1-Oct-2011: Behind the Scenes - October

Guest Melvinkooi

Looking over it again, I'd like to add that I'm rather excited to see what the new gloves are going to do for "unarmed" combat.

Of course, I'm also not getting up my hopes too much :P

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So damn excited if we get to fight nomad again. Would love to see how I do now I have a rapier, ovls, turm etc. Will be interesting to see if it's really easy or still very difficult.

Agility D&D sounds good, always nice to be able to get a bit of exp every week - it'll add up :)

Other two - meh. Might not even bother with the halloween event, they can be so dull..

It seems this game is moving more and more to a game where you first need to invest 100+ hours before you can do anything "fun" or "worthwhile". Really with updates like these they won't ever attract new customers, and runescape is in dire need of new customers.

Low-level bosses have the slight problem that they are high-level slayer monsters... if you make content like the Tormented Wraith worth doing (at a low level), there will always be a high level to crash that low level because they can do the same thing but faster, cheaper etc. and make even more money. I don't see much need for bosses with a combat level cap either (e.g. you must be this level or below to enter). DG bosses, however, scale with level, that could maybe be used overworld... but lower levels should not have access to the same loot or there would be no reward from levelling apart from levelling, which is already a complaint in lots of skills.

Of course a higher level can do a lower level thing better... However if you achieve high level there *should* be better things..

That's at least the thing you learn when following a course of game design & keeping people occupied: you have to give the feeling there's always a bigger mountain after the one you just climbed.

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

So absolutely everything is at the end of the month?

What do we get the first 3 weeks then? :unsure:

Combine that with September's last week being no update, that means a no-update month?

Unknown_Warrior.jpegIgGCP.png

Dragon Drops : 5 Dragon Medium Helmets, 3 Dragon Claws, 3 Dragon platelegs, 2 Dragon plateskirts, 2 Dragon Hatchets, 2 Dragon Spears, 7 pairs of Dragon Boots, 1 Dragon pickaxe, 10 Dragon defenders, 3 Dragon 2h swords, 1 Dragon armour Slice, 1 Dragon armour Lump, 1 Dragon chainbody, 1 Dragon kiteshield, 1 Dragon hasta, 1 Dragon ward, 25 Dragon knives pairs
The Warrior's Blog , Herblore Habitat - Efficient and profitable

[hide=Stats and logs]

The_Warrior.png
.:Adventurer's Log:.

[/hide]

It seems this game is moving more and more to a game where you first need to invest 100+ hours before you can do anything "fun" or "worthwhile". Really with updates like these they won't ever attract new customers, and runescape is in dire need of new customers.

Low-level bosses have the slight problem that they are high-level slayer monsters... if you make content like the Tormented Wraith worth doing (at a low level), there will always be a high level to crash that low level because they can do the same thing but faster, cheaper etc. and make even more money. I don't see much need for bosses with a combat level cap either (e.g. you must be this level or below to enter). DG bosses, however, scale with level, that could maybe be used overworld... but lower levels should not have access to the same loot or there would be no reward from levelling apart from levelling, which is already a complaint in lots of skills.

Of course a higher level can do a lower level thing better... However if you achieve high level there *should* be better things..

That's at least the thing you learn when following a course of game design & keeping people occupied: you have to give the feeling there's always a bigger mountain after the one you just climbed.

But in a game where money gets you places which is better:

Killing a challenging high level boss that costs you like 2k per kill and has a 1 in 1000 drop of an item worth 1mil OR camp a low end boss tht u can pwn and thus spend 1k for 10 kills and has a 1 in 10 drop rate of an item worth 100k.

The obvious choice is the later, less effort and cost for more money:

The first would cost you 2,000,000 for 1000 kills for a 1mil item so down by 1mil.

The second cost 1k for 10 kills, make 100k that's a 90k profit at a greater speed.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Sounds promising, though I would have preferred that new Slayer dungeon this month instead.

7rwjf.png
Leik.png
LIVERPOOL WILL WIN THE PREMIER LEAGUE THIS SEASON.
[01:24:34] CJ Hunnicutt: it takes skill to be that [bleep]ing stupid

Are the KQ, mole, or KBD now considered bosses for lower levels?

KQ is still harder than most bosses.

In fact, I think only Corp and Nex are harder to kill.

Dragon Drops : 5 Dragon Medium Helmets, 3 Dragon Claws, 3 Dragon platelegs, 2 Dragon plateskirts, 2 Dragon Hatchets, 2 Dragon Spears, 7 pairs of Dragon Boots, 1 Dragon pickaxe, 10 Dragon defenders, 3 Dragon 2h swords, 1 Dragon armour Slice, 1 Dragon armour Lump, 1 Dragon chainbody, 1 Dragon kiteshield, 1 Dragon hasta, 1 Dragon ward, 25 Dragon knives pairs

[hide=Stats and logs]

The_Warrior.png

[/hide]

Excited for the Dominion Tower, hope it turns out to be a good high level combat update.

And lol at people saying that we have enough high combat content... Currently I'd say that Nex and Corp are the ONLY monsters we have that are really aimed at maxed players. The rest of the bosses can easily be soloed 20-30+ times per trip.

There is so much low level content that it's impossible to even do it all without becoming high level in the process.

Chat and camera updates may be more significant than we think. Runescape is one of the last few (true) MMORPGs that is sticking to a point-and-click mode. Anything to make it more convenient for players would be a boon.

