Do you prefer the fun posts, or the serious posts?

DragnFly

Generally, I find that the off-topic forum has two different kinds of posts:

The fun posts, and more lighter topics (for example, food type posts)

Then the serious posts (news topics, political debates, etc...)

Thought it would be an interesting question, which type do you generally prefer to read?

Personally, I tend to like the fun posts (though they seem in short supply these days). They generally are interesting to read, you don't have to take all of them seriously. The more serious posts I find brings out the worst side in many posters.

I do like the serious posts as they tend to lead to interesting conversation which brings out the less active (as such) users, and brings a mix of characters.

However fun posts are also good as they make for a less boring/tedious read. :^_^:

I like topics that are serious but not overly serious, ones you can engage in a conversation yet you don't have to worry about sparking a heavy debate that'll lead to pages and pages of trying to outdo your opposition, but rarely goes anywhere because no one is ever willing to compromise. Fun topics are fun but get boring to me and I loss interest quick.

tFtfA.jpg

Off-topic as a whole has suffered in the past few years from a nasty case of Cerebus Syndrome.. I think we just need a change of pace to having a more light-hearted board. Meaning more silly/fun posts.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

Off-topic as a whole has suffered in the past few years from a nasty case of Cerebus Syndrome.. I think we just need a change of pace to having a more light-hearted board. Meaning more silly/fun posts.

I'd prefer mood whiplash, myself. Let's have some silly posts alongside the serious, depressing ones.

Fun posts mainly.

Anything religious or polictics related, I'll steer clear of.

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

I prefer posting in the "fun" ones but I do read the serious ones. I just refrain from posting in there because they do tend to only go back and forth repeatably and er, because I'm not really that eloquent with my speech so I don't get my point across clearly.

rc1tzc.png

☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢

Fun posts. I find debates to be pretty pointless so I'm not a huge fan of the serious threads. I usually post my opinion and then get out. I don't care if other people disagree with me and it's almost impossible to actually successfully change someone's mind. Either their mind will never change or they'll be too proud to admit that you were right.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

I would agree that the off-topic board has taken more a change in tone, especially in more recent years.

While there has always been some serious topics, the board is filled with them at this point. In fact, the majority are just constant rehashes of previous topics. For example, posts related to Marijuana legalization have been beaten to death, and even the majority of people replying to the last post on the subject acknowledges this.

Typically, I usually hear people saying that they do indeed prefer the fun topics. However, the serious ones continues to dominate. That is part of the reason for this post, to bring the issue up and to discuss it. If we get enough people talking, then perhaps it will change the mood of this board a bit by encouraging users to post more fun topics.

Perhaps its due to a shortage of fun posters (such as Bubsa) that are still active these days.

Personally, I prefer the posts where people argue about penis skin.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

Fun topics. Serious ones are too serious, to which I [and many others] add their two cents and walk away. Or troll.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

I find that a bit of a false dilemma really - Surely there's a type of post in between.

I think 'fun' posts/threads are great and all, as evidenced in threads like 'Food' or 'Hot celebrities/models', but it's also nice to share opinions about a particular subject that may spark controversy.

I think the 'Things that annoy the HELL out of you' thread would serve as a thread that's somewhat inbetween, because most posts aren't very serious, but they can be. That's the best compromise in my view.

Personally, I prefer the posts where people argue about penis skin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KXmcNfEFMI

I find that a bit of a false dilemma really - Surely there's a type of post in between.

I think 'fun' posts/threads are great and all, as evidenced in threads like 'Food' or 'Hot celebrities/models', but it's also nice to share opinions about a particular subject that may spark controversy.

I think the 'Things that annoy the HELL out of you' thread would serve as a thread that's somewhat inbetween, because most posts aren't very serious, but they can be. That's the best compromise in my view.

I'm well aware that its not all that black and white, nor was I trying to imply that it was. I was speaking in more general terms on the styles of posts.

I made some minor edits to my last reply, in order to make my intentions more clear about this post.

Basically, I thought it would serve to create discussion and perhaps encourage more users to post more of the fun topics alongside the serious ones.

A mix of both is always nice. I suppose it depends on the mood of people. Sometimes you might be tired and not willing to argue, so the fun topics will end up being better to participate in.

j0xPu5R.png

I like to mellow out and take it easy. I'm not one to seek any kind of conflict; much prefer to keep out of it and carry on. Quite the opposite of how I used to be a few years ago. I've seen enough "serious" threads deteriorate into needless drama to know that I should steer well clear of them.

I admire posters who can raise a valid point but keep you from falling asleep at the same time. When you're one extreme or the other, it's just kind of annoying.