Jagex to develop Transformers MMO for 2012.

Sylpheed

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Comments from transformer toy boards.

Hopefully it'll look better than Runescape does.

*Shudder*

Jagex has that funorb thing. Full of what I guess they consider to be "online" games.

they're a reletively modest independent game maker known for (reletively) cheep and free online games.
If this project had someone like Bioware behind it I might rate an even speculative possibillity of it even competing with WOW, but this company? No.

it should be pointed out one more time that Hasbro did NOT say MMO, they said "online game" the two are not the same.

Also hope its not like runecape cause that games not that great.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

One year to develop a full MMO? I highly doubt it, even the best companies in the world with thousands working on a game could barely pull that off. I wouldn't expect anthing like it until 2013 at the earliest.

I'm not to good on what happens when a country acquires a new licence like this, does Hasbro give Jagex he funding for it? If so, it's great news for Jagex indeed. (Please for the love of god I hope nobody comments that they are selling out or something along those lines)

EDIT: What is with the sheer hate on Jagex here by the way? Hoping the game crashes and burns, thinking it will destroy RS? Where is the basis for these opinions?

If it's going to be web-browser based (like most Jagex titles) then 1 year is more than enough time.

They'll probably base most of it off SD layout and/or designs.

it should be pointed out one more time that Hasbro did NOT say MMO, they said "online game" the two are not the same.

The powerhouse Transformers IP will next year get a brand new MMO following an agreement between casual behemoth Jagex and rights holder Hasbro.

Lol, DERP.

anyway, i agree with dax. it dosent really seem that theres enough of a MMO market for transformers. and Im not really sure what the fianl game would look like, so i cant really judge it yet. (coughunlikeotherpeoplecough) But i am pretty skeptical. is it java based? Is it gonna be a download game? There really isnt enough info at this time.

Linkzelda30.jpeg

image2ez.png

[hide=Siggy credits]The Awesome, Epic, Amazing, S3xah A-10 Sig By Unolexi! I wub u Uno!

InsanityV2 Did the Franz Ferdinand Sig.

Killerwatt is responsible for the Arctic Monkeys sig.

Pat_61 did the B-2 sig and the raptor sig.[/hide]

One year to develop a full MMO? I highly doubt it, even the best companies in the world with thousands working on a game could barely pull that off. I wouldn't expect anthing like it until 2013 at the earliest.

I'm not to good on what happens when a country acquires a new licence like this, does Hasbro give Jagex he funding for it? If so, it's great news for Jagex indeed. (Please for the love of god I hope nobody comments that they are selling out or something along those lines)

EDIT: What is with the sheer hate on Jagex here by the way? Hoping the game crashes and burns, thinking it will destroy RS? Where is the basis for these opinions?

They announced it today. Doesn't mean they started production of the game today as well. I'm sure it's been in the works for a while now. Jagex is good at keeping things tight to their chest until they want other people to know.

Here is the Gamespot article about it as well: http://www.gamespot....nes%3Btitle%3B4

And I just noticed they didn't capitalize the "S" in RuneScape! eusa_naughty.gificon_razz.gif

I played the last transformers game, War for Cybertron or something like that. It was really fun, and I even played the multiplayer for a bit. After putting quite a few hours into that game, I just don't see how someone could play as a transformer for hours on end in an MMO.

Looking forward to see how this plays out.

Big_Stingman.png

I'm very interested to see how this turns out :)

As I am. Who knows, might be something good?

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

Is it possible that Hasbro is planning another Transformer series and this mmo is a way to promote it? Because the old series would be very touchy to adapt, the new series wasn't very successful for the target audience of mmos, and the new movies were total [cabbage] and have too little mythology behind them.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

Is it possible that Hasbro is planning another Transformer series and this mmo is a way to promote it? Because the old series would be very touchy to adapt, the new series wasn't very successful for the target audience of mmos, and the new movies were total [cabbage] and have too little mythology behind them.

Yes, transformers prime

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformers:_Prime

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

As long as it doesn't cause Runescape's updates to take a turn for the worse, i'm all for it.

Amen.

Besides I think a lot of you are forgetting that Jagex have had projects like this in development for a while already, who's to say that they haven't been already working on this for the past year?

My name is Optimus Prime. We are autonomous robotic organisms from the planet TransformerScape.

196401_171075179611881_100001282006049_427678_2361974_n.jpg

(Image courtesy of the photoshop pro King Runite1)

RIP Michaelangelopolous

SELL OUTS.

La dee da da, I know there a god damn company and need to get bigger an all that jazz, but a transformers game from hasbro? Honestly that's the lowest of the low, do people actually believe there is a big market for games like this? These games are just created with short development times, and low budgets just to squeeze every ounce of revenue out of the movies.

patr1ckotg1.png

I'll hold my tongue until I see some results, but judging by the fact that Transformers is a kids TV show... well - that already speaks volume to me.

A "kids" TV show that's original fanbase are now in the prime 25-35 age band that spend the most money. Its an optimal group to market for. I think this game will be more than meets the eye and am looking forward to hearing more about it.

They were action figures first and foremost.

Just like GI Joe and He-man.

It's what kids played with before video games caught on.

You know before nintendo or sega master system.

Once the toys caught on, then Hasbro decided to cash in big by having somebody make a cartoon about it.

Thus the old 80's cartoon which was decent until they made that movie with Lenord Nemoy.

Been utter garbage since.

Unless the Gower's make it like the action figures or the old cartoon that we used to watch, then it will be utter crap like the two live action "movies".

Anyway, this signals the beginning of the end for runescape as Jagex tries to become the next Activision.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

I'll hold my tongue until I see some results, but judging by the fact that Transformers is a kids TV show... well - that already speaks volume to me.

A "kids" TV show that's original fanbase are now in the prime 25-35 age band that spend the most money. Its an optimal group to market for. I think this game will be more than meets the eye and am looking forward to hearing more about it.

They were action figures first and foremost.

Just like GI Joe and He-man.

It's what kids played with before video games caught on.

You know before nintendo or sega master system.

Once the toys caught on, then Hasbro decided to cash in big by having somebody make a cartoon about it.

Thus the old 80's cartoon which was decent until they made that movie with Lenord Nemoy.

Been utter garbage since.

Unless the Gower's make it like the action figures or the old cartoon that we used to watch, then it will be utter crap like everything since including the two live action "movies".

Anyway, this signals the beginning of the end for runescape as Jagex tries to become the next Activision.

Even though the RS online users has gone up since Free Trade, the overall traffic visiting the website has consistently dropped since 2007 (except for a small spike right after Free Trade). This game has been doomed for a while now. Why do you think the Gowers bowed out?

td2sig.jpg