TIF is bit over-moderated

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember when I was a young tipiter....back in the days when Amy used to run the forums with her big scary squeeky-hammer! These youngun's don't remember, but I do.

I am a old woman who see no harm in using some harsh methods to learn the younger crowd some manners! :twisted:

Kidding aside :P Any forum, as big as ours, do need a strict guiding hand in my honest opinion. As admins, super mods or mods we do expect you guys to make sure we feel at home here, but at the same time you need to make sure trolls and flamers do not. That requires a delicate touch and the right kind of people to lead.

I do think most of you do a great job when it comes to that - I honestly do :)

rejna.png

- "I am willing to die...I mean try" - Jewelfire (Want to go bossing?)
-"we tried, we cried and we died!" - Limparse (What happens to old farts and tarts on monster-hunts)
- "...and we found out that there are as many ways to get to warriors guild
...as there are elders trying to get there" - Lysi
*snods agely* sorry... *nods sagely* - Brammy

-"Equality is being treated the SAME as everyone else;

not having special treatment and unique things added in to everything." - Sy_Accursed

moderate H&A. ban people who make stupid threads with dumb ideas.

also, i don't get why theres so much hate for trolling; most of the time it's toward people who deserve it anyway.

Why exacty do they deserve it? I understand that sometimes people say stupid things that make you shake your head and wonder how they even manage to dress themselves in the morning, but we must remember that this is the internet and people from all ages and nations use it. Sometimes it's harder for a foreigner to translate something into english, than you might think. I still struggle with this myself, often too.

Also there is the fact that player experience differs. Obviously someone that's either new to the game or new to the forums might ask/say something stupid, but i'm sure your first thoughts were not the smartest either?

As for trolling and such. I've seen a lot of trolling, from member i'd rather not mention, that kind of annoys me. People saying "do it this way or gtfo! this is the best way and if you dont do it this way [bleep] you!" or "buy this item, its the best. if you dont then [bleep] you!"

It's like as soon as "these players" gain some wealth and some decent levels they forget that they too were low levels once upon a time.I admit that i have done my fair bit of trolling, but i really would like to see Mods get a bit more strict when it comes to that. I'm not saying ban the person when says something mean or harsh, but atleast give them warning or a temp ban. Not too long ago two users at to basically BEG a mod on the General Pics/Vids thread before they got a temp ban (if they even did). That to me just shows a complete and utter lack of moderation.

TIF has always been a community i have enjoyed being a part of due to the helpfull people we have and it really is a pitty when you see people leaving mainly because of bad moderation or when someone gets banned due to a MOD being on a powertrip.

Anyway i think a decent job is being done over all. Some things can be changed, but other things are perfect :thumbup:

I remember when I was a young tipiter....back in the days when Amy used to run the forums with her big scary squeeky-hammer! These youngun's don't remember, but I do.

I am a old woman who see no harm in using some harsh methods to learn the younger crowd some manners! :twisted:

Kidding aside :P

It just makes the Younguns of old into Bitter Admins of now obsessed with user satisifcation and customer service that wasn't received then!

Kidding....or am I! :twisted:

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

It's like as soon as "these players" gain some wealth and some decent levels they forget that they too were low levels once upon a time.I admit that i have done my fair bit of trolling, but i really would like to see Mods get a bit more strict when it comes to that. I'm not saying ban the person when says something mean or harsh, but atleast give them warning or a temp ban. Not too long ago two users at to basically BEG a mod on the General Pics/Vids thread before they got a temp ban (if they even did). That to me just shows a complete and utter lack of moderation.

We are trying to crack down on that so hopefully you will start seeing improvements :)

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Kidding aside :P

It just makes the Younguns of old into Bitter Admins of now obsessed with user satisifcation and customer service that wasn't received then!

Kidding....or am I! :twisted:

Hey! I remember a puny litle Das who used to get his head bashed in by Amy's squeeky-hammer when he was cheeky. I, on the other hand, knew you would grow into a fine young lad...and look at you now :)

rejna.png

- "I am willing to die...I mean try" - Jewelfire (Want to go bossing?)
-"we tried, we cried and we died!" - Limparse (What happens to old farts and tarts on monster-hunts)
- "...and we found out that there are as many ways to get to warriors guild
...as there are elders trying to get there" - Lysi
*snods agely* sorry... *nods sagely* - Brammy

-"Equality is being treated the SAME as everyone else;

not having special treatment and unique things added in to everything." - Sy_Accursed

My point when I made the thread, is that you guys clearly care a lot about the community and its rules, but sometimes you can care a bit too much. If you are anything like a forum surfer like me, you know that most readers will scan the titles, skim whatever threads sound interesting, and tend to skip giant blocks of text or pages of pages of quoted text blocks back and forth. What I find many times is I read the first few posts of a thread and find it interesting just to find the locked button where the reply button is. I'm sure there is some reason for you guys to have locked the thread - but do realize that skimmers/lurkers like me aren't gonna read the 5 pages of text of whatever violated the rule anyways or participate in it - I think in such a case it'd be better for the moderator to just put in a warning, delete whatever offensive posts you guys deem, and let the thread live. Locking is a rather harsh thing, what I consider to be same to censoring a free discussion.

Well, the posters have changed quite a lot compared to a while back. A lot of the old posters left who made it a great place to be and they were replaced by trolls and other people who don't exactly create the best atmosphere. The reason why these posts are seen at all shows the relaxed moderation of Tip it because all posts that are deemed offensive are split off/moved away to hidden areas of the boards. So, they would be hidden if so. If it got any more relaxed, then there would be even more problems tbh.

I agree completely, it's different now, and I think the change happened a couple years ago.

I also agree with Noxx on what he said about trolling, I've seen too much of that.

Staurolite.png

Well, an issue I've seen recently; Increasing amount of 'loopholes' are found in the rules, where ambiguous/too specific rules lead to rulebreaking, without technically breaking the rules.

For example: Before the policy change on Screenies thread, people posted nonsensical/'spammy' RS related pictures, and the moderators basically said that they couldn't do anything about it because it's an RS related picture. Another more recent example: "* Pking related pictures should be posted here; http://forum.tip.it/...m/18-graveyard/ " <- That's stating that pking related pictures are to be posted in graveyard, neglecting pking/staking related videos.

I think the rule about quote chains is a little difficult for some users (same reason as hide tagging profanities instead of going to paint and removing it). Couldn't the screenshots thread be tweaked so image tags are taken off automatically?

Perhaps staff should look into solutions to the issues above.

Additional thing: As I can't recall all the rules, and I'm assuming this isn't in the rules, perhaps put a line that says 'Moderators and Administrators reserve the right to edit/change the rules should they feel it's necessary' or something.

I know of one issue that seems a bit problematic. If a poster gets a temporary ban, the ban appeal is done through the forums, which they can't access. Also, because of the banning, you also don't seem to be able to logout. I don't know. how you'd appeal a ban unless you actually emailed someone outside of the tip website.

Also, Mods are a bit heavy handed in their attempts to protect the fragile mind of the chil'ren of these forums. And sometime Mods interpret you stating your opinion of a certain poster, like that they may be bitter, and they claim it's harrassment.

I know of one issue that seems a bit problematic. If a poster gets a temporary ban, the ban appeal is done through the forums, which they can't access. Also, because of the banning, you also don't seem to be able to logout. I don't know. how you'd appeal a ban unless you actually emailed someone outside of the tip website.

This was an issue for a while several months ago but was fixed. The ban appeal form page shows everyone as "logged out." You'll notice that if you navigate to that page it acts like you're logged out even though you're not. Therefore, it is perfectly possible to use the form to appeal a ban.

Although if there was an issue, the solution would be to clear your cookies which would log you out of your account and allow you to access the ban appeal page.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

This was an issue for a while several months ago but was fixed. The ban appeal form page shows everyone as "logged out." You'll notice that if you navigate to that page it acts like you're logged out even though you're not. Therefore, it is perfectly possible to use the form to appeal a ban.

Although if there was an issue, the solution would be to clear your cookies which would log you out of your account and allow you to access the ban appeal page.

i never heard about tif fixing the ban page!

the last time i was banned, i consulted with another forum member who is really staid, and told him exactly what caused my ban.. and.. he said i should try appealing it as it wasn't "that bad"... lo and behold, i log in and attempt to access the appeal page. tif doesn't let me do anything... and... even after clearing my cookies, i was still unable to "log out"!!!

i never bothered with appealing my ban.. and just found other stuff to do during that time.

however... i do feel that mods may be a little overzealous in banning people. especially if they have a personal interest -like if they're very good friends with the 'victim'-

i do find it a bit intimidating to actually converse with mods&admins.. it's such to the extent that i have to mentally prepare myself to be banned permantly by you just because i might be a little rude etc.

i have also known of at least two mods who i've interracted recently on tif that have expressed their desire to be treated like normal human beings and not like mods.. simply because they can't express their opinion without being scrutinized and found lacking.

i do think it stupid that disaggreements between mods and regulars are to be kept strictly inside of a PM. if that person really is innocent, then he/she has nothing to hide, and the community should decide what the punishment should be.

i realise i'm being idealistic here... but i grew up in a country where it was a normal thing to bribe the government officials to do what you want.. and as such, i personally view everyone in a figure of authority with distrust.

i also see warnings as a joke. it's a scare tactic.. and really as soon as the person is finished with being scared because he/she recieved the 'dreaded warning' from a mod, he/she'll just go right back to doing whatever he/she was doing before.

some people even like getting mods attention and do stuff to get warned!

i guess all i have to say is that i think banning is too severe, and 'warning' is too lax a punishment.

and yes i have ideas and methods that are tried and true on how to punish people. but anyone that knows me will prefer not yo ask.

If I recall correctly that fix was implemented much more recently then your last ban.

Clearing all cookies from forum.tip.it will log you out.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

however... i do feel that mods may be a little overzealous in banning people. especially if they have a personal interest -like if they're very good friends with the 'victim'-

Moderators are told that if they have any personal investment in an issue/person/situation, they should not deal with it. It should be handed over to another moderator to ensure that there is no bias. I think our moderators are pretty good about this but if you ever see an occasion where you think it might be happening, we would like to encourage you to report it to an administrator, because it should not be happening!

i do find it a bit intimidating to actually converse with mods&admins.. it's such to the extent that i have to mentally prepare myself to be banned permantly by you just because i might be a little rude etc.

Disagreeing and being blunt is perfectly fine. I understand the mentality there and it's probably not something you can just get over, but I'd like to try to reassure you anyway :P The only way you would be banned for being rude to a moderator is if you do legitimate flaming or name calling (like "why did you warn my friend?? You are such incompetent admin you [bleep]ing [bleep]!!" etc.).

i also see warnings as a joke. it's a scare tactic.. and really as soon as the person is finished with being scared because he/she recieved the 'dreaded warning' from a mod, he/she'll just go right back to doing whatever he/she was doing before.

and 'warning' is too lax a punishment.

Warnings aren't really meant to be punishment. Sometimes people don't violate the rules out of malice or disrespect for them. In many cases it's a lapse in judgment, heat of the moment, or just forgetfulness. Moderators serve as a reminder of the rules and of the consequences that will come if they continue to violate them. It's more of a way of educating people rather than punishing them. We use warnings to try to help people understand what the rules are, why we have them, how they should be followed, and what will happen if they're violated again. We're not really trying to scare people into following them, we're just trying to give them a fair warning (as the title suggests :P ) before giving them any actual punishment. It's an opportunity for people to change their behavior to be in accordance with the rules.

Thanks for posting :)

Posted Image

The overall-efficiency of the green mods is pretty....poor. I remember yesterday, I was arguing with a friend in the off-topic section about a pretty interesting issue. Out of the blue, 2 green mods come and delete half our posts because 1 post in the last 15 had a 'swear'. Apparently we're not allowed to argue now if it means using something relatively offensive...attn to all tip.iters: do not use any words beginning with the letters 'a-z', as chances are, in any given language, a swear could begin with one of those letters...

div>

The overall-efficiency of the green mods is pretty....poor. I remember yesterday, I was arguing with a friend in the off-topic section about a pretty interesting issue. Out of the blue, 2 green mods come and delete half our posts because 1 post in the last 15 had a 'swear'. Apparently we're not allowed to argue now if it means using something relatively offensive...attn to all tip.iters: do not use any words beginning with the letters 'a-z', as chances are, in any given language, a swear could begin with one of those letters...

