Jagex to develop Transformers MMO for 2012.

Sylpheed

This could be cool, not sure I'd want 3 mmo's on the go at once though. Only thing I'm slightly concerned about is if they're using the stellar dawn model for it (they haven't released any new SD info in about 4 months)....realise this is very unlikely but jagex is makin me paranoid with their no info

Join "DGS" Guest Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn

WarpedHeroKeyer16.pngblood_neck.png

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll hold my tongue until I see some results, but judging by the fact that Transformers is a kids TV show... well - that already speaks volume to me.

A "kids" TV show that's original fanbase are now in the prime 25-35 age band that spend the most money. Its an optimal group to market for. I think this game will be more than meets the eye and am looking forward to hearing more about it.

Just because you're interested in a kid's show doesn't mean the vast majority of the populous is.

Just because you're not, doesn't mean the vast majority of the populous isn't.

Transformers is more popular then you realise. It is a huge license for Jagex to get.

Hmm... I sense some fanboy product-protective feelings.

I honestly think that this game will fail, just judging off choosing to base it off ... Transformers.. I mean come on Jagex.

Amitoz.png

Come to my Clan chat (I'm there if I'm online) if you wish to borrow a Green H'ween mask, Blue H'ween Mask, Red H'ween Mask, or Santa for a reasonable price.

I'll hold my tongue until I see some results, but judging by the fact that Transformers is a kids TV show... well - that already speaks volume to me.

A "kids" TV show that's original fanbase are now in the prime 25-35 age band that spend the most money. Its an optimal group to market for. I think this game will be more than meets the eye and am looking forward to hearing more about it.

Just because you're interested in a kid's show doesn't mean the vast majority of the populous is.

He never said he was interested in it. The original Transformers came out in 1984, any fans it had then will now be in their 20's, with fans coming in at all ages younger, and some older too. It is a prime fan-base for any game to try and tap into.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Jagex are a games Development Studio. If they were to only develop Runescape, they would probably be called Runescape. To be a games Development Studio, they have to develop bigger and bolder games, no matter how much people dislike it. Stay with one game and they will not expand, not grow and will probably die, fast.

Which is why Funorb is such a success.

Oh wait..

Most Funorb memberships are for F2p-only mains to change their names. That's saying something.

Find me a games studio that hasn't had a flop in it's lifetime. Even then I wouldn't actually call it a flop, as it has had many games which were quite successful for a while.

Funorb = Flop = Pancake... Burnt pancake in the mud with a side of abandonment.

No one goes there anymore... And steller dawn will follow Funorb's life cycle, most likely.

It flopped because they stopped updating it regularly, as you said yourself. As long as Jagex invests resources into something, it will have at least some steady players. Runescape will always have the most though as it is well established.

2496 Completionist

I wonder if Jagex will be bold enough to kill off characters in quest lines. Killing off characters like Hazelemere is easy when it's your IP, but when you're playing with another company's IP, it can get risky.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

This is nice for Jagex, but haven't they failed in making Mechscape and Stellar Dawn? I have been curious how Mechscape/Stellar Dawn will be like for very long time. :unsure:

Why are you saying Stellar Dawn is failed? Nothing about the game has been released yet.

I honestly have no idea why people are saying this will fail either, there's literally NO information on it. As usual it's the same group of people claiming Jagex are doing it wrong and that the sky is falling after everything they say and do. There's no denying that this is a huge IP for Jagex to get and it will be interesting to see how well the game does.

Why are you saying Stellar Dawn is failed? Nothing about the game has been released yet.

I honestly have no idea why people are saying this will fail either, there's literally NO information on it. As usual it's the same group of people claiming Jagex are doing it wrong and that the sky is falling after everything they say and do. There's no denying that this is a huge IP for Jagex to get and it will be interesting to see how well the game does.

Haven't seen it's release so i thought that Jagex stopped the project. And it was a question "?". And failed as in project, not as a game.

I'm sure they'll release Stellar Dawn information when they're ready to. MechScape and Stellar Dawn are two separate games and should be thought of individually despite the fact that Stellar Dawn came from the ashes of MechScape.

I'm sure they'll release Stellar Dawn information when they're ready to. MechScape and Stellar Dawn are two separate games and should be thought of individually despite the fact that Stellar Dawn came from the ashes of MechScape.

Yes, i know that.

I'm a huge transformers fan. Hell I've been working on a large majority of the original voice cast's autograph. But this will not work for many reasons.

