Mod impersonation

Urza285

Ok this straight up freaked me out. I was doing some last minute crap before getting my daily assists and heading off to bed and this "Mod Mark" pm's me what you see. In complete disbelief I rick click his name and his name is something completely different:

rsnamehack.jpg

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

look for a gold crown

/thread

No, not "/thread"... This person shouldn't be able to have a "mask" so to say. Thats some pretty good deception rihght there.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

That would be the PM update. You can now do 255 characters + text can wrap.

Oh wow I didn't even see the first line of text... All I saw was the last two. How the hell did I not notice that? I'm usually pretty observant and spot dumb crap like that... Ohhh man slick little bastard isn't he?

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

its all 1 message by the server guy

Yeah I just noticed, but thats a damn good scam. Well at least I'm putting this out there so I can help expand everyones scam repertoire and be alert :s. I mean the whole website thing tripped a switch and said it was fake, but this is a pretty good one.

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

It just occurred to me that I think Jagex should add text indentation for wrapped text.

Mighty-mighty-forum-bug-reporter-uppers GOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Of course no one on here would fall for it, in fact hardly anyone would i think. But perhaps a poor noob that doesn't know the basics? They wouldn't be worth hijacking though.

Regardless, it just goes to show that scammers are finding more and more ways :rolleyes:

Hexiled Razz. Player since March 8th, 2005.

look for a gold crown

/thread

To be honest, I think this summed it up nicely. Anyone who has an account worth stealing should know that. Clever, but still.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

look for a gold crown

/thread

To be honest, I think this summed it up nicely. Anyone who has an account worth stealing should know that. Clever, but still.

Last I hecked they even spam it at you in account creation and tutorial now that:

1) Jagex won;t contact* you anywhere but their own forum message inbox system, anyone pming or emailling claiming to be jagex is scamming

2) Pmods have silver crowns, jmods have gold crowns. Anyone without a crown is not a mod.

*obviously meaning important personal contact not email newsletters they occasionally do and obviously some mods have social pm conversations with some users.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I don't really believe it's the player's own fault for being scammed any more than I would believe it's an old lady's fault for being scammed in real life by rogue traders promising to do her boiler up for free. In both cases, someone has gone out to purposefully deceive and manipulate somebody else's free will in a predatory manner.

That said, there really isn't anything Jagex can do. One gripe I've had with this update is the lack of indentation when the text falls into the next line. I wish it was something more like:

Gingy Warr: blah blah blah
  	   text continues here

Wouldn't that solve this problem?

I read about this first in the Mod forums and was a little concerned, but once I saw a picture I knew I wouldn't get caught, but I'm sure someone will. I also know Jagex is aware of this and are looking into it.

Thats an interesting story that I find to be quite engaging.

From Mod Mark: Hi whats your pass?

Oh hey Mark! Nice to talk to you again. I'm not sure why you need my password, but it's ..... hey wait ....

Although most of us know well that jagex will put a message in your inbox instead of randomly pming you, the scammers sure have gotten advanced to be able to actually have mod mark in the name....

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

Mod Mark is the lead designer; he basically manages the content developers. AKA - He has absolutely nothing to do with P-Mods/F-Mods. Also recruitment has been stuck on hold since August due to some UK laws preventing them from recruit 'volunteer mods'. If you didn't know any of those two, they wouldn't send you off to external sites and such whats. I guess it would be believable to some people but just ask yourself... where is the crown? No crown = They're trying to phish your password.

Jibby

Sneaky bastards.

I agree with indenting multi-line messages, or perhaps bolding or colouring the actual name to distinguish it from the message.

DEGqA.pngQtYSR.pngHY2Ll.png

The website has a ,tk ending. Only an idiot would be fooled. People are idiots, thats why people get scammed. /thread.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]