I'm not buying into Dominion Tower though. Sounds exciting, but it also sounds like they're looking for guinea pigs at Runefest to squish bugs for them. :rolleyes:

it also sounds like they're looking for guinea pigs at Runefest to squish bugs for them. :rolleyes:

Heh heh, just imagine the looks on the dev's/QA team's faces when someone there discovers a game-breaking bug :P

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Ah ok scratch that one.

It is just that she has been out for 3-4 years, thought she may have gotten outdated, in terms of drops I supose, but not difficulty.

Oh yes, very. In my quest of DIY Dragon chainbody (see blog), I've killed her approximately 60 times solo. Before Turmoil, I couldn't consistently do two kills. After turmoil and, more importantly, the ability to use deflect curses, I can. That's because about 1/3 of the damage that she sustains is solely from her own attack's deflections.

But she still is a boss that deals extremely accurate hits, often in the high 200s. And she has 5100 LP. And she has extremely high defences towards either range/mage or melee.

Her drops I logged:

[hide]

1. amulet of power

2. fire runes

3. lobsters

4. rune chainbody

5. uncut emerald

6. fire runes

7. nature rune

8. mithril arrows

9. blood rune

10. uncut sapphire

11. law rune

12. wine of zamorak

13. mithril arrows

14. nature rune

15. blood rune

16. uncut emerald

17. mithril arrows

18. wine of zamorak

19. nature rune

20. nature rune

21. wine of zamorak

22. Rune arrows

23. Tooth half of a key

24. Lava battlestaff

25. Death runes

26. wine of zamorak

27. blood rune

28. nature rune

29. Loop half of a key

30. rune chainbody

31. rune chainbody

32. fire runes

33. rune chainbody

34. mithril arrows

35. fire runes

36. law rune

37. Loop half of a key

38. nothing

39. adamant spear

40. wine of zamorak

41. adamant spear

42. Tooth half of a key

43. amulet of power

44. Death runes

45. mithril arrows

46. nature rune[/hide]

She is basically the epitome of a crappy boss. Very hard to kill, extremely pitiful loot.

[hide=Stats and logs]

The_Warrior.png

[/hide]

I suppose that could be true, but if its an unlock combat challenges thing that is self contained and reqs quests for the bosses I can't see it taking all that long to fully unlock.

It could be like the court cases, you can only do X amount every X days or something like the troll invasion where the easy one is accessible first and then a while later the harder levels will be unlocked.

howlin1eeveesig.png

Nice BTS overall. ^_^ Although I feel like I'm having citadels shoved down my throat.. It was nice the first week or two... Then it just kind of got ugh. :-?

Tower sounds awesome, lets hope it actually provides a difficult challenge to the boss fights. Would love to fight multiple bosses at once for example so hopefully that's an option and would be great if it wasn't just quest monsters because fighting the KQ, Chaos Elemental and KBD at once would be interesting.

I am absolutely thrilled to hear about the camera control changes. It's not quite what I hoped for (I really want the WASD to be toggle-use) but it's awesome in that I don't have to reach across my keyboard anymore to twist the keyboard. First thing though: I don't believe the dominion glove will outclass RFD gloves. The concept of the tower is very impressive, and I'll probably love going through it once. I look forward to this update but as always, I have my healthy dose of skepticism. The chat changes sound terrific and I'm positively thrilled to hear about autowrapping in particular. The Pit sounds great for those training agility and I can't wait to hear more about it. This Halloween event sounds adorably silly.

This month is pretty good. :)

hzvjpwS.gif

DOMINION TOWER

Everytime I read it I think deep voice and echo, lol.

Sounds neat, but I would've much preferred over 50 new bosses rather than more recycled content.

Let's face it. At the moment, most quest bosses are flick on deflect melee and melee it to death.

Hopefully the gloves match the Glacor boots though... We've had Barrows gloves for YEARS.

Halloween events are always a nice 15-60 min show of the latest graphics. I actually liked the Bone Brooch we got last time too.

The fact that they're adding special details to the already visually spectacular citadels makes it sound even better.

Not much to say on Agility D&D. I've never been a fan of D&Ds in general, mainly because there's still no alert system telling me when I can go do them again, other than that privacy intrusive toolbar. If they made in-game pop-ups for repeatable events I might have a different opinion.

At least it kinda sounds like what I would've envisioned Brimhaven Agility "Dungeon" to be, so I will be looking forward to how it goes.

2dgucz6.png

I suppose that could be true, but if its an unlock combat challenges thing that is self contained and reqs quests for the bosses I can't see it taking all that long to fully unlock. I mean if its framed around quest bosses the worst we got is Nomad and i highly doubt he'd be in there (too much of a person opposed to a monster); even if we have fight cave like endurance waves we know most of the monsters so for a torva, rapier, overlord, turmoil person could it really take long to suss out?

Nomad won the Guaranteed Content Poll by a pretty wide margin, so I can't imagine him getting left out.

I suppose that could be true, but if its an unlock combat challenges thing that is self contained and reqs quests for the bosses I can't see it taking all that long to fully unlock. I mean if its framed around quest bosses the worst we got is Nomad and i highly doubt he'd be in there (too much of a person opposed to a monster); even if we have fight cave like endurance waves we know most of the monsters so for a torva, rapier, overlord, turmoil person could it really take long to suss out?

Nomad won the Guaranteed Content Poll by a pretty wide margin, so I can't imagine him getting left out.

Total forgot them 5 polls, so that suggests:

Poll 1: None...Delrith was 2nd and they mentioned him so assuming they skipped none.

poll 2 Evlarg

poll 3: Fareed

poll 4: evil chicken

poll 4: Nomad

sounds like a reasonably nice spread of bosses.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue