Frost dragons have a new attack (gf bots for a week or two)

Powerfrog

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't matter whether this update made killing Frost dragons more inconvenient.

They were so swarmed with bots that it wasn't even doable to kill them anyway.

Either:

- Don't change mechanics and have them swarmed with bots - making it nigh-impossible for a legit kill. Result: You are not going to kill any frosts.

- Make the mechanics much harder to the point that you stop bothering. Result: You are not going to kill any frosts.

Like most of the people on these forums, I have access to glacors. Glacors are easier for me to get to, easier for me to get into a rythm, less costly in supplies, better in charms and effigies (I think?). And I don't need a packyak to do them proper. So I'm not going to kill any frosts just because there are temporarily less bots there and more instances. I don't want to even bother with them.

I'm happy to see the changes as a player, and I agree it's stupid to get mad at Jagex for not being victorious out of the gate...but you'll have to forgive me if I'm not jumping for joy and preaching the Good J-Word :P I am interested in seeing if combat style changes will be slowly carried out through other botted monsters, like Aviansies. It's really more impacting on lower level players, all these changes.

Edited by Kimberly
Formatting changes :P

hzvjpwS.gif

It doesn't matter whether this update made killing Frost dragons more inconvenient.

Either:

- Don't change mechanics and have them swarmed with bots - making it nigh-impossible for a legit kill. Result: You are not going to kill any frosts.

- Make the mechanics much harder to the point that you stop bothering. Result: You are not going to kill any frosts.

Seriously, out of ALL the [bleep]ING I heard in this thread, who of you actually spent a reasonable amount of time in the Asgarnian resource dungeon the past month or so (quick hour fresh after update doesn't count). I can assure you this won't be more than 3 people. It's so typical, so RSOF, to whine about content you don't even do to the point that it's absolutely tiring. I came here 5 years ago because it was different from RSOF; more intelligent and interesting discussions. I don't feel that any more. I just find people complaining about everything, clearly playing a game that they claim to not like, developed by people they hate and played by peers that are, by proxy, dumb and ignorant.

I quit a while back and came back in September wondering just why I quit in the first place. Now I remember. It's not the bots, it's not the lack of content. It's a userbase that insists on cynisism and pessimism and feels that this has to be shared at any appropiate moment. It's basically just a more eloquent RSOF.

And it's just so tiring.

Brilliant post, I absolutely agree with everything you said. If there was a "like" button I would use it :P

Either:

Seriously, out of ALL the [bleep]ING I heard in this thread, who of you actually spent a reasonable amount of time in the Asgarnian resource dungeon the past month or so (quick hour fresh after update doesn't count). I can assure you this won't be more than 3 people. It's so typical, so RSOF, to whine about content you don't even do to the point that it's absolutely tiring. I came here 5 years ago because it was different from RSOF; more intelligent and interesting discussions. I don't feel that any more. I just find people complaining about everything, clearly playing a game that they claim to not like, developed by people they hate and played by peers that are, by proxy, dumb and ignorant.

I quit a while back and came back in September wondering just why I quit in the first place. Now I remember. It's not the bots, it's not the lack of content. It's a userbase that insists on cynisism and pessimism and feels that this has to be shared at any appropiate moment. It's basically just a more eloquent RSOF.

And it's just so tiring.

Brilliant post, I absolutely agree with everything you said. If there was a "like" button I would use it :P

I don't. He completely disregards any aspect of principle, or idiocy/inefficacy/asinine steps on Jagex's part. Frankly, his view, while an opinion yes, is logically flawed and thus inherently not only incorrect but irrelevant. The point isn't that people do frosts for all their cash. Its that Jagex is breaking normal game play to try and fix bots, when they do nothing of the sort, and end up making it even harder for legitimate players. This is the point he completely misses, and that is what makes it a "no link" (as it would be called in debate).

And people call me a cynic...

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Either:

And it's just so tiring.

I don't. He completely disregards any aspect of principle, or idiocy/inefficacy/asinine steps on Jagex's part. Frankly, his view, while an opinion yes, is logically flawed and thus inherently not only incorrect but irrelevant. The point isn't that people do frosts for all their cash. Its that Jagex is breaking normal game play to try and fix bots, when they do nothing of the sort, and end up making it even harder for legitimate players. This is the point he completely misses, and that is what makes it a "no link" (as it would be called in debate).

