25-Nov-2011 Quick Poll: RuneFest 2012 Location

Mercifull

Inasmuch as none of the locations offered are actually close to me although New York and Chicago are both just under 800km away and that I have no intention of actually attending such activities anyway, Id like to think that my own opinion in this matter is entirely unbiased.

As such, Id like to point out that, in an effort to build interest in the game itself and lets face it, with fewer than 100,000 people now playing at any given time, Runescape needs the interest itd be a far better way to garner more attention for the game itself to have Runefest in New York than in London.

While I appreciate that Runescape is a British game and I am constantly reminding my American friends of this fact it is important that the Euros in this forum find out what a media madhouse the United States and, in particular, New York City has become.

A 1-minute sound byte on CNN would get a hell of a lot more attention than any 10-minute session on BBC News, for example and, trust me, this comes from someone who gets her world news from the BBC.

For the purposes of what is best for the game, I think its high time that Runescape got out of its localized affect, and made an effort to expand its appeal to a wider market.

Who knows? If its held in NYC, maybe Chuck Norris, Mr. T. and William Shatner will attend? :rolleyes:

nyuseg.png

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who knows? If its held in NYC, maybe Chuck Norris, Mr. T. and William Shatner will attend? :rolleyes:

Now THAT would be worth a few hundred bucks to go see. :thumbup:

Perhaps RS needs it's own celebrity spokespeople. Maybe Matt Smith, David Tennant and Daniel Radcliffe. Or for a North American audience Nathan Fillion, Seth Rogen and Niel Patrick Harris.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

There's only 1 city where this should be held:

Amsterdam

Everyone speaks english there.

The Netherlands has the highest density of players as well as subscribers (by far).

It's a short distance from Jagex HQ, a round trip can be done in 12 hours.

It's a rough equal distance from the UK, Germany, France, and it's not a horribly long travel from the nordic countries.

Some local vegetable might make the experience all that better.

The nightlife is pretty awesome as well (amazing opportunities for pre and post parties)

You've always wanted to go there, but now you have a more believable excuse to do so :D

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

It would be nice to see Jagex host it in a city other then London one year. Theres a huge mass of players that due to money reasons haven't been able to attend the prior two. I don't think it would be too unfair to rotate the location around every here and there. I also don't think it would take away from the game because I mean come on, Not every single staff member needs to be taken off their projects. The top few and a handfull would be fine, Wouldn't it? Do Jagex staff members even work on the weekend? I'm pretty sure its held on the weekend and I figured MOST if not all would have weekends off. Also about America hosting the other events, I don't see how it relates to the runescape location at all. I have no interest in going to those as I'm not involved in those games.

34zljex.png

Huzzah.png

Tbh my main reason for really hoping they won't stray too far from London/Cambridge is primarily that one of the greatest pro's of Runefest is the oportunity to talk to the developers/Jagex staff. Over the two events that have been held all staff has been there on their "own time and dime" (assuming they got atleast some parts of room and board covered, but still.) Even New York (the closest of current alternatives) means a 7h flight each way + additiional time for getting to airport, check-in, immigration (Hello there USI &TSA) so let's say 10h travel each way at the nifty price starting at £550 round-trip, I'd expect the actual price to go a fair bit higher due to less flexibility with times etc etc. How many JMods were at Runefest? 50? So 1000 man-hours lost purely to travel (not counting extra padding-time in each end) and atleast £30K and counting for airfare. I'd personally like to see those sort of resources go towards a better event/better game, but that's my opinion.

Siobhana.jpeg

Siobhana.png

Siobhana.png

Ty Jeppoz for making it. Thx to the Pup for finding it after it got lost :D And thx to Kill_Life and Turtle for the ava.

Stoltenberg, 22/7-11: "We will retaliate with more democracy" In remembrance of Oslo/Utøya. May we never forget, nor be pulled down to the level of the beast

And everyone will take that trip as their opportunity to legally use datweed and other drugs

edit: I see you included it there already :lol:

Lol, they are trying to make more of it illegal in time. But yeah I want Amsterdam too, might even consider going to it :)

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

As an event I think it would be better for players in New York. I also think for publicity's sake it would be better there than in London, so I voted New York. However, I can understand the logistic and financial problems of physically getting that many employees over to the US to attend the event.

