[Real] 01-Apr-2011 - Behind the Scenes - April

Sephy_

The royal family are living relics of the cultural history and traditions of Britain, and they are ambassadors for this country. As such, it is a tradition to celebrate weddings, anniversaries and coronations, and mourn funerals. It's what we do and you should respect or at least be indifferent to our traditions. I don't see anyone criticising Thanksgiving here.

The reason i don't critize Thanks giving, Christmas and so on is because it's so well known and have become a "Must" in many games. And so i have learned to accept that. And i don't mind it, because i know there is TONS of different people in different countries celebrating these events.

However, the update with KBD and KQ love seems really lame because it's only for British people, and the update seems like a waste. Like Wild Wyrms and that stupid Haiti wolf.

But hey i accept they are going through with this, i am just saying whati think of it.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If such a thing as "royal wedding" happens I demand the same thing for my wedding!

As I'm equal to the people who are on a throne, both we have done nothing!

IF you celebrate something, celebrate people who are actually beneficial for humanity, not people who simply sit down and get their whole lives payed out! Celebrate the nobel prices, celebrate the "Tiananmen-protest" on the 4th of july..

THOSE are important thigns, not that some person in some country married, what importance has that?

No because you are a nobody in real life. Sorry to say but that is the whole truth.

The roayl couple are famous, like it r not they have huge links to the Heritage and history of Britain, which for me being a historian is reason enough to like to celebrate the continuation of a proud tradition of my country. It is also the tradition of the country Jagex resides in, so they should be free to celebrate what they feel they want to. Should e not Celebrate Christmas in Runescape because some countries don't celebrate it? Should we not do Halloween because many countries don't celebrate it? Or should we just be happy that Jagex have a soul and want to celebrate a big event which is happening this month? The choice then is to be happy or be miserable and complain.

Also, considering one of the Royal Princes has served in Afghanistan (or was it Iraq?) and the other, the one getting married, if my memory serves me correct is a qualified life guard and has worked closely with the British RNLI and has served in the military, they have actually done a lot more than you to deserve recognition.

EDIT: Oh and also they said they are only doing the fireworks and party popper things, no actual content linking the KQ and KBD.

I agree with you that it is better for Jagex to recognise and celebrate the event rather than ignore it, but you shouldn't make presumptious comments about people on an anonymous forum like that. Calling someone a 'nobody' and then saying they haven't done anything to deserve recognition just comes off as rude.

Well now, how about they make a little area for where they hold the RS wedding? Then, after the event is over they can leave the place as it is so the RS couples can have a little wedding there? Yeah it's a bit lame and enforcing a practice we all think is stupid, but it's something right?

The royal family are living relics of the cultural history and traditions of Britain, and they are ambassadors for this country. As such, it is a tradition to celebrate weddings, anniversaries and coronations, and mourn funerals. It's what we do and you should respect or at least be indifferent to our traditions. I don't see anyone criticising Thanksgiving here.

The reason i don't critize Thanks giving, Christmas and so on is because it's so well known and have become a "Must" in many games. And so i have learned to accept that. And i don't mind it, because i know there is TONS of different people in different countries celebrating these events.

However, the update with KBD and KQ love seems really lame because it's only for British people, and the update seems like a waste. Like Wild Wyrms and that stupid Haiti wolf.

But hey i accept they are going through with this, i am just saying whati think of it.

Pretty much everything and anything produced in Britain is paying homage in some way to the royal wedding. To the British and several other nations it is a big deal; there are a few other countries that used to be part of the British Empire that still recognise and celebrate the Queen and the royal family.

Fair enough if the event don't appeal to you, I think people are more taking offence at the implications and statements by others that it should not be celebrated because it is just British and not something their nation celebrates, despite whole hearted willingness to have Thanksgiving and complain if it is missed and equally argue for having other American only holidays brought into the game like 4th of July etc. Why should Jagex include events for those 1 nation events but not celebrate its own heritage and nation?

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

The KBD and KQ have lost a lot of their luster over the years - it might be neat if they moved into a combined lair and you could take them both on at once :D.

Superantifires at the KQ and a rapier+defender switch - I'm not impressed.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

I don't see why people are complaining about all this wedding stuff, if it does not effect you then its still just a few fun items to play with and nothing more. Sounds much better than the usual junk we get for other religious events.

TERA.pngtera2.gif

tera.pngsig_corner.png

Thanks Gradeskip93 for my awesome sig!

I don't see why people are complaining about all this wedding stuff, if it does not effect you then its still just a few fun items to play with and nothing more. Sounds much better than the usual junk we get for RELIGIOUS events.

But it has not replaced a religious event.

I don't see why people are complaining about all this wedding stuff, if it does not effect you then its still just a few fun items to play with and nothing more. Sounds much better than the usual junk we get for RELIGIOUS events.

But it has not replaced a religious event.

I didn't say it did... :roll:

TERA.pngtera2.gif

tera.pngsig_corner.png

omg jamflex stop making holidays that americans don't celebrate or care about only boss monsters are important kthx.

Edit: wtf veng group is really OP, someone barraging in SW or something similar is going to get OHKO by that. And everybody in a clan spamming that in the wild? Getting hit by normal attacks and a veng litearlly everytime i att? The [bleep]? Need to have like a 5 minute limit or something.

I didn't say it did... :roll:

But you said KBD and KQ event is better than a religious event. I am just clarifying that it has not replaced a religious event. So your point is no good.

I was referring to the Items, not the event itself (which there is no event anyway). So my point still stands. But the Royal wedding is a religious event in this case anyway.

TERA.pngtera2.gif

tera.pngsig_corner.png

@sir squab:

Other games have XP-penalties (diablo standard mode).. Or if you die you loose potential reward (most MMO's focussed around dungeon crawling). Now I ask again: what does runescape give when you die? 60 seconds needed to return back to your grave? Wow that's so bad -.-. This promotes a playstyle where people don't care about death, and hence the "top end" items will get even more popular (as there is literary no reason not to use it).

And if you die when you're new: what do you loose now really? A day's worth of gathering items? - I lost much more by doing nothing for a week. And if someone can't "handle" this loss, do we as a community want those people? - I wouldn't, it means someone is either very protective of his own goods (and hence won't help others unless they get a monetary reward) or has a too weak mindset to put negative experience into a possitive action. Both the type of people I generally tend to avoid.

Maybe the update is aimed at the very first few players: but it affects everyone!

Well, the problem is death is RuneScape was originally designed around a system where, if you had max levels, pretty much everything was makeable by players. In which case, 3 items kept on death, alch values determinig what you keep makes sense. Which stopped being the case a very, very long time ago. The best idea I can think of is needing to buy a new grave every time you die, with death at more dangerous areas resulting in a higher payment for the new grave.

Tell me though. On a personaly level, how many players ranting about the game becoming safer actually WANT danger? How many of you want to lose all but the 3 most expensive items if you lag and die somewhere? Stop paying attention? Die at a boss? Don't gimme the "I won't die" crap either. I could be wrong, but I think most people who think the game is too safe are hypocrits who would hate to personally lose their own items if they say, ran outta prayer on dharok or died in one of the 5 GW chambers. Screw the fact that it's unliekly to happen to you; imagine dying as a real possibility, say 1/100 for barrows, 1/50 for GW bosses, 1/25 for Nex if you're a pro with the best gear, or 1/10 otherwise. Lose all but your 3 most important items WHEN you die. Is that really what you want?

Sorry that the above paragraph comes across as harsh and accusatory. But I think all the players complaining about how safe the game is in most areas wouldn't be willing to personally experience a big loss due to death in order to make the game more dangerous, and frankly, if you aren't then you seem a bit hypocritical.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

I was referring to the Items, not the event itself (which there is no event anyway). So my point still stands.

Actually it does not. The wedding update is not a religious update. And so the items of non holiday updates should be usually good. It sounds like it's just stuff that we just put in the storeage of Diango. Stuff that we very rarely use.

So your point does not stand. Because a Elite excalibur >from a main update, or a Korasi sword, or a Dragon dagger>>all from main updates and not a religious update is way better than some stuff to "celebrate" a wedding we don't care about.

I mean why would i celebrate it? I am happy for them, but why should i celebrate it?

I was referring to the Items, not the event itself (which there is no event anyway). So my point still stands.

Actually it does not. The wedding update is not a religious update. And so the items of non holiday updates should be usually good. It sounds like it's just stuff that we just put in the storeage of Diango. Stuff that we very rarely use.

So your point does not stand. Because a Elite excalibur >from a main update, or a Korasi sword, or a Dragon dagger>>all from main updates and not a religious update is way better than some stuff to "celebrate" a wedding we don't care about.

I mean why would i celebrate it? I am happy for them, but why should i celebrate it?

That was my whole point... I'm only happy to the point I get a day off work. At least its just a few fun items everybody can use rather than wasted development time on a full blown event that lasts 2 weeks.

TERA.pngtera2.gif

tera.pngsig_corner.png

Well i suppose that's just your take on the event. Some people, myself included, love taking part in random holidays and events jagex adds it game. It's not like jagex dedicates their entire team to it. From what they have released about past events, it's a developer or two who works on it. Then they get the graphics and audio people to make whatever is needed for it.

Why should you celebrate? No one is telling you to, forcing you to, or even making you talk about it. This whole thing is up to you. Which in my opinion, is the greatest part of runescape. Why should you take part in runescape at all? Why should you post on the forums? The answer is because you like it, if you don't like it, don't take part in it.