Transformers fans are Anal. there was a 98 page thread on a transformer forum about starscreams movie transformation being different than the cartoon - sure the movie was a success (I am working on the casts autographs of that too) - but diehard fans nitpicked it to death.

Which universe do you do? G1 with the dinobots and insecticons or the movie universe that tends to rely on hot women and explosions, explosions explosions? The former was ruled out because movie audiances (mass lemmings) wouldn't buy dinosaur robots - and the later would require sex and graphics - two things that Jagex has been unable to do.

Star Trek online had a huge licensee - certainly bigger than transformers. It blundered. Star Wars (one of hasbro's bigger sellers than transformer) flopped at galaxies. Conan has movies, comics and action figures - and also flopped.

The game will need LOTS of voice acting and not random Jagex people in a studio. If Peter Cullen doesn't voice Prime, it's a failure. (Okay, Maybe Neil Kaplan) If Adler doesn't do star scream - it's a failure - if Weaving/Welker don't touch megatron - it will be odd. , it will need detailed intricate cutscenes - it will need a cohesive plot and questlines resolved (runescape sure as hell can't do that).

Hasbro is also very controlling - it's well documented online where they required certain things to stay the same for the movies, essentially the creative control enjoyed with runescape will be very limited here.

Secondly you will have combat.

Let's take a look at devastator in the G1 Cartoon - he was defeated by the dinobots multiple times before brutally killing them in the movie. In the movie he was a blundering idiot with no real power (compared to his cartoon) - Which one do you use?

War for cybertron was well designed, but both wii games failed hard. And i'd like to think Activision is slightly more successful than Jagex

Who will play? Transformer toy colelctors are a deep pocketed group of old men - don't tell me kids buy the toys as Transformers Animated was a retail flop toy wise and clearenced out (I picked up the entire line almost at retail for 50-80% on markdowns - Hell I bought the StarScream for $4 - he was originally $25.)

Transformers classics sell to adults - and most of them are the same guys who have posted in the same communities for years. I don't see them as avid MMO players. Very few of the toy collectors I know are (and I'm an avid user at other toy forums).

Then you have the people who made the movies a hit - small kids and teens who either have parents buy them toys and won't be over 12 to play and teens who have Wow and other MMO's

I call a flop.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

I'm a huge transformers fan. Hell I've been working on a large majority of the original voice cast's autograph. But this will not work for many reasons.

Transformers fans are Anal. there was a 98 page thread on a transformer forum about starscreams movie transformation being different than the cartoon - sure the movie was a success (I am working on the casts autographs of that too) - but diehard fans nitpicked it to death.

Which universe do you do? G1 with the dinobots and insecticons or the movie universe that tends to rely on hot women and explosions, explosions explosions? The former was ruled out because movie audiances (mass lemmings) wouldn't buy dinosaur robots - and the later would require sex and graphics - two things that Jagex has been unable to do.

Star Trek online had a huge licensee - certainly bigger than transformers. It blundered. Star Wars (one of hasbro's bigger sellers than transformer) flopped at galaxies. Conan has movies, comics and action figures - and also flopped.

The game will need LOTS of voice acting and not random Jagex people in a studio. If Peter Cullen doesn't voice Prime, it's a failure. (Okay, Maybe Neil Kaplan) If Adler doesn't do star scream - it's a failure - if Weaving/Welker don't touch megatron - it will be odd. , it will need detailed intricate cutscenes - it will need a cohesive plot and questlines resolved (runescape sure as hell can't do that).

Hasbro is also very controlling - it's well documented online where they required certain things to stay the same for the movies, essentially the creative control enjoyed with runescape will be very limited here.

Secondly you will have combat.

Let's take a look at devastator in the G1 Cartoon - he was defeated by the dinobots multiple times before brutally killing them in the movie. In the movie he was a blundering idiot with no real power (compared to his cartoon) - Which one do you use?

War for cybertron was well designed, but both wii games failed hard. And i'd like to think Activision is slightly more successful than Jagex

Who will play? Transformer toy colelctors are a deep pocketed group of old men - don't tell me kids buy the toys as Transformers Animated was a retail flop toy wise and clearenced out (I picked up the entire line almost at retail for 50-80% on markdowns - Hell I bought the StarScream for $4 - he was originally $25.)

Transformers classics sell to adults - and most of them are the same guys who have posted in the same communities for years. I don't see them as avid MMO players. Very few of the toy collectors I know are (and I'm an avid user at other toy forums).