Of course, it's questionable whether I should've been allowed to vote in the first place, since I've no intention of attending the event whether it's held in Preston or Brisbane.

Thats the beautiful thing about hosting it on a weekend when most of the staff have time off anyways, No man power is lost! I doubt Jagex has coders in during the weekend, Maybe one or two incase of a random issue. Either way I think New York could have more people then their London venue as it'll open up the option to a whole host of people other then those that have already been able to pay to fly over and attend the event. I mean if Jagex could re-fund everyones tickets and host the event for free the first time whos to say they couldn't afford to spend a little to do it at a new location? Also they don't really need 50 jmods on site. I mean sure it would be neat but Im sure most couldn't even name 50 JMods they would like to meet or know their names.

34zljex.png

Huzzah.png

Thats the beautiful thing about hosting it on a weekend when most of the staff have time off anyways, No man power is lost! I doubt Jagex has coders in during the weekend, Maybe one or two incase of a random issue. Either way I think New York could have more people then their London venue as it'll open up the option to a whole host of people other then those that have already been able to pay to fly over and attend the event. I mean if Jagex could re-fund everyones tickets and host the event for free the first time whos to say they couldn't afford to spend a little to do it at a new location? Also they don't really need 50 jmods on site. I mean sure it would be neat but Im sure most couldn't even name 50 JMods they would like to meet or know their names.

But man hours would be lost, even for a weekend event, if its not in the UK.

People would have to fly out friday and back on the monday, which accounting for jetlag etc. means 2 full days lost per jmod at the event.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Yes but I'm sure in that case the majority of mods would stay to fill their job. I highly doubt that it would make a major difference if noticeable at all. Its not like they would need to send out half their staff or anything. Also I'm sure with enough notice Jagex would have no problem working around the event. Two days for a few mods (Esp the more well known ones, MMG, Andrew, Others) woudln't account for a huge loss. I'm sure they're smart enough that they could work the trip into the timeline without a loss or if so a small one. Its not like they are in their offices programming day in and day out. I wonder if you're just clenching onto it because the London event is easier for you personally to go to. Jagex wouldn't suffer if it was hosted somewhere else I'm sure its a large enough company it would do fine.

34zljex.png

Huzzah.png

ITT: Europeans being jelly that New York is gonna win

I voted for New York, because i live here, and smelly cabbage eating Londoners don't deserve to have fun

Ok i don't mean to troll too hard lol, but London has had it twice in a row and the US vote is being split between 3 locations anyway so calm down. As far as im concerned just bump up the ticket prices to compensate for the added cost to jagex, *shrug*

Personally a method of alternating London then a new location every other year would be the best to me.

29bc22o.png

[hide=drops]10 black masks, 39 dragon boots, 21 whip, 9 dark bow, 7 dragon legs, 8 mauls, 3 dragon left half, 2 dragon spear, 2 hexcrest, 1 kbd heads, 10 dragon med, 2 R ammy, 2 granite legs, 1 bandos boots , 1 bandos hilt , 1 bandos chestplate, 1 saradomin sword(ls), 2 dragon claws(ls)(solo)[/hide]

[hide=Viralaether's guide to Mac use]1) take your mac

2) drop it off your roof

3) ??????

4) Profit![/hide]1/7/9 quest cape ||| 5/6/9 all diaries ||| 7/14/9 300 rank MA ||| 4998th to 99 summoning on 2/27/10

I voted for NY. If it was to come to NY, it would be something I'd consider to do... maybe.

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

ITT: Europeans being jelly that New York is gonna win

I voted for New York, because i live here, and smelly cabbage eating Londoners don't deserve to have fun

Ok i don't mean to troll too hard lol, but London has had it twice in a row and the US vote is being split between 3 locations anyway so calm down. As far as im concerned just bump up the ticket prices to compensate for the added cost to jagex, *shrug*

Personally a method of alternating London then a new location every other year would be the best to me.