I'm not sure you've done any form of competitive debate in high school or college, because your post made absolutely no sense at all. If you really break want to break it down, his post would be two fold.

First is defense on the "omg it hurts legit players disadvantage", by saying that the status quo wasn't much a better (a non-unique), so the disad doesn't necessarily outweigh the case (decision to make frosts harder).

Second was a kritik of your disad with the impact of player pessimism and how it ruins the game (at least for him). The link is simply players being pessimistic (which is supported by evidence on TIF), and your no link argument is silly and completely warrantless.

Also, at the time of writing this post anyway, frosts are completely empty.

inb4trololololololololololololol

Either:

And it's just so tiring.

I'm not sure you've done any form of competitive debate in high school or college, because your post made absolutely no sense at all. If you really break want to break it down, his post would be two fold.

First is defense on the "omg it hurts legit players disadvantage", by saying that the status quo wasn't much a better (a non-unique), so the disad doesn't necessarily outweigh the case (decision to make frosts harder).

Second was a kritik of your disad with the impact of player pessimism and how it ruins the game (at least for him). The link is simply players being pessimistic (which is supported by evidence on TIF), and your no link argument is silly and completely warrantless.

Actually, the K was against TIF, not against the game in general, as proven by the reference to "more elegant RSOF". Thus the K is not relevant, bad for education, (fill in random K bad/ theory arguments here) As well, his status quo was about TIF users specifically, and how the change doesn't effect us since we (TIF users) as a rule don't hunt frosties for the main source of our income. Thus, he is specifically talking about TIF users in the entirety of his post. Its not about the SQ of bots, at least not directly. On a separate note, saying the post-aff world is not much better then the pre-aff/post neg world is pretty bad defense, if you look at it from that standpoint. There is no real impact as to why it is worse, with many benefits of reducing bottting or the profitability of botting. That DA wouldn't stand up, and I for sure wouldn't go for it in the 2NR if I were neg.

The K, although flawed, is actually the stronger argument if you accept the premise that being cynical is bad for the game, which I reject as false. I still think his argument doesn't link to the topic.

Its a bit convoluted, trying to make it fit into debate style TBH, and its 4:45 AM, so I'm done for now, but its interesting to read your response :P TIF should have their own debate topic or two once in a while lol, it'd be fun.

Pre change world> post change world IMO. Changing frosts hurts legit layers more then bots. It sets bad precedent, and its disheartening to see how, even with Jagex actively trying to combat bots, they are ineffective at best, destructive/deleterious at worst.

Stonewall337.png
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)

Either:

And it's just so tiring.

Actually, the K was against TIF, not against the game in general, as proven by the reference to "more elegant RSOF". Thus the K is not relevant, bad for education, (fill in random K bad/ theory arguments here) As well, his status quo was about TIF users specifically, and how the change doesn't effect us since we (TIF users) as a rule don't hunt frosties for the main source of our income. Thus, he is specifically talking about TIF users in the entirety of his post. Its not about the SQ of bots, at least not directly. On a separate note, saying the post-aff world is not much better then the pre-aff/post neg world is pretty bad defense, if you look at it from that standpoint. There is no real impact as to why it is worse, with many benefits of reducing bottting or the profitability of botting. That DA wouldn't stand up, and I for sure wouldn't go for it in the 2NR if I were neg.

The K, although flawed, is actually the stronger argument if you accept the premise that being cynical is bad for the game, which I reject as false. I still think his argument doesn't link to the topic.

Its a bit convoluted, trying to make it fit into debate style TBH, and its 4:45 AM, so I'm done for now, but its interesting to read your response :P TIF should have their own debate topic or two once in a while lol, it'd be fun.

Pre change world> post change world IMO. Changing frosts hurts legit layers more then bots. It sets bad precedent, and its disheartening to see how, even with Jagex actively trying to combat bots, they are ineffective at best, destructive/deleterious at worst.

Conceding K was against TIF, not sure why that means K is flawed. K's dont have to be germane to the resolution or the affirmative case, rhetoric K's of DA's are independent reasons to vote aff so long as the impact outweighs your offense. (I don't exactly who's going to judge the logic behind cynicalism=bad, or explain how it outweighs the disad but it's certainly something worth pointing out) <insert affirmative K's good framework here>.