Then you have the people who made the movies a hit - small kids and teens who either have parents buy them toys and won't be over 12 to play and teens who have Wow and other MMO's

I call a flop.

Well, I'm pretty sure this is the first well-thought out post on why it will fail. I sincerely hope you're wrong...

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

If Jagex fails to deliver on this, could they be required to compensate in such a way that may render the destruction of Runescape?

That's my main concern, really.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Wouldn't be surprised if the scraped mechscape was used as a base for this, with the graphics replaced with hasbro's stuffs. They probably had to pitch their idea to Hasbro, not some sign up out of the blue. Having an already developed scraped game would've given them a significant advantage over the competition.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

I hope it crashes.

Crashes and burns.

It will.

There is a reason all of Jagex's products since RS have failed: they don't give a [cabbage] about quality-- they have made a habit of cutting corners to maximize profits, at the expense of quality and customer satisfaction. They can get away with it with RS, because most of their customer base is either too addicted to quit regardless of what Jagex does or they have invested so much time that "jumping ship" doesn't seem like an attractive option. With a new MMO, they have to develop a brand new customer base for it, and that is quite hard when you have a reputation for churning out half-baked, buggy, conceptually-flawed products.

td2sig.jpg

If it is featuring Megan Fox i'm bought!

Since she was removed from the movie franchise - It won't.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

I hope it crashes.

Crashes and burns.

It will.

There is a reason all of Jagex's products since RS have failed: they don't give a [cabbage] about quality. They can get away with it with RS, because most of their customer base is either too addicted to quit regardless of what Jagex does or they have invested so much time that jumping ship doesn't seem like an attractive option. With a new MMO, they have to develop a brand new customer base for it, and that is quite hard when you have a reputation for churning out half-baked, buggy, conceptually-flawed products.

Yes, them not releasing MechScape due to them thinking it wasn't any good is them not caring about quality. The only games developed by Jagex have been RuneScape and FunOrb. FunOrb was made by an entirely different team and has had limited success although it was a huge let down but things like Arcanists have a fairly decent player base. That is all Jagex have developed and released so far. So I'd hardly say they're "churning out" anything at all. Having the 2nd biggest MMORPG in the world is a huge feat and clearly shows they know what they're doing when it comes to MMOs.

And the MechScape base is being used for Stellar Dawn which is separate to this, while it's not inconceivable that this will be working on the same engine it won't be anything like Stellar Dawn/MechScape at all most likely.

to be fair - I don't think it really matters who the hell does a transformer MMO, it just seems to me as a gamer and transformer toy/autograph collector that it's a doomed property.

Abraham Lincoln

I hope it crashes.

Crashes and burns.

It will.

There is a reason all of Jagex's products since RS have failed: they don't give a [cabbage] about quality. They can get away with it with RS, because most of their customer base is either too addicted to quit regardless of what Jagex does or they have invested so much time that jumping ship doesn't seem like an attractive option. With a new MMO, they have to develop a brand new customer base for it, and that is quite hard when you have a reputation for churning out half-baked, buggy, conceptually-flawed products.

Yes, them not releasing MechScape due to them thinking it wasn't any good is them not caring about quality. The only games developed by Jagex have been RuneScape and FunOrb. FunOrb was made by an entirely different team and has had limited success although it was a huge let down but things like Arcanists have a fairly decent player base. That is all Jagex have developed and released so far. So I'd hardly say they're "churning out" anything at all. Having the 2nd biggest MMORPG in the world is a huge feat and clearly shows they know what they're doing when it comes to MMOs.

And the MechScape base is being used for Stellar Dawn which is separate to this, while it's not inconceivable that this will be working on the same engine it won't be anything like Stellar Dawn/MechScape at all most likely.

I consider each "update" they make a "product." And they have a long, miserable history of buggy updates that fail to meet anything like what the players wanted or were hoping for.

Since their primary word-of-mouth for new games they create comes from RS players, and anyone who has been playing RS for any length of time has realized how badly Jagex mismanages this game... They aren't getting much help there.

And really, the only reason RS has survived is because there are no other MMORPGS in the market that are as affordable and accessible as RS. I've said for the past I don't-know-how-many years that if a competitor came along in the same <$10 market of browser-based MMOs, RS would sink like a rock (that is unless Jagex got their [cabbage] together).

td2sig.jpg

Personally I don't see it being very successful judging by the games they released post-RuneScape. If they want to be able to compete, they're going to have to have decent graphics in their game, at least for the wider market.

j0xPu5R.png