Jagex to develop Transformers MMO for 2012.

Sylpheed

to be fair - I don't think it really matters who the hell does a transformer MMO, it just seems to me as a gamer and transformer toy/autograph collector that it's a doomed property.

That's probably true but I guess we'll have to wait and see what sort of MMO it turns out to be. I very much doubt it'll be an RPG (not a straight out one anyway, maybe have RPG elements to it). Hopefully it's at least a semi-successful game and won't be an outright failure. Will be interesting to see where it releases compared to Stellar Dawn too as I doubt Jagex will want them both coming out around the same time, if Transformers comes out first and does indeed flop then that could have a huge impact in Stellar Dawn's publicity and gathering new players. With 8Realms, Stellar Dawn and now this Transformers game coming out over the next 12 months it's interesting to see what will happen with them.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I don't see it being very successful judging by the games they released post-RuneScape. If they want to be able to compete, they're going to have to have decent graphics in their game, at least for the wider market.

This is a good point. Gamers have been spoiled by the next-gen almost-lifelike graphics of PS3/X360 games, so looking at something with cartoony, pixelated graphics is going to be a big turn-off for many people. I grew up on Sega Saturn era RPGS, so I put a little less value on graphics, but I'm likely in the minority on that.

td2sig.jpg

I think it really depends on which transformers jagex is going to do. G1 or G2 woulld probably be geared mostly towards adults and they could probably get away with lower graphics ect just because of the original series graphics. Who knows, might have a nostalgic apeal to the older fans if the graphics are similar to g1 or 2. But if there is even one mistake the fans would tear jagex to shreds.

If they base it off of the latest sereies, animated or whatever its called, where its a young childrens cartoon it will probably flop from lack of intrest because it would only apeal to the newest fans.

I would hope that they got chosen to do a game for armada/energon or beast wars. Something thats newer but doesn't have an entirly kid fanbase.

If they do a teaser for the third movie it will probably flop because Jagex would have to do some killer graphics, which isn't gonna happen.

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

I think it really depends on which transformers jagex is going to do. G1 or G2 woulld probably be geared mostly towards adults and they could probably get away with lower graphics ect just because of the original series graphics. Who knows, might have a nostalgic apeal to the older fans if the graphics are similar to g1 or 2. But if there is even one mistake the fans would tear jagex to shreds.

If they base it off of the latest sereies, animated or whatever its called, where its a young childrens cartoon it will probably flop from lack of intrest because it would only apeal to the newest fans.

I would hope that they got chosen to do a game for armada/energon or beast machines. Something thats newer but doesn't have an entirly kid fanbase.

If they do a teaser for the third movie it will probably flop because Jagex would have to do some killer graphics, which isn't gonna happen.

You make a valid point on G1/G2 Graphics. However that fanbase is very touchy for accuracy and detail - you think runescape players whine? G1 Transformer fan's will be anal over a paint color. Voice acting is key for G1 - Some actors are dead (Latta for Starscream could be substituted perfectly by charles adler) - but the voice actors of prominent characters like Ratchet, Jazz, Thrust, Inferno are dead, Not to mention the voice of Devastator Arthur Burghardt - is pretty hateful to transformers fans and doesn't seem willing to touch anything transformer based currently.

if it is G1 The story if it's "cannon" will only cause people to riot if something crazy happens. IF a character got killed from continuity from a videogame - god have mercy on any developers soul.

Armada/Energon are interesting picks - but the cartoons were not as loved stateside - more of a comic thing. The toy lines did well.

Beast Wars/Machines were fun as a kid, but man, going back to that animation in 2011 is hard to watch.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

Even if this game is bad, or flops entirely, it doesn't matter. The obvious strive for this license/game is for publicity. This is something Jagex can use to get more into the mainstream of not just online gaming, but in the mainstream of the public. Transformers is larger than Runescape or Jagex, and Jagex has pretty much secured a strong future for the next few years.

I never see Jagex or Runescape on any gaming news sites, nor on any TV news shows. With this, I've seen Jagex (not Runescape), being plastered all over all of the gaming blogs and gaming news sites. It's only a matter of time for Jagex to start being tossed around in more global and public news sites.

In short, very impressive and thoughtout business move by Jagex. Let's hope they capitalize on it and make the best of it they can.

Also, Jagex is going to use the Stellar Dawn engine or with the license they got from Hasbro, they got access to some other engine. They're definitely not starting from scratch on this. The two bigs things for Jagex is going to be content and graphics. Which is all doable in the short time they have.

A lot of gaming sites are linking it to RuneScape though when mentioning this announcement. But yes, this is huge publicity for Jagex and it wouldn't surprise me if we see a decent increase in new players over the coming weeks based on this announcement. It doesn't even have to be an amazing game for them to profit hugely from this (and I don't mean profit in terms of money, although I guess indirectly they will). But of course if it is a good game that'll help too :P.

How does somebody be anal over voice acting for a character that sounds like Cobra Commander?

Anyway I hope there is no energon mining for 4 hours straight

On the other end of the spectrum I hope it's not a bunch of minigames strung together wtih a chat room and called a free to play clone wars mmo

I mean transformers mmo

what did I say?

8f14270694.jpg

How does somebody be anal over voice acting for a character that sounds like Cobra Commander?

Chris Latta is a god to us. (i'm guessing you know Cobra Commander/Star Scream were the same guy)

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

I would hope that they got chosen to do a game for armada/energon or beast machines. Something thats newer but doesn't have an entirly kid fanbase.

You make a valid point on G1/G2 Graphics. However that fanbase is very touchy for accuracy and detail - you think runescape players whine? G1 Transformer fan's will be anal over a paint color. Voice acting is key for G1 - Some actors are dead (Latta for Starscream could be substituted perfectly by charles adler) - but the voice actors of prominent characters like Ratchet, Jazz, Thrust, Inferno are dead, Not to mention the voice of Devastator Arthur Burghardt - is pretty hateful to transformers fans and doesn't seem willing to touch anything transformer based currently.

if it is G1 The story if it's "cannon" will only cause people to riot if something crazy happens. IF a character got killed from continuity from a videogame - god have mercy on any developers soul.

Armada/Energon are interesting picks - but the cartoons were not as loved stateside - more of a comic thing. The toy lines did well.

Beast Wars/Machines were fun as a kid, but man, going back to that animation in 2011 is hard to watch.

I used to/still do love G1 transformers. (Except for Rodimus)

Are Welker and Cullen basically the only G1 voice actors left alive?

Sylpheed.png

Wait, they're doing one of those? They certainly seem to have a lot of projects going on at the moment. Cool!

I think it could work out. However, there would be some important thigns to consider: really, wether to stick to the "plot" or wether to ditch that and go for something that maybe takes place either a long time before or a long time after the series most people know about.

It's a nice publciity move. I think it could make a really nice MMO, and I'm sure Jagex can easily sovle the graphics problem so long as they force you to play it through your own browser.

Like it or not, Runescape is Jagex's most successful ever project, so obviously people are going to link them. If nothing else, hopefully more people will become interested in runescape following Jagex's increased publicity :) .

I'm not an efficienado.

I don't know much about Transformers, so I can't say whether or not I want G1/G2 etc, but all I can say is that it better not turn into some Bay-splosions movie offshoot where every 10 seconds something blows up.

In light of what Das said about Transformer fans being so anal about detail, I can see this turning out poorly. I don't want it to, no one should wish failure on someone else, but sometimes it's inevitable (especially with the shear number of anti-Jagex trolls out there).

The major positive from this is that it brings Jagex into a whole new group of players. Until now, things like FunOrb or War of Legends has mostly been made up of Runescape players who transfer over for a few months to check it out. This should bring in enough outside players that Jagex makes money on their other projects even if this one flops.

Are Welker and Cullen basically the only G1 voice actors left alive?

Nah, not at all.

Michael Bell is still alive and doing conventions - He voiced Prowl, Swoop, Scrapper and some others.

Jack Angel is still alive and well (Ultra Magnus)

Susan Blu (Acree) is still alive and doing voice work

Gregg Berger (Jetfire/Grimlock) is still around and does lots of conventions

Wally Burr (writer) is still alive

Arthur Burghardt - is alive, but not overly fond of transformers this day and age.

Corey Burton (shockwave) - is alive and still doing voice acting, he was last in the clone wars cartoon.

Victor Caroli - the narrator is still alive.

Paul Eiding, Laurie Faso are still kicking

Rodimus Prime (Dick Guatier) is still alive and well)

Dan Gilvezan is still alive and well - he's quite young and still does some transformers work.