I don't think he was talking about TIF users so much as aff advantages (no bots), vs the disad (makes it more annoying for legit players). Whether TIF users do frosts or not are irrelevant, this is about improving the environment at frosts in general. And yeah, there really isn't much offense coming from the aff if you win the argument that bots are inevitable, and then the DA prob would O/W the case. But as for now, since there's absolutely no bots, frosts are probably better since it's actually possibly to get kills, unlike before where it was just so crowded you couldn't even get a kill. Reduced KPH>0 KPH, increase in frost bones prices helps too, which proves that case(at least right now) O/W DA/vote aff.

And tbh i think it sets a good precedent, in that jagex is actually trying to do something about bots rather than watch it destroy the game. I don't exactly see an alternative or CP, so it's either that or the STQO of massive botting.

Um not sure if this has been mentioned but the ball thingy basically recoils all damage you would've inflicted onto the frost dragon onto you and the dragon receives no damage.

That's what someone told me when I went down there anyway, and I tested it out a little and the theory sounded good to me. I also saw a few bots there, two were stuck in a corner but one seemed to be working alright.

(well he was actually killing them, which is better than what the other ones were doing anyway.)

I think the update would be fine if it wasn't for their range attack, that's what dealt the most damage on me anyway. The ball thingy isn't too bad.

Either:

And it's just so tiring.

+1 :thumbsup:

Also, perhaps Jagex ought to recruit a few bot-experts, pay them a shed-load of money for poacher-turned-gamekeeper. It works that way with hackers and virus writers.... Also seems to me that one or two posters here know a suspicious amount about botting....... just thinking out loud :shades:

Rozanante.png

Rozanante.png

Still the proud owner of Quest Cape since 8th December 2007

All skills used to be 70 or higher. (Dang you Dungeoneering. Oh wait, it's not a skill...)

Drops: Whips 8, Black Mask 8, D/Skirt 1, D/Spear 1, D/Shield Left Half 1, D/Boots 12, G/Maul 4, Range Ammy 1, Hexcrest 1.

... which says, really, two things:

1. The peeps over at Jagex appear to be even more out of touch with the game than we originally thought -- as was previously demonstrated by updates like the "Artisan's Workshop" and the "Charm Sprites" as Smithing and Summoning upgrades respectively.

I suppose that one should give a nod to the effort made this time 'round on Jagex's part for attempting to "fix" a bot problem, the reality is that they've fixed nothing and broke it.

2. The peeps at Jagex don't really know how to combat bots. This "fix", in effect, no matter how temporary does nothing to amend the situation in any foreseeable way, except to force the bot makers to edit their scripts. It's not stopping the bots at all.

Dunno -- maybe it is better that they're going to throw open the "war against bots" to the general public and see if anyone can come up with better ideas on how to get a handle on them.

Maybe we need a GWB-esque type personality make a public announcement on the War on Bots ? (... if you're not with us, you're against us ...)

:unsure:

nyuseg.png

Also, perhaps Jagex ought to recruit a few bot-experts, pay them a shed-load of money for poacher-turned-gamekeeper. It works that way with hackers and virus writers.... Also seems to me that one or two posters here know a suspicious amount about botting....... just thinking out loud :shades:

Wicked/Stev already suggested that approach a while back and I agree, it's what they should do. It's all very "to catch a thief", but such an approach is usually most successful.

Anyone ever see the film "Catch Me If You Can?" it's based a the true story of the guy who, in the end, basically was responsible for setting up most of the security systems banks now use to avoid cheque fraud.

:rolleyes:

nyuseg.png

I'm all for the frost dragon nerf, but why on earth did the multiply the amount of dragons by 10? The only thing from keeping an infinite amoutn of bones coming into the game was that the game physically couldn't spawn enough dragons for the bots to kill. (Yeah...) but now it can! Bone prices will probably be at an all time low after the bots are perfected (Seems like they're close already) and the bots will make much more money thanks to not having competition.

Nice attempt jagex, i love that you're trying, but for the love of god, do not add MORE dragons into the game if the only thing holding back bots was the fact they're too crowded.

