TIF is bit over-moderated

I understand that people are curious and want to know what's going on, but won't that only cause more drama?:

No, it will let me, and I presume others like me, to judge the situation for ourselves and gauge whether or not we want to be part of this community.

The way it is now I honestly don't trust the mods here if they keep us in the dark.

Since this effects everyone, everyone has a right to know.

I'm guessing they're too chicken [cabbage] to post anything because it might just prove a few undeserved bans

Be thankful staff here is reaching out and being as transparent as possible. For you to suggest that they show you their moderating records is ridiculous. What you don't see on these forums is the countless amount of spam, obscenities, and pointless threads that are removed to bring up the overall quality here. The staff here has absolutely no tilted agenda or anything. Trust me, I used to be a mod and crew, I've seen the inside. In fact, it's better than it's ever been in the years I've been posting here. Honestly the staff here want to make this a community where you can effectively communicate with each other. For you select few who obnoxiously insist something else is going on, just leave if you don't like it here. Nobody will notice.

Want me to pat them all on the back and tell them what a good job they're doing at getting rid of their most valuable assets?

I don't care about how it was a few years ago. What i do care about is how it is now. A few weeks ago, heck even a few days ago, things were stulling running (seemingly) fine untill a few butthurt mods started banning people without probable cause. As a community we demanded to see the reasons for our valuable assets getting banned. Clearly this isnt a community "for the people by the people" as it should be, because our opinions are never asked on anything This is a little play house for the mods who got picked on in school for being geeks and now find it fun getting their e-peen on and being e-thugs banning left and right like a blinded soldier trying to shoot down a plane. How do you explain such behavior? How do you explain "Honestly the staff here want to make this a community where you can effectively communicate with each other " when they see no need to justify their own actions?

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it acceptable to become frustrated in such a situation? Yes.

Is it acceptable to show your frustration by throwing out insults? No.

Does acknowledging your frustration justify your actions? No.

Indeed, there is such a thing as not sinking to whatever-person-is-annoying-you's level.

Edit: @ Jaffy

The copyright thing is in regards to a forums guide, not a website guide. He wasn't attacking you.

Then I don't see the problem. You post a guide for TIF users, and only TIF users get to see/benefit from it.

No-one takes it, claims it, or does anything else with it.

If selfishness is the motivation for "hating" on that, I'm sorry to say tough luck.

To compare that with my situation, guides I (or any other Crewbie) write are published on the main site, in databases or whatever.

If I went about behaving like some users have, attacking and insulting others because I felt they were ignorant or stupid, or simply because I didn't like them, and eventually got myself thrown off the Staff (rightfully so I might add), would that mean I get to demand any work I did for the community should be undone?

Does the community deserve to suffer simply because I happen to have a rage fit? I think not.

Like I said, there is a difference between sinking to a troll's level, and being a better person. Eventually whoever asks for advice will see the difference between a troll and a better person, and thus value one's advice more than the other's.

ms_julie.png

jafjepediasig.jpg

angel2w.gif Tip.It Website Crew Leader

[hide=Quotes]

I love it how Jafje comes outa nowhere and answers my questions

Hehe now we know what real life does...drugs, drugs, more drugs. Thank god we are addicted to something that won't kill us.

[/hide]

Surely if Person A's answer was so excellent in the first place they would have included all the information as to why their suggestion is the best in their original post and not have to make an additional post detailing these reasons. If you've explained it well enough then the person asking the question will be able to see the evidence as to why that method is the best and there's no need for an argument to take place. So if Person B comes in with another method of doing whatever they would then need to also back up their point as to why it's better than Person A's method.

Or would that be too sensible of a solution?

Lord in the heavens above. Are you actually thinking about what you're typing? GOD :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

Yeah so now we have to include every detail, history, future, assumptions and possible update affects connected to our answer just incase a troll enters the conversation ans nay-say's our method?

Great thinking, bro!

Surely if Person A's answer was so excellent in the first place they would have included all the information as to why their suggestion is the best in their original post and not have to make an additional post detailing these reasons. If you've explained it well enough then the person asking the question will be able to see the evidence as to why that method is the best and there's no need for an argument to take place. So if Person B comes in with another method of doing whatever they would then need to also back up their point as to why it's better than Person A's method.

