faded splats any damage caused or taken by either you or your familiar will be shown by a vibrantly coloured hitsplat. Any damage caused or taken by other players will be shown by a faded hitsplat. This allows you to see what damage you are taking or dealing if you are in a group, so now you'll really know if you were the big damage dealer in your group!
* If your armour helps you soak damage, you'll have another splat displayed alongside the damage, so you can see how much each hit has been reduced by.
Mod Chris L
RuneScape Content Developer
In other news...
Duke Horacio has realised that players may want to have multiple anti-dragon shields, so will now offer another shield to any who ask.
The following small fixes and adjustments have now been made to the game. If you spot any further bugs in-game, please use the Bug Report feature ('Submit a Bug Report' under the 'Help' drop-down menu of the website).
* The tightrope in the circus has been lowered slightly so it doesn't have a gap.
* Players will no longer disappear if hit by aquanites while wearing certain gear.
* Flickering issues in the Brimhaven Agility Arena have been fixed.
* Goblin teleport spheres now look different in a player's inventory.
* Players will no longer have hair sticking through their hats on logging in.
* The Myths of the White Lands ice area no longer flickers.
* The Saradomin prayer book has had the star on the cover returned.
* Pyramid Plunder gold seals have had their detail returned.
* Blue berets now render correctly with the short hair and fringe hairstyle.
* The minimap around Keldagrim has been updated to not show some wall edges.
* Swamp water has been updated in Soul Wars and the swamp east of Sophanem.
* The Elemental Workshop water tank now displays correctly in OpenGL and DirectX modes.
* The animation for two-handed swords has been updated.
* The punk hairstyle no longer sticks through hats.
* Revenant goblin heads no longer move strangely.
Quests and Tasks
* The Monkey See, Monkey Do music track during Do No Evil will now unlock on logging in if a player has progressed beyond that point in the quest.
* Several In Search of the Myreque typos have been fixed.
* The explorer's ring now gives warnings if trying to cast an Alchemy spell on a high value item.
* The "Altar-ed State" Task now correctly lists 95 Prayer as a requirement.
* The Ardougne Elite Task rewards now correctly list Bert for collecting sand.
* The Falador squire will now talk about the Falador Task rewards.
* The requirements for the "A Meal Fit for a Duke" Task have been corrected.
* The Varrock Tasks no longer refer to battelstaves.
* The Fremennik Tasks have had "Fremmenik" typos fixed.
* Equipping the relevant claws now completes the "Temper, Temper" and "Not What We Mean by Irony" Tasks.
Activities and Distractions
* The circus map icon will now be located in the correct place.
* Performing emotes while trying to begin a duel will no longer give a confusing message about incorrect equipped items.
* The German Report Abuse interface will now show a player's full display name.
* The Bind, Snare and Entangle spells will once again work on implings.
* Chat above a players head when wearing the cyclopean helm is now lowered.
* There will now be a more descriptive message when receiving seeds from jadinkos.
* Mithril seeds can no longer be planted in the Herblore Habitat.
* Destroying a Battered Tome no longer refers to Crumbling Tomes.
* Pet chameleons now remember their colour more often when being called.
* Clue scrolls now refer to adamant armour instead of adamantite.
* The ghost in Port Phasmatys no longer gets confused about whether you have a ghostspeak amulet equipped or not.
* Wiley cats will now talk to players if they're wearing a cramulet.
* Advisor Ghrim now understands what "No" means when deciding not to collect resources.
* Kuradal no longer gives aquanite tasks to players who have recently switched Slayer masters.
* It is no longer possible to hide the Dungeoneering banker underneath a marker plant.