CNqWHdA.jpg

I'm all for the frost dragon nerf, but why on earth did the multiply the amount of dragons by 10? The only thing from keeping an infinite amoutn of bones coming into the game was that the game physically couldn't spawn enough dragons for the bots to kill. (Yeah...) but now it can! Bone prices will probably be at an all time low after the bots are perfected (Seems like they're close already) and the bots will make much more money thanks to not having competition.

Nice attempt jagex, i love that you're trying, but for the love of god, do not add MORE dragons into the game if the only thing holding back bots was the fact they're too crowded.

Hmmm - maybe their cunning plan was to make frost dragons so plentiful and frost bones so easy to get that frost bones will become practially worthless and bots won't go after them anymore?

:rolleyes:

nyuseg.png

Concede that, if based on the assumption that frosts w/ bots= 0 KPH and new frosts=reduced KPH compared to KPH before, that post jagex change is good. However, as can be seen now, bots are back just as readily as before, and now its harder for legitimate players. Thats why I think the DA of harming legitimate players over bots outweighs case. No solvency.

Stonewall337.png

Biyaunte, there may be one move Jagex's trying to do, and that's moving towards manual banning. There are only 76k players with 85 dungeoneering or above, after all. A substantial reduction in legit players may make it easier for them to sort out bots. Though increasing the instances seem to be counterintuitive if they're trying to get more people to be active in reporting bots.

Conceding K was against TIF, not sure why that means K is flawed. K's dont have to be germane to the resolution or the affirmative case, rhetoric K's of DA's are independent reasons to vote aff so long as the impact outweighs your offense. (I don't exactly who's going to judge the logic behind cynicalism=bad, or explain how it outweighs the disad but it's certainly something worth pointing out) <insert affirmative K's good framework here>.

I've judged college CX and LD rounds. Can I judge? :rolleyes: You may wish to explain your jargon to the average reader if you're really looking for people to read your posts.

Concede that, if based on the assumption that frosts w/ bots= 0 KPH and new frosts=reduced KPH compared to KPH before, that post jagex change is good. However, as can be seen now, bots are back just as readily as before, and now its harder for legitimate players. Thats why I think the DA of harming legitimate players over bots outweighs case. No solvency.

If solvency is towards the harms of bots, then status quo had no solvency to begin with. However, net harm in the end is greater due to implementation of aff policy (bots back within days, difficult for legit players to obtain bones), so I'm extremely tempted to vote neg.

Biyaunte, there may be one move Jagex's trying to do, and that's moving towards manual banning. There are only 76k players with 85 dungeoneering or above, after all. A substantial reduction in legit players may make it easier for them to sort out bots. Though increasing the instances seem to be counterintuitive if they're trying to get more people to be active in reporting bots.

I've judged college CX and LD rounds. Can I judge? :rolleyes: You may wish to explain your jargon to the average reader if you're really looking for people to read your posts.

If solvency is towards the harms of bots, then status quo had no solvency to begin with. However, net harm in the end is greater due to implementation of aff policy (bots back within days, difficult for legit players to obtain bones), so I'm extremely tempted to vote neg.

DA outweighs. If I knew a good way to counter bots I'd have a counter plan but I don't. My point wasn't that SQ was good, rather it was that disad outweighs case, because of bad precedent of inefficacy, harm to legitimate players, as well as the fact that there is no solvency.

That being said, if this change were to continue and make it much harder for bots, without harming legitimate players I'd not be opposed-However, all evidence is pointing to the contrary.

Stonewall337.png

I feel like really hard to read captchas are about the only thing Jagex could do to really stem the tide of bots, as was done with sleeping bags.

But that would also be intensely annoying for legitimate players, as we also saw with those things.

A: It would be extremely frustrating for a new player or any player to be forced to enter captcha codes. B: It wouldn't take much time to find a workaround to all bots should that ever be the case (there are sophisticated enough algorithms to solve capcatcha, we're not in the 1990s). C: It may be implemented in such a fashion that it's worse than the 'inconvenience' of bots in the first place, and thus counterproductive as I've said many times before.

The only viable solutions I can find would be either to re-remove the wilderness/freetrade, or to remove every incentive to bot/rwt (on the demand side).