Overall of 100ish total voice actors for the G1 Cartoon (From additional voices to one episode guys to main actors) only 12 or so are dead .

Cool fact is most of the voice actors also worked on my favorite cartoon - gi joe :P

Abraham Lincoln

So just in short terms: all resources for RuneScape, StellarDawn, FunOrb (which is already abandoned by players AND developers) will go to the development of a new MMO within one year, aimed at a very critical audience. This can only be a fail, for all the things Jagex has in its pockets, err, I mean, the shareholders have in pockets. RuneScape will get even less quality updates and much needed fixes, the massive sinkhole StellarDawn will be put aside for a long time, FunOrb will remain dead, and finally, they'll screw over the Transformers game BIG TIME.

God, I miss the game that was developed by a band of three brothers, their best friend and some staff...

$5 says there will be lots of RS or FO crap all over the place, either on their site or obvious in-game copy+paste

Novite_Mike.png

The corp beast, is, well, just a corp beast. He doesnt even have any friends.

[spoiler=Other Quotes]tbh idk why this makes me laugh so hard

All DFS threads turn into efficiency flame wars >.>

>OP asks "why use DFS?"

>everyone says "there is no reason"

>someone says "stop bashing people who use DFS, efficiency troll ass clown"

>thread is now a flame fest

Selling autobots partyhat for 30 million energon!

86823-transformers-2-party-hats.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

Beast Wars defined my early childhood. :mellow:

This. I loved Tranformers: Beast Wars growing up. I just can't see this project turning out well. I really hope it does, 'cause Jagex could probably use the money (TO SPEND ON MORE CLAN EVENTS HURRRRR), but I sincerely doubt it. They can't get Runescape right at all, so how are they going to do this? And what about the other two MMO's they're working on?

Doomed to fail, I say, and that's not even taking into account what Das said.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

So just in short terms: all resources for RuneScape, StellarDawn, FunOrb (which is already abandoned by players AND developers) will go to the development of a new MMO within one year, aimed at a very critical audience. This can only be a fail, for all the things Jagex has in its pockets, err, I mean, the shareholders have in pockets. RuneScape will get even less quality updates and much needed fixes, the massive sinkhole StellarDawn will be put aside for a long time, FunOrb will remain dead, and finally, they'll screw over the Transformers game BIG TIME.

God, I miss the game that was developed by a band of three brothers, their best friend and some staff...

Different development teams. Of course that would require you using common sense and just posting crap with no basis to it other than trying to be the cool kid in bashing Jagex.

http://www.jagex.com/careers#/vacancies

Look there, they're recruiting for 3 different projects. Stellar Dawn, RuneScape and "New MMO". They are completely separate teams working on each game (just like how FunOrb development was separate from RuneScape's).

Frank Welker did Megatron and Soundwave (Also fred on scooby doo).

Man is a god of voice acting.

http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/Frank-Welker/

Abraham Lincoln

Different development teams. Of course that would require you using common sense and just posting crap with no basis to it other than trying to be the cool kid in bashing Jagex.

http://www.jagex.com/careers#/vacancies

Look there, they're recruiting for 3 different projects. Stellar Dawn, RuneScape and "New MMO". They are completely separate teams working on each game (just like how FunOrb development was separate from RuneScape's).

My common sense tells me in no other way the deadline can be made without moving even more people from the RS team to the new team. If they are going to hire people who have never been into the Jagex coding style etc without moving an expert base to the new team, the game will be an even bigger joke, just telling.

And yeah, I'm bashing Jagex, this company has lost all my confidence the past months, seven years I've tried to understand and defend their way of thinking, but now I'm getting too tired from it.

Frank Welker did Megatron and Soundwave (Also fred on scooby doo).

Man is a god of voice acting.

http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/Frank-Welker/

Derp. Should have known that. Kinda dissapointed me when he wasn't asked to do the voice for Megatron in the first feature film. Although I heard it was to do with the fact that he couldn't do the scratchy throat destroying voice as well as he used to.

/offtopic

As well as everyone else, other than generating publicity (good or bad) for Jagex I really don't see this being successful at all. Michael Bay's adaptation of them pretty much made all the G1 fans want to kill him so if Jagex screw it up...

They ded.

Sylpheed.png