(All mods are green :P)

Also no, you're not allowed to argue and use words that we censor. I don't know exactly what incident this was but censor evasion is clearly against the rules and if a post quotes that word we're gonna have to edit it out or remove it along with the offending post, or remove posts that make no sense when the offending post is removed. It's common sense.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

What happened was posts that evaded the censor were removed. It states quite clearly in our rules that if you evade the censor that is cause for post deletion.

polvCwJ.gif

It wasn't censor evasion though, it was posts being deleted because 1 post had a swear in it (note the plural form of 'post' for the deleted ones, and singular form of 'post' for the swear one). Seems that everything could be settled by adding either a 'mature section' to the forums, or by blocking any/all words that'd 'evade the censor'.

div>

It wasn't censor evasion though, it was posts being deleted because 1 post had a swear in it (note the plural form of 'post' for the deleted ones, and singular form of 'post' for the swear one). Seems that everything could be settled by adding either a 'mature section' to the forums, or by blocking any/all words that'd 'evade the censor'.

Not to quote you, but the specific examples of yours that were removed are hardly ones we would think to censor. I'm sure no one has the time to block every word with a mixture of @~)£&$"£ etc. It's a waste of our time, it's far easier to just remove it and warn you for it. You knew it was breaking rules when you wrote it in such a way that it evades the censor.

Our mods are inefficient because you cannot argue without swearing? That makes sense. If you could debate/argue without the need to swear, your posts wouldn't ring alarm bells when a member or moderator reads them.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

RIP Michaelangelopolous

Censor evasion is posting a word that is ordinarily censored in a manner that causes it to not be censored. Standard procedure is to remove posts with this in it. It should be entirely possible to post without evading the censor.

polvCwJ.gif

All I am dissatisfied with at this moment is bladewings ban. Although he trolled a bit, he made seemingly dull posts interesting.

He always gave good advice in h&a to me and countless others as well.

A member with a post count as high as he had shouldn't be banned unless the tif population actually felt that he was creating an uncomfortable atmosphere within this community.

Agent_G_F.png

All I am dissatisfied with at this moment is bladewings ban. Although he trolled a bit, he made seemingly dull posts interesting.

He always gave good advice in h&a to me and countless others as well.

A member with a post count as high as he had shouldn't be banned unless the tif population actually felt that he was creating an uncomfortable atmosphere within this community.

This topic isn't for discussing other members bans, especially when you do not know the entire facts.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

RIP Michaelangelopolous

If I recall correctly that fix was implemented much more recently then your last ban.

Clearing all cookies from forum.tip.it will log you out.

If you don't want to clear your cookies, you can always use the incognito function in Firefox or Google Chrome.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

I think there needs to be a new policy concerning how H&A is modded. Today was a bad day for this community. I'm afraid to say what I really think.

People who are openly critical of the mods are getting banned, what is this turning into?

PM me in game anytime

It's a lot easier then that for an idiot to sound smart on the internet.

That's exactly what you're doing right now... just saying.

Posting this in the right place - far from the eyes of the general population. :)

This message was sent to myself and many "efficiency clowns." This project was originally being headed by Quyneax and Bladewing was involved. Guess what? Three of the people involved have now been banned and most of the others have been ostracized to the point of boycotting it completely. Tip.it admins and mods and even the [bleep]ing general Tip.it population ban us, censor us, and send us to the preverbial gallows because we help people on these forums regardless of their feelings toward us. THEN WHEN THEY BAN US, THEY KEEP OUR GUIDES DESPITE MULTIPLE REQUESTS TO HAVE THEM REMOVED because their usefulness as a fansite directly correlates to the work we put in for them.

Frankly, this is pathetic. You can't ask us to help you and then [bleep]ing ban us and censor us.

Hello to all of you,

As you may have noticed the main site monster hunting guides have been long in need of an update which is something I would very much like to do. However, the tip.it crew has a bit of a boss hunter shortage at the moment and we don't have very many people with lots of boss hunting experience that would be qualified to update these guides. Over the past few weeks you guys have expressed interest in helping us out with our monster hunting guides through various channels. It has gotten rather confusing with all the loose PMs flying around everywhere, so we're establishing this PM to get a small status update on what has already been done and how we can proceed. We'd love to have your help in this organized effort to update our monster hunting guides to be as good as they can be!

What we would like to do is to setup a private board on the forum for all of us to collaborate and get the guides updated. Please let me know what you think of this and if you want to go forward please add anyone in your monster hunting group who can help with the project to this PM and we'll get things setup. (Quyneax, please also add the people that you contacted originally about getting the guides updated if they are still interested.)

Thanks,

Tecmaster532

^ This will never get done. Nice one, Tip.it.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.