A: It would be extremely frustrating for a new player or any player to be forced to enter captcha codes. B: It wouldn't take much time to find a workaround to all bots should that ever be the case (there are sophisticated enough algorithms to solve capcatcha, we're not in the 1990s). C: It may be implemented in such a fashion that it's worse than the 'inconvenience' of bots in the first place, and thus counterproductive as I've said many times before.

The only viable solutions I can find would be either to re-remove the wilderness/freetrade, or to remove every incentive to bot/rwt (on the demand side).

Captchas have evolved since the 90's too. There are captchas that no software can hack yet. I think simply entering a captcha is much easier and less annoying than picking an evil twin with a crane or popping a certain type of ballon THREE DAMN TIMES.

the-graduate-bus.png

There are in essence two kinds of bots: the gold farmers and the people who bot their accounts to raise skills, and whilst removing free trade/wilderness would remove the former, there would still be the problem of the best training spots being overwhelmed. These kind of bots are the worst, as they often bot on their main accounts, meaning they have access to all the content that requires high level skills/quests. As A13D pointed out somewhere, there are bots with over 170 million hunter experience - and Jagex keeps 'close tabs' on high levelled players hmm? Removing free trade/wilderness will temporarily alleviate the problem, nothing more.

And if you think people couldn't rwt without free trade/wilderness, for sure most gold selling sites weren't as active, but there are other sites where people have recorded videos of trades selling over fifty thousand dollars of Runescape gold during restricted trade, with the guys account name showing and yet he wasn't banned. This guy now owns the biggest dicing clan in Runescape (not Winallday before people ask) and freely advertises on another forum site (Im sure you know which one) that since free trade he has handled over seven hundred thousand dollars of RSGP - and yet he isn't banned. It really is sickening how Jagex just lets this guy get away with it.

Asmodean <3

I honestly wonder if these anti-capcha people are secretly scared botters. No. Bots can not solve capchas, that's the entire point of a capcha. (Advanced scanning software can crack some, but these are mostly children working with javascript. They will not crack an externally fed capcha in runescape.)

And no, it's not a lot of effort for a legit player, the above i can excuse due to ignorance, but this point is rediculous. It takes 2-3 seconds to enter a capcha, maybe 3 attempts at most if you're dealt a hard to read one. A random event usually lasts over a minute. HOW ON EARTH is a capcha more inconvenient than the useless randoms we have now?

Sorry this got off topic, but you guys really need to be more subtle with your bot defending.

By the way, the orb's damage is a direct 100% recoil of your potential attack, but instead of taking your actual attack, you roll 2 dice for the attack. First one being your actual attack, second being the recoil. So you can possibly roll a 500 and hit the dragon, and then roll a 0 and take no recoil. Or the reverse.

CNqWHdA.jpg

The amount of rhetoric in the above post (Powerfrog) is simply shameful - please revise your posts before posting. There are plenty of incentive for a mainstream programmer to circumvent capcha - scripting is highly profitable.

The difficulty of solving a capcha is a value judgement - it would be more of an inconvenience than anything. You must not neglect the target audience - those being mostly young teenagers who's likely to have a short attention span for solving seemingly pointless 'random events'. A solution such as this would be completely counterproductive and simply impractical - how are you suggesting it to be implemented?

EDIT @Von: I'm sorry, but did I miss something? Last time I've heard - there weren't 95% of bots. Please provide some support for your currently unfounded claims.

The amount of rhetoric in the above post (Powerfrog) is simply shameful - please revise your posts before posting. There are plenty of incentive for a mainstream programmer to circumvent capcha - scripting is highly profitable.

The difficulty of solving a capcha is a value judgement - it would be more of an inconvenience than anything. You must not neglect the target audience - those being mostly young teenagers who's likely to have a short attention span for solving seemingly pointless 'random events'. A solution such as this would be completely counterproductive and simply impractical - how are you suggesting it to be implemented?

EDIT @Von: I'm sorry, but did I miss something? Last time I've heard - there weren't 95% of bots. Please provide some support for your currently unfounded claims.

I don't understand what you want me to do? I posted my opinion,of course I can't know if they are 95% or another high number,but I'll bet anything that it is far more than main bots

M3DO.png

Mamiću odlazi!