It wouldn't necessarily justify the costs to win by a mere 3% (33% as opposed to 30%). That's 10% more 'interest' (not revenue!) in NY over London - is that even sufficient?

You must remember people in North America and the like had to choose between three spots while I'm pretty sure the whole UK picked London. The poll isn't really that accurate. You add that up and there sure seems to be a lot of interest to atleast have Runefest somewhere in North America doesn't it? I fully believe if the choices were London or NY, NY would have buried London.

34zljex.png

Huzzah.png

You must remember people in North America and the like had to choose between three spots while I'm pretty sure the whole UK picked London. The poll isn't really that accurate. You add that up and there sure seems to be a lot of interest to atleast have Runefest somewhere in North America doesn't it? I fully believe if the choices were London or NY, NY would have buried London.

But then we get back to the point of domestic vs international travel meaning US has 5:1 population over the UK so does it really show a fair result if America wins on mere population numerics, where as if you weight it etc interest % could be higher for uk.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

But is it truly fair for a North American player to have to shell out 100s of dollars more then a UK player to attend RuneFest because it would never be local? It'd be nice for players who otherwise wouldn't have the chance to take part, wouldn't it? I mean that shows a lot of North American interest in attending RuneFest, I'm sure it would be quite the event. On that note I'd also like to see RuneFest in other parts of the world later on.

34zljex.png

Huzzah.png

But then we get back to the point of domestic vs international travel meaning US has 5:1 population over the UK so does it really show a fair result if America wins on mere population numerics, where as if you weight it etc interest % could be higher for uk.

It's not only the UK voting for London, but most likely the majority of players in all of Europe. Someone pointed out earlier that Europe has over twice the population of the USA, so wouldn't that show much more interest for taking RuneFest abroad next time?

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

It's not only the UK voting for London, but most likely the majority of players in all of Europe. Someone pointed out earlier that Europe has over twice the population of the USA, so wouldn't that show much more interest for taking RuneFest abroad next time?

A LOT of Europeans don't even speak English (or the other languages Runescape is available in), so population counts are mostly irrelevant. It's pretty obvious it's going to be in the USA after seeing the poll. Though it still irks me when people are making up crazy reason London is more "deserving" or Runefest. UK had it twice, give us Americans a chance, okay?

inb4 umpteen more pages of "Jagex is a British company - keep RF in the UK"

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

A LOT of Europeans don't even speak English (or the other languages Runescape is available in), so population counts are mostly irrelevant. It's pretty obvious it's going to be in the USA after seeing the poll. Though it still irks me when people are making up crazy reason London is more "deserving" or Runefest. UK had it twice, give us Americans a chance, okay?

inb4 umpteen more pages of "Jagex is a British company - keep RF in the UK"

I think the more relevant questions would be - of those categories, which parts of the market are more loyal to the RuneScape? Why not both locations on an annual basis (one during Easter, one during Winter)? Is there any alternative forms of conventions that could be hosted, should the location not be chosen?

Bah, I still don't want to travel internationally to go to a convention. Hmmph.

I apologize for reviving an old topic, but it completely skipped my mind that in America-land, it'll exclude those between the ages of 13-20, given that alcohol laws are more restrictive in the USA.

Is this a significant factor that players have neglected?

I apologize for reviving an old topic, but it completely skipped my mind that in America-land, it'll exclude those between the ages of 13-20, given that alcohol laws are more restrictive in the USA.

This is very true never thought of that!

As far as I am aware Britain is one of the most lenient with the drinking age; most other countries (particularly english speaking ones) are 21 opposed to 18.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

This is very true never thought of that!

As far as I am aware Britain is one of the most lenient with the drinking age; most other countries (particularly english speaking ones) are 21 opposed to 18.

Actually it's totally irrelevant. Most venues in North America have designated areas within their operation which are deemed "all ages", while at the same time provide the service of alcohol to those who are clearly of legal drinking age (or can privide I.D.).

:-P

nyuseg.png