Drinking/Drugs

Guest Rob

Slight digression; Do you drink for the taste, or the effect? Maybe both?

Can't say I really enjoy the taste of alcohol. I mostly stick to vodka, because its really easy to disguise it. I drink either for the effect itself, or to be social (ie if everyone else is having a drink, I'll normally have one of my own).

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same with me, I love the taste of a good whiskey. Jack Daniels is my drink of choice...I can down that stuff like it's candy, but other liquors make me gag.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

"Dope" is not a drug and is not harmful. Dope refers to LSD, peyote, psylocybin (mushrooms), and marijuana (among other hallucinogens).

That's strange. I've never heard anyone refer to shrooms, mescaline or acid as "dope". Weed yes, heroin more so. Very odd indeed ..

On the topic of alcohol, I'll drink rum like water if it tastes good - with bundy I'll puke however. Sick of it.

Long-term effects

May damage your lungs and lead to breathing problems

Has been linked with mental health problems, such as depression and schizophrenia

May lower sperm count and suppresses ovulation so you may have problems getting pregnant

Regular use may affect your memory, mood, motivation and ability to learn

May cause anxiety and paranoia

May affect your coordination and reactions so you are more at risk of accidents, especially if you also drink alcohol

Certainly doesn't sound encouraging.

That's due to the properties of smoke, I don't think you could frequently smoke anything and not suffer lung damage.

There's been no link established between cannabis use and mental disorders. It has, however, been shown to trigger it in people with an underlying mental disorder.

From the evidence I can find, the studies done were very hard to replicate and even then the results vary too greatly.

Nothing to say on this.

Like I said before, no link between the two however may trigger dormant disorders.

The same can be said about many other drugs whilst you're under the influence.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

We can list physical ailments of any substance if we're vague enough...

In response to your post:

The potentially lung damaging effects of smoke occurs in all carcinogens - it's not a unique property of cannabis use. It's also worth noting that it's not cannabis that's the true cause either - cannabis, if consumed without the use of smoking (such as with a bong), will incur no adverse lung effects to the user.

There's no evidence that a user will incur mental conditions as a direct result of cannabis use - and should it be true, it doesn't tell us how significant this impairment will be.

In regards to the sperm count - it seems rather trivial, but as stated above, results vary too widely to produce accurate judgements.

The alleged effects that 'affect motivation/mood' may be a result of gaining a new perspective as cannabis use enhances the human perceptions. It may not be an adverse effect as you'd suggest, either - who's to say that it wouldn't operate in a positive way - i.e. making one more motivated, or satisfied? The claim regarding 'anxiety/paranoia' lacks evidence.

In regards to the claim about motor skill impairment; although true, the user is typically aware of their impairment, so they'd drive cautiously. The same cannot be said for alcohol - alcohol consumption falsely boosts their confidence regarding their driving ability, so they'd take more risks - this coupled with the effects of motor-skills impairment is the cause of reckless driving. Oh, and it's easier to come off cannabis as opposed to alcohol too.

I see no moral qualms with cannabis consumption - why should the Government stop users if the users want to take it?

Also, you can add a carbon filter attachment to any waterpipe (I won't provide any links or details, you can look on your own) to filter the smoke even more than the water already does. It uses similar carbon that fishtank water filters use.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Pure effect. I hate the taste of almost any alcohol. It sucks. Only drinks I can stand are the girly ones like Smirnoff Ice, but I'd never buy those due to the social factor.

dcfclogo4.jpg

[Admin Edit: Attempting to publicly humiliate a user in your signature is inappropriate]

Quit Runescape... Dec 2001 - Jan 2008 on and off... mostly off.

Same with me, if I drink, the ones I like the taste of are the 'girly' or 'soda pop' drinks. But frankly that's the only things I could drink.

I do enjoy the taste of Kopparberg though, one of the handful of drinks that I do genuinely enjoy.

Back when I was in Ireland, yes, I get dissed at having a Girly drink, but most of them pretty much shuts up when I told them I never have hang overs, because I cannot physically drink that much to develope a hangover. (I am over 90% Taiwanese, one of my distant ancestors was Dutch) Most of them however must down over 10 pints to achieve the desired effects, therefore if drunk was their goal, I'd settle for 2 pints.

That's the Irish though :P

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

Also, you can add a carbon filter attachment to any waterpipe (I won't provide any links or details, you can look on your own) to filter the smoke even more than the water already does. It uses similar carbon that fishtank water filters use.

These do work well. Crushing up ice can also cool the smoke a bit - it's a nice, much more pleasant hit.

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

Personally don't like or do drugs.

Though I do like drinking - do it more for the taste than the effect, don't get me wrong, I like the effect that it can have though I do find the line between drinking too little and too much to be a very fine line indeed.

Drinking too little just makes me get irritated by everybody and drinking too much has the unusual affect to make me very touch-feely; leaves for brilliant photos :D

EAVnEYl.png

Visit my blog! Click the madness for more madness!

Pure effect. I hate the taste of almost any alcohol. It sucks. Only drinks I can stand are the girly ones like Smirnoff Ice, but I'd never buy those due to the social factor.

I hate the taste and smell of Cider and Beer. The smell can almost make me physically sick due to too many heavy nights out on both cider and beer. So now I just drink JD and coke, Vodka and coke or Vodka and lemonade to get drunk a bit, not much but enough. Its almost a smirtnoff Ice but can get away with that when out ;) Can always just lie and say its a double aswell.

The_Diamond.png

1593th to 99 Farming - July 08.

Same with me, if I drink, the ones I like the taste of are the 'girly' or 'soda pop' drinks. But frankly that's the only things I could drink.

I do enjoy the taste of Kopparberg though, one of the handful of drinks that I do genuinely enjoy.

Back when I was in Ireland, yes, I get dissed at having a Girly drink, but most of them pretty much shuts up when I told them I never have hang overs, because I cannot physically drink that much to develope a hangover. (I am over 90% Taiwanese, one of my distant ancestors was Dutch) Most of them however must down over 10 pints to achieve the desired effects, therefore if drunk was their goal, I'd settle for 2 pints.

That's the Irish though :P

Yeah, no matter what I consume I've never actually been "Drunk" nor suffered from a hangover. From beer to vodka, or anything else. But I do like the "girly" drinks. Not that I will drink them on a night out (Wkd, Smirnoff, etc.) but they are lovely.

Years ago when I'd be out with the folks at our place in the country my father would drink 15+ pints, move on to shorts and then drive home.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

Any tips on how to quit smoking? Are patches/gum really effective?

Studying the detrimental health effects in detail. That was enough to keep me from ever getting addicted to them - I only smoke cigarettes on special occasions, like when I'm visiting an old buddy.

Studying the detrimental health effects in detail. That was enough to keep me from ever getting addicted to them - I only smoke cigarettes on special occasions, like when I'm visiting an old buddy.

Just taking a shot in the dark here, but I'm fairly certain that only works before your addicted. Once your addicted, you can point out or study the effects of smoking till your blue in the face, the cows come home, and pigs fly, and it wont make an iota of difference.

I think no matter how you choose to go about it, your in for one hell of a battle with yourself. I imagine the patches and gum probably do help to some extent, since the withdrawal would be caused by your body panicking because there is no nicotine (well, that's most of it at least). The gum/patch will give your body some of that nicotine, which should lesson the withdrawal. The other thing you'll have to deal with is the habit itself. I have heard that a lot of people find that that reaching for a cigarette is so automatic that they need to find something to replace the habit with. This shouldn't be as hard though, it would be akin to teaching yourself to tie your left shoe first instead of your right one (except that most people don't tie their shoes up multiple times per day). I think the time line to change a habit like that is about a month for your brain to rewire it.

And as a personal thing, when I really need to kick my own ass to get myself to do something, I find it helps to be accountable to someone other than myself. I can talk myself into procrastinating till judgement day if I want to, so being accountable to someone who is going to expect me to get shit done no matter what I say can really help me out. I don't know if this would help with an addiction or not, since the only thing that would pass for an addiction that I have ever dealt with is giving up caffeine, which doesn't exactly cause withdrawal (that experience was enough to convince me that getting addicted to just about anything would be a major problem for me though). Still, my thinking is that the normal reason for someone making huge lifestyle changes (and I would certainly consider this to be one), is for other people (love). Maybe there is something to that.

dear lord I just want to go out drinking with my friends.

Does anyone else get those urges after a period of inactivity and a lack of hijinks? I certainly do.

YES! It's been like 17 days. Wow, that made me sound like an alcoholic. But, yeah, in December I haven't gotten drunk once because I'm so busy with studying, as are my roommates and other friends here at school. I got high once though - that was a nice break. My gf was up and we blazed after I was finished studying for the night and watched some comedies with my roommates.

dcfclogo4.jpg

[Admin Edit: Attempting to publicly humiliate a user in your signature is inappropriate]

Quit Runescape... Dec 2001 - Jan 2008 on and off... mostly off.

Patches/gum have been shown to be effective for the physical addiction, but there are some psychological addictions, such as to actually smoking something, or being in the social situation.

dear lord I just want to go out drinking with my friends.

Does anyone else get those urges after a period of inactivity and a lack of hijinks? I certainly do.

YES! It's been like 17 days. Wow, that made me sound like an alcoholic. But, yeah, in December I haven't gotten drunk once because I'm so busy with studying, as are my roommates and other friends here at school. I got high once though - that was a nice break. My gf was up and we blazed after I was finished studying for the night and watched some comedies with my roommates.

Yeah same here. The shifts I've been working mean I can't go out to the same extent I used to, which is kinda alright as I'm saving a lot of money. On the other hand, I do miss the general banter and capers nights out bring.

Should be out a bit this weekend as thats everyone coming home from Uni for Christmas.

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

I can only really go drinking out Saturday nights, most of my friends who go drinking do so on a Friday night. I'd have to somehow trade away 2 shifts to be able to do that, and I'm not losing $200+ to go drinking.

• 2 weeks later...

New Year's is coming up, which probably means a New Year's party. I'll want to go because I'll want to see a few high school friends. I'll get stuck being the designated driver once again, meaning I won't be able to drink.

I kinda enjoyed the days when I lived in a hall whose RA didn't give a shit about drinking. I actually had fun on the weekends. :\

pMcEU.png

| My Tumblr |

I would never want to be a DD on New Years. All though if your going to a party at a good friends house, I'm sure they'd let you crash if you had one to many to drink. That's what I did last year.

I don't know what I'm doing for this New Years, there are talks of going back to AZ to meet up with a bunch of college friends. Some other friends are doing Vegas but I not sure about that either. It's ultimately going to come down to home much money do I want to spend and if I really want to drive to either place and back just after spending a week visiting family up in WA.

tFtfA.jpg