Lord in the heavens above. Are you actually thinking about what you're typing? GOD :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

Yeah so now we have to include every detail, history, future, assumptions and possible update affects connected to our answer just incase a troll enters the conversation ans nay-say's our method?

Great thinking, bro!

I see nothing wrong with what he said.

Just because some troll comes along after you and says something different, doesn't mean your arguement gets thrown out the window.

And of course you have to provide detail if you want to back up your method.

Let's take a fury vs glory arguement.

Player A says: Fury is best.

Player B says: Glory is good too, and 15m cheaper.

Obviously, this could cause some thinking for the OP to decide whether or not 15m was worth some extra bonuses.

Player A says: Fury is better, and gives some evidence as to why 15m is worth the extra bonuses.

Player B says: Glory is cheaper.

Then of course the OP would take Player A's advice more seriously, and there would be no need for Player A to come back and flame player B.

Staurolite.png

Great thinking, bro!

Just because some troll comes along after you and says something different, doesn't mean your arguement gets thrown out the window.

You're missing the point. Please stop quoting my posts or i will be forced to troll you for being a moron and a kiss-ass.

Thanks hombre :thumbup:

This is the internet. People post things that are not facts as facts all the time on here. Person A is doing their best to help. If they weren't there the OP would take the bad advice of Person B.

It's a huge problem in that specific forum, you can chose to ignore it but it is one of the roots of this conflict.

Edit: @ Jaffy

The copyright thing is in regards to a forums guide, not a website guide. He wasn't attacking you.

Then I don't see the problem. You post a guide for TIF users, and only TIF users get to see/benefit from it.

No-one takes it, claims it, or does anything else with it.

If selfishness is the motivation for "hating" on that, I'm sorry to say tough luck.

To compare that with my situation, guides I (or any other Crewbie) write are published on the main site, in databases or whatever.

If I went about behaving like some users have, attacking and insulting others because I felt they were ignorant or stupid, or simply because I didn't like them, and eventually got myself thrown off the Staff (rightfully so I might add), would that mean I get to demand any work I did for the community should be undone?

Does the community deserve to suffer simply because I happen to have a rage fit? I think not.

Like I said, there is a difference between sinking to a troll's level, and being a better person. Eventually whoever asks for advice will see the difference between a troll and a better person, and thus value one's advice more than the other's.

AoW guides are (lets face it) more up to date and generally better then main site guides. Why? Because they are personal projects, managed usually by a single person who invests themselves in it. In that sense it is different from your situation. If it is their very, very explicit wish to remove the guide, then why shouldn't it be removed? If it isn't then that personal investment is being claimed from them, taken from them. The community will not suffer, usually that person will repost it somewhere else.

Also, if these people are so "bad" then why keep their guides?

PM me in game anytime

It's a lot easier then that for an idiot to sound smart on the internet.

That's exactly what you're doing right now... just saying.

An answer to a question is only good if you explain WHY it is.

If someone asks what the best way to train a skill is you shouldn't just reply with "X is best". You should reply with "X is best, it gives y xp per hour and only costs z gp per hour.". Then if someone else replies with something different they should be giving valid reasons as to why it's a suitable alternative to X. Such as being significantly cheaper for only slightly less xp/hour or whatever. That's not asking a lot. I fail to see how any sort of argument can break out over that. Discussion perhaps, which can only be a good thing. But someone's got to be at fault for an argument coming out of a situation like that.

If you think that's asking too much then I give up all hope.

Great thinking, bro!

Obviously, this could cause some thinking for the OP to decide whether or not 15m was worth some extra bonuses.

Player A says: Fury is better, and gives some evidence as to why 15m is worth the extra bonuses.

Then of course the OP would take Player A's advice more seriously, and there would be no need for Player A to come back and flame player B.

Staurolite.png

If someone asks what the best way to train a skill is you shouldn't just reply with "X is best". You should reply with "X is best, it gives y xp per hour and only costs z gp per hour.". Then if someone else replies with something different they should be giving valid reasons as to why it's a suitable alternative to X. Such as being significantly cheaper for only slightly less xp/hour or whatever. That's not asking a lot. I fail to see how any sort of argument can break out over that. Discussion perhaps, which can only be a good thing. But someone's got to be at fault for an argument coming out of a situation like that.

There is no mechanism in place from preventing anyone from giving false or bad information. That is horrible if you are giving out good information. Please, start frequenting H&A, you will notice this trend.