Edit: Also this is not really something new, holiday events have been apart of runescape since the beginning. Now i understand this isn't a "holiday" but i hope you understand how i equate them.

jpegsigtest.jpg

I hope there will be something like a find clan thing at the clancamp where you can search for clans with certain requirements or for example skillers clans, so you can find a clan which fits you fast (to apply).

dumb.png

archsupportei2.png

Well i suppose that's just your take on the event. Some people, myself included, love taking part in random holidays and events jagex adds it game. It's not like jagex dedicates their entire team to it. From what they have released about past events, it's a developer or two who works on it. Then they get the graphics and audio people to make whatever is needed for it.

Why should you celebrate? No one is telling you to, forcing you to, or even making you talk about it. This whole thing is up to you. Which in my opinion, is the greatest part of runescape. Why should you take part in runescape at all? Why should you post on the forums? The answer is because you like it, if you don't like it, don't take part in it.

Edit: Also this is not really something new, holiday events have been apart of runescape since the beginning. Now i understand this isn't a "holiday" but i hope you understand how i equate them.

Good that you love it, but there is two sides of the coin. Those who like it and those who don't. Why couldn't they make a usual update for players like me and a hidden celebrating update for players like you?

And no i am not forced to join it, but i expect content update that's perm, not a temporary one. I never did much of Wild Wyrm neither did i find Haiti useful.

But if Jagex workers have day off. Then i have to say that's cool. :thumbup: But that does not mean i support a game where you celebrate irl events like a wedding. But like i said, if workers have day off, you can't expect much updates. So that kinda justifies it.

Good that you love it, but there is two sides of the coin. Those who like it and those who don't. Why couldn't they make a usual update for players like me and a hidden celebrating update for players like you?

And no i am not forced to join it, but i expect content update that's perm, not a temporary one. I never did much of Wild Wyrm neither did i find Haiti useful.

But if Jagex workers have day off. Then i have to say that's cool. :thumbup: But that does not mean i support a game where you celebrate irl events like a wedding. But like i said, if workers have day off, you can't expect much updates. So that kinda justifies it.

I am sure the rest of the company is working on their updates as well. It's likely some updates were not finished, and they had some empty space in the month so decided to throw that in as the "update". Personally i am amazed they are able to uphold a schedule as they do now. I understand you would like a permanent update that adds the game, but i don't think it's realistic. The amount of development time it takes for some assets or updates is a lot longer than it takes for a player to digest it.

jpegsigtest.jpg

Pretty much everything and anything produced in Britain is paying homage in some way to the royal wedding. To the British and several other nations it is a big deal; there are a few other countries that used to be part of the British Empire that still recognise and celebrate the Queen and the royal family.

Fair enough if the event don't appeal to you, I think people are more taking offence at the implications and statements by others that it should not be celebrated because it is just British and not something their nation celebrates, despite whole hearted willingness to have Thanksgiving and complain if it is missed and equally argue for having other American only holidays brought into the game like 4th of July etc. Why should Jagex include events for those 1 nation events but not celebrate its own heritage and nation?

What he said; except it's not just relevant to the UK but more properly to the entire 54 nation Commonwealth of Nations. Elizabeth II is specifically the head of state of 16 nations, including Canada, Australia & New Zealand. The Crown is not politically important, but it still carries tremendous cultural clout in many countries.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

I must have missed the part of members benefits that stated every content update would contain permanent long lasting and re-playable content every week.

I can't believe this argument even exists, nobody [bleep]es and moans about Thanksgiving events which, in reality, is the celebration of the slaughter of native amercans.

I don't agree with us having a monarchy and think it's wholly redundant, but I still understand why it's important for a lot of people, mainly for the reasons already posted.

Jagex are British, they want to celebrate an event that personifies England, if you don't like it, tough [cabbage].

Sylpheed.png

Dying in RuneScape will become slightly less painful later this month as we introduce the concept of Limbo. If you die in any unsafe, non-PVP area, you will be prompted to choose which items you retain (following the existing rules for how many items you keep on death); also, certain types of items will always be kept on death most notably coins, but also most quest-specific items and common, low-value items such as tinderboxes, fishing rods and the like.

You will then be given a choice of where you respawn be that any of the respawn points youve unlocked (i.e. Lumbridge, Falador, Camelot or Soul Wars) or the last respawn hub you passed through (typically, the last major settlement you visited). Once you have respawned, youll be free to hunt down your gravestone to attempt to retrieve those items you did not keep.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

omg jamflex stop making holidays that americans don't celebrate or care about only boss monsters are important kthx.

1st. It's not a holiday.

2nd. I don't think they give a rats ass about what "holidays", as you call them, you Americans don't celebrate. Jagex is located in England, and that's where it's happening.

1st. It's not a holiday.

2nd. I don't think they give a rats ass about what "holidays", as you call them, you Americans don't celebrate. Jagex is located in England, and that's where it's happening.

I think he was being sarcastic.

Silverfox30.png

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.
^^^At least I'm not the only crazy one