PM me in game anytime

There is no mechanism in place from preventing anyone from giving false or bad information. That is horrible if you are giving out good information. Please, start frequenting H&A, you will notice this trend.

And who says 100% that bad info would be taken over good info?

There is still no need for flaming others because of different advice.

Staurolite.png

So what's to say Player A's information is correct then? Nothing.

Also, why are you bringing false information into this? It has nothing to do with the discussion at hand. If people are posting false information then report them, that is against the rules. :rolleyes:

Great thinking, bro!

It's a lot easier then that for an idiot to sound smart on the internet. Another problem is that Player B will believe they are right all along and argue to their last breath.

PM me in game anytime

Great thinking, bro!

You're missing the point. Please stop quoting my posts or i will be forced to troll you for being a moron and a kiss-ass.

The irony here is that you just proved the point of not being post w/o insulting people

77yLQy8.png

Great thinking, bro!

It's a lot easier then that for an idiot to sound smart on the internet. Another problem is that Player B will believe they are right all along and argue to their last breath.

So what's to say Player A's information is correct then? Nothing.

Also, why are you bringing false information into this? It has nothing to do with the discussion at hand. If people are posting false information then report them, that is against the rules. :rolleyes:

Not according to your mods, yet another cause of anger. And Player A almost always has the most correct information.

PM me in game anytime

So what you want is that as soon as someone replies to a thread that is locked as the first person to reply to it is the only one that is correct and everyone else is just trolling that make a point after that. Gotcha :thumbup:

Well i am very sorry, but i am getting rather confused by all the cotradictions today.

Firstly you [cabbage] on effiecient players for not sticking to the question asked. Now you want them to not stick to it?

What i gather from your post is the following:

A: What is best method to train x skill.

B(Efficient): XXX Is the best method.

c(Troll): No, YYY is best.

They both answered the question (one better than the other), but none the less they stuck to what the OP wanted. A method.

Now you're asking them to include a reason. Did OP ask for a reason? I think not. Now i ask you with tears in my baby blue eyes. Do you want people to stick to what is asked in a H&A posy or not? Because i can't figure it out. You're banning people for not being able to stick to the question asked. Clearly in the above scenario the OP asked for only a method, not an explination of the method. Going into deeper discussion of the method would be going agaisn what he asked because clearly like i said he DID NOT ASK FOR WHAT/WHERE/HOW/WHEN/HOWCOME HE ONLY ASKED FOR HOW/WHAT.

See, we can be children too.

AoW guides are (lets face it) more up to date and generally better then main site guides. Why? Because they are personal projects, managed usually by a single person who invests themselves in it. In that sense it is different from your situation. If it is their very, very explicit wish to remove the guide, then why shouldn't it be removed? If it isn't then that personal investment is being claimed from them, taken from them. The community will not suffer, usually that person will repost it somewhere else.

The assumption that the Crew's work does not involve a lot of individual research and personal investment is not just wrong, but quite frankly it feels like you're saying we don't put the effort into the site that an user does into their AoW guide. :thumbdown:

I'm not saying anyone is bad, nor am I saying their guides are, but people have different "modes", some of which are respectable, and others that are not.

Like I said, it's their own choice to sink to a troll's level.

First "you" (I mean some of those who have been complaining) claim that these users did nothing wrong.

Now "you" are justifying their actions while it's obvious that there has been rulebreaking, flaming and whatnot, while "you" claim others are being unreasonable, but doing so insulting people too.

Surely you see that some of the recent posters (from the past few hours) were worse than you are claiming those trolls are.

ms_julie.png

jafjepediasig.jpg

angel2w.gif Tip.It Website Crew Leader

[hide=Quotes]

I love it how Jafje comes outa nowhere and answers my questions

Hehe now we know what real life does...drugs, drugs, more drugs. Thank god we are addicted to something that won't kill us.

[/hide]

So what you want is that as soon as someone replies to a thread that is locked as the first person to reply to it is the only one that is correct and everyone else is just trolling that make a point after that. Gotcha :thumbup:

This is exactly what is wrong, you are incapable of understanding the problem. It's okay, I give up. And please, in the future, don't call me an idiot. I think that's a banable offense these days.

Leaving this alone now to avoid your banhammer.

PM me in game anytime

Great thinking, bro!

The irony here is that you just proved the point of not being post w/o insulting people

The irony is i'm not an "efficiency troll" so i just disproved the theory that only "efficiency trolls" insult :thumbup:

Glad we managed to clear that up.

This is exactly what is wrong, you are incapable of understanding the problem. It's okay, I give up. And please, in the future, don't call me an idiot. I think that's a banable offense these days.

Leaving this alone now to avoid your banhammer.

Please show me where I called you an idiot?

I provided various points as to why the problem that's being described can be avoided yet all I'm getting back is "No, we shouldn't do that" "Player B always lies" "Player A is always correct and telling the truth!".

There are various ways of telling people they're wrong without having to start a flame war.

I understand that people are curious and want to know what's going on, but won't that only cause more drama?:

No, it will let me, and I presume others like me, to judge the situation for ourselves and gauge whether or not we want to be part of this community.

The way it is now I honestly don't trust the mods here if they keep us in the dark.

Since this effects everyone, everyone has a right to know.

I'm guessing they're too chicken [cabbage] to post anything because it might just prove a few undeserved bans

Be thankful staff here is reaching out and being as transparent as possible. For you to suggest that they show you their moderating records is ridiculous. What you don't see on these forums is the countless amount of spam, obscenities, and pointless threads that are removed to bring up the overall quality here. The staff here has absolutely no tilted agenda or anything. Trust me, I used to be a mod and crew, I've seen the inside. In fact, it's better than it's ever been in the years I've been posting here. Honestly the staff here want to make this a community where you can effectively communicate with each other. For you select few who obnoxiously insist something else is going on, just leave if you don't like it here. Nobody will notice.

Want me to pat them all on the back and tell them what a good job they're doing at getting rid of their most valuable assets?

Who are you to determine who the most valuable assets of the community are? What if I say I'm the most valuable asset of the community? There's no basis for it.

As a community we demanded to see the reasons for our valuable assets getting banned. Clearly this isnt a community "for the people by the people" as it should be, because our opinions are never asked on anything

Can you name a forum that the staff openly displays their records of 'valuable assets getting banned'? It doesn't happen. BUT you're wrong in that your opinions are asked on a lot of things. This thread is literally asking your opinion on the moderation here at TIF. Do you think many other forums even allow this open discussion?

This is a little play house for the mods who got picked on in school for being geeks and now find it fun getting their e-peen on and being e-thugs banning left and right like a blinded soldier trying to shoot down a plane.

Personal attacks, good job.

How do you explain such behavior? How do you explain "Honestly the staff here want to make this a community where you can effectively communicate with each other " when they see no need to justify their own actions?

I can't speak for the staff anymore, but if a priority is creating an environment that most easily allows for the exchange and discussion of ideas, why should they have to justify how they clean things up? You seem to want a democracy. Would you prefer an appeals system similar to the US courts? Where the community elects its staff? Considering such a large amount of the posters here are around thirteen years old, I don't think that's such a great idea. Plain and simply, things are run differently on the internet. It's great that you're bringing into discussion alternative ways of running things, but you're suggesting the staff simply airs out everyone's dirty laundry, which frankly, a lot of the time just isn't appropriate for the rest of the community to read.

This is @ Noxx about 3 posts up.

Where was the theory that only "efficiency trolls" insult?

IIRC, the OP of "Efficiency trolls" claimed that said "efficiency trolls" were being insulted and trolled.

Also, go visit the 200m exp thread, they have great discussions about efficiency WITHOUT insulting others because of how they play.

Staurolite.png

First of all let me get this clear, the clasule written on the tip.it section doesn't give TIP.IT exclusive ownership & IP over the information you post: it however gives them IP over the COPY of the guide: they can repost it, they can remove it. Having this property is necessary for any forum (or actually any site with user input) as it makes moderating possible (without it a mod can't remove any post unless he can explicitely point it is against a certain rule). And these rules are quite normal, I dare you to find a forum/blog site where there isn't a similar clasule in the end user agreement.

Is this fair? - Yes, YOU choose to post here, you choose to use the software tip.it build, you use the network to distribute your information which tip.it build. Writing a guide is only 1 part on getting information across; getting people to read it can be much more difficult (which I think you'll soon experience). This is the reason publishers are so important. So no, you aren't "god" when you wrote a